Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard isn't drafting for Bradley

twfish

So I was messing around on PFF and looked back at our draft grade and was reading our player write up and something stuck out to me. Ballard drafted guys that excel at pressman coverage. Jones was the only player that played more zone but Brents and Rush were much more man CB's. Why would you be drafting long term players to play for a DC that wont utilize their strengths? I know Ballard has said positive things about Bradley but there is no way he is super thrilled with him. He may give praise for the sacks, but as seeing we don't blitz, or scheme stunts or twist for our D-line then how much credit can Bradley really receive that much credit for it? Bradley's scheme really only works against inexperienced QB's, veteran QB's pick us a part. We dog on the personnel but Bradley is trying to force a square peg through a round hole here.

I didn't hate the decision to retain Bradley going into Steichen's first year so Shane could get his feet under him but moving forward I can see Shane being able to bring in who he wants. I think there is a massive probability that the team moves on this year and I feel Ballard has anticipated this move. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twfish said:

So I was messing around on PFF and looked back at our draft grade and was reading our player write up and something stuck out to me. Ballard drafted guys that excel at pressman coverage. Jones was the only player that played more zone but Brents and Rush were much more man CB's. Why would you be drafting long term players to play for a DC that wont utilize their strengths? I know Ballard has said positive things about Bradley but there is no way he is super thrilled with him. He may give praise for the sacks, but as seeing we don't blitz, or scheme stunts or twist for our D-line then how much credit can Bradley really receive that much credit for it? Bradley's scheme really only works against inexperienced QB's, veteran QB's pick us a part. We dog on the personnel but Bradley is trying to force a square peg through a round hole here.

I didn't hate the decision to retain Bradley going into Steichen's first year so Shane could get his feet under him but moving forward I can see Shane being able to bring in who he wants. I think there is a massive probability that the team moves on this year and I feel Ballard has anticipated this move. 

Actually to the contrary, If you watch much of Brent’s college tape he excels in zone. Kansas employed a 3-3-5 defense that had a lot of Zone Matching principles. Not entirely straight man coverage. I can’t speak too much on South Carolina.

Brent’s is actually good at all coverage types from what I’ve seen from him at college and now at the NFL level. 

Also a lot of the bigger corners are typically better at zone. Now Rock Ya-Sin was a guy who didn’t fit the scheme when drafted, even though that’s when Flus was DC. Every draft analyst that watched him said he’d be a great press man corner. Then we drafted him to play zone. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Brent’s is actually good at all coverage types from what I’ve seen from him at college and now at the NFL level. 

Also a lot of the bigger corners are typically better at zone. Now Rock Ya-Sin was a guy who didn’t fit the scheme when drafted, even though that’s when Flus was DC. Every draft analyst that watched him said he’d be a great press man corner. Then we drafted him to play zone. 

But he played zone pretty well in his three years with the Colts.  

His rookie season, he struggled in the first half of the season but was very good in the second half of the season.  

Rock’s second season wasn’t very good, I think he may have had some injuries.   

But his third year he was good again.   So he was able to okay zone effectively enough during his time with the Colts. 

I think the loss of Rogers and Flowers (possibly Rush not panning out) changed up a lot of Gus's thinking on D. Not that I'm a fan of it. I am a big fan of Brents though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, twfish said:

A few things to remember….

Ballard prefers his corners to be at least 6’0” with arms at least 32 inches long.   There are other requirements, but these are the base marks.   

So from the start, the number of corners the Colts will consider is smaller than most other teams.   

The Colts pride themselves in drafting athletic players and, if need be, teaching them techniques at the NFL level.   So if they think a guy who meets those requirements and is athletic enough, the Colts believe they can teach them zone skills and techniques. 

It’s a different approach, but the Colts believe in it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A few things to remember….

Ballard prefers his corners to be at least 6’0” with arms at least 32 inches long.   There are other requirements, but these are the base marks.   

So from the start, the number of corners the Colts will consider is smaller than most other teams.   

The Colts pride themselves in drafting athletic players and, if need be, teaching them techniques at the NFL level.   So if they think a guy who meets those requirements and is athletic enough, the Colts believe they can teach them zone skills and techniques. 

It’s a different approach, but the Colts believe in it.  

Yeah and I’ll say this, as bad as our rookie CBs have been, they’re not completely terrible either. Plus Kenny Moore was out and that area of the field is where the Raiders really killed us more so than the outside. I think Kenny is in there, we might be talking a different way. I’m hoping he’s back for the Texans. 

• Like 1

Flowers (prior to injury), Brents and Jones have all shown good, bad and indifferent skills - mostly good They have grown their IQ this year so far and have all shown a willingness to tackle.

Moore, if re-signed would give us 4 quality corners to run out there. 

As far as scheme and bringing in a new D-coordinator, who knows at this point, but they all have shown the ability to play zone and man so either way I think we are solid in that department moving into next year!

For the OP @twfish who do you suggest they bring in that plays more man, or blitzes more? It has to be a 4-3 defensive scheme as Ballard would never switch to a 3-4 (plus it would take a couple years to revamp the front 7 personnel).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But he played zone pretty well in his three years with the Colts.  

His rookie season, he struggled in the first half of the season but was very good in the second half of the season.  

Rock’s second season wasn’t very good, I think he may have had some injuries.   

But his third year he was good again.   So he was able to okay zone effectively enough during his time with the Colts. 

I agree with you. Rock was capable of playing both zone and man. I think his biggest issue was locating and making a play on the ball.  Not sure that is why they shipped him out or more he was the player needed to trade for Yannick. Rock is a backup for Baltimore after Vegas let him walk too. Leads me to believe we had seen enough and he wasn’t developing like Colts thought he would. CB has been a revolving door kind of like DE. Hopefully Jones, Brents or Flowers sticks. 

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Flowers (prior to injury), Brents and Jones have all shown good, bad and indifferent skills - mostly good They have grown their IQ this year so far and have all shown a willingness to tackle.

Moore, if re-signed would give us 4 quality corners to run out there. 

As far as scheme and bringing in a new D-coordinator, who knows at this point, but they all have shown the ability to play zone and man so either way I think we are solid in that department moving into next year!

For the OP @twfish who do you suggest they bring in that plays more man, or blitzes more? It has to be a 4-3 defensive scheme as Ballard would never switch to a 3-4 (plus it would take a couple years to revamp the front 7 personnel).

Dave Borgonzi was our linebacker coach 2018-2021. Currently Eberflus' linebacker coach, interview for the Cardinals coordinator position last year. Kris Richard is another name that has been linked to us in past, but has had a rough few years it seems. I haven't looked into current head coaches that may be fired. Those are sometimes the better options. I don't know that I see Steichen wanting to go that route over someone younger that has never been a coordinator, as he may just wish to continue with Gus if that was the case. 

The more I think about it I don’t think Gus has done a terrible job given the young talent he has had to work with in the secondary.  The team had unexpected success this year and the defense contributed to that.  He lost a playmaker this year in Gilmore and the unexpected performance by Leonard didn’t help.  Gus is a proven successful coach.  I don’t think his firing is warranted at this time.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The more I think about it I don’t think Gus has done a terrible job given the young talent he has had to work with in the secondary.  The team had unexpected success this year and the defense contributed to that.  He lost a playmaker this year in Gilmore and the unexpected performance by Leonard didn’t help.  Gus is a proven successful coach.  I don’t think his firing is warranted at this time.  

I’ve said from day one, I doubt very seriously Ballard and Steichen will want to change there if Gus is happy here. I think he’s a professional with HC experience, and probably very good to work with, especially as a new head coach- Steichen no doubt utilizes him for input on things. 

I would be very interested to see what an offseason to build on this defense (top 10 pass rush- franchise setting sack record) and a very young secondary, can do next season under the same leadership. Especially if an AR offense can move the sticks and put points up consistently and put pressure on opposing offenses. Secondary is only going to get better, whether through gaining experience or adding to the roster in FA/draft. They already have imo, even with injuries decimating the locker room. 

• Like 2

No mention of the bad lb play, and the colts only play with 2! How do you expect to stop the run when they don’t fill the gaps or tackle well and they aren’t even good pass defenders. Upgrading the lb position would be the biggest difference to the defense!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Dave Borgonzi was our linebacker coach 2018-2021. Currently Eberflus' linebacker coach, interview for the Cardinals coordinator position last year. Kris Richard is another name that has been linked to us in past, but has had a rough few years it seems. I haven't looked into current head coaches that may be fired. Those are sometimes the better options. I don't know that I see Steichen wanting to go that route over someone younger that has never been a coordinator, as he may just wish to continue with Gus if that was the case. 

Staley, but he runs more of a 3-4 front. He comes from the Vic Fangio tree, which Gus has recently implemented some of those philosophies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/gus-bradley-coverage-scheme-indianapolis-colts&ved=2ahUKEwi6vfKunsWDAxVjjokEHet7DCcQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0F-YX4lsLiu5l8R3RZV3wI

"The Colts' defense has essentially lived in quarters the past two weeks. I went back and charted every defensive snap over that span and have the team playing quarters on nearly 65% of their defensive snaps. I only charted a 25% usage of Bradley's pride and joy Cover-3 over that same span (the other 10% was blitzes or hail mary defense)."

Rumors of maybe Giants moving on from Wink Martindale, we interviewed him for HC spot last year

Could be another option.

Ejiro Evero is another Fangio deciple in which we interviewed for HC spot. Not sure of his contract/job status with Carolina once season ends as Reich was fired.

Here is a link for some other potential options as well.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/12/21/24010753/2024-nfl-defensive-coordinator-candidates-jim-leonhard-jesse-minter-glenn-schumann

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, w87r said:

Staley, but he runs more of a 3-4 front. He comes from the Vic Fangio tree, which Gus has recently implemented some of those philosophies.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.si.com/nfl/colts/news/gus-bradley-coverage-scheme-indianapolis-colts&ved=2ahUKEwi6vfKunsWDAxVjjokEHet7DCcQFnoECBoQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0F-YX4lsLiu5l8R3RZV3wI

"The Colts' defense has essentially lived in quarters the past two weeks. I went back and charted every defensive snap over that span and have the team playing quarters on nearly 65% of their defensive snaps. I only charted a 25% usage of Bradley's pride and joy Cover-3 over that same span (the other 10% was blitzes or hail mary defense)."

Rumors of maybe Giants moving on from Wink Martindale, we interviewed him for HC spot last year

Could be another option.

Ejiro Evero is another Fangio deciple in which we interviewed for HC spot. Not sure of his contract/job status with Carolina once season ends as Reich was fired.

Here is a link for some other potential options as well.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2023/12/21/24010753/2024-nfl-defensive-coordinator-candidates-jim-leonhard-jesse-minter-glenn-schumann

The giants have played great d this year.   I wonder why they would let Wink go?

32 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The giants have played great d this year.   I wonder why they would let Wink go?

Might not, just saw him answering questions about potentially not being back.

• Like 1

Even tho darius rush is a good player I always wondered why they drafted him because he really didn't fit the defensive scheme he has the size but he just didn't fit with the defense....that's why he got cut

On 1/4/2024 at 10:35 AM, richard pallo said:

Nice post.

We have a great many commenters on this board who seem to be unable or unwilling to apply the situation or circumstances to their judgements.

It's as if the quality of an individual only exists based on the outcome. Nothing else is to be considered.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BCMak24 said:

Even tho darius rush is a good player I always wondered why they drafted him because he really didn't fit the defensive scheme he has the size but he just didn't fit with the defense....that's why he got cut

He didn’t really get cut as much as he got waived.  We wanted to put him on the practice squad but he was picked up on waivers.  It’s the risk you take.  There was another player whose name escaped me that we lost in the same way and I remember Ballard being very unhappy about it.  There’s only so many active roster spots. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

He didn’t really get cut as much as he got waived.  We wanted to put him on the practice squad but he was picked up on waivers.  It’s the risk you take.  There was another player whose name escaped me that we lost in the same way and I remember Ballard being very unhappy about it.  There’s only so many active roster spots. 

Special teams guy from Indiana, Sterling Weatherford.

Here's article that talks about it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://horseshoeheroes.com/posts/colts-chance-re-sign-sterling-weatherford-bears-young-player-got-away-01h69attpzs3&ved=2ahUKEwjs5OiX9MiDAxWVJ0QIHZ3HBc8QFnoECB0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw0ytKjkZgOc2AOeZBhQI3TZ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you think about it, this defense needs pressure from the front 4 to be successful.

We have improved our overall sacks, but when the game is on the line, we have been chewed up by pin point passers.

I hate seeing our DEs getting handled one on one.

I hope that they resign almost all of our FAs and add 

A top DE in FA

CB in draft

FS in draft

SSLB in draft

I may be in a minority here, but THIS defense CAN work, with the right players

I found it off that the Colts allowed Shane Steichen to hand-pick his own coaching staff with the exception of Gus Bradley and the defensive coaches. I always thought this would be Gus Bradley's final year in Indianapolis no matter what. Let Steichen hand-pick his guy in 2024 since he's proved he's more than capable of bringing in the right guys for the job.

5 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If you think about it, this defense needs pressure from the front 4 to be successful.

We have improved our overall sacks, but when the game is on the line, we have been chewed up by pin point passers.

A top DE in FA

CB in draft

FS in draft

SSLB in draft

I get what you are saying. I agree this defense can work but with Gus but I could see Shane wanting his own guy. Like you said, we need another playmaker at every level of the defense. I can’t say what will happen but I do know there will be some much needed roster additions either way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ArmchairQB said:

What led to him not making the cut was him getting out played by jaylon jones....of course they wanted to keep him on the practice squad but he slipped away

15 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

A top DE in FA

CB in draft

FS in draft

SSLB in draft

It can work as long as someone from the front 4 can get into the backfield consistently. 

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 2:41 PM, jvan1973 said:

He would be a great hire.   He may get some HC looks

The league is going away from veteran DCs for HC jobs. Case in point would be recent interviews for Wink and Lou Anurumo not resulting in HC jobs, IMO.

I’m all for getting fresh ideas, even if it’s from college. Wink’s D with the Ravens got shredded by Burrow 2 years in a row and John Harbaugh got Mike Martin that his brother at Michigan highly recommended and Burrow hasn’t been able to score more than 27 against them in the past year and a half.

Thats why I’m not worried if they take a few risks as long as they are well thought through 

My theory is that 

1. Ballard has wanted us to mix in some more press-man for a while and he's tryign to give his coaches players they can do it with. He even mentioned it in some interviews a while ago. 

2. They believe in drafting a physical/athletic profile and teaching those players to play the way they want them to play. Now this one is more debatable - just how much you can improve severe areas of weakness of players...

...but yeah.... that's my take at least... :dunno: