Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pick #92 is...TY Hilton (merge)

WesurehavesomeLuck

best kr/pr in college. how long have we been wanting and screaming for that? is going to be a slot recieving beast. and has that long ball speed for sure. has desean jackson speed and size. he is not just fast but he is very quick with ball in his hands. WINNING!!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't nearly as bad as some people are making out. Lad has talent. The only bit I'm not sure on, is whether we needed to give up next year's 5 for it. But I certainly don't think he's a bad player or it's a bad pick.

I was a trade back, not up guy this whole time. Still am. But to calm my nerves, I'll consider the FA (or two, or three) the Colts sign next year when there is gobs of cap room will certainly be better than the 5th round pick they would have selected. And I like Hilton a lot.

While most media outlets have projected Hilton as a mid- to late-round pick, sources have told me that Hilton is high on most NFL team draft boards and that he could be a second round pick and a third rounder at the latest. The fact that all 32 teams attended the FIU Pro Day only validates that belief.

Maybe not a reach after all.

Do you think Bill polian would come back if we asked him very nicely?

What kinda talk is this? The players haven't even taken the field yet chill..... I like Hilton but just wish we should have went defense in one of the early rounds...

Hilton could be the colts desean Jackson

Im not saying I love it, but Davis made a good point. He could get some nice yards every time he gets the ball. He could be a good #2 in a couple of years.

I like it. Gives us the guy that can take a top off the defense. Could open things up for our 2 new TEs. As well as finally getting a return man! Surprised people dislike it, how long have we been complaining about poor return guys? KR may be less important now, but PR hasnt changed. Interesting 2 days to say the least but im...intrigued.

Peter King@SI_PeterKing

Somebody has to explain what the Colts did. Destitute on defense. Defensive coach. Switching to 3-4. No defensive picks. Bueller? Bueller?

I agree with Peter King to a degree. But, seriously, weren't they destitute everywhere? And I think the #1 priority with a #1 QB, especially of Luck's caliber, is to make sure he has something to play with. They did that. Maybe a receiver or two next year, perhaps an OL somewhere if the need be, but they're giving him the tools to succeed early. Young guys on defense won't have their career shot because they aren't given enough tools, and that's just not the case with Luck. I think it is pretty smart.

I like it. Gives us the guy that can take a top off the defense. Could open things up for our 2 new TEs. As well as finally getting a return man! Surprised people dislike it, how long have we been complaining about poor return guys? KR may be less important now, but PR hasnt changed. Interesting 2 days to say the least but im...intrigued.

People just want defense. I mean I did too but the players I was targeting in the second and third are all off the board so now its all about finding a difference maker. Seriously...how many real difference makers are there in the 4th and 5th rounds and later. Very few and most are just surprises. Any player we take from here on out are guys that will fight to make the team and perhaps we expect to contribute but few few to start or become starters. Maybe we get lucky and we hit someone. This kid can be a difference maker. He may end up a bust but a 4th/5th round bust...not much risk. Could have huge upside. One thing we know is he is a starter. That is something you couldn't say about another player. He will start KR/PR and I see no reason he can't get on the field on offense too. He is a difference maker....at least potentially.

Returner has been a need for years! We pretty much just moved up a handful of spots to make sure we addressed something people have been pleading with us for us to address for years yet people are still upset about it...

Proof that sometimes you just can't make people happy no matter what you do.

He also fills the need for a deep target for Luck. Frankly we did a good job loading up on offense in the first two days. I would guess the next five picks will be defensive sided and we will count on our new defensive minded coach to coach these guys up.

Again guys we aren't trying to fill a few holes to make a run to the Super Bowl we are starting a rebuilding process and frankly we are much deeper on defense at the moment than we are on offense not shocking they are getting offesive players early. It doesn't make sense to draft a franchise QB and then not give him tools to work with.

We'll get to the defensive side of the ball just be patient. We will probably go there with most of our remaining picks and then could very well target it in free agency next year as well as the draft next year.

Returner has been a need for years! We pretty much just moved up a handful of spots to make sure we addressed something people have been pleading with us for us to address for years yet people are still upset about it...

Proof that sometimes you just can't make people happy no matter what you do.

He also fills the need for a deep target for Luck. Frankly we did a good job loading up on offense in the first two days. I would guess the next five picks will be defensive sided and we will count on our new defensive minded coach to coach these guys up.

Again guys we aren't trying to fill a few holes to make a run to the Super Bowl we are starting a rebuilding process and frankly we are much deeper on defense at the moment than we are on offense not shocking they are getting offesive players early. It doesn't make sense to draft a franchise QB and then not give him tools to work with.

We'll get to the defensive side of the ball just be patient. We will probably go there with most of our remaining picks and then could very well target it in free agency next year as well as the draft next year.

ran out of likes!! was also just saying the same thing in another thread. scary! its funny, fans would have gave their first born for a gronk, desean jackson...got those potential and now their all up in arms. Im stoked!!

Hello All,

I am an FIU fan and have followed Hilton all 4 years. You guys got a TREMENDOUS player. He single-handedly took us to both of our bowl games. He has scored td's 5 different ways, Punt Return, Kick Return, Rushing, Receiving and Passing. He owns ALL our schools records and PLAYED GREAT against GREAT competition. He has GREAT hands and elite speed. He's run a 4.29 before his hamstring gave out in the bowl game. I was so sad that the Dolphins did not take him, because I will never get to see him again. I am glad that he will play with Luck as he has arguably one of the best QB's in recent memory coming out of the draft.

You guys that keep saying this is a bad pick have no idea. Hilton is the real deal. He will prove all you doubters wrong. He will be missed in Miami.

Hello All,

I am an FIU fan and have followed Hilton all 4 years. You guys got a TREMENDOUS player. He single-handedly took us to both of our bowl games. He has scored td's 5 different ways, Punt Return, Kick Return, Rushing, Receiving and Passing. He owns ALL our schools records and PLAYED GREAT against GREAT competition. He has GREAT hands and elite speed. He's run a 4.29 before his hamstring gave out in the bowl game. I was so sad that the Dolphins did not take him, because I will never get to see him again. I am glad that he will play with Luck as he has arguably one of the best QB's in recent memory coming out of the draft.

You guys that keep saying this is a bad pick have no idea. Hilton is the real deal. He will prove all you doubters wrong. He will be missed in Miami.

As a guy who has seen much more than me, do you think he's a solid route runner? that's the impression I got both from the 2 or so games I actually caught and the scouting reports I made. I think that's what took my most by surprise, because I just don't see speedy route runners at small schools much.

I really like T.Y. Hilton, as I've said several times. But I think he would have lasted another six picks, at least. I don't know what else we gave up to move back into the third. And I would have expected us to go with Ta'amu if we were going to move back up.

Edit: Looks like we gave up our 4th and our 2013 5th. Interesting. I don't mind giving up that future pick because this draft is stocked, but I don't know that we had to move up to get T.Y. Hilton. Didn't give up very much though. Not complaining.

this guy is gonna be desean jackson type to open the field up for are two te's he ran

the 40 * dash 4.34 twice at his pro day , added this with avery we have speed now something we never had before

having speed opens up the run game and medium game to i love the pick

I really like T.Y. Hilton, as I've said several times. But I think he would have lasted another six picks, at least. I don't know what else we gave up to move back into the third. And I would have expected us to go with Ta'amu if we were going to move back up.

t.Y hilton was late second early 3rd on mock draft he slip so we traded up and grabed him

As a guy who has seen much more than me, do you think he's a solid route runner? that's the impression I got both from the 2 or so games I actually caught and the scouting reports I made. I think that's what took my most by surprise, because I just don't see speedy route runners at small schools much.

He had offers from Florida and WVU. He chose FIU so he could stay home with his kid. Check out what Nick Saban said about him before FIU played 'Bama. He returned a kick against them and that was their championship year. He is an excellent route runner with great hands. We had crappy QB's and he still got it done. With Luck I can't even imagine what this kid will do. He is very consistent, has breakaway speed , and is a game changer. Irsay was correct in moving up to get him

What kinda talk is this? The players haven't even taken the field yet chill..... I like Hilton but just wish we should have went defense in one of the early rounds...

It was meant tongue and cheek(joke)

Also, Colin Cowherd had him as his "sleeper" pick. He was a steal in the third. I watch TONS of college football, and in my own asinine opinion only Blackmon and Floyd were better overall, i.e. Hands, Route-running, Speed, etc. FIU was DREADFUL without him and he took us to two bowl games single-handedly. His nickname is "Goodbye" because if he got past you, it was "Goodbye" to you, lol. If this kid were 6'0" tall he would be a top 15 pick. His 5'10" stature dropped him to the third.

t.Y hilton was late second early 3rd on mock draft he slip so we traded up and grabed him

He had a lot of different grades and slots in a lot of different people's eyes. I figured he'd go in the 4th. And looking at the board, I don't believe he would have been taken before we came back up: Bengals just took Sanu, Giants already took Randle... no telling what the Raiders would have done, but they have a ton of receivers already. I thought we moved up six spots, but we actually only moved up four, so I really believe he would have lasted. But again, I really like him.

Do you think Bill polian would come back if we asked him very nicely?

Seriously? We aren't even through the first draft and your already saying bring back bill p?

What the.... They really needed to give up 4&5 for this? Gave away 6 round pick twice & end up with Stanton for back & bail the Jets out on that deal.

This team needed probably 2 CB's & line help. Nothing!

Poor Chuck!!!

Where is Polian?

Wow another. . . smh I guess you can't please everybody.

if i could give you a +100 I would. Bring some common sense back into the equation.

We have 6 picks tomorrow. Still have our 5th, we lost next years 5th if I remember correctly for something that many colts fans have wanted since ironically enough we got Peyton.

We got one for cheap. and if he falls flat, guess what we lose a 5th rd next year.

I had totally forgot Hilton was in this draft. I remember being impressed watching some FIU* games the past few seasons.

I actually love this pick thinking about it more. He's is a perfect WR for Arians' system (bubble screens, hitches, slants and occasional deep routes).

I have to disagree with Andy about him being Mike Thomas 2.0. Hilton is deadly in the open field and is a solid deep threat. I think he's much more explosive than Thomas. Not saying he will be as good but he reminds me of Mike Wallace a bit.

His problems (like Wallace) is he is small (might struggle with jams) and needs to improve somewhat at route running. I dont remember seeing him run alot of comeback/timing routes.

Not even gonna lie, I LOVE his footwork in and out of routes. It's so crisp.

He's got great hands, he's small but he doesn't go down easy, very quick feet, he was almost always the fastest guy on the field, elusive. No question that he's a good player.

His problems (like Wallace) is he is small (might struggle with jams) and needs to improve somewhat at route running. I dont remember seeing him run alot of comeback/timing routes.

He'll struggle against more physical corners, which is true of every receiver who isn't a monster. Can't all be Larry Fitzgerald, though. His routes are just fine. On the comeback, he might waste a step or two, which is something he'll have to work on in the NFL. But he runs good routes.

He'll struggle against more physical corners, which is true of every receiver who isn't a monster. Can't all be Larry Fitzgerald, though. His routes are just fine. On the comeback, he might waste a step or two, which is something he'll have to work on in the NFL. But he runs good routes.

Dont disagree. I just think expanding on his route running will be the main thing he needs to focus on. Its pretty common amongst most WRs so it doesnt bother me really. Most guys in college these days dont run precise timing routes.

I love the pick.

Other intangibles that most people either don't know or don't care to know...

He is a tireless worker. He was always the first to practice and the last one out.

He is unselfish and tried to make his teammates better.

He is not a diva. He picked FIU when they were coming of a 1-11 year and a 0-12 year prior to that.

He works well with his QB. He worked with three at FIU and excelled with all of them.

He is a family man and you won't catch him with guns or drugs or at a strip club.

Other intangibles that most people either don't know or don't care to know...

He is a tireless worker. He was always the first to practice and the last one out.

He is unselfish and tried to make his teammates better.

He is not a diva. He picked FIU when they were coming of a 1-11 year and a 0-12 year prior to that.

He works well with his QB. He worked with three at FIU and excelled with all of them.

He is a family man and you won't catch him with guns or drugs or at a strip club.

I am sure Grigson and his scouts researched that before picking him for the Colts.

To me, T.Y.Hilton reminds me of Antonio Brown of the Steelers with similar returning abilities and speed.