Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor comments on his contract/Request trade (Merge)

GoColts8818

On 6/21/2023 at 2:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think the only way your scenario plays out is if Taylor is badly hurt again and his value plummets.   If that happens,  the future becomes very questionable.   

But if it doesn’t, and JT enjoys two good to very good years, then I think the Colts tag him in 24 and 25 before figuring things out then.    

But that would still leave three more years of Taylor with the Colts.   

I suspect it plays out exactly like you suggest. Assuming no holdout by Taylor. If he’d take 3 years $30m , with $17m guaranteed, that feels like a fair deal. But you have to assume he’ll want to max out his money early (4 years, $13m/yr, $26m guaranteed) given the reality of a RB’s shelf life. If no deal can be struck because of a demand like this, which feels likely, the Colts have to tag him, even if it risks a holdout. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2023 at 12:09 PM, Jackie Daytona said:

The thing is, you have to HAVE those other players that warrant spending the money on them.  Outside of Taylor.....who at those positions are you giving the bag to?  

you just dont give Taylor oodles of money because you have no one else worthy of a contract. You give him what the market dictates

It is going to be tough to pay Taylor anything less than 15 million a year. McCaffery = 4 years 64 million, 16 million a year. Alvin Kamara = 5 years 75 million, 15 million a year.

After looking at what those 2 make, I would sign Taylor to a 4 year 60 million deal with half of that money guaranteed being 30 mill. Kamara isn't better than Taylor, also Taylor just turned 24, he would only be 28 by the end of his deal. That is when you move on when he is 28. Getting rid of a 24 year old RB makes no sense, especially when it is your best player. 

The market dictates he should be paid like a top 3 RB in the league - especially being only 24, no debating that.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is going to be tough to pay Taylor anything less than 15 million a year. McCaffery = 4 years 64 million, 16 million a year. Alvin Kamara = 5 years 75 million, 15 million a year.

After looking at what those 2 make, I would sign Taylor to a 4 year 60 million deal with half of that money guaranteed being 30 mill. Kamara isn't better than Taylor, also Taylor just turned 24, he would only be 28 by the end of his deal. That is when you move on when he is 28. Getting rid of a 24 year old RB makes no sense, especially when it is your best player. 

The market dictates he should be paid like a top 3 RB in the league - especially being only 24, no debating that.

Both those guys are better pass catching backs then JT though.

• Like 2

Z. Elliot and D. Cook are both 27 and as we all are aware they were released. Taylor already had a lot of carries at Wisconsin. I believe more than Elliot or Cook. History probably doesn't bold well for Taylor. Hope not!

Absolutely! He's earned a 2nd contract. Will it be worth it? We shall see. I don't think he's a young 24, with all those of miles.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Taylor and his agent are going to say so what lmao. Taylor and his agent are going to say he is the better 'RB' and best player on his team. That he should make about the same as those guys and he is younger. 

Running backs are kind of stuck. They can’t hold out and ask for trades because no team is paying running backs what they want.  Pittman will probably be the harder one to get done. To be fair he hasn’t had the best situation and QB so it’s hard to determine his value. I heard someone say Pittman with his run after catch ability might fit with Richardson really well since there will probably be more space with Richardson and JT and running the football.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, MB-ColtsFan said:

I think the point being made here is that the market for RB is being reset.  What is the new market?  Those currently looking for contracts will determine that.

What do you consider an overpay?

Anything over 8 mil a year. After this point I think the rest of the monies wanted should be performance/availability based.  Stay healthy and perform well to earn the extra few mil you feel your worth...I mean there are few exceptions where if your a consistent WR threat on top of putting up good rushing stats you deserve more. But that can be built in with incentives.

• Like 1

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Anything over 8 mil a year. After this point I think the rest of the monies wanted should be performance/availability based.  Stay healthy and perform well to earn the extra few mil you feel your worth...

If you

18 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Plus we set the market a G and OLB, and doing at RB will only constrict us when we find our answers at LT, WR, and CBs. Taylor is my favorite player but I don't want to eat the cap when RB is an easy position to be successful cheaper.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Anything over 8 mil a year. After this point I think the rest of the monies wanted should be performance/availability based.  Stay healthy and perform well to earn the extra few mil you feel your worth...I mean there are few exceptions where if your a consistent WR threat on top of putting up good rushing stats you deserve more. But that can be built in with incentives.

Ok….   You might want to re-think this.   

Why in the world would JT accept anything less than $10.1 mill per year?   That’s the franchise tag number.    Any offer less than that would be immediately rejected and viewed as not serious and even insulting. 

And that’s simply not going to happen.   Even the other top RB’s are being offered the tag so that is your floor, the starting point for any negotiation. 

And a reminder, the salary cap is about to blow up, it’s going to go way, way up over the next few years.   The Colts are a well managed small market team.  They can afford to do whatever they want to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saquon Franchise Tagged.

Months after the Giants first used the franchise tag on Saquon Barkley, the two sides remain without a new contract, with Barkley even entertaining a holdout that extends into the 2023 season. But New York recently reextended an offer to the running back in an effort to retain the Pro Bowler for this year and beyond, according to NFL Media.

Jones, who enjoyed a breakout 2022 campaign at quarterback, landed a four-year, $160 million extension ahead of free agency in March. Barkley, meanwhile, would earn a guaranteed $10 million under the tag, which he's yet to sign. The latter has indicated he won't do that, however, while seeking longer-term security, though he's struck an optimistic tone when addressing his future.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-25-nfl-players-25-and-under-for-2023-vikings-justin-jefferson-among-nine-wrs-cowboys-with-two-in-top-10/

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok….   You might want to re-think this.   

Why in the world would JT accept anything less than $10.1 mill per year?   That’s the franchise tag number.    Any offer less than that would be immediately rejected and viewed as not serious and even insulting. 

And that’s simply not going to happen.   Even the other top RB’s are being offered the tag so that is your floor, the starting point for any negotiation. 

And a reminder, the salary cap is about to blow up, it’s going to go way, way up over the next few years.   The Colts are a well managed small market team.  They can afford to do whatever they want to do. 

That's why I said plus bonuses. Let's say 8 Mil base. Then .1 mil for every 100 yrds. Throw another .1 mil for every game he is available for and that seems fair. He could easily make 10 to 12 mil having a good season. After looking at top RB pays in the league the starting point might have to be 10. But I would want anjury clause that could bring that number down for unavailability...

On 6/24/2023 at 2:50 AM, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts do not have a reputation of being cheap.   The problem is, right now in the NFL, no one knows what Taylor is worth.   Seriously, nobody knows.

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder,  value of a top running back is in the eye of the beholder.  The agent and RB want the type of money that used to be paid out to top RBs in the past 3-5 years.  As you know, teams are now reluctant to pay that kind of money to the position.  So paying Taylor what he’s worth is a big unknown.   A point I’ve been trying to emphasize in multiple posts now.   JT’s situation is much harder to solve than you have suggested.   

Colts are definately fair with contracts, sometimes too fair.

49 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

That's why I said plus bonuses. Let's say 8 Mil base. Then .1 mil for every 100 yrds. Throw another .1 mil for every game he is available for and that seems fair. He could easily make 10 to 12 mil having a good season. After looking at top RB pays in the league the starting point might have to be 10. But I would want anjury clause that could bring that number down for unavailability...

Why would Taylor agree to earning money based on bonuses?   Players who get tagged are fully guaranteed.   The Colts would be offering him a contract roughly 20 percent below the tag.   That’s 20 percent below the floor.  I know you’re trying to protect the Colts, but it would be rejected immediately and viewed as a step backwards in negotiations. 

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

James Boyd has been filling in on radio. Been doing a great job too. Anyway he echoed what I said above. You hitch JT to Richardson.  You tie JT contract to Richardson and hope by the time Richardson becomes a star you can then make a decision to keep him when Richardson needs a new contract.

Why hitch Richarsdon to  him? U have this year and u can franchise him for another. That's 2 years and by the end of year 2, we should have a pretty good idea where we are at with Richardson. He may  be a star in the making, and we no longer need Taylor. Richardson could be a bust, and then again, we don't need Taylor. Let it play out.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2023 at 1:40 PM, PRnum1 said:

Saquon Franchise Tagged.

Months after the Giants first used the franchise tag on Saquon Barkley, the two sides remain without a new contract, with Barkley even entertaining a holdout that extends into the 2023 season. But New York recently reextended an offer to the running back in an effort to retain the Pro Bowler for this year and beyond, according to NFL Media.

Jones, who enjoyed a breakout 2022 campaign at quarterback, landed a four-year, $160 million extension ahead of free agency in March. Barkley, meanwhile, would earn a guaranteed $10 million under the tag, which he's yet to sign. The latter has indicated he won't do that, however, while seeking longer-term security, though he's struck an optimistic tone when addressing his future.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/top-25-nfl-players-25-and-under-for-2023-vikings-justin-jefferson-among-nine-wrs-cowboys-with-two-in-top-10/

I think people really forget what Steichen wants from his rb. Does he want to pay a rb 13 million a year who cannot pass block and is an average pass catcher? To get that kind of money, a rb to me needs to be elite in all facets of the game. Taylor is not.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Why hitch Richarsdon to  him? U have this year and u can franchise him for another. That's 2 years and by the end of year 2, we should have a pretty good idea where we are at with Richardson. He may  be a star in the making, and we no longer need Taylor. Richardson could be a bust, and then again, we don't need Taylor. Let it play out.

Running backs are not going to play on franchise tags. That’s a fantasy. They will hold out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think people really forget what Steichen wants from his rb. Does he want to pay a rb 13 million a year who cannot pass block and is an average pass catcher? To get that kind of money, a rb to me needs to be elite in all facets of the game. Taylor is not.

Funny because Emmitt Smith could pass catch much better than Barry Sanders and Jim Brown who you think smoke Emmitt, (look up the stats and by eye test it was clear) and Emmitt was also a great pass blocker - ask Troy Aikman, but yet you think Emmitt isn't even a top 10 RB of all-time. Interesting. Emmitt is also the all-time leading rusher. 

Taylor is like a Barry Sanders type back, faster than everyone and a top 3 runner in the league today. He deserves a big contract considering his age. He doesn't need to be a great pass catcher. His job is to run period and that is what he should be paid to do. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Funny because Emmitt Smith could pass catch much better than Barry Sanders and Jim Brown who you think smoke Emmitt, (look up the stats and by eye test it was clear) and Emmitt was also a great pass blocker - ask Troy Aikman, but yet you think Emmitt isn't even a top 10 RB of all-time. Interesting. Emmitt is also the all-time leading rusher. 

Taylor is like a Barry Sanders type back, faster than everyone and a top 3 runner in the league today. He deserves a big contract considering his age. He doesn't need to be a great pass catcher. His job is to run period and that is what he should be paid to do. 

Taylor is fast but I wouldn’t say he’s sanders type.  Sanders would spin and juke people out of their shoes.  Taylor is more a north and south physical runner gifted with Sanders type speed.  Personally he reminds me more of Thurman Thomas.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Taylor is fast but I wouldn’t say he’s sanders type.  Sanders would spin and juke people out of their shoes.  Taylor is more a north and south physical runner gifted with Sanders type speed.  Personally he reminds me more of Thurman Thomas.

More a young Frank Gore to me

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Thurmon Thomas is a good comparison. I just brought up Sanders because he really didn't pass catch much and was an average at best pass blocker + Taylor has speed like him in the open field. Barry Sanders is in my top 4 RB's of all-time and he was paid to do 1 thing - run the damn ball :thmup:

On 6/30/2023 at 12:39 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

Who knows what he covets in a running back?  Has he spoken about it?

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:00 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have Emmitt around the 5th best RB of all time.   Sanders is number 1 in my book.   

On 6/30/2023 at 7:00 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That was a different era though. It’s a passing league now. 

5 hours ago, Solid84 said:

That was a different era though. It’s a passing league now. 

Are you saying Barry Sanders wouldn't be the best RB today? I would take him over McCaffrey or Kamara and would not even be close. Both are better pass catchers than Barry but that is not a RB's primary job. A RB's job is to run for 100 yards a game to keep defenses honest and give a team balance on offense. 

4 hours ago, Myles said:

He would have another 5000 yards at least.  

5000 more yards, I highly doubt it. The Cowboys offensive Line was designed to have runners that were North/South runners, Barry was a East/West runner and relied on speed mainly. 

I am not going to debate your ranking with Barry because I have him 4th all-time so you and I are barely disagreeing there. I just think the people taking away from what Emmitt accomplished because he had a great O.Line is MEH. I could say stuff like, what if Jerry Rice didn't have Joe Montana and Steve Young for his whole career, would have been the clear cut GOAT? A WR that never gets talked about in the GOAT Convo is Cris Carter and he never had anyone near Joe or Steve. I am sure Carter could have done the same things Rice did if he had that team out in SF. What Emmitt had over any back that has ever played is, he could do it all = Run with power, and he had enough speed to get by. He could pass block, catch, and he played with injuries that most backs would miss 1 or 2 games over. Emmitt was the definition of an NFL RB in every way. When he sat for 2 games because of the contract dispute, the Cowboys were manure with that great Line + they still had Aikman and Irvin and still stunk without Emmitt. Emmitt comes back and the Cowboys win 9 straight games. He also beat the Giants with one arm with HFA on the line, you can have Barry and his highlight reel, I am taking Emmitt all day.

My top 5 RB's of all-time are:

1. Jim Brown - He just set the tone for every RB/FB period. He dominated every season he played in.

2. Emmitt Smith

3. Walter Payton - he and Emmitt are like clones. He could do it all as well.

4. Barry Sanders

5. Eric Dickerson - he couldn't pass catch very well either but was a top 5 Runner of all-time IMO.

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Are you saying Barry Sanders wouldn't be the best RB today? I would take him over McCaffrey or Kamara and would not even be close. Both are better pass catchers than Barry but that is not a RB's primary job. A RB's job is to run for 100 yards a game to keep defenses honest and give a team balance on offense. 

I’m sure he would be the better RB as far as actually running the ball, but an RB in the modern era more or less has to be a threat in the passing game as well. I think a lot of teams would prefer McCaffrey or Kamara for that reason. 

If we're discussing all time great RBs, Adrian Peterson needs to be in the conversation imo. He was just bigger, faster, and stronger then anyone else. His 2011 injury would have ended the career of many backs, but he comes back and wins MVP over Peyton. The last non-QB to win it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

If we're discussing all time great RBs, Adrian Peterson needs to be in the conversation imo. He was just bigger, faster, and stronger then anyone else. His 2011 injury would have ended the career of many backs, but he comes back and wins MVP over Peyton. The last non-QB to win it.

Watch some Earl Cambell videos.  He was AD before AD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Peterson is in my top 10. Not sure where because after my top 5 it is close between around 10 other guys. You have players like Earl Campbell but he had a short career, LaDainian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, etc.. Where does Derrick Henry belong? Franco Harris and Tony Dorsett should be mentioned as well.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

If we’re name dropping running backs for consideration….   I’ll drop in two….

OJ Simpson and Marcus Allen. 

I was going to mention OJ but didn't for reasons people know. A buddy of mine is a huge USC fan, he is in his 60's so he remembers the 70's well. He thinks OJ is top 5 to this day. My mom of all people loved Marcus Allen when he played. She once said, he looks so smooth when he runs, like nobody can touch him :thmup:. Allen was great at avoiding defenders, when he did it, it was like how did he do it? He wasn't real fast but his vision was among the best, can't teach that.

I really wish Bo Jackson would not have got injured, that guy may have been the GOAT had he played 10 years or so. He was a freak. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solid84 said:

Just rewatched some Alstott highlights. That guy was a different animal. Not in the league of the other guys mentioned, but I loved watching him tote the ball man.

Alstott is a perfect FB to have for any good primary runner. He could block and run well. Down by the goal line he was powerful.

• Like 1