Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think he is hurting himself at this time.  People are starting to focus on the good RB's who are playing.  Swift, Robinson and Cook all have looked great.  Taylor who?

Problem is we don't have those RB's. Moss is playing good at least, I like him as he is legit good. The rest of our backs are bad. I am a Colts fan 1st, not just a fan of any 1 player but I also want what is best for the team. Great players win big games, Taylor is great and we are a better team with him is the bottom-line. 

• Like 3

The Bears are not playing WR Chase Claypool today after they traded for him at the deadline last year.  He’s a healthy scratch and is not happy in Chicago.  In the doghouse as the saying goes with the coaches.   I wonder if the Bears would offer him to the Colts as part of a package for Taylor.  Ballard was trying to get a receiver from the Dolphins and Packers when they were talking.  I’m thinking the Bears just might make the call.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s what I remember, had Irsay given that directive a deal would have gotten done.  Ballard isn’t going to ignore a directive from his Owner.

You would think that would be the case.

3 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay also cut Peyton Manning.  He will let players go if it’s in the best interest of the franchise.

That wasn't best interest for the franchise, best interest would have been to trade Peyton and get something for him but Irsay cut him because he wanted to let him go wherever he wanted. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Problem is we don't have those RB's. Moss is playing good at least, I like him as he is legit good. The rest of our backs are bad. I am a Colts fan 1st, not just a fan of any 1 player but I also want what is best for the team. Great players win big games, Taylor is great and we are a better team with him is the bottom-line. 

I don't disagree, but his value is going down each day.  

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 8:48 PM, iuswingman said:

It is not just for wanting a new contract.  It is for refusing to suit up by faking an injury and acting like this a year before his rookie contract is up.

It is one thing to want and ask for a new contract.  It is quite another thing to do what JT is doing. 

Pittman probably wants a new contract too but he is acting like an adult 

I don’t disagree with any of that! I believe I said in my post I don’t like the way it’s played out.

but the very basis for all of this….wanting a new contract…I don’t feel is out of line. Staging a silent “hold in”…ok whatever. The rest of it, he lost me. 

Right now the Colts offense needs as many weapons as they can get so they need a guy like Taylor.  Also, what I’ve noticed through four games as goes the running game from the running back position so goes the Colts offense.  When it’s playing well the offense moves when it’s not they don’t.  So they could use another productive runner to give them a nice one two punch and back the heat off their rookie QB.  

• Like 1

I would love nothing more for this team right now than for bygones to be bygones and for everyone to get work and help Richardson out. 

Taylor could still help his case for a huge payday by having big moments this year. It's Monday and I'm just going to choose to be optimistic today...

• Like 5

On 10/1/2023 at 1:02 PM, richard pallo said:

The Bears are not playing WR Chase Claypool today after they traded for him at the deadline last year.  He’s a healthy scratch and is not happy in Chicago.  In the doghouse as the saying goes with the coaches.   I wonder if the Bears would offer him to the Colts as part of a package for Taylor.  Ballard was trying to get a receiver from the Dolphins and Packers when they were talking.  I’m thinking the Bears just might make the call.

I saw it suggested that Claypool could be had for a 5th or 6th round pick. I seem to recall he's got a bad attitude but I'd at least figure out if thats situational and can be fixed. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Connors said:

I saw it suggested that Claypool could be had for a 5th or 6th round pick. I seem to recall he's got a bad attitude but I'd at least figure out if thats situational and can be fixed. 

I mean the Steelers and Bears both need WRs and if they both gave up on him because they feel like he’s that much of a cancer I would stay away.  

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Good it should be over.  Taylor is going to end up exactly where most said he would from the start.  Hope for his sake and the Colts sake he performs well.

On 10/1/2023 at 10:32 PM, richard pallo said:

Claypool told media a couple of days ago that the game plan and the system isn't helping him, which seemed to blame it on the coaches and that may be why he was inactive for the game. Bears also seem to have had concerns that he's not spending time on learning the playbook and film study. There have been lot of rumors similar to that tune in Pittsburgh and now in Chicago.

Also, from what I've seen from analysts studying his game and plays on the field, he doesn't get the nuances of playing in the NFL versus quality CBs and he doesn't help his QB out like great WRs do. He can only go as much as his natural talent takes him. 

You'd be better off trying to draft better receivers than trading for him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

It's the second time in two years he's had a problem with his team. I wouldn't take him if he was free.

• Like 3

He'll practice but how much does he need to speed up is the question.

Has he been very familiar with new playbook, play calls, communication, blocking schemes, offensive line play in new system?

Even for an elite RB, he may not be ready to pick up a new offensive system with new terminologies without building chemistry with new QB , all of which he should've done in the off-season.

Hurrying him up may lead to snap fumbles behind LOS, miscommunication and missing out on protection calls, and so on.

I think Steichen will look into how ready JT is this week, and it will require to go through all practice sessions at full strength.

Expecting Steichen to answer about JT's availability for next game in today's press conference is too much. 

6 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

He'll practice but how much does he need to speed up is the question.

Has he been very familiar with new playbook, play calls, communication, blocking schemes, offensive line play in new system?

Even for an elite RB, he may not be ready to pick up a new offensive system with new terminologies without building chemistry with new QB , all of which he should've done in the off-season.

Hurrying him up may lead to snap fumbles behind LOS, miscommunication and missing out on protection calls, and so on.

I think Steichen will look into how ready JT is this week, and it will require to go through all practice sessions at full strength.

Expecting Steichen to answer about JT's availability for next game in today's press conference is too much. 

My guess he plays but has limited snaps. They don’t go full load. Running backs can come in pretty easily without much practice. FWIW worth the report is coschdd have been watching him work out  and he is in great shape.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

He was a 2nd round pick the Steelers already traded in return for a ham sandwich. Now the Bears don’t even want him around the team.  He has already told everyone who he is (twice) so why give up anything to get him?

Here are the real options.  

1. Put a claim in once he is released. 
2. Don’t do anything once released and let him be a 3rd teams problem. 

# 1 is highly unlikely

# 2 is extremely likely

• Like 1