Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jelani Woods

atapcl

9 minutes ago, atapcl said:

Any injury updates on Jelani Woods? 

Jelani Woods, TE
Mon, Oct 2: Colts head coach Shane Steichen said Monday that Woods (hamstring) will remain on injured reserve this week, implying that the tight end won't be activated ahead of Sunday's game against the Titans, Nate Atkins of The Indianapolis Star reports.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t expect anything from Woods this season. Dude can’t get healthy for whatever reason. I traded him away from my dynasty football team this summer for a reason. 

Torn hamstrings don’t heal quickly. With the depth at TE there’s no need to rush him back a second time. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

My guess is he is healthy. They just don’t want to cut a TE. So when there is a injury he will be back

That would imply (to me) that they don’t value Woods as much as they do the other TE’s.  I know that there was some talk on these boards that the staff isn’t exactly pleased with his work ethic.  Not sure if that also plays into this decision or not?

• Like 1

TE has become the most competitive position on the roster, and Woods has been languishing on PUP for weeks. I still think he's a physical matchup nightmare, but there are rumors that his prep and conditioning aren't where they should be, and now it's cost him a spot in the rotation. I don't know what will happen in the coming weeks, but until someone else drops off, it might be hard for Woods to get off PUP, let alone actually suit up on game day.

He probably could have taken MAC's roster spot if he had been ready to go at the end of camp.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Rather have him back healthy. Ogletree was out all of last season. Granson needs to step it up a bit. TE depth is fine though. 

Ogletree looks really good. Cox having some big plays doesn’t help woods either. This is one position I am not worried about if he comes back or not. All our TE have looked pretty good.

• Like 6

On 10/3/2023 at 1:15 PM, BProland85 said:

I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t expect anything from Woods this season. Dude can’t get healthy for whatever reason. I traded him away from my dynasty football team this summer for a reason. 

Four games into a season and you’ve given up on a player.   Unbelievable.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Four games into a season and you’ve given up on a player.   Unbelievable.  :facepalm:

I haven't given up on him. He's probably our most physically gifted TE. But I am concerned for him. If the rumors about him showing up out of shape are true, and he's in the dog house, and we have four guys ahead of him... he might not see the field unless a couple guys get hurt.

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

I haven't given up on him. He's probably our most physically gifted TE. But I am concerned for him. If the rumors about him showing up out of shape are true, and he's in the dog house, and we have four guys ahead of him... he might not see the field unless a couple guys get hurt.

Your mention of the rumors about Woods being out of shape are the first I’ve heard about it.   And the poster I was responding to didn’t mention it either, so I don’t think it was part of his consideration.  

But since you have stated it, that certainly gets my attention and would be hugely disappointing if true.   Very disappointing.  

Thanks for the 411. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your mention of the rumors about Woods being out of shape are the first I’ve heard about it.   And the poster I was responding to didn’t mention it either, so I don’t think it was part of his consideration.  

But since you have stated it, that certainly gets my attention and would be hugely disappointing if true.   Very disappointing.  

Thanks for the 411. 

Yeah there've been some rumblings about his habits. I take them with a pinch of salt of course, rumors are all about driving agendas.

He's a potential beast of a player. My rule of thumb for TEs is I expect their main production to come starting year 3. He's so gifted that i thought year 2 might be all it takes for him. He's a weapon in waiting for sure

• Like 2

More signs of the Cultural change that was needed in the organization. Players being held accountable for their performance, I love it. If Woods wants a career in the NFL, he wakes up quickly. Rumors of his lack of conditioning so early in his career is not what his professional brand needs. 
TE room is deep and I am a huge believer once Will Mallory gets back up on the active squad, he will be there to stay. 

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Where did you see those rumors? Just curious.

If Woods can get healthy (and get his head right?) he has unlimited potential.

Right now, I'm loving what I'm seeing out of Ogletree as a receiver. Mo and Granson are inconsistent in that department.

We do still need a Jack Doyle type... a plus blocker with reliable hands in the short game... that type of guy can help a young QB so much.

On 10/3/2023 at 6:49 PM, Superman said:

TE has become the most competitive position on the roster, and Woods has been languishing on PUP for weeks. I still think he's a physical matchup nightmare, but there are rumors that his prep and conditioning aren't where they should be, and now it's cost him a spot in the rotation. I don't know what will happen in the coming weeks, but until someone else drops off, it might be hard for Woods to get off PUP, let alone actually suit up on game day.

He probably could have taken MAC's roster spot if he had been ready to go at the end of camp.

yeah, I thought this was the rhetoric for him.  Did know about the injury but also saw his body isn’t where it needs to be.  Sucks because he’s a physical freak and could be the AR of tight ends.  Hopefully he gets it together 

On 10/5/2023 at 11:55 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for the 411. 

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Apparently things that have been said on Indy radio, and have worked their way around the Internet. Nothing concrete.

I think both JMV and Kevin Bowen have hinted if not straight up said it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1