Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just saw this and I am also starting to believe this too.

How about his agent, a big Dolphins fan, got in his ear about how great Miami is and they will pay him big time. So he poisons the relationship with his current team to get them to trade him to his agent’s favorite team?

Not really necessary and not only hard to prove.....  but unlikely.  Taylor would take the money from Siberia if they offered.... Miami, Seattle, Green Bay, Houston.... I don't think he cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Just saw this and I am also starting to believe this too.

How about his agent, a big Dolphins fan, got in his ear about how great Miami is and they will pay him big time. So he poisons the relationship with his current team to get them to trade him to his agent’s favorite team?

If that's true, then no other NFL GMs would work with that agent after this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I think in the NFL if there is a Will there is a way.  Teams find ways to work around the cap all the time.

Yep. If they include a player or two in the trade, that would help. 

I don't always agree with Rich Eisen, but I do agree with the saying: "there's always money in the banana stand". 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

I'd lend more credence to this line of thinking, if his now wife, hadn't been with him since HS 

Good and fair point but money changes a lot of people, sometimes in bad ways. Not saying that is the case here but it is strange he gets married and now all the sudden something is wrong with Indianapolis. His agent doesn't help matters either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I personally would not give up JT up unless I get at least 1ST round pick. If it's Miami, a 2nd and Hunt who is a good O.Lineman. We better get something that is good. Otherwise I would not trade him.

I don't see anyone offering a 1st or 2nd rounder. He has injury history and will be looking for a new contract. Unless the Colts are willing to accept a 3rd or lower if another player is included, he won't go anywhere.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think in the NFL if there is a Will there is a way.  Teams find ways to work around the cap all the time.

Yes I believe at one point Saints last year had -70 in cap still signing players

Im exaggerating but still I know they were over the cap

10 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

I don't see anyone offering a 1st or 2nd rounder. He has injury history and will be looking for a new contract. Unless the Colts are willing to accept a 3rd or lower if another player is included, he won't go anywhere.

How about this trade?  JT for a 3rd rounder, RG Robert Hunt, and RB Myles Gaskin.

Hunt is in the final year of his rookie contract, and Gaskin is in his 5th year. Miami has to re-sign/extend them next year anyway, and they're only $11 million over the cap.  In the trade, the Colts assume the cap hit for both players, relieving Miami's cap issues (and giving them more space to sign JT), while the Colts get a starting RB (that won't be asking for $16mm) and a starting RG.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

How about this trade?  JT for a 3rd rounder, RG Robert Hunt, and RB Myles Gaskin.

Hunt is in the final year of his rookie contract, and Gaskin is in his 5th year. Miami has to re-sign/extend them next year anyway, and they're only $11 million over the cap.  In the trade, the Colts assume the cap hit for both players, relieving Miami's cap issues (and giving them more space to sign JT), while the Colts get a starting RB (that won't be asking for $16mm) and a starting RG.

share kiss GIF

I'm biased and want Robert Hunt though. 

19 minutes ago, Bearzzz said:

There are already reports the Colts have received offers that were better than expected.  Like you the consensus has been the Colts will not receive a 1st or 2nd.  More likely a 3rd or 4th or 5th.  It’s been reported that at least 6 or 7 teams are interested.  That’s almost a quarter of the league.  I guess we will find out soon enough.  But with that much interest I think the Colts get what they want or the equivalent.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/interest-in-jonathan-taylor-is-lower-than-most-would-have-expected

Interest in Jonathan Taylor is lower than most would have expected

By

Mike Florio

...Maybe it’s just not happening.

Thirty-one teams. And only six called? And only two made offers?

It doesn’t bode well for the team and the player getting what they want.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I don’t think we’re getting a clear cut starter plus early round picks for JT. 

At this point I’d honestly take Hunt for JT straight up. Might not be a good trade for us by the numbers (to some at least), but I’m far more worried about our OL/RG situation than our RB situation. 

• Like 1

I think the Colts are fine with keeping Taylor. Taylor is the one with the problem. The Colts demand for high compensation just boxes Taylor in and makes things move slow on purpose. Maybe Taylor will wake up and realize his options aren't many. You signed the contract dude! They haven't refused to pay you completely. The requirement is get healthy, let us see you play and then we can talk at some point.  I just think he should try to meet them half way. I'm sure they would consider throwing him a couple million up front to kiss some butt until next year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

There are already reports the Colts have received offers that were better than expected.  Like you the consensus has been the Colts will not receive a 1st or 2nd.  More likely a 3rd or 4th or 5th.  It’s been reported that at least 6 or 7 teams are interested.  That’s almost a quarter of the league.  I guess we will find out soon enough.  But with that much interest I think the Colts get what they want or the equivalent.

Link please. I've seen nothing.

1 hour ago, danlhart87 said:

Yes I believe at one point Saints last year had -70 in cap still signing players

Im exaggerating but still I know they were over the cap

They are -68 million last year, -96 million the year before. And using the same techniques both times, they got under the cap. Problem for them is they’re almost out of options to be able to use that on. 

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Per what source

• Thanks 1

Here is my fear. The Colts ask way too much for Taylor in a trade package (a 1st rounder) and get no takers. Then the Colts decide to put him on the PUP list, or Taylor decides to sit out and not play for the Colts all year. The Colts get no benefit from their best offensive player all year and the constant saga is a huge distraction to the team. He becomes a FA in 2024 and the Colts get absolutely nothing for one of their best players. This is a worst-case scenario I understand. With no takers in the trade market, Taylor could suck it up and decide to come back and play for the Colts all year. But if he decides not to play, this would be a serious setback for the team with little to show at the end of the process. All that said, is there a player you would consider trading straight up for Jonathan Taylor?

I am not talking about Patrick Mahomes or something like that, but realistically, what player would you deal Taylor for if any?

I advocated that the Colts take a look at Austin Ekeler earlier in the summer when he was seeking a trade from the Chargers. I would trade Taylor for Ekeler at this point. There may have to be some draft picks involved as well but I would do it. Ekeler seems like he would fit Steichen's system much better than Taylor. His pass catching skills alone (104 last season) would provide a great relief valve for Richardson and would help offset the fact that the Colts don't have true #1 wide receiver. The bonus is that the guy scores TD's in bunches (38 in the last two seasons). I realize that he will be a free agent also next year but he may be worth re-signing if he works well in our system.

31 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/interest-in-jonathan-taylor-is-lower-than-most-would-have-expected

Interest in Jonathan Taylor is lower than most would have expected

By

Mike Florio

...Maybe it’s just not happening.

Thirty-one teams. And only six called? And only two made offers?

It doesn’t bode well for the team and the player getting what they want.

Which contradicts what last night reports of comp being offered is higher than expected

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Honestly, I could go for this. However, if we’re assuming JTs 4 million This year, I think it needs to be a 2nd pick at least conditionally. 

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

That trade may work. It is just so tough to determine the value of a good RB. The position has been devalued over time, but RBs still continue to take on a heavy work load. Teams are not willing to pay top $$ for a RB but want high picks in return to trade a good back?