Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ex-Colts waived today

John Hammonds

Some would mark today's waivers as a bit of a "tribute" to the mistakes Chris Ballard has made over the years:

DE Terrell Basham (2017 3rd round) waived by Buffalo

DB Nate Hairston (2017 5th round) waived by Arizona

DE Kemoko Turay (2018 2nd round) waived by Atlanta

WR Daurice Fountain (2018 5th round) waived by Chicago

RB Jordan Wilkins (2018 5th round) waived by Detroit (I think)

WR Deon Cain (2018 6th round) waived by Philadelphia

DE Ben Banogu (2019 2nd round) waived by Dallas

T Julien Davenport (2021 free agent) waived by NY Giants

T Dennis Kelly (2022 free agent) waived by Philadelphia

And that's just today's news.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

Some would mark today's waivers as a bit of a "tribute" to the mistakes Chris Ballard has made over the years:

Cain just won a championship game mvp and looked very good in preseason this year. I wouldnt be shocked if tomorrow he finds his way back home.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Patmon was released too.

16 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Pass rushing graveyard.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Anyone drafted 5 years ago who’s still in the league is a success.  And we’re not saying the rest of them won’t get picked up.  

Not sure what the point is?

Yeah, I thought when I responded it was about potentially bringing some of them back.

Guess I should of read better instead of quick player scan.

Banogu lasted way too long on this team. I hope with pass rushers going forward, Ballard is starting to realize what does and doesn’t work. He’s really valued athleticism and a prototypical build that is almost identical in every edge he’s drafted.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Anyone drafted 5 years ago who’s still in the league is a success.  And we’re not saying the rest of them won’t get picked up.  

Not sure what the point is?

People have bad posts, hours, days, weeks, years, lives...  i do recall Ballard effusing over unknown Turay about him being the fastest off the snap at the Senior Bowl. An early eye test Ras? A shame noone has been able to make a football player out of this speed demon. Al Davis kinda move 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

People have bad posts, hours, days, weeks, years, lives...  i do recall Ballard effusing over unknown Turay about him being the fastest off the snap at the Senior Bowl. An early eye test Ras? A shame noone has been able to make a football player out of this speed demon. Al Davis kinda move 

Sure, Turay was a bust for us but he and those others in that list don't prove that Ballard can't draft.   I'd love to see his drafts compared to a few other respected GMs.  And just because a guy doesn't make it with the team that drafts him doesn't mean he's a bust of a player.  He just didn't fit in there for some reason.

His biggest issue has been at the most important position, at least until this year.  Not saying it's all his fault, it was probably Frank that convinced him to bring in Wentz.  And they didn't have the draft capital the next season.

But, in my mind, his main job, as soon as Luck announced his retirement, should have been to find a long term replacement.

I know...hindsight, etc...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

I don't think Terrell Basham was on the Bills.

The Bills traded Carlos Boogie Basham to the Giants.

36 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

I don't think Terrell Basham was on the Bills.

The Bills traded Carlos Boogie Basham to the Giants.

Correct.

That Boogie trade was strange especially since the PUP'd Von Miller. Whatever, good deal for the Giants.

Terrell was released at some point of this off-season though.

I think from the Jets, without looking?

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Just to be fair most teams have very low hit rates on draft picks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

And just because a guy doesn't make it with the team that drafts him doesn't mean he's a bust of a player.  He just didn't fit in there for some reason.

Well said.

11 hours ago, w87r said:

Terrell was released at some point of this off-season though.

The Bengals cut him last Friday.

10 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Just to be fair most teams have very low hit rates on draft picks 

Even those that fans believe are the top GMs have low hit rates. And if a drafted player succeeds with another team, that should be considered a "hit" despite that player not working out for the team that drafted him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Even those that fans believe are the top GMs have low hit rates. And if a drafted player succeeds with another team, that should be considered a "hit" despite that player not working out for the team that drafted him.

Exactly.  I remember listening to a show on the Sirius NFL channel where they evaluated drafts based on draft position, if a player was still in the league, if he got a second contract, and how much was it in comparison with players at his position.  

If he played for the same team that drafted him counted, but not too much.  Guys like Hairston and Wilkins would be considered very successful draft picks.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In reality, is there really a great GM out there? Belichick won 6 SB's because he had Brady, without Brady he looks lost and has built nothing the last 3 years. When we had Polian, we only 1 SB because even he wasn't smart enough to draft DT's or get depth at that position. We lost many playoff games because we couldn't stop the run and just expected Peyton to save us all the time. Everyone loves Lynch but he has never won the SB and that trade they made for Lance giving up those draft picks was head scratching. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In reality, is there really a great GM out there? Belichick won 6 SB's because he had Brady, without Brady he looks lost and has built nothing the last 3 years. When we had Polian, we only 1 SB because even he wasn't smart enough to draft DT's or get depth at that position. We lost many playoff games because we couldn't stop the run and just expected Peyton to save us all the time. Everyone loves Lynch but he has never won the SB and that trade they made for Lance giving up those draft picks was head scratching. 

I was thinking of those that people find to be good GMs like the GM in Seattle. He too has had poor drafts, but people still think he is one of the best. I love Howie Roseman but he drafted Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. I use that just to make the point, as I still think Roseman is a great GM.

GMs will hit on some and not others. We need to look at the totality of the draft and the circumstances. 

Regarding the list of former Colts who were cut, you can turn the narrative around and say that other teams found those players talented enough to have been signed and they went through training camp. They just did not make the cut for whatever reason.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I was thinking of those that people find to be good GMs like the GM in Seattle. He too has had poor drafts, but people still think he is one of the best. I love Howie Roseman but he drafted Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson. I use that just to make the point, as I still think Roseman is a great GM.

GMs will hit on some and not others. We need to look at the totality of the draft and the circumstances. 

Regarding the list of former Colts who were cut, you can turn the narrative around and say that other teams found those players talented enough to have been signed and they went through training camp. They just did not make the cut for whatever reason.

It is hard to label any GM 'great' because they miss a lot but 'good' is appropriate if they have more KEY hits than misses. The Chiefs GM nailed it when he thought Mahomes would be great and traded up to get him. That is a Key hit.

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

When it all boils down. You either have a franchise QB or you have nothing. Without Manning we would have never won a Super Bowl. Without Mahomes, the Chiefs would also have nothing. Before Brady the Patriots were mediocre to good at best. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

When it all boils down. You either have a franchise QB or you have nothing. Without Manning we would have never won a Super Bowl. Without Mahomes, the Chiefs would also have nothing. Before Brady the Patriots were mediocre to good at best. 

Yep, I have been saying this for years. With Brady, Belichick is the GOAT, without Brady he is Frank Reich lmao 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep, I have been saying this for years. With Brady, Belichick is the GOAT, without Brady he is Frank Reich

Ive been wondering about this too, it could be true.  Hes probably a better coach than GM, the roster is nothing special right now and maybe Tom is the reason they were able to bring in and keep a lot of the good players they had

• Like 1

Last 3 seasons:

Belichick without Brady = 25-25, 0-1 in the playoffs

Reich 23-16-1, 0-1 in the playoffs

Last 3 seasons Reich has actually been better than Belichick. Facts. For anyone to say Belichick has been a great coach without Brady is flat out nuts. It is proven he isn't. I will even bet the Pats finish last in their division this year lmao .

• Like 1

Let's bring the talk back to Former Colts players that were waived/released.

Are there any that you would bring back? One of the WRs may be a good one to bring back.

Btw, that list of former Colts is actually not that long. There are only 9 or 10 former Colts there. Multiply 10 by 32 teams (that comes out to 320). There were so many more players cut throughout the league. That means other teams had a lot more former players cut.@John Hammonds

15 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Also:

R. Blankenship

P.J. Walker

D. Patmon

M. Haack

M. Badgley

K. Coutee

P. Dorsett

N. Kalinic

F. Rhyne

L. Clark

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Also:

R. Blankenship

P.J. Walker

D. Patmon

M. Haack

M. Badgley

K. Coutee

P. Dorsett

N. Kalinic

F. Rhyne

L. Clark

Some of those were not acquired by Ballard. Clark and Dorsett were Grigson draftees.

On 8/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, John Hammonds said:

that is a lot of ballard busts!!!!

On 8/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, John Hammonds said:

Ballard really struck out trying to draft those mid-round Defensive Ends back then.

• Like 1

I'm amused at the number of responses I've gotten with this post.  Especially for the misinterpretations for what I said.

To restate/rephrase:  I didn't say "Ballard sucks".  I said "Today's cuts highlighted Ballard's mistakes."

All GM's, even the best ones, make mistakes.  What gets a GM fired is when their mistakes outweigh their successes.

Ryan Grigson had successes.  He drafted Luck and Hilton.  He traded for Vontae Davis.  He was named Executive of the Year.  And then his errors outweighted his successes.  The disasterous Trent Richardson trade.  The 1st round busts year after year after year.  Eventually, it got him fired.

Chris Ballard has had his successes.  His quick turnaround of the team in 2018 earned him Executive of the Year.  He's also had his mistakes.  Most notably the 2019 draft, and the bad FA decisions trying to fix the offensive line in 2021 and 2022.

After the complete debacle of 2022, I expected him to be fired.  His mistakes had begun to outweigh his successes.

The OP highlighted his mistakes.  He still has successes.  Let's hope for his sake he gets some more.

Banogu and Turay stand out.  The rest of those guys were 3rd day picks in the not for long (NFL) league, it's to be expected.  Blaming Ballard or any GM for 5th, 6th and 7th round picks that don't pan out is like blaming a spouse for trying a new crazy recipe and you not liking it.  Get over yourself!

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm amused at the number of responses I've gotten with this post.  Especially for the misinterpretations for what I said.

To restate/rephrase:  I didn't say "Ballard sucks".  I said "Today's cuts highlighted Ballard's mistakes."

All GM's, even the best ones, make mistakes.  What gets a GM fired is when their mistakes outweigh their successes.

Ryan Grigson had successes.  He drafted Luck and Hilton.  He traded for Vontae Davis.  He was named Executive of the Year.  And then his errors outweighted his successes.  The disasterous Trent Richardson trade.  The 1st round busts year after year after year.  Eventually, it got him fired.

Chris Ballard has had his successes.  His quick turnaround of the team in 2018 earned him Executive of the Year.  He's also had his mistakes.  Most notably the 2019 draft, and the bad FA decisions trying to fix the offensive line in 2021 and 2022.

After the complete debacle of 2022, I expected him to be fired.  His mistakes had begun to outweigh his successes.

The OP highlighted his mistakes.  He still has successes.  Let's hope for his sake he gets some more.

Understand.  In my mind his only big (and on going) mistake was not doing everything in his power to find the next franchise QB after Luck retired.  

It kind of doesn’t matter how good you are at bringing in players if you don’t have that player to build your team around.   

I still think he’s a top 10 GM.  Just MHO.  

• Like 1

GM's draft players who they think will help their team - PERIOD!!

It is ultimately THE PLAYERS responsibility to perform.

If he doesn't - he is let go - or - allowed to test the market in free agency.

That is IN NO WAY indicative of the job GM Chris Ballard (or any other GM) does.

IF you feel that you can be a perfect GM - I invite you to apply for the position somewhere in the NFL.

When the world remembers that NO ONE in ANY JOB is perfect - the world will be a better place.