Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Combine 2024

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chad….   I’ve checked for you twice.   And for some reason that doesn’t make any sense to me, only 9 WRs are listed for the 3-cone results.   That’s it.   And none are the three guys you asked about.   When I key their names into the search function the result is….  there is no result for your search, re-set filters and try again.   ????

I’ll keep trying.   Maybe more names will get loaded later….   

Take off for the night, check in the morning 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I doubt this will be popular, but one WR I do NOT want is Johnny Wilson of Florida State.   I think he’s nearly 6’7” and has a very clunky running style.   Not a fan. 

Maybe if he gains about 15-20 pounds and becomes a tight end.    Maybe.   

NFL Network put up a graphic showing Wilson is the tallest WR in combine history,  all of them were busts except one.  Darren Waller who moved to tight end.  Take the hint Johnny!   Take the hint!

Otherwise….  I’d be happy to let him go elsewhere.   

Ballard loves his annual Tight End Projects haha

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Ballard loves his annual Tight End Projects haha

I didn’t write the post with drafting Wilson in mind.   More to say this kid should not be drafted by anyone to be a WR, he needs a position change in the NFL.   

Personally, I like Ballard’s tight end room.  It’s not great, but I think it’s good and diverse.    I’m sure I’ll get pushback on that view from some.  That’s ok…. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

You could make a case based on tape, testing, and character that he’s WR1. DJ has him as his number 3 overall player, but said he’s his favorite player in the draft. 

Kind of reminds me of an AJ Brown, Anquan Boldin mix as Im skimming over him.  Very reliable although to me he doesn't seem to get much separation. The catches always appear to be very tightly contested.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I didn’t write the post with drafting Wilson in mind.   More to say this kid should not be drafted by anyone to be a WR, he needs a position change in the NFL.   

Personally, I like Ballard’s tight end room.  It’s not great, but I think it’s good and diverse.    I’m sure I’ll get pushback on that view from some.  That’s ok…. 

Would like to see what Woods is after his injury.  And we have a couple of guys that can do the TE receiving bit.  You are right:  the TE room isn't bad.  It's not a blatant need.  It's not great either.  But it's not like we have nobody in that position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@OLD FAN MAN

Hey there!    You're alive!  

I hadn’t heard from you in a few weeks, and you had me a bit worried.   Good to see you!   I have missed your constant trolling of me.  Glad to see you back!   Not being facetious here, totally sincere.  I don’t joke around over life and death issues….   Hope you’re well….

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think they keep MAC, and develop the young folks

We agree

I am starting to think (Hope) that they go after Brian Thomas, Verse, or Latu with 15

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That’s “want to” right there. 

I got Brian Thomas Jr. at 15. 

I'm really trying love him like most, but can't seem to seem to see what everyone else does. I watched LSU vs Bama, Mizzou, Florida, and Florida st last night to get a feel for him. The first two because they had some good defenses and the last two because he had decent games according to the stat sheet.

I can see some good. The speed to blow by a CB is there. Long strider. Can climb the ladder well. Not a body catcher. Been watching some Steve Smith and he goes on about plucking the ball from the air. He's got it.

The bad I saw was mostly involving blocking and effort. He has about one good block in each of those games I watched. One where you can see him go in angry and drive the dude back. The you have some where he takes the play off. I saw twice against mizzou where, during designed runs for Daniels, Thomas just puts his hands up then looks to his right. His defender then gets to Daniels and helps bring him down. One was at the end zone where two defenders pretty much had him, but Thomas's block came in and cleaned it up.

His routes need work and there were a few drops that hit his hands.

This is just what I saw. I can see the measurable and speed, but I don't see him being the WR1 that will do so much better than Pittman. I see an upgrade to only Pierce. If we take a WR at 15 (Bowers, odunze, nabers, MHJ [duh], Latu, and Quinyon Mitchell are gone) then I'd like us to grab Adonai Mitchell.

Mitchell can attack any part of the field with smooth route running and just as good speed. Only thing about him is Steve Smith says he is a 90% body catcher. Might be something but he also only had 1 drop last year, 0 the year before, and 7 total throughout college.This is who I think can be the WR1 everyone wants, and fairly soon.

If there's better games I can watch on Thomas, or something that helped you guys love him as a prospect, please show me so i can join in on it. I'm just not atm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/25/2024 at 8:25 PM, Defjamz26 said:

My main focus will be on the WRs and DBs. That’s where I think we will be looking early. I’m also interested in the Edge class because that’s a sleeper need, and there are some guys who may show out. But i also have a specific list of players whose testing is super important to me:

-Keon Coleman: If he can run in the 4.4’s he’s got WR1 potential

-Kool Aid McKinstry: Long speed is his biggest concern

-Brock Bowers: How big is he really?

-Quinyon Mitchell: Want to see if his testing lives up to the hype

-Kitan Oladapo: He was my sleeper in the Senior Bowl thread and Lance has him as his 4th ranked safety. He may be a surprise Day 2 pick.

-Ricky Pearsall: If he runs fast he’s a legit WR1 guy because he already runs good routes

-Javon Baker: Same as above.

-TJ Tampa: Built almost identical to JuJu Brent’s on paper and has a similar play style, but will he test like him?

- Xavier Worthy: What will he weigh at?

- Brian Thomas Jr.: Can he blow the combine up?

Time for a little update on these guys that I pointed out before the start:

Keon Coleman: His RAD was still high but his 40 time was disappointing. Although some have pointed out that his MPH during the gauntlet drill was as high as other guys that ran faster. Still im skeptical 

Kool-Aid McKinstry- Definitely a stick down guy. Measured in at 5’11 despite being listed at 6’1” by Bama. Also found a Jones fracture in his foot so he didn’t get to test.

Brock Bowers- Passed the measurement check. 6’3” and 242 lbs with 32 inch arms as well. The Kittle comparisons are valid

Quinyon Mitchell- Boy did he ever live up to the hype. 4.33 40 and a 38” vert. No one has had a better pre-draft process than him. 

Kitan Oladapo-Testing looked good, not great. But that’s fine. I think an 8.3 RAS is fine. He will be a SS/LB hybrid who sees a lot of work on 3rd down.

Ricky Pearsall- Some team is going to get a steal. I had no idea he was that level of athlete. 4.41 at 6’1” is a great time and he was top 5 in every other metric at the combine for WR. Sick 3 cone too

Javon Baker: Big disappointment for me. Was average at just about everything. 4.54 is just okay. I see why he falls to Day 3 on simulators

TJ Tampa: Didn’t test. Still dealing with a hamstring. Measurement check was passed though. Almost 6’1” with 32” arms at 189 lbs

Xavier Worthy: 165 was probably by design because he wanted the record, which he got. In the NFL he’ll play at 175.

Brian Thomas Jr.- Checked every single box. I don’t really care that he’s not 6’4” because no one ever is lol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rome-odunze-put-on-a-show-at-nfl-combine-then-did-something-rarely-ever-seen-043036778.html

Great article on Rome Odunze, staying long after the combine, redoing a skills test over and over "just to get it right".  And answered The Question.  Why do the drills when all the other top players didn't do anything at all?

He may go before MHJR now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals took him at 4.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yoshinator said:

He may go before MHJR now. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cardinals took him at 4.

After his attitude at the combine, MHJ is WR3 for me, so I’d agree with that sentiment. I think Nabers is better and Odunze can do everything Marv can do and I think he’s more competitive.

• Like 3

Time for a little update on these guys that I pointed out before the start:

Keon Coleman: His RAD was still high but his 40 time was disappointing. Although some have pointed out that his MPH during the gauntlet drill was as high as other guys that ran faster. Still im skeptical 

Brian Thomas Jr.- Checked every single box. I don’t really care that he’s not 6’4” because no one ever is lol. 

Keon Coleman is a slower Pittman.  He had trouble separating in college.  It will look tragic in the pros 

I wouldn’t touch the kid 

Brian Thomas would seem to be the explosive guy that has a reasonable chance to be there at 15 if we keep the pick

I would take him over Bowers

• Like 1

After his attitude at the combine, MHJ is WR3 for me, so I’d agree with that sentiment. I think Nabers is better and Odunze can do everything Marv can do and I think he’s more competitive.

His personality is just like his father’s.  Quiet, reserved, shy, shunned media, how can you expect anything different.  That doesn’t take away from his draft status or how well he will perform.  He’s still the best receiver in the class regardless of his personality.  

• Like 1

Honestly, if I’m CB I’m weighing Quinyon, Arnold, Brian Thomas, Adonai, and maybe Worthy.  Two or three of those guys will be available and both positions make sense.  The other consideration is that if you pass on WRs, there’s so much depth that you can address it later.   I mean, I’m fine with going WR in the 1st and getting Melton in the 2nd, since I still think he’s very underrated…but, I don’t have a lot of CBs later on that I like.

2 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I noticed that Lance Zierlein (spelling?) rated Nabers higher than MHJR. They compared Nabers to Justin Jefferson.

I think it's going to be an interesting thing to watch:  how the teams rate Nabers vs Marvin 2.0.  They're gonna be asking the questions like --

• If Nabers is such a WR1, why did they primarily use him in the slot?  Did he get all of his production because he consistently worked against the opposition's third best DB?
  • Why did Marvin 2.0 eschew not only the combine workouts, but the interviews as well?  Is he going to opt out of everything?  Will we be able to get him to attend team meetings?

It's possible that, at the end of the day, Odunze winds up being chosen before either of them.  Not because he's a more polished prospect than them (he's not), but because he's coachable, moldable, and willing to work harder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I think it's going to be an interesting thing to watch:  how the teams rate Nabers vs Marvin 2.0.  They're gonna be asking the questions like --

• If Nabers is such a WR1, why did they primarily use him in the slot?  Did he get all of his production because he consistently worked against the opposition's third best DB?
  • Why did Marvin 2.0 eschew not only the combine workouts, but the interviews as well?  Is he going to opt out of everything?  Will we be able to get him to attend team meetings?

It's possible that, at the end of the day, Odunze winds up being chosen before either of them.  Not because he's a more polished prospect than them (he's not), but because he's coachable, moldable, and willing to work harder.

I like Odunze. I suggested the Vikings trading Justin Jefferson for some high drafts picks in an attempt to draft a QB and draft Odunze in the middle of the first round. But Odunze might now be selected earlier.

The Colts may come out of this draft with one of the top receivers, Bowers included. I think Bowers would make some fans here very happy, especially after the Dallas Clark comparison.

• Like 1

Ricky Pearsall might be what we want on Day 2 and focus on other positions of need on Day 1.  Day 2-3 got to like Malik Washington as a backup in the slot.  Both Flournoy and Means look like solid backups and was impressed by their combine performances. 

Marcellas Dial looks like a future nickel cornberback.  

Running backs give me either Indiana’s own Isaac Guerendo or Laube.  Both have great hands for returning kicks.

Offensively got to like JPJ.  Kiran Amegadjie and Mason McCormick like to see how they test.  

Free Agency hopefully we can address our FS.  Are some decent linebackers do like but too many players not enough draft capital. 

39 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Ricky Pearsall might be what we want on Day 2 and focus on other positions of need on Day 1.  Day 2-3 got to like Malik Washington as a backup in the slot.  Both Flournoy and Means look like solid backups and was impressed by their combine performances. 

Definitely an option

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

I like Odunze. I suggested the Vikings trading Justin Jefferson for some high drafts picks in an attempt to draft a QB and draft Odunze in the middle of the first round. But Odunze might now be selected earlier.

The Colts may come out of this draft with one of the top receivers, Bowers included. I think Bowers would make some fans here very happy, especially after the Dallas Clark comparison.

All 3 WR and TE Bowers should be going within top 10 or 12, unless they ruin their stock (MHJ is doing his best there). That was the case before and after the Combine, Colts - without moving up - will have to be very lucky to be having any of them still in Green Room. Even with 4 QBs, 2 edge rushers, 1 TE, 2 OTs, 2 CBs at the top of the draft, 3 WRs should be taken as it has become such a premium position after QB.

None of the Edge Rushers are sure to be great, apart from 2 OTs there are questions on other top OL even though they are graded as round 1 and some of them are slated to be RT or moved inside as OG. 

I see, at worst, 5 QBs, 2 OTs, 1 DT/DE, 2 CBs may be taken before the top 4 WRs - TEs are taken.

Colts may be lucky to get one of them, but a lot other teams will have to go for other positions and there should be an unprecedented 5 QB run at the top of the draft.

Anyway, these 3 WRs and top TE have more talent to not be a bust than many other first round graded prospects, and they have better floor than many of the top QBs in the draft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Honestly, if I’m CB I’m weighing Quinyon, Arnold, Brian Thomas, Adonai, and maybe Worthy.  Two or three of those guys will be available and both positions make sense.  The other consideration is that if you pass on WRs, there’s so much depth that you can address it later.   I mean, I’m fine with going WR in the 1st and getting Melton in the 2nd, since I still think he’s very underrated…but, I don’t have a lot of CBs later on that I like.

I just don’t think a rookie CB is high on the list talent or not. 

We’re already young and it was a problem last season. They need to keep taking their lumps and we need to add a solid veteran or maybe two. Adding more youth solves nothing. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

You could make a case based on tape, testing, and character that he’s WR1. DJ has him as his number 3 overall player, but said he’s his favorite player in the draft. 

Nabers and MHJ didn’t participate, I presume 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Justin Jefferson was used in the slot by Burrow and the LSU Tigers a lot. Thats also why Jefferson slid to back of Round 1 a bit.

If Malik Nabers slides to No.15 like Malik Hooker did when we last had No.15 in 2017, I’d gladly take him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

We’re already young and it was a problem last season. They need to keep taking their lumps and we need to add a solid veteran or maybe two. Adding more youth solves nothing. 

The reason their youth was blamed was because they're not great CBs, they need to refine and maybe get there one day.

But, if you can draft a great CB, being young isn't a problem and that's an advantage if he plays as advertised.

And if you're going to bring in veterans, it will take away the snaps and development of young CB room, so how does it solve anything on long term? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

The reason their youth was blamed was because they're not great CBs, they need to refine and maybe get there one day.

But, if you can draft a great CB, being young isn't a problem and that's an advantage if he plays as advertised.

And if you're going to bring in veterans, it will take away the snaps and development of young CB room, so how does it solve anything on long term? 

Yeah, guys like McDuffie and Sauce Gardner and Devon Witherspoon are recent proof that a first round CB ROI can be good.

But the way they were used was in heavy man coverage most of the time. Take the “most of the time” and replace with half the time in Bradley’s system, there in lies the dilemma.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Colts met with Odunze, so they are being listed as a team to watch to possibly trade up for him.  Just rumors obviously, but they did meet with him. Just due diligence I'm sure.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, guys like McDuffie and Sauce Gardner and Devon Witherspoon are recent proof that a first round CB ROI can be good.

Christian Gonzalez was defensive rookie of the month or so before he got injured. There shouldn't be any hesitation to draft an elite CB when you see one, and this draft might have a couple of them. 

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think it’s wishful thinking a CB would just come in a ball out and even if we did draft a guy he’d also take snaps from the other young CBs. Either way someone loses snaps. At least with a vet you can reasonably expect a certain floor and bring along the young guys slowly. 

And, no matter the needs on defense the priority still is to evaluate AR and the best way to do that is to eliminate weak spots on the offense. 

I’m not disputing there are some great CB talents in the draft and one of the them probably could make us a better team. It’s just a matter of priorities I think playmaker on offense is higher ok the list. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

agreed.  If it isn’t Arnold I’m not sure about drafting a CB.  Quinyon has checked all the boxes also but idk, he played at Toledo.  That’s just me though, for all I know he could’ve did his thing anywhere.  

but definitely agree on getting a vet CB.  I’m down with getting Arnold because he seems like a can’t miss.  Anyone else and I’m eh on them.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think it’s wishful thinking a CB would just come in a ball out and even if we did draft a guy he’d also take snaps from the other young CBs. Either way someone loses snaps. At least with a vet you can reasonably expect a certain floor and bring along the young guys slowly. 

And, no matter the needs on defense the priority still is to evaluate AR and the best way to do that is to eliminate weak spots on the offense. 

I’m not disputing there are some great CB talents in the draft and one of the them probably could make us a better team. It’s just a matter of priorities I think playmaker on offense is higher ok the list. 

Yeah, but knowing Ballard, he's going to stay true to the board, more than be willing to just fill up great talent around AR. That surely is the goal, but Ballard would let the board fall, then he may move back eyeing more talents, and in the end that may or may not work out.

But, when you draft at top 15, it's important to jump on the blue chip player with high floor, high ceiling guy available - offense or defense. As you go further down in the draft, such guys won't be available. And, this draft has lot of receiving talent available to give AR more options but very few Defensive guys that can be termed as elite. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Yeah, but knowing Ballard, he's going to stay true to the board, more than be willing to just fill up great talent around AR. That surely is the goal, but Ballard would let the board fall, then he may move back eyeing more talents, and in the end that may or may not work out.

But, when you draft at top 15, it's important to jump on the blue chip player with high floor, high ceiling guy available - offense or defense. As you go further down in the draft, such guys won't be available. And, this draft has lot of receiving talent available to give AR more options but very few Defensive guys that can be termed as elite. 

You definitely can’t overdraft to fill a need, but trading back is a possibility especially considering Ballard’s draft history. 

Look, I’m not saying we’re DEFINITELY not taking a CB at 15, but I think at least the top 4 WRs (maybe 5 depending on how high they have Adonai Mitchell) AND Bowers have to be off the board before he considers it. And even then I think guys like Byron Murphy and Jer’Zhan Newton would be considered as well. 

Ballard himself said in an interview he had a position in mind for the first pick - I think that’s WR. I do recognize the draft would still have to play out favorably, because you can’t reach. 

• Like 1

I think in the first round you draft outside of need when there’s someone there you have very high on your board that is as close to a certified can’t miss and there’s depth at the position of need.  

A perfect two first picks for me would be getting Arnold and then getting a high talent receiver in the second or trading back into the first.  There’s enough depth at wide receiver to still get someone.  Maybe not a BTJ but someone good enough to possibly turn into a WR1

• Like 2

I’ve been very impressed with a great amount of prospects in this draft. My top 5 prospects that I would want in the first round. 

1. Quinyon Mitchell, CB

2. Brock Bowers, TE

3. Brian Thomas JR, WR

4. Nate Wiggins, CB

5. Laiatu Latu, DE

I think at least two out of these five will be available when we pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

I was where you are, but I see great value in assembling a premium secondary.  The N FL is all about great passing games, and our division has two great QBs.  I think Quinyon and Arnold are going to be great ones…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

All 3 WR and TE Bowers should be going within top 10 or 12, unless they ruin their stock (MHJ is doing his best there). That was the case before and after the Combine, Colts - without moving up - will have to be very lucky to be having any of them still in Green Room. Even with 4 QBs, 2 edge rushers, 1 TE, 2 OTs, 2 CBs at the top of the draft, 3 WRs should be taken as it has become such a premium position after QB.

None of the Edge Rushers are sure to be great, apart from 2 OTs there are questions on other top OL even though they are graded as round 1 and some of them are slated to be RT or moved inside as OG. 

I see, at worst, 5 QBs, 2 OTs, 1 DT/DE, 2 CBs may be taken before the top 4 WRs - TEs are taken.

Colts may be lucky to get one of them, but a lot other teams will have to go for other positions and there should be an unprecedented 5 QB run at the top of the draft.

Anyway, these 3 WRs and top TE have more talent to not be a bust than many other first round graded prospects, and they have better floor than many of the top QBs in the draft. 

Did you watch the Combine? I think I was more impressed with the defensive linemen and defensive backs. Many of the players that I wanted to see did not participate (QBs Daniels, Maye and Williams, WR Nabers, MHJr). Two defensive guys that have been mocked to the Vikes impressed me -- the CB from Toledo (Mitchell, I think) and Verse, the Edge from Florida St.

Did any of the QBs impress you? Someone we know on DN commented that Rattler and Penix appeared to have NFL arms. McCarthy seemed to impress many GMs/coaches.

1 hour ago, smittywerb said:

I think in the first round you draft outside of need when there’s someone there you have very high on your board that is as close to a certified can’t miss and there’s depth at the position of need.  

A perfect two first picks for me would be getting Arnold and then getting a high talent receiver in the second or trading back into the first.  There’s enough depth at wide receiver to still get someone.  Maybe not a BTJ but someone good enough to possibly turn into a WR1

Arnold looks Superb! 

I believe there are about 10 spots behind us that we could get a very high quality prospect. Ballard trade back DNA. 

• Like 1