Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Titans postgame thread

AwesomeAustin

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Gilmore may have wished he stayed here after the way the 49ers are demolishing Dallas lmao 

Maybe….    It’s always nice to see Dallas eat humble pie.     But playing in the NFC the Cowboys have a much better shot at reaching their conference championship game than the Colts have of reaching the AFC championship.   

Just saying. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Because he didn’t want to be part of a rebuild.  That wasn’t a situation like Taylor that could be fixed with a new contract.  Colts took the best offer they could get.  If Ballard had a better offer out there I am sure he would have taken it.  

Yeah…just wish we still had him. I would not be a fan of trading picks for another CB. Brent’s looks good and maybe we can sign someone in the off-season and/or hit on another draft pick. This team is about to get expensive so will be interesting how they navigate it. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe….    It’s always nice to see Dallas eat humble pie.     But playing in the NFC the Cowboys have a much better shot at reaching their conference championship game than the Colts have of reaching the AFC championship.   

Just saying. 

I agree with that but I still think it will be the 49ers vs Lions in the NFC Title Game. I think Philly will get upset, it is tough to make the SB 2 years in a row.

Just now, AwesomeAustin said:

Yeah…just wish we still had him. I would not be a fan of trading picks for another CB. Brent’s looks good and maybe we can sign someone in the off-season and/or hit on another draft pick. This team is about to get expensive so will be interesting how they navigate it. 

The Colts are about to get expensive?   Sorry, I don’t follow?   Can you elaborate?  

5 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I do too.

I don’t expect a trade.  Ballard said in the pre-season press conference how do young guys become vets?  They have to play.  I think they will take their lumps with secondary. One thing that would help them would be a better pass rush than we have seen in the past two weeks outside of about a quarter and half vs the Rams.

Also Flowers was playing really well until he got hurt.  If Brents develops they might not have to go get another starter.  They will have decision to make about Kenny Moore though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I do too.

I don’t expect a trade.  Ballard said in the pre-season press conference how do young guys become vets?  They have to play.  I think they will take their lumps with secondary. One thing that would help them would be a better pass rush than we have seen in the past two weeks outside of about a quarter and half vs the Rams.

Also Flowers was playing really well until he got hurt.  If Brents develops they might not have to go get another starter.  They will have decision to make about Kenny Moore though.

But it’s not like these guys are 2nd round picks(except Brent’s) who might improve. We need to invest money and draft scoured ingo this secondary. 

8 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pierce does not seem to be improving as a route runner. Don’t want to give up on him but colts might need to look in the draft for his replacement to go with Pittman and downs.

I want to say I am not hater of Pierce.  In fact I want him to do well because if he does well so will the Colts.

However, his supporters are running out of excuses.  The one was he’s open if you watch plays they just aren’t going down the field.  Well now the Colts are and what’s happened?  Pittman and Downs are still getting all the targets and catches down the field.  I was at the game up high and you could see Pittman and Downs beat their guys and get open.  Alec always had a guy within a yard or two of him.  

The two things I can give Alec is that’s he made a couple of big catches the past couple of weeks when he was targeted in crucial situations and he’s a heck of a blocker.

Unfortunately, those two skills will only take you so far in the NFL.  He has to up his production and that means doing a better job of getting open.  We know he has the speed so like you said it’s probably a route running issue.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

I want to say I am not hater of Pierce.  In fact I want him to do well because if he does well so will the Colts.

However, his supporters are running out of excuses.  The one was he’s open if you watch plays they just aren’t going down the field.  Well now the Colts are and what’s happened?  Pittman and Downs are still getting all the targets and catches down the field.  I was at the game up high and you could see Pittman and Downs beat their guys and get open.  Alec always had a guy within a yard or two of him.  

The two things I can give Alec is that’s he made a couple of big catches the past couple of weeks when he was targeted in crucial situations and he’s a heck of a blocker.

Unfortunately, those two skills will only take you so far in the NFL.  He has to up his production and that means doing a better job of getting open.  We know he has the speed so like you said it’s probably a route running issue.  

People think being fast creates separation It’s actually more route running. I might not mind if we traded him at the deadline for a CB. But then they would need a replacement for him.

27 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

But it’s not like these guys are 2nd round picks(except Brent’s) who might improve. We need to invest money and draft scoured ingo this secondary. 

If Brents develops, Flowers returns and plays well and they keep Kenny they have their starters locked down.  Look at Franklin, Speed, Grover, Fries, Cox, heck even Kenny Moore.  Not all your starters can be 1st or 2nd round draft picks.  You have to hit on some mid to late round guys.  Frankly where they were drafted doesn’t matter once they start playing.  Then it becomes about how they are playing.

Brents is a rookie who has shown flashes he needs to play to get experience and develop.

Flowers was playing well before his injury and if he comes back and plays like that next season who cares that he was undrafted?

Moore has reverted back to his pro-bowl form and has been the one bright spot nearly every week in the secondary.  If they keep him again who cares about the fact he was undrafted?

After that you are talking about depth guys and depth guys are almost always going to be mid to late round picks.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

People think being fast creates separation It’s actually more route running. I might not mind if we traded him at the deadline for a CB. But then they would need a replacement for him.

In order for someone to want him he has to produce.  I doubt he has much if any trade value right now.  Also, let’s remember the Colts have all of five WRs on the active roster.  One of which hasn’t taken a snap at WR with the Colts in a real game. McKenzie is no threat to any of the starting three.  They need Pierce for this year and frankly now is too soon to give up on him.  There is some truth to look at how long it took Reggie Wayne to figure it out.  Not all WRs come in and produce big time right away.  Sometimes it takes a little while.  If they were willing to give Paris as many chances as they gave him there is nothing wrong with giving Alec until next year at the very least.

• Like 5

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Colts might have a RT in Freeland when Smiths contract expires atWe 25. Freeland would need a new contract by then so I don’t know if they would resign smith or not.

I am sure that would be a nice option but with the way Smith is playing no need to rush him out the door.  However, the salary cap is a real thing and sometimes you have to make hard decisions because you can’t keep everyone.  However, that’s not a decision for tonight or even this season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s just hard to be excited with a win with how Richardson got injured. Just not a good start to his career. Watching him play has been so fun. Colts offense not so fun without him.

He seems to be glass

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Pierce does not seem to be improving as a route runner. Don’t want to give up on him but colts might need to look in the draft for his replacement to go with Pittman and downs.

It took Reggie three years to get that down, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Myles said:

He seems to be glass

I wouldn't go that far with it, his injuries are concerning but saying "glass" is a little early. There have been a number of rookie QB's in the history of this league that get banged up in their rookie year with injuries. Some even season enders, Joe Burrow to name one and look how he turned out. If a QB does tend to run more than the normal pocket passer that doesn't mean he will be more injury prone either. Aaron Rodgers almost a whole season because of a broken Collar Bone when he was in his prime, Tom Brady in 2008 missed a whole season after a leg injury in week 1, once again Joe Burrow in his rookie season out because of a leg injury and he has looked gimpy so far this year. All of those guys are mainly pocket passers and 3 of the best to do it. 

5 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Many many many media experts and forum experts have crow feathers sticking out of their mouths 

My prediction of 8-8-1 is looking better by the moment and I may have even underestimated this team. We could win 9 and the division if we beat the Jags next week. Health will play a huge part but even with AR getting banged up quite a bit, we have a backup that can pick up the slack for a few games here and there. I think Mustache could start for a few teams, he is a great backup without question. At least average to above average starter IMO. He reminds me of when we had Matt Hasselbeck, with Matt even though aging, we still had a chance to win when Luck was out. I have been really impressed with our D.Line so far and Franklin is playing out of his mind. Coaching wise, so far I give Shane a B, which is very solid. He has made a few bad calls but what coach doesn't. He has made more right decisions than wrong one's though. 

• Like 2

Good

MPJ and Downs:  They played well today and caught passes at all levels…short, medium, and deep.  Would’ve loved to see Downs get his first 100yd game but the W is enough.  

Play Design and Playcalls:  Shane has been making some fire plays!  Direct contrast from what we were dealing with in Reich.  Shane outcoached Vrabel.  Very good for a rookie HC

Offensive Line:  they bullied the titans defensive line.  Getting Kelly back was a huge boost!  And nice to fries out there eating too!  Smith had some mishaps but overall he played solid.  And Freeland played well!  I guess when your first game is against the best defensive player of this decade, anything after that is easy lol.  RT of the future for us when Smith hangs it up?

Zaire Franklin:  I need the national media to put some respect on his name.  On this pace for +200 tackles and still a 74 on Madden.  I’m hoping Shaq returns to form because him and Zaire would be a deadly duo.

Moss:  I thought we were going to struggle to run against the best run defense in the game, Miss showed otherwise.  Him and Taylor is probably the best one two punch in the league.

Minshew:  the vet strikes again.  We need to lock him up long term because he has been the best backup qb by far.  

Meh

Gus Bradley Defense:  I’m indifferent on this scheme.  Hopkins had the most yards of his Titans tenure and Tanny was eating us up.  BUT we did stop Derrick Henry and held an NFL team to 16 points.  

Bad

Alec Pierce:  if it wasn’t for his run blocking, I’m pretty he’d be replaced by Josh downs.  What a disappointment.  He needs to add some more to his route tree because the one thing he was supposed to be good he’s not good at it this year.

Shane 4th Down Call:  I’m tired of repeating myself lol.  Take the damn points Shane!

Anthony Richardson:  hurt again.  He has to learn this is the NFL.  Everyone is fast.  Maybe he thought he could beat the defender around the corner but he should’ve got down.  ATP, I don’t want to stop AR from running, but he needs to only run in OPEN space.  Other than that, get down.  Glad it’s not anything too bad.

Mad props to the O-Line - they manhandled TN

Moss is the man! He looked more like JT than JT did 

Juju Brents is the real deal 

Thank God for Matt Gay 

That hit by Buckner (and Franklin) on Shears.......BRICKWALL!!! That was absolutely amazing! 

Good job Pierce for finally catching something - that one secured the win 

Steichen has really got this team playing well 

Minshew isn't even the best backup in the league, he's better than some starters 

We need to get our TE's involved in the game waaaay more. I'd be ok if TE's ate into Pierce's reps

Olgetree is an actual tree! 

They need to fix/change/replace the turf at LOS. Too many injuries and concussions! 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When Tannehill plays us, he usually looks like Joe Montana carving us up with his dinks and dunks for some reason. He also usually has his 1 Michael Vick run which he did today. It is comical but we finally beat him and his coach. Huge key was, we held them to FG's mainly when they got into the RedZone and the big 4th down stop at the end where they got 0 points. How many times does Henry get stopped on 4th and 1, it rarely happens.

Yep. For a change, in a reversal, the Colts were the more physical team, on both sides of the ball. Gave the Titans a dose of smash-mouth football

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Yep. For a change, in a reversal, the Colts were the more physical team, on both sides of the ball. Gave the Titans a dose of smash-mouth football

Yeah I loved the way we beat them because they normally do that to us. For once, we finally got key breaks against them that they normally get against us. In the past, Henry waltzes in for a TD on that 4th and 1.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s just hard to be excited with a win with how Richardson got injured. Just not a good start to his career. Watching him play has been so fun. Colts offense not so fun without him.

I think the Colts offense was fun to watch, in most games with Minshew too. The key for me, is whether or not the o-line delivers the blocks.

12 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I won’t be shocked if Leonard is cut at the end of the year and Franklin gets a raise.

I Would be shocked if it didn't happen.

And I am with you, it was a workman type game with few highlights.

Q, Kelly, and a noteworthy Fries executed a whole Lotta high level blocks and Moss ground'em down.

And as a team we shut down their run game.

It was exciting watching a great WR Hopkins making great catches. We had  Downs making plays. 

It feels so good not to have to worry about the kicking game any longer.   Gay has been great on field goals and kick offs.  I think they actually tried to get the Titans to return a few and it worked and they started inside the 25.  Sanchez is his old self.  Looking great again.  No worries kicking wise.  Long time coming but finally here.