Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL Combine 2024

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Looks like Richardson teammate and WR from FL posted almost a 10 RAS. I don’t know where he is expected to be drafted but that could be a interesting selection.

What's his name?

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Arnold looks Superb! 

I believe there are about 10 spots behind us that we could get a very high quality prospect. Ballard trade back DNA. 

Yes he does.  He looked very fluid.  And also saw when the colts asked him a question regarding a coverage he answered it flawlessly.  I’ve let it be known many times on this board that I think WR is the biggest need.  But I’d put that to the side if Arnold or Bowers is there.

i like Quinyon also, but I can’t go against a SEC cornerback who played against VERY good comp and played well.  Arnold has been tested.

man, if we could trade back, get a second or third, and STILL draft Arnold, I think Ballard could do some serious damage with that.  

• Like 1

I know no one watches the OL stuff but I’m really intrigued by Mason McCormick. He’s a guard from South Dakota State who was at the Shrine Bowl. Played really well there.

Only thing is he weighed in at 309, so maybe he’s more of a center than a guard but if he can play both, that would be great. 3-time team captain too. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NFLfan said:

Almost a 10 RAS? It did not realize that.

downs was a 9, but their numbers aren’t far too far apart. Downs actually has a faster burst and 10 yard split. I just meant as a player. Pearsall is going to be a slot, and they seem to be very similar. 

not to say it wouldn’t be alright to have him on the roster, but not as our main receiver pick. I think we are looking at the other more explosive players. That’s pearsall’s big knock, is not as explosive as others. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I know no one watches the OL stuff but I’m really intrigued by Mason McCormick. He’s a guard from South Dakota State who was at the Shrine Bowl. Played really well there.

Only thing is he weighed in at 309, so maybe he’s more of a center than a guard but if he can play both, that would be great. 3-time team captain too. 

seems like an early day 3 three Ballard type. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

What I thought was interesting today is they showed Ballard sitting in a chair on the field watching the OL going through their drills up close.  He likes to do it for linemen.  He loves the trenches.

Yeah one of the reporters talked to him and said he told them he like to get a feel for the players size and movement ability up close. Shows his dedication.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

seems like an early day 3 three Ballard type. 

Yup. I’m thinking Freeland was his day 3 traits based backup/swing tackle last year, and a guy like McCormick could be the same but on the interior this year. Probably gives you center and guard versatility.

It also fits Ballard’s new strategy of drafting and also gives you a high floor. While he always values RAS, it seems last year he started taking guys who were athletic but raw on Day 3 as opposed to day 2. Freeland, adetomiwa adebawore, and Darius Rush were all taken on Day 3. That’s were I think Mason should go. Early-mid 4th round.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yup. I’m thinking Freeland was his day 3 traits based backup/swing tackle last year, and a guy like McCormick could be the same but on the interior this year. Probably gives you center and guard versatility.

It also fits Ballard’s new strategy of drafting and also gives you a high floor. While he always values RAS, it seems last year he started taking guys who were athletic but raw on Day 3 as opposed to day 2. Freeland, adetomiwa adebawore, and Darius Rush were all taken on Day 3. That’s were I think Mason should go. Early-mid 4th round.

I don’t know if Ballard has a “new” draft strategy or not.  I’ve seen no stories, just your comment here.   

I think every draft is unique and Ballard makes his adjustment accordingly.   In 2017,  Ballard’s first draft, he was done drafting early in the 5th round.  I think his last pick was Anthony Walker.   In 18, CB made two picks in rounds 5, 6, and 7.   In 19, CB made three straight picks late in the 6th round,  lots of trading down.    

I’ve been predicting CB will do a lot of trading down to collect more picks, just as he did last year.   But that was before I found out it’s being called a 4 round draft, roughly 150 players.   Does that change CB’s approach?  I’d assume so, I just don’t know how.   Can Ballard find nuggets well past the point most teams believe the worthy players are gone?   Maybe.   

As of this point,  early March,  I have less confidence in what the Colts might do than ever.   Maybe we’ll know more before the draft,  but it sure feels like we’re all throwing darts in the dark.   We’re all guessing more than ever.  About 7 weeks to go….  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

As of this point,  early March,  I have less confidence in what the Colts might do than ever.   Maybe we’ll know more before the draft,  but it sure feels like we’re all throwing darts in the dark.   We’re all guessing more than ever.  About 7 weeks to go….

we’ll definitely know more before the draft. 

there will be some reports of extra meetings with prospects. We’ll obviously have signed several players (our own and other free agents) which will clear some questions up for what the needs look like and what that might do to the strategy. But you are right, we are throwing darts… and that’s ironic considering that’s what Ballard says the draft largely is anyways. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

and a guy like McCormick could be the same but on the interior this year. Probably gives you center and guard versatility.

I think that should be viewed as a need, whether free agency or the draft. Ballard likes versatility, and for good reason. Especially on the o and d-lines. Having a few guys, at the least, that can move around if needed, is necessary, imo. 

I think we need to start grooming our next center. That means drafting someone to sit behind Kelly for a few years while they develop. Now would be a good time, it seems. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Did you watch the Combine? I think I was more impressed with the defensive linemen and defensive backs. Many of the players that I wanted to see did not participate (QBs Daniels, Maye and Williams, WR Nabers, MHJr). Two defensive guys that have been mocked to the Vikes impressed me -- the CB from Toledo (Mitchell, I think) and Verse, the Edge from Florida St.

Did any of the QBs impress you? Someone we know on DN commented that Rattler and Penix appeared to have NFL arms. McCarthy seemed to impress many GMs/coaches.

Did you watch the Combine? I think I was more impressed with the defensive linemen and defensive backs. Many of the players that I wanted to see did not participate (QBs Daniels, Maye and Williams, WR Nabers, MHJr). Two defensive guys that have been mocked to the Vikes impressed me -- the CB from Toledo (Mitchell, I think) and Verse, the Edge from Florida St.

Did any of the QBs impress you? Someone we know on DN commented that Rattler and Penix appeared to have NFL arms. McCarthy seemed to impress many GMs/coaches.

None of the QBs that participated Wowed me, I usually don't get impressed during the workouts except when the QB has a beautiful throwing motion and trajectory. CJ Stroud had me there at the Combine last year and that's the only occasion for me in many years, and none of the current draft class QBs got me such reaction. Have to watch the games to get the feel, I watched Daniels and shared my thoughts earlier with you. Need to watch all of the top guys, watching Combine QB drills was underwhelming. 

3 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

None of the QBs that participated Wowed me, I usually don't get impressed during the workouts except when the QB has a beautiful throwing motion and trajectory. CJ Stroud had me there at the Combine last year and that's the only occasion for me in many years, and none of the current draft class QBs got me such reaction. Have to watch the games to get the feel, I watched Daniels and shared my thoughts earlier with you. Need to watch all of the top guys, watching Combine QB drills was underwhelming. 

I felt the same way about the QBs. I was not impressed by any of them. Last year was different. I thought many of them looked good, even those who were drafted in later rounds. Unless one of the top 3 is available at 11, I hope we don't draft a QB.

4 hours ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I didn’t watch the QBs this year how did Penix look, from his play he seems to have a good throwing motion. 

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

I didn’t watch the QBs this year how did Penix look, from his play he seems to have a good throwing motion. 

Penix didn't make great throws but there was some consistency in him throwing into receivers' frame for them to catch though I was looking for any of the QBs to lead the receivers in the designed routes which didn't happen much in the entire drills. I liked what I saw from him though.

McCarthy had few great throws among all of them and then few into the sidelines on such routes. 

Joe Milton had some nice deep throws. For Others overall, receivers had to slow down and at times stop in the deep routes for the ball to arrive so that looked worrisome. 

Bo Nix had some nice throws, but he sprayed a lot too, sometimes too high and beyond the receivers in shorter, intermediate range. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

That’s a big discrepancy wow. We have enough big guys though. 6’1 is still good size. 

while he tested well, he isn’t as quick as downs is. That’s his knock, he doesn’t offer explosiveness like others do in this draft, and like I believe the colts will look for. I wouldn’t mind having him, by any means. But he and downs play very similar from what I’ve seen. His history with Richardson would be a possible advantage similar to luck and fleenor. But I think it’s a long shot we go this route. 

46 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

while he tested well, he isn’t as quick as downs is. That’s his knock, he doesn’t offer explosiveness like others do in this draft, and like I believe the colts will look for. I wouldn’t mind having him, by any means. But he and downs play very similar from what I’ve seen. His history with Richardson would be a possible advantage similar to luck and fleenor. But I think it’s a long shot we go this route. 

I feel we likely go with someone like Troy Franklin that can play outside and inside but has the explosiveness they covet. That is assuming they go WR at No.46 or with a trade back. Adonai Mitchell, Steve Smith's comments about him being a body catcher still resonates with me. Xavier Worthy, very much like a Zay Flowers type, but he can be pushed around with jams, but if used right, can be used outside and inside in space by a creative guy like Steichen. But his downs will be limited if they expect any size for run blocking. That is why I feel the Colts are more likely to go with a Franklin or Mitchell or even a Roman Wilson/Ladd McConkey type with some size without losing the explosive aspect.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Downs RAS

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Downs RAS

Like I said… he isn’t as quick as downs…

notice the 10 and 20 yard split of the 40. Downs has a faster burst. Notice the shuttle and 3 cone agility rating. They are very similar, but downs is going to be a more explosive receiver. 

and at the end of the day, they aren’t near as explosive as some of these other guys. I don’t see a need for Pearsall. I see a need for some of these other receivers that can replace Pierce on the field and be the explosive players we need. 

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

notice the 10 and 20 yard split of the 40. Downs has a faster burst. Notice the shuttle and 3 cone agility rating. They are very similar. 

No one is saying take the kid at 15. But could be nice familiarity for Richardson in the second or third if he is there and we go a different position at 15.

14 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

notice the 10 and 20 yard split of the 40. Downs has a faster burst. Notice the shuttle and 3 cone agility rating. They are very similar, but downs is going to be a more explosive receiver. 

and at the end of the day, they aren’t near as explosive as some of these other guys. I don’t see a need for Pearsall. I see a need for some of these other receivers that can replace Pierce on the field and be the explosive players we need. 

So what you're saying is

Y'all don't see at all a need for Pearsall, Thatsall. 

12 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

No one is saying take the kid at 15. But could be nice familiarity for Richardson in the second or third if he is there and we go a different position at 15.

He's not talking about 1st or 3rd round...

He says why bring in a guy like Downs, but less initial burst.. Pearsall doesn't add any explosiveness at all, Thatsall. 

4 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

So what you're saying is

He says why bring in a guy like Downs, but less initial burst.. Pearsall doesn't add any explosiveness at all, Thatsall. 

This kid is like 3 inches taller than fiend and 20 pounds heavier. They are not the same. His Ras says otherwise.

1 minute ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

So what you're saying is

that’s essentially what I’m saying. If he’s going in the 2nd round, then it means he is mostly likely our main taken receiver, and I’m not fond on that idea… 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This kid is like 3 inches taller than fiend and 2” pounds heavier. They are not the same. His Ras says otherwise.

what does height have to do with how they play? He is most likely a slot receiver… Evaluations have stated he lacks the explosiveness to make big plays, plays to his strength of savvy route running, etc. Who does that remind you of? He gets best separation at the slot. 

I’m not interested in another Downs. One is enough, in my opinion. We need someone to take Pierce’s spot on the field and with the upside of being a number 1 receiver… regardless of if Pittman is retained long term or not. This guy ain’t it.

42 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

what does height have to do with how they play? He is most likely a slot receiver… Evaluations have stated he lacks the explosiveness to make big plays, plays to his strength of savvy route running, etc. Who does that remind you of? He gets best separation at the slot. 

I’m not interested in another Downs. One is enough, in my opinion. We need someone to take Pierce’s spot on the field and with the upside of being a number 1 receiver… regardless of if Pittman is retained long term or not. This guy ain’t it.

Can we stop trying to say guys will fail or succeed before they even play a game. This is why I hate this time of season. People get way too fixated on a guy and whether he will be successful before they even play. I don’t even follow college that much and I really don’t care who we take now we have a QB. It was just something I noted since Anthony had familiarity with him.  

• Thanks 1