Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They will if our wide outs and tight ends dont develop. Think of Lamar .It's all cute and stuff till you make the playoffs and then teams just focus on shutting down the interior and the qb has to prove he can throw outside. I actually think that Steichen is going to build an offence very similar  to what the Eagles run. Bait teams with run and throw deep. Would it be great having Taylor and Richardson in same back field? Sure it would but it is not necessary.   The idea is to build an offence that is not soley built on 2 players. Eagles have proved it and their assets on the offence are at key positions.  IF Ballard signs Taylor to a long term extension before the season is over, he should be fired. It will just show arrogance and he hasnt learned a thing.

1 thing we do need and everyone in here knows this is just 1 dominant WR that can take over a game. We haven't had it since Reggie Wayne. That would really help matters. TY was good but he wasn't Reggie or near Marvin. I think Pittman is good but he isn't elite like Chase is or Jefferson is for example. I include Kelce in that mix too even though he is a TE. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The other issue with rbs  is that in order to pay them a 2nd contract, they have to be elite in all facets of their game. Taylor is not an elite player, but he maybe an elite runner. McCaffery is worth it because he is an elite weapon and  defenses never know the play because he is an elite pass catcher and runner and Taylor is not.

To say Taylor isn't an elite player is absolutely laughable. I'll agree that he doesn't deserve the same payday McCaffery is getting but as far as a true running back Taylor is better. Has better explosiveness, power and vision. This is coming from someone who favorite collegiate player of all time is CMC. If a player can single handedly put the team on his back and bring in a win then they are elite and that's what Taylor has done for us several times. If the Colts get to any relevancy with in the next 3-5 years and he puts up 3-4 more +1300 rushing yards a year he will at least get some HOF talk when he retires. 

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 thing we do need and everyone in here knows this is just 1 dominant WR that can take over a game. We haven't had it since Reggie Wayne. That would really help matters. TY was good but he wasn't Reggie or near Marvin. I think Pittman is good but he isn't elite like Chase is or Jefferson is for example. I include Kelce in that mix too even though he is a TE. 

I do think that Ballard did an excellent t job of drafting wrs and tes last year. It was almost like he knew we would be drafting Richardson l. I think their skill set fits Richardson.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, twfish said:

To say Taylor isn't an elite player is absolutely laughable. I'll agree that he doesn't deserve the same payday McCaffery is getting but as far as a true running back Taylor is better. Has better explosiveness, power and vision. This is coming from someone who favorite collegiate player of all time is CMC. If a player can single handedly put the team on his back and bring in a win then they are elite and that's what Taylor has done for us several times. If the Colts get to any relevancy with in the next 3-5 years and he puts up 3-4 more +1300 rushing yards a year he will at least get some HOF talk when he retires. 

I think u r forgetting that he had one elite year. It's no laugable. I called him maybe an elite runner but that is on one year. To me if u want to call him an elite player, he needs to elite at pass blocking and pass catching. Is elite in those areas? He is not and that is why I don't call him elite plus he had one great year and I don't call players elite after one great year.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, twfish said:

Is he maybe a better runner that Chris? He maybe however u r basing all your comparisons on one great year from Taylor and Chris has a much stronger resume and is a complete back.  For example u could give Taylor a 9 in running the ball and Chris an 8. Now when it comes to pass catching it ain't close and thats why he is far more complete back and today's game, pass catching matters.

48 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hurt's game really took off after the Eagles signed AJ Brown.

But AJ Brown is a 100M WR.  We don't have a guy like that on the roster currently.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

People said the same thing about Nelson .  No worries the salary cap is going up we can afford him lol.

I didnt love paying that much to a guard but to be fair we are not actually in cap trouble now either.  We do need more at WR but the top free agents are looking for teams with stable qbs anyway 

42 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think people understand how important Taylor is going to be in the offense Steichen wants to run. In reality colts should be able to develop a more explosive offense then the eagles. Taylor is ten times the back eagles have and Richardson is a more explosive runner then Hurts. 

They don't understand, many think RB's are just disposable. Taylor is the type of RB that can break off a 70 yard run at anytime. There are outliers to every position, and he is one of them. Our strong point will be running the ball, some don't like that because it's not flashy but it will win us games and that is all that matters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You act like that will be easy to stop, a spy on AR lmao . If you read my initial post I did say AR would have to complete 2 or 3 long passes to open things up. So I get how the whole concept works. If someone puts a spy on AR all he has to do is complete a short pass over the middle that will burn the defense that goes for 20 yards or so. Since Taylor has been here, we have never had a QB that can run against a stacked box. Once AR breaks off a long run or complete's 1 pass that burns a team, they won't be able to stack. Then Taylor goes off.

I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but if I had to put money on it I’d choose a veteran defense over a rookie QB and an underperforming Oline.

It’s not “just” completing 2-3 deep passes early and then easily busting a 20 yard run around the corner…

Look, AR could be absolutely awesome this year and so could our Oline. But AR is a rookie and our Oline SUCKED last season. In other words I’ll believe it when I see it. 

I have HIGH hopes for Steichen and the gang, but we’re introducing a new system with new coaches and our 8th (and maybe 9th) QB of the last 7 years at the helm. Also outside this forum, that 9th QB (AR) is considered raw. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’ve been here few off seasons now and it seems the modus operandi around here is: We get some athletic rookies, a few meh FAs and maybe a new coach or two and it’s “We just have to do this, this and this and we’re winning it easy!” 

I’ll believe it when I see it. 

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but if I had to put money on it I’d choose a veteran defense over a rookie QB and an underperforming Oline.

It’s not “just” completing 2-3 deep passes early and then easily busting a 20 yard run around the corner…

Look, AR could be absolutely awesome this year and so could our Oline. But AR is a rookie and our Oline SUCKED last season. In other words I’ll believe it when I see it. 

I have HIGH hopes for Steichen and the gang, but we’re introducing a new system with new coaches and our 8th (and maybe 9th) QB of the last 7 years at the helm. Also outside this forum, that 9th QB (AR) is considered raw. I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’ve been here few off seasons now and it seems the modus operandi around here is: We get some athletic rookies, a few meh FAs and maybe a new coach or two and it’s “We just have to do this, this and this and we’re winning it easy!” 

I’ll believe it when I see it. 

I pick us to be a .500 team but I see the formula to winning with what we have, it will just take time. 

• Like 1

I believe TWO THINGS regarding JT's contract extension:

1.  Jonathan Taylor has made it clear that he wants to remain an Indianapolis Colts.

2.  Chris Ballard has a history of rewarding his "core players" with contract extensions that are both player-friendly - AND - team-friendly.

It WILL happen - we all just have to be patient.

Lots of great discussion in here.

I think one thing that should be stressed is that even if we overpay JT based on comparables, I don't really think it will make an overall impact to the cap decisions this team wants to make...Don't we have upwards of something like 23 million this year? I know we haven't signed all of our players just yet, but this team is YOUNG. 

If you're counting on AR being your QB the next 5 years, you can easily afford a FAIR contract for one of the best RBs in the league plus basically everything else you want to get. That's the best part about a rookie QB. Our cap will be easy for the next 4 years. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cjrulli said:

Lots of great discussion in here.

I think one thing that should be stressed is that even if we overpay JT based on comparables, I don't really think it will make an overall impact to the cap decisions this team wants to make...Don't we have upwards of something like 23 million this year? I know we haven't signed all of our players just yet, but this team is YOUNG. 

If you're counting on AR being your QB the next 5 years, you can easily afford a FAIR contract for one of the best RBs in the league plus basically everything else you want to get. That's the best part about a rookie QB. Our cap will be easy for the next 4 years. 

Yeah we have around $23m right now. Will be closer to $18m after we sign the rest of our rookies.

Definitely have the money to add $4-$6m for Taylor(my scenario adds $4m this year)in cap this year to help future years of extension.

Have another $4-$6m for Pittman if we want to as well.

Would only leave $8-$10m for the season, would probably rule out signing a Guard or additional CB.

Although we can still clear some money if we wanted to. MAC stands out($2.9m), also whenever Rodgers suspension gets announced we will pick up another $2.7m in cap space.

• Like 1

The team friendly deal would be a 3 year extension for 40 mil, but I doubt JT would take such a lowball offer. It's hard to figure out what to do honestly. JT is arguably our best player, but when do the wheels start falling off.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They don't understand, many think RB's are just disposable. Taylor is the type of RB that can break off a 70 yard run at anytime. There are outliers to every position, and he is one of them. Our strong point will be running the ball, some don't like that because it's not flashy but it will win us games and that is all that matters.

Right. There is a difference in giving a RB big money who isn’t special. But Taylor is special. We also have a QB on a rookie deal so we can afford it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sb41champs said:

I believe TWO THINGS regarding JT's contract extension:

1.  Jonathan Taylor has made it clear that he wants to remain an Indianapolis Colts.

2.  Chris Ballard has a history of rewarding his "core players" with contract extensions that are both player-friendly - AND - team-friendly.

It WILL happen - we all just have to be patient.

I don't think it happens. I think Steichen will say no.

57 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Right. There is a difference in giving a RB big money who isn’t special. But Taylor is special. We also have a QB on a rookie deal so we can afford it. 

Define special.

7 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is he maybe a better runner that Chris? He maybe however u r basing all your comparisons on one great year from Taylor and Chris has a much stronger resume and is a complete back.  For example u could give Taylor a 9 in running the ball and Chris an 8. Now when it comes to pass catching it ain't close and thats why he is far more complete back and today's game, pass catching matters.

JT hasn't really been given many opportunities in the passing game.  His yards per reception the first 2 years was very good,  just not many passes his way.    I'm curious how SS plans to use him

• Like 1

10 hours ago, w87r said:

Whatever, move the goal post much? Was ready for it though. I knew once you got called on your ridiculously easy question, you would spin it.

You asked for 1, I gave you 4 off the top of head. Not just 4, but 4 HOFers.

Now you want to say current market? The current market is in the midst of their career, and there is quite a few who have played with 1 team at the moment. How can they retire with a team if they are still playing?

I will just go back to leaving your post, with no response from me. 

While I agree with what you are saying I get what he is too. T Davis is the most recent RB on your list and he retired 21 years ago.  Definitely a different era. Are there any elite or pro bowl RBs in the last 20 years that played on a single team? I’m not challenging you and only curious bc it’s an interesting topic.  Google didn’t bring back much besides an article listing the four players you named.  Did see that article list Jamal Charles but it looks like he played two games for Jacksonville his last year. 

I do think it’s rare at any position to play for a single team. Did run across a fun fact. With the Aaron Rodgers trade, Dak Prescott is the longest tenured QB for the same team right now. Thought that was interesting. 

5 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

While I agree with what you are saying I get what he is too. T Davis is the most recent RB on your list and he retired 21 years ago.  Definitely a different era. Are there any elite or pro bowl RBs in the last 20 years that played on a single team? I’m not challenging you and only curious bc it’s an interesting topic.  Google didn’t bring back much besides an article listing the four players you named.  Did see that article list Jamal Charles but it looks like he played two games for Jacksonville his last year. 

I do think it’s rare at any position to play for a single team. Did run across a fun fact. With the Aaron Rodgers trade, Dak Prescott is the longest tenured QB for the same team right now. Thought that was interesting. 

We will see what the Titans do with Derrick Henry when this season is over.  

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

The team friendly deal would be a 3 year extension for 40 mil, but I doubt JT would take such a lowball offer. It's hard to figure out what to do honestly. JT is arguably our best player, but when do the wheels start falling off.

3 years, $40 mill, $13.3 per is a low ball offer for a RB?   

On?   What?    Planet?!? 

It would make Taylor the 3rd highest paid RB in the NFL, behind only McCaffrey and Kamara!    And it comes at a time when RB money is drying up. 

And if that isn’t enough, you didn’t even mention the key which is always the guaranteed money. 

Come on now…..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

8 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Are there any elite or pro bowl RBs in the last 20 years that played on a single team?

Tiki Barber 3x pro bowler 1x All Pro

Deuce McAllister 2x pro bowler 

Willie Parker 2x pro bowler 

We will check back on the "current market" later. Perhaps once they start actually retiring.

Henry has a pretty good chance of spending his whole career with Titans 

There might be a few other potentials, and I hope one of them is Taylor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, w87r said:

We will check back on the "current market" later. Perhaps once they start actually retiring.

Joseph Addai = Pro-Bowler in 2007, SB Champion in 2006 Homer Watching GIF

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Joseph Addai = Pro-Bowler in 2007, SB Champion in 2006 Homer Watching GIF

Mike Alstott as well, although he was more FB but had a few years in there where he was used as more of a RB.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

3 years, $40 mill, $13.3 per is a low ball offer for a RB?   

On?   What?    Planet?!? 

It would make Taylor the 3rd highest paid RB in the NFL, behind only McCaffrey and Kamara!    And it comes at a time when RB money is drying up. 

And if that isn’t enough, you didn’t even mention the key which is always the guaranteed money. 

Come on now…..

Saquan said no to 14 mil.

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Saquan said no to 14 mil.

Do you know for how many years?  

Do you know how much is guaranteed?   

There’s more to a contract than just one number, no matter the player or the position. 

And what is acceptable for one player may not work for another. 

On 6/15/2023 at 12:54 PM, Solid84 said:

Really? I absolutely expect JT to have a rough start to the season, because our opponents will stack the box until Gardner and AR prove they can get a passing game going. If they can’t it’ll be very rough. 

Agree.  Our QB position this year may not be much more competent than it was last year.  If there is a jail break against our oline because the defense does not respect the pass, no Qb can avoid that kind of pressure and JT will have a rough time.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think u r forgetting that he had one elite year. It's no laugable. I called him maybe an elite runner but that is on one year. To me if u want to call him an elite player, he needs to elite at pass blocking and pass catching. Is elite in those areas? He is not and that is why I don't call him elite plus he had one great year and I don't call players elite after one great year.

I think this is accurate.  JT is an elite runner, but not really shown to be a complete player yet.  I believe there were times that he was taken out of the game due to situational circumstances (pass catching...blocking?).

Yes. a RB needs a breather and I can see a series of plays where he's on the bench for that, but, IMO, an elite RB should never be taken out of a game because of situations (where there is still need for a RB on the field).  There should not be a bigger threat from the RB spot than your elite RB, regardless of situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I think this is accurate.  JT is an elite runner, but not really shown to be a complete player yet.  I believe there were times that he was taken out of the game due to situational circumstances (pass catching...blocking?).

Yes. a RB needs a breather and I can see a series of plays where he's on the bench for that, but, IMO, an elite RB should never be taken out of a game because of situations (where there is still need for a RB on the field).  There should not be a bigger threat from the RB spot than your elite RB, regardless of situation.

I listened to one gm on Barkley. He had the same problem early on. He was such a por pass blocker that teams knew it was a running play when he was in the game. He has evolved and is now a complete back. JT is not but we shall c.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

JT hasn't really been given many opportunities in the passing game.  His yards per reception the first 2 years was very good,  just not many passes his way.    I'm curious how SS plans to use him

Agreed. I would never offer him a contract this year. Don't make the Nelson mistake all over again. I love Taylor as a runner but I am comfortable letting it play out and franchising him. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you know for how many years?  

Do you know how much is guaranteed?   

There’s more to a contract than just one number, no matter the player or the position. 

And what is acceptable for one player may not work for another. 

Heres the offer. 12 mil my mistake.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/5/25/23736258/heres-how-a-saquon-barkley-contract-extension-could-look#:~:text=There is %2423.5 million guaranteed,fully-guaranteed salary in 2023.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Agree.  Our QB position this year may not be much more competent than it was last year.  If there is a jail break against our oline because the defense does not respect the pass, no Qb can avoid that kind of pressure and JT will have a rough time.  

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. In addition to oline play, its AR’s ability to show he’s a passing threat that will benefit JT, more so than AR’s threat as a runner. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:59 AM, w87r said:

Thank you for posting those.  I forgot about those guys.  All three were very good running backs. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2023 at 6:59 AM, w87r said:

A good current one might be Alvin Kamara who has played all seven years with the Saints.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

A good current one might be Alvin Kamara who has played all seven years with the Saints.

Yeah there is quite a few currently.

The one that tops the list for me is Henry though.

Kamara will be an interesting case, a lot still to be decided there. Pending legal trouble, suspension. $19m cap hit in 24 and $29m cap hit in 25.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:45 PM, DougDew said:

That's hard to believe but you could be right. A lot will depend on the OL, if it plays like the last two seasons it really won't matter who's behind center. If it builds on from some better play they had late last season I think Minshew/a inexperienced raw AR5 will improve the QB play from last year. Ryan, SamE. and Foles were really, really bad and awful  OL play contributed.