Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts offseason discussion / Ballard Grievances (merge)

8 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

I think Sneed saying he hopes to stay with the Chiefs isn't anything to be troubled with. Almost all players use that rhetoric when their contract is up. And if the Chiefs were to satisfy his wants financially, of course he would like to stay there. But in the end, the majority of the time, it always comes down to the money.

Yeah no doubt.

I just think at this point, if the draft compensation has been figured out(who even knows?), the money shouldn't of been that hard, and doubt Ballard would let him walk over $1-$2m AAV.  As it seems he really wants him.

Sneed either going back and forth on taking the pay day and leaving or going for 3 peat on tag

KC debating if they want to just run it back with Sneed on tag(if he isn't disgruntled about it), or if they need his resources elsewhere?

Can only be so many things. Money and trade compensation is the easy part and you just walk away by this point. Maybe we have?

Hopefully this goes through today, or at least get some resolution. Maybe that comes with a signing of someone else?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, w87r said:

Hopefully this goes through today, or at least get some resolution. Maybe that comes with a signing of someone else?

The very young DB group needs a vet presence on the back end

I hope they get the much needed FS in FA

I would rather have a FA CB, but this defense MIGHT/ SHOULD ......... can run with less expensive, zone CBs

Pass rush makes all DBs look MUCH better.......

No pass rush makes even good DBs look poorly....... In this defense 

Seems pretty clear to me Sneed wants more than the colts want to pay.  Doesnt look like an on going negotiation to me at all.  In the past CB has talked about how he makes and offer and doesnt budge much from there, maybe on details but not if they are millions of $ off.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The very young DB group needs a vet presence on the back end

I hope they get the much needed FS in FA

I would rather have a FA CB, but this defense MIGHT/ SHOULD ......... can run with less expensive, zone CBs

Pass rush makes all DBs look MUCH better.......

No pass rush makes even good DBs look poorly....... In this defense 

McCloud came here a few years ago to add depth. The more he played the better our D was. We absolutely need that for this year's D. 

Steichen has to order Bradley to have more timely blitz packages. To do that we must have one CB we can trust on an island. Like Gilmore did.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Seems pretty clear to me Sneed wants more than the colts want to pay.  Doesnt look like an going negotiation to me at all.  In the past CB has talked about how he makes and offer and doesnt budge much from there, maybe on details but not if they are millions of $ off.

This is consistently true. It's how you prepare to manage your cap for future signings of your own players.

A very wise man (me) has posted that you need a good number of good players, that have played together, in their years 4-7, to be a really good team.

We have a pretty talented group in that bracket. The Ryan cap hits were a real setback.

Pray that Pierce, Woods, Cross, and Juju prove their merit.

• Like 2

:2c:

If all of the Ballard "won't pay or overpay" depending on how you look at its speculation turns out to be true as to why Sneed will not become a Colt, then Ballard has to go. Not joking or saying something to troll or start an argument here. 

We as a team cannot continue this cycle of not paying top talent and substitute that for mid to low tier FA talent and money coupled with drafting guys hoping they become top tier talent. The bolded is his pattern and it has not worked from a progression of this team into a consistent top tier caliber team. 

That cycle has got us zero divisions and one playoff game in his tenure and the AFC south is only getting stronger.

Every time this happens with contractual monetary demands, the fan base on this forum backs Ballard for not overpaying for top talent and every off-season we have the same dilemma and discussion. If all on here are not able to see that the Ballard cycle continues to fail, then this team, aside from getting lucky one year where we might win a division because of other teams' ineptitude, this team will NEVER be consistently vying for an upper tier team position in the league.  Facts. 

If the Sneed trade goes through, I will applaud Ballard as it is what is currently best for this team's interest in becoming substantially better in a position, we absolutely need improvement in. If this player is not secured because of an asking price, then I'm personally done with Ballard. I will never give this guy a break ever again. Granted, my opinion or what I do means nothing, I'm just speaking from a fan and how I would approach his handling of this franchise moving forward. 

Pay Sneed and let's get offensive playmakers in the top 3 rounds. 

-Peace

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If all of the Ballard "won't pay or overpay" depending on how you look at its speculation turns out to be true as to why Sneed will not become a Colt, then Ballard has to go. Not joking or saying something to troll or start an argument here. 

Strange logic to me.  Over paying means its more than we should pay.

If we shouldnt do it then we shouldn't do it.  We have to draw a line somewhere, he cant just take the team to the cleaners

36 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Sneed was a 4th round draft pic. Ballard will move on from Sneed , the draft is loaded with corners, he will draft one and maybe bring in a cheaper vet. Ballard isn't overpaying for Sneed.

what does his draft position have to do with anything? Is he or is he not one of the best corners in the game right now? 

he is… He will be better in 2024 and the foreseeable future than the 1st rounders in this years draft. So again- what does draft position have to do with anything? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Strange logic to me.  Over paying means its more than we should pay.

If we shouldnt do it then we shouldn't do it.  We have to draw a line somewhere, he cant just take the team to the cleaners

If you believe that my take on paying the player means we should just give the player a blank check that is not what I'm advocating. I think we all should know based on what we have heard in the past is that Ballard will not give a player normally more than what his view of market value is. 

With that said, Pittman I feel was given more than his market value and Ballard did that, however I think that was done as I really don't believe that Colts had a choice there as Pittman was the only viable receiver on the market and the Colts have very little behind him.

Sneed is different. It's a top tier player of need as if we would have gone after Bryce Huff as an example. If you want the best available to increase your teams outlook, you have to pay them or someone else will. 

My take is paying players of top talent the premium they have earned if it's going to raise your teams value and chances of winning championships.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

what does his draft position have to do with anything? Is he or is he not one of the best corners in the game right now? 

he is… He will be better in 2024 and the foreseeable future than the 1st rounders in this years draft. So again- what does draft position have to do with anything?

Good corners can be found in later rounds. Don't hold your breath on Ballard trading for him. It's not going to happen.

2 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah no doubt.

I just think at this point, if the draft compensation has been figured out(who even knows?), the money shouldn't of been that hard, and doubt Ballard would let him walk over $1-$2m AAV.  As it seems he really wants him.

Sneed either going back and forth on taking the pay day and leaving or going for 3 peat on tag

KC debating if they want to just run it back with Sneed on tag(if he isn't disgruntled about it), or if they need his resources elsewhere?

Can only be so many things. Money and trade compensation is the easy part and you just walk away by this point. Maybe we have?

I agree and think that the trade compensation has been agreed to.  I think Sneed and the Colts have agreed to the AAV.  I don’t see that as the problem either.  I think Ballard wants three years and Sneed wants four.  Sneed wants more guaranteed money and the way he gets it is through a longer contract.  Ballard has pegged all new contracts at three years or less to coincide with AR receiving his first new contract in three years.  I think one party has to budge for the deal to complete.  If neither budges soon Ballard is going to look elsewhere.  I can see today being the day.    It’s clear to me Ballard wants a new veteran starting cornerback.  If it’s not Sneed he will bring in someone else.  He could have gone to FA but instead he tried to trade for Sneed.  I can see him still trading for a cornerback.  Maybe from a team that is rebuilding.  Hopefully the Sneed deal is done today.  If not I think he will be on the phone finding another way.  He knows he can’t risk going into the new season with the same secondary.  He actually might be losing Blackmon.  He can’t afford that risk.  So I think a couple of veteran additions will be coming.  Very good players too.

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Here is the clip. She says she thinks closer to draft. Ballard can’t wait that long.

Waiting until dang near the draft to make “a”

move is the part that would worry me. Still

have a substantial hole at FS without Blackmon there. I’m honestly shifting towards drafting one at 15. However, I have a feeling they would rather wrap up having the CB roomed filled so they can go either WR, Bowers, or edge in the draft. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

have a substantial hole at FS without Blackmon there. I’m honestly shifting towards drafting one at 15. However, I have a feeling they would rather wrap up having the CB roomed filled so they can go either WR, Bowers, or edge in the draft. 

:facepalm:

Again, IF TRUE, and if it's a "closer to the draft" type of scenario then this smells like the same old Bargain Ballard hoping to catch a break where nobody is bidding on Ebay as the auction time is running out instead of just clicking the "buy now" button. Problem here is that the seller is content to just keep the item and relist at another point. 

I'm not good with this approach and it is getting really old. Seems the Colts really don't want the player or like other teams, they would have just snagged him by now and moved on to the part of the off-season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, runthepost said:

If the Sneed trade doesn’t go through can we ban tweets from these wannabe insiders who have no sources? Or have less than 2k followers 

Actually Diana’s info was 100% exactly what Destin said. He had been vindicated. She said she almost fired off a tweet saying it was done and had been traded.

43 minutes ago, adubb84 said:

If Ballard is still focusing on this trade for Sneed near draft time and neglecting FA and other positions of need he needs to be fired. You’re missing out on opportunities to better this team around Richardson while he’s on a rookie deal. 

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

If Ballard it’s still focusing on this trade for Sneed near draft time and neglecting FA and other positions I’d need he needs to be fired. You’re missing out on opportunities to better this team around Richardson while he’s on a rookie deal. 

I doubt Ballard will not make a move on a FA DB ( CB or S) until close to draft date. That would be crazy.

53 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Which other vet CBs are still on the market? Anyone worth bringing in?

How about safeties? This is probably the area I feel needs the most attention. 

Wonder if Gilly would come back?

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I wouldn’t read this thread if I were you.

I'd say resigning the original players was always going to be the main plan. Chris even said it during the combine. 

• Like 2

Holder has turned into Ballards puppet. He tells him things he wants out there for a reason.

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'd say resigning the original players was always going to be the main plan. Chris even said it during the combine. 

Right. It wasn’t resigning or getting sneed. Now we might of had to let players go if we wanted sneed and hunter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

It would cost too much money to wait until the draft and that would hamstring the team in the mean time  

No point in waiting, do it or move on.

Why do you think you know the internal workings of an NFL team to write:  “No point in waiting…”.   ????   

The Colts have waited before.   Today starts week two of FA.   There is so much time left.   Things don’t have to happen simply because the fan base wants it to happen NOW.   

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think you know the internal workings of an NFL team to write:  “No point in waiting…”.   ????   

The Colts have waited before.   Today starts week two of FA.   There is so much time left.   Things don’t have to happen simply because the fan base wants it to happen NOW.   

Agreed. Chris has always maintained his position of waiting until after the initial feeding frenzy before going on the attack. 

I'm not saying I always agree with this approach, but it's just how he always plays it and will continue to play it. 

Just remember there is a reason Ballard put this info out to holder. There is a reason and holder is just a mouth piece. I would be embarrassed if I was holder.

I doubt he's embarrassed. Dude's getting paid handsomely... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just remember there is a reason Ballard put this info out to holder. There is a reason and holder is just a mouth piece. I would be embarrassed if I was holder.

Sneed isn't a Colt yet.   We will see if it happens or not

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

? What did he do lol.

31 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Actually Diana’s info was 100% exactly what Destin said. He had been vindicated. She said she almost fired off a tweet saying it was done and had been traded.

It’s been 5 days since he said they are ironing out the details and the trade is done. We still waiting on a physical from Friday correct?

3 hours ago, w87r said:

Yeah no doubt.

I wonder if KC, due to cap considerations, may not really want him back, since then, they would have to pay him the franchise price tag?