Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Jim Irsay speaks publicly (merged)

csmopar

• 1 month later...

Irsay refutes overdose rumors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.com/news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-on-the-mend-refutes-overdose-speculation/amp/

“It wasn’t an overdose,’’ Irsay said. “I don’t know why when you have your name in the paper in the past, people throw that out there quickly. I don’t pay attention to it all that much, but I don’t think it’s fair.’’

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't know either way but someone with a history like his and has been in rehab "at least 15 times" it is not a stretch to assume it was an overdose.

I had no idea he was only 64.  I thought he was closer to being in his 80's.

Last December, police were called to Jim Irsay’s home around 4:30 a.m. ET and found him in bed unresponsive and cold during what authorities called a "suspected overdose."

However, the Indianapolis Colts owner denied the authorities' report.

"It wasn’t an overdose,’’ Irsay said to Fox 59 in Indianapolis. "I don’t know why when you have your name in the paper in the past, people throw that out there quickly. I don’t pay attention to it all that much, but I don’t think it’s fair."

"It's a long road and you have to be patient. The great news is everything is going well," a hospitalized Irsay said in March after he underwent a procedure on his right leg.

The leg procedure was performed in an effort to improve Irsay's mobility. The 64-year-old also revealed that he has undergone "26 surgeries over the last seven years."

The billionaire was the subject of a "Real Sports" interview with Andrea Kremer in November, when he said he has been to rehab "at least 15 times." He also mentioned a near-death situation that gave him an epiphany. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/colts-owner-jim-irsay-denies-overdosed-police-found-him-unresponsive-december

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I don't know either way but someone with a history like his and has been in rehab "at least 15 times" it is not a stretch to assume it was an overdose.

Last December, police were called to Jim Irsay’s home around 4:30 a.m. ET and found him in bed unresponsive and cold during what authorities called a "suspected overdose."

"It wasn’t an overdose,’’ Irsay said to Fox 59 in Indianapolis. "I don’t know why when you have your name in the paper in the past, people throw that out there quickly. I don’t pay attention to it all that much, but I don’t think it’s fair."

"It's a long road and you have to be patient. The great news is everything is going well," a hospitalized Irsay said in March after he underwent a procedure on his right leg.

The leg procedure was performed in an effort to improve Irsay's mobility. The 64-year-old also revealed that he has undergone "26 surgeries over the last seven years."

The billionaire was the subject of a "Real Sports" interview with Andrea Kremer in November, when he said he has been to rehab "at least 15 times." He also mentioned a near-death situation that gave him an epiphany. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/colts-owner-jim-irsay-denies-overdosed-police-found-him-unresponsive-december

So why question it?  It doesn't really matter to anyone but him and his family

30 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So why question it?  It doesn't really matter to anyone but him and his family

Honest question; do you think Jim's history with substance abuse negatively impacts the team? The media certainly believes so. I constantly hear media say players, coaches, and front office personnel don't want to come here because of Jim's addiction history and personality.

Every player I've seen talk about Jim absolutely loves him and says he's one of their favorite people in the world.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DattMavis said:

Honest question; do you think Jim's history with substance abuse negatively impacts the team? The media certainly believes so. I constantly hear media say players, coaches, and front office personnel don't want to come here because of Jim's addiction history and personality.

Every player I've seen talk about Jim absolutely loves him and says he's one of their favorite people in the world.

To the bolded, I don't constantly hear that. I see people say it on the Internet. It was a big thing when we were looking for a HC, how candidates would be scared off because of how the Reich/Saturday thing went, Irsay's meddling, etc. One specific theory was Sirianni would tell Steichen not to take the Colts job. We see how that went.

Does Irsay's history negatively impact the team? I'd like to know if there's any examples where you think it has.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

48 minutes ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, I don't constantly hear that. I see people say it on the Internet. It was a big thing when we were looking for a HC, how candidates would be scared off because of how the Reich/Saturday thing went, Irsay's meddling, etc. One specific theory was Sirianni would tell Steichen not to take the Colts job. We see how that went.

Does Irsay's history negatively impact the team? I'd like to know if there's any examples where you think it has.

Already posted here:

15 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It's gotta be frustrating for him as a recovering addict, that as soon as anything happens to him or people think he is acting different. Everyone assumes he's fallen off the wagon, I would say don't fall for the sensationalism.

He's just gotta let it roll off his shoulders.  

31 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

It's gotta be frustrating for him as a recovering addict, that as soon as anything happens to him or people think he is acting different. Everyone assumes he's fallen off the wagon, I would say don't fall for the sensationalism.

Maybe people assumed that because of his serious addiction problems in the past and the fact that he was found unresponsive at 4:30 am. Or because the police report said it was a suspected overdose? 
I’m not trying to  pile on Jim Irsay. I truly hope he’s over his drug issues. I applaud anyone who has overcome addiction. But it’s understandable that people would make assumptions based upon how his latest mishap played out. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Maybe people assumed that because of his serious addiction problems in the past and the fact that he was found unresponsive at 4:30 am. Or because the police report said it was a suspected overdose? 
I’m not trying to  pile on Jim Irsay. I truly hope he’s over his drug issues. I applaud anyone who has overcome addiction. But it’s understandable that people would make assumptions based upon how his latest mishap played out. 

My thoughts exactly.  It is a reasonable assumption.  

3 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think his history has negatively impacted the team, so I can't give you any examples. I said the players love him and only say good things.

Yes, the media still mentions Jim being a reason people don't want to come here. Cowherd said it a few months back and I watched an ESPN clip during free agency where someone said it there too. I disagree with them, but yes, they still say it.

• Superman changed the title to Update: Jim Irsay speaks publicly (merged)
6 hours ago, Myles said:

I merged this since there's an ongoing discussion.

1 hour ago, DattMavis said:

I don't think his history has negatively impacted the team, so I can't give you any examples. I said the players love him and only say good things.

Yes, the media still mentions Jim being a reason people don't want to come here. Cowherd said it a few months back and I watched an ESPN clip during free agency where someone said it there too. I disagree with them, but yes, they still say it.

I guess media could be saying stuff that I don't hear, I should acknowledge that. I just don't think anyone sourced or serious is saying it. It doesn't seem like those opinions are based on anything reputable. 

I was personally concerned that the way things went with Reich and Saturday could undermine the coaching search. It doesn't seem like that happened. The Colts interviewed a ton of good candidates, and wound up getting one of the more sought after guys. They got a highly sought after GM in 2017. There was the McDaniels treachery, but I think he was just a slimeball. 

The Colts are not a big free agent destination, I don't think that has anything to do with Irsay. I think free agents sign with the team that offers the most money, almost all the time. We've seen the Colts attract QBs like Rivers, Ryan, etc. Even Baker Mayfield listed the Colts as a desired landing spot in 2022. Maybe there's a player here or there who's turned off by Irsay, but I don't think anything like that has ever been reported. Like you said, the players only say good things. Anyone who goes on the record says good things. Former players call on him to introduce them to the HOF. 

I just wanted to throw out there that despite the whispers and stuff, it doesn't seem like there's any substance to the idea that the Colts operation is negatively affected by Irsay.

• Like 2

There are no owners in the NFL that are perfect people. Some owner's demons are more public, some not so much, but they all have them. There's much more to the free agency issue and the Colts than most are aware of. There are a lot of intangibles most will never consider. That said, there is more to almost every aspect of any organization that most will ever be aware of. Those are often the things that matter most.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Maybe his mannerisms, speech, and occasional (apparent) emotional public interjections (Saturday, comments about Daniel Snyder, etc.) play a part in public perception.

A truly recovering addict would admit his contribution to public perception and would not lay it off onto bigots, as he is indirectly doing.   He's probably not truly recovered and I would take anything he says about his issue as being a flat out lie until proven otherwise.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe his mannerisms, speech, and occasional (apparent) emotional public interjections (Saturday, comments about Daniel Snyder, etc.) play a part in public perception.

A truly recovering addict would admit his contribution to public perception and would not lay it off onto bigots, as he is indirectly doing.   He's probably not truly recovered and I would take anything he says about his issue as being a flat out lie until proven otherwise.

He doesn't need to prove anything to you or anyone else. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

He doesn't need to prove anything to you or anyone else. 

What an extreme weird response.  The convo is simply about public perception of his personal issues, to the extent that it even matters.  He commented on it, so it seems to matter to him at least a little bit.  Nobody is suggesting that Irsay has to account to internet forums.  

Whatever his health scare was I wish him quick recovery. Jim is far from a perfect person and far from a perfect owner, but his heart seems to be in the right place and the love and support this fanbase is showing him(which is not the norm in the league) is an indication that for the most part the fans consider him a good owner of the franchise. 

On 4/22/2024 at 6:55 PM, w87r said:

Irsay refutes overdose rumors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox59.com/news/colts-owner-jim-irsay-on-the-mend-refutes-overdose-speculation/amp/

“It wasn’t an overdose,’’ Irsay said. “I don’t know why when you have your name in the paper in the past, people throw that out there quickly. I don’t pay attention to it all that much, but I don’t think it’s fair.’’

Irsay should sue those people saying it was a drug overdose. I bet if that happens, they will shut their traps when his name is mentioned again in the news lmao . He threatened to sue ESPN a while back for what they said and he still could, the statute of limitations here in Indiana is 2 years to sue someone for defamation. 

He is genuine. What you see is who he is. Challenged in learning the trade through his father, he was wise to have guys like Polian to help him. He was lucky to draft Manning and his short stint with Luck. Hopefully his next break is Steichen and Richardson. He has given enough rope for Ballard to climb out of his past decision.  I hope his daughters are sorting things out to take over within the next 5 years.

1 hour ago, AustexColt said:

He is genuine. What you see is who he is. Challenged in learning the trade through his father, he was wise to have guys like Polian to help him. He was lucky to draft Manning and his short stint with Luck. Hopefully his next break is Steichen and Richardson. He has given enough rope for Ballard to climb out of his past decision.  I hope his daughters are sorting things out to take over within the next 5 years.

Well you don’t have to worry too much. The Irsay daughters are very involved and seem to be learning as much as possible.