Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichen Thoughts at the Bye Week….

NewColtsFan

That's an interesting conjecture. You might be right, but I kind of feel like the more likely scenario is - this is just what Steichen is like and he probably won't change much in his relationship with the media. He will probably continue doing the bare minimum in a "I'm here so I don't get fined" manner, but honestly... I don't care much. Would it be good to get some insight on his thoughts about the offense? Sure... but if the offense is working, this IMO is the most important thing. There are plenty of analysts who understand the game well enough to explain stuff to us if there is hunger to delve into Colts offense minutiae... at least I hope so... 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's an interesting conjecture. You might be right, but I kind of feel like the more likely scenario is - this is just what Steichen is like and he probably won't change much in his relationship with the media. He will probably continue doing the bare minimum in a "I'm here so I don't get fined" manner, but honestly... I don't care much. Would it be good to get some insight on his thoughts about the offense? Sure... but if the offense is working, this IMO is the most important thing. There are plenty of analysts who understand the game well enough to explain stuff to us if there is hunger to delve into Colts offense minutiae... at least I hope so... 

I think this is exactly right.

He's really intense, has stuff on his mind and better things to do.

• Like 2

I think Shane will get more comfortable as time goes on, and if we continue to win games and seasons. 

I don't mind him being a bit guarded from a competitive standpoint. Don't give the opponent any information, regardless of how small. Those small things can eventually become tips for the other team to exploit. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I think Shane will get more comfortable as time goes on, and if we continue to win games and seasons. 

I don't mind him being a bit guarded from a competitive standpoint. Don't give the opponent any information, regardless of how small. Those small things can eventually become tips for the other team to exploit. 

I think you’re right. Time will relax his presentations as he gets more comfortable with the job. NCF probably has a point about his experience with the Philly media, but he knows by now that the Indy media is much friendlier.  He’s a new HC learning as he goes. Learning to deal with the media is part of the experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m really liking Shane so far. I think the players like playing for him and he’s shown his creativity and offensive mind in many of our games. It’s no surprise he’s had success at many different organizations. 

I think he will mature into a really solid long term head coach for us. 

Don’t forget, this team has only been limited under 20 points in a single game this season. With rotating QBs that in itself is impressive. 

I think our coaching staff in general has a pretty bright future. Hope things keep trending in the right direction. 

• Like 5

I think he’s been a really good rookie coach.  He does make rookie mistakes that need to improve and the team does have issues with thing that normally fall on the head coach, penalties, turnovers, and tackling.  However, there is no denying the difference he’s made to the offense and having his team at 5-5 while playing with a back up QB the vast majority of the season is impressive.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

Plus the philly reporters and market in general is vastly different than those in hoosier land.  

41 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I think you’re right. Time will relax his presentations as he gets more comfortable with the job. NCF probably has a point about his experience with the Philly media, but he knows by now that the Indy media is much friendlier.  He’s a new HC learning as he goes. Learning to deal with the media is part of the experience. 

wrote something similar about the media before seeing this.

3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Plus the philly reporters and market in general is vastly different than those in hoosier land.  

Philly fans are nuts... 

I've said it many times before but... Who the heck pelts Santa Claus with snowballs? Grown a-- adults laying into the big man. That place ain't brotherly or lovely. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Philly fans are nuts... 

I've said it many times before but... Who the heck pelts Santa Claus with snowballs? Grown a-- adults laying into the big man. That place ain't brotherly or lovely. 

They are proud of it and revel in it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

They are proud of it and revel in it!

We sure are :). I may be a Colts fan but I live in South NJ and Philly sports are ELECTRIC. We are a passionate fan base across all sports and you gotta take the good with the bad. Every fan base has their bad eggs no doubt but Philly fans do own up to their reputation. Not always the best decision makers that’s for sure. 

I go to games all the time and I’ve learned over the years. I will say though, playoff anything here is incredible. 

I love my Colts but there is more energy in Philly’s MLS or Hockey stadium than there is at Lucas Oil.

I’m really hoping that changes with some of the younger guys on this team. I hear the stadium this year has been better. Was supposed to be out there for jags game but had 3 straight flight cancellations ended up ruining the trip. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

His pressers are almost pointless. Almost entirely coachspeak and platitudes. He's not rude or antagonistic, but I would describe his participation as "mandatory compliance," and nothing more. 

And I don't necessarily mind it. There have been a couple times where I thought he shut down a valid line of questioning, but for the most part, he just sticks to the script. There could be a strategic advantage to that; a few weeks ago he even said 'if I tell you, I tell them,' so he understands the value of not giving up the gameplan. I don't think Reich or Pagano appreciated that enough, they'd offer much more detail than I think they should have at times.

Also, NCF might be right, that he really learned the value of being careful with the media from how Sirianni was treated in Philly. But it's something any HC should prepare for, in any city.

• Like 2

Some interesting points on Kevin's Corner Podcast

...They feel, up to this point, Kwitty Paye's play is not warranting the Colts picking up his 5th year option.

...although NE ran it well against us (minus Grover Stewart), TB has the worse rushing offense in NFL.

...thoughts on 3rd round picks Bernhard Raimann, Nick Cross and Jelani Woods.

...Twitter questions on:

Gus Bradley's future under Steichen

Colts Tanking rest of year and Colts position in draft     

Minshew's struggles of late

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-436-chris-ballard-speaks-things-to-look-for/id1294483334?i=1000635447014

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

...They feel, up to this point, Kwitty Paye's play is not warranting the Colts picking up his 5th year option.

...although NE ran it well against us (minus Grover Stewart), TB has the worse rushing offense in NFL.

...Twitter questions on:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-436-chris-ballard-speaks-things-to-look-for/id1294483334?i=1000635447014

Hopefully Gus's future under Steichen is not existent and we get a new DC lol

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

...Twitter questions on:

Paye isn’t going anywhere. They’ll pick it up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1959Colts said:

Although I don't think Paye has performed up to his 1st round billing,..

I guess I would agree with you here. It looks like he is due about 7.25 million.

https://overthecap.com/fifth-year-option-projections

Depends. Outside of the health issues, we are clearly better on D when he’s in vs when he’s not.

the thing is, people think his role is to be like Miles Garrett, but he’s more of an edge setter that can get to the QB more often than most edge setters. 

he needs to improve his game but he has a good pressure rate, just half a step away from QB sacks. I’d like to see him get off the ball faster cause I think he can and I think that would help his sack rate. Either way, I think he stays a colt for a long while. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 11:41 PM, NewColtsFan said:

About 6-7 weeks ago I made a post about how guarded Steichen is in interviews.   How it seems he measures every word worried that it could be turned into something negative. 

I’ve given that post some thought if late and realize I overlooked an important aspect of Steichen’s background.  

In 2021, Steichen’s first year in Philly, he had to watch as the notoriously brutal Philadelphia media ripped Sirianni almost from Day One.  

Sirianni was judged to be a terrible interview at his introductory press conference.  Overwhelmed by the big moment.   Then, things got much worse.  The Eagles started 1-3 and 2-5 and Philly media were openly wondering if Sirianni would survive past his first year?   A possible one and done.    Of course Philly turned things around and finished 9-8 then went to the Super Bowl in 22, after that the Colts hired Steichen.  

My point is that I can now see and understand Steichen being a little gun shy and overly cautious with the media after seeing what his friend and boss went through.   So I now see him in a more understandable and forgiving light.   His lack of media presence makes more sense to me. 

Of course this is all speculation by me.   A total hunch on my part.  This might be the real Steichen even if things were smooth and easy in Philly.   But this seems reasonable to me.  

Full Disclosure:   Steichen was my first choice.   I liked his background and success both in San Diego and Philly.   I’ve been happy with his performance so far but believe he’ll be better in the years to come.  He’s never been a head coach at any level until now, so I’ve expected growing pains which we see from time to time.   I think his best days as HC are ahead for him.  

I just viewed him as being like Bellichick as far as being real tight lipped and control oriented.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Depends. Outside of the health issues, we are clearly better on D when he’s in vs when he’s not.

the thing is, people think his role is to be like Miles Garrett, but he’s more of an edge setter that can get to the QB more often than most edge setters. 

he needs to improve his game but he has a good pressure rate, just half a step away from QB sacks. I’d like to see him get off the ball faster cause I think he can and I think that would help his sack rate. Either way, I think he stays a colt for a long while. 

So far, although the defense usually does play better with him, than without, imo, as the 21st player chosen, Kwitty has shown only, slightly little more than being "just a guy" (I think this is what Kevin Bowen and Eddie Garrison were alluding to in the podcast)

If the Colts do exercise the 5th year option... and Paye is to stay for a long while, he would then need to step up his game, since 2024 becomes his contract year, where he would have to show he deserves being extended going forward. Over this stretch, I hope the Colts may draft (or acquire) some another DEs to provide deeper competition at the position than we currently have.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

So far, although the defense usually does play better with him, than without, imo, as the 21st player chosen, Kwitty has shown only, slightly little more than being "just a guy" (I think this is what Kevin Bowen and Eddie Garrison were alluding to in the podcast)

If the Colts do exercise the 5th year option... and Paye is to stay for a long while, he would then need to step up his game, since 2024 becomes his contract year, where he would have to show he deserves being extended going forward. Over this stretch, I hope the Colts may draft (or acquire) some another DEs to provide deeper competition at the position than we currently have.

That’s fair and I do agree. I guess it depends on what the colts see his role as too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, csmopar said:

Paye isn’t going anywhere. They’ll pick it up

I think he really has to up his game these last seven games.  He only has 4.5 sacks.  6 last year.  He needs to produce more.  He’s an ER.  So far nothing special.  No reason to pick it up based on his production so far.  

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think he really has to up his game these last seven games.  He only has 4.5 sacks.  6 last year.  He needs to produce more.  He’s an ER.  So far nothing special.  No reason to pick it up based on his production so far.  

Perhaps, but Ballard did say Kwitty was doing exactly what they’re asking him to do, so it sounds like they want him focusing on setting that edge, for whatever reason. Could be GM speak but ballard typically tells it how it is

On 11/20/2023 at 6:52 AM, stitches said:

Why there are several on here that can do that for us. One needs to look no further.

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not even that much. I forget the number but it’s not that much. Dayo I think is the better pass rusher. Picking up or extending him doesn’t mean he will get big pass rusher money. Dayo might end up costing more in the long run.

It’s around 6-7 million if I recall right. 

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s not even that much. I forget the number but it’s not that much. Dayo I think is the better pass rusher. Picking up or extending him doesn’t mean he will get big pass rusher money. Dayo might end up costing more in the long run.

Dayo is the better player.  Paye may be a little better against the run but Dayo is good against the run at DE, is a better pass rusher, and provide more positional flexibility.   Dayo has 9.5 sacks in his last 14 games. 

On 11/20/2023 at 12:41 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I’ve been happy with his performance so far but believe he’ll be better in the years to come.  He’s never been a head coach at any level until now, so I’ve expected growing pains which we see from time to time.   I think his best days as HC are ahead for him.  

as with many of the young players on the roster. Feels like a reset with an opportunity to be competitive during the growth of the coaching staff and some young key players. 

I haven’t been this hopeful looking forward since 2019 offseason before the wheels fell off with Andrew’s departure. 

• Like 1