Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts vs Bears postgame thread

GoColts8818

17 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

It's great that he will have a alert, highly mobile QB. :hat:

Certainly hope Raimann plays every snap this season.

I thought he had a lot of good snaps in game one at RT. Were he and Fries locked in mentally, uh no. I'm solidly hopeful for Freeland long term.

I mean I watched Diem 4-5 seasons till he got pretty good. All those false starts!

It’s great that the ENTIRE OL will be playing with a highly mobile quarterback.  That will benefit everyone on the OL.

• Like 1

Just read a Bills beat reporter’s article complaining about the play of their starting OL against Pittsburgh.  They were awful.  Got pushed around and plenty of penalties.  There two best OL Dawkins and Morse their center had a rough night. One of their veteran backup lineman retired earlier in the week and they lost their swing tackle to a season ending injury during the game.  The article paints the picture they are in the market for some help.  Maybe they will make the move for Risner or Norwell or trade for another veteran.  My point being is it’s good we’re 4th on the waiver wire.  OL are going to be a hot commodity.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just read a Bills beat reporter’s article complaining about the play of their starting OL against Pittsburgh.  They were awful.  Got pushed around and plenty of penalties.  There two best OL Dawkins and Morse their center had a rough night. One of their veteran backup lineman retired earlier in the week and they lost their swing tackle to a season ending injury during the game.  The article paints the picture they are in the market for some help.  Maybe they will make the move for Risner or Norwell or trade for another veteran.  My point being is it’s good we’re 4th on the waiver wire.  OL are going to be a hot commodity.

Yeah. The Bills line struggled. Yet I doubt Ballard makes any big signings

I read where Matt Barkley had three interceptions in 12 throws, along with a fumble against the Steelers...

After he looked like a Hall of Famer against the Colts... go figure

Off topic: Kevin Bowen has a new partner.  You can now hear Colts discussion in the morning without 15 minute tales from Jake Query about listening  to Vanilla Ice at his frat party in 1990.

The new guy is fine.  I would just recommend 3 Red Bulls in the morning instead of 4.  Take it down a notch.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Raimann couldn't block my momma at the start of last year.   His grades the first 10 games were atrocious.   He looked beyond terrible.  

But right around week 10/11, the light went on for Raimann and he graded out among the top tackles the rest of the season.  

Freeland has a strength issue.   He’s going to need a year of NFL S/C before he clicks in.   FWIW,  Raimann did the same S/C program this off-season and put on roughly 15 pounds of muscle.  Freeland will do the same. 

Starting when? Next year? I', sure AR will love that THIS year. Maybe you have forgotten a battered & beaten Andrew Luck. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, #12. said:

Off topic: Kevin Bowen has a new partner.  You can now hear Colts discussion in the morning without 15 minute tales from Jake Query about listening  to Vanilla Ice at his frat party in 1990.

The new guy is fine.  I would just recommend 3 Red Bulls in the morning instead of 4.  Take it down a notch.

I am not listening this morning, who is he?

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

“Freeland needs to pack his bags.”

Said after the second pre-season game.   Sigh……

The same comment could’ve been made throughout the majority of the 2022 regular season about Bernhard Raimann.   And looked what he’s turned in to.   One the top young LTs in the NFL.  

Perhaps patience isn’t a strong suit of yours?    

So you are saying he was drafted because he is weal and cannot block. By the way he was mush in the first preseason game as well.

5 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Starting when? Next year? I', sure AR will love that THIS year. Maybe you have forgotten a battered & beaten Andrew Luck. 

As a longtime Luck fan, I haven’t forgotten anything.   But this is our reality.   It’s not ideal, but it is what it is.    

The Colts aren’t giving up on a high 4th round pick with incredible traits.   They knew he had issues, that’s why he was available when the Colts picked him.   With the Colts in a rebuild year,  Freeland can be brought along patiently as the Colts did with Raimann last year.   He was always a long-term play,  so the Colts hope history repeats itself with Freeland. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

So you are saying he was drafted because he is weal and cannot block. By the way he was mush in the first preseason game as well.

He can block but he’s not NFL strong.   Just as Raimann wasn’t last year.   It’ll take a year.   

Freeland was drafted because he’s nearly 6’8”.   He weighs about 305.   His arms are nearly 34 inches, with 10 inch hands.  And he runs well, he’s sub-5.0. 

PLUS….  He has tremendous experience.  41 college starts.   25 at LT, 16 at RT.  

But he’s not a polished player yet.  The Colts hope they can groom him along as  they did last year with Raimann.   Freeland might not be anything more than than a backup swing tackle.   But he might grow into a starter.   Well worth a high 4th round pick.  He’s not getting cut.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

He can block but he’s not NFL strong.   Just as Raimann wasn’t last year.   It’ll take a year.   

Freeland was drafted because he’s nearly 6’8”.   He weighs about 305.   His arms are nearly 34 inches, with 10 inch hands.  And he runs well, he’s sub-5.0. 

PLUS….  He has tremendous experience.  41 college starts.   25 at LT, 16 at RT.  

But he’s not a polished player yet.  The Colts hope they can groom him along as  they did last year with Raimann.   Freeland might not be anything more than than a backup swing tackle.   But he might grow into a starter.   Well worth a high 4th round pick.  He’s not getting cut.  

There's that word again, "hope." Why not add prayer?

7 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Kelly & Ryan did pretty well. But according to you Freeland was drafted despite his inability to play the position. Smart!

First….   Kelly and Ryan are the same player.   Second, Freeland only cost a 4th round pick, not a first or a second or even a third.   It was smart to draft Raimann last year in the 3rd and it was smart drafting Freeland in the 4th this year.   Potentially very high return on a very modest investment.  

Just now, King Colt said:

That same prayer was answered last year with Raimann.   There’s a reasonable expectation it can happen this year with Freeland. 

I’ve given you a mountain of facts.  All you’ve responded with is a mountain of opinion.   Not sure why you won’t accept it?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That same prayer was answered last year with Raimann.   There’s a reasonable expectation it can happen this year with Freeland. 

I’ve given you a mountain of facts.  All you’ve responded with is a mountain of opinion.   Not sure why you won’t accept it?  

How else is player development supposed to work? You draft a player that has the traits you covet, work with them to improve, and develop them over time. Some times it works out well, like with Raimann, and sometimes it doesn't.

What's the expectation? We just draft All-Pros all the time, right out of the gate?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Any news on Rush’s injury yet or was it simply precautionary? 

Was he hurt because he was roasted on a double move or after? J/k :) 

He will learn but not sure the Legion of Boom would have worked if not for the relentless DL pressure and stellar safeties. I remember Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman getting roasted with the speed of TY in our game vs the Seahawks. Having those long armed, long striding CBs is all fine and good on the outside if you are allowed to jam and can jam well but if you are playing off, give me those quick hipped and slightly smaller speedier CBs. Rush is not the kind of CB with short area quickness to mirror and match routes underneath at the NFL level. 

Matchups matter in the NFL - remember Vontae Davis vs Antonio Brown??? Cough Pagano, cough. Bradley's system hopefully evolves to use these guys well according to their strengths.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Raimann couldn't block my momma at the start of last year.   His grades the first 10 games were atrocious.   He looked beyond terrible.  

But right around week 10/11, the light went on for Raimann and he graded out among the top tackles the rest of the season.  

Freeland has a strength issue.   He’s going to need a year of NFL S/C before he clicks in.   FWIW,  Raimann did the same S/C program this off-season and put on roughly 15 pounds of muscle.  Freeland will do the same. 

Yup, I agree with you.

What was the analysis on Freeland coming out of BYU?  That he was highly athletic, but lacked the hand placement and foot quickness for Left Tackle.  He was supposedly position-limited to Right Tackle Only.  No left tackle.  No guard.  And this would push him down the draft board.  Well, it did push him down the draft board.  All the way down to the 4th round.

However, he showed enough in camp to earn the primary Right Tackle backup position, and started against the Bills when Smith was out.  And he played well enough to get promoted as the primary backup at both left and right tackle.  For the Bears game, they decided sit the starters, so Freeland started at left tackle.

Let's be realistic.  Here's a 4th round position-limited Right Tackle Only rookie playing at Left Tackle.

Did anyone seriously believe that he was going to look like Orlando Pace out there?  Of course not.

But, in my opinion, he looked better than Eric Fisher, Matt Pryor, Dennis Kelley, the bunch of them.  He already looked better than what we had, which was rank awful.

Yes, he'll be the primary backup at both tackle positions this year.  And given our thing for injuries, he's probably going to get some starting time.  Of course, he's not going to look like Orlando Pace.  I'm good with how he looks so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, King Colt said:

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Kelly & Ryan did pretty well. But according to you Freeland was drafted despite his inability to play the position. Smart!

Your mind is truly a mystery... You claim to know who is and isnt good or who will be good moing forward, but then you go and mention "Kelly and Ryan". We are all at least 90% sure you are talking about 1 player (Ryan Kelly). But let's ignore the fact that you clearly arent even aware of the players on our roster... you are backing yourself up with the grand sum of 1 player as evidence of who worked out well as a rookie, and that 1 player was also a first round pick, and you are using that as the measuring stick against all rookie offensive lineman, and in this case specifically against a fourth round tackle....

Go back and look at Raimann during his pre-season and first 10 games..... Who was a 3rd round Tackle btw. 

But you know what, you are right..... we obviously shouldnt draft anyone who isnt going to be a HOF level player from day 1. What are Ballard and co. thinking?!

Good grief.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Chucklez said:

Your mind is truly a mystery... You claim to know who is and isnt good or who will be good moing forward, but then you go and mention "Kelly and Ryan". We are all at least 90% sure you are talking about 1 player (Ryan Kelly). But let's ignore the fact that you clearly arent even aware of the players on our roster... you are backing yourself up with the grand sum of 1 player as evidence of who worked out well as a rookie, and that 1 player was also a first round pick, and you are using that as the measuring stick against all rookie offensive lineman, and in this case specifically against a fourth round tackle....

Go back and look at Raimann during his pre-season and first 10 games..... Who was a 3rd round Tackle btw. 

But you know what, you are right..... we obviously shouldnt draft anyone who isnt going to be a HOF level player from day 1. What are Ballard and co. thinking?!

Good grief.

King gonna king.   Been doing it a long time

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Was he hurt because he was roasted on a double move or after? J/k :) 

He will learn but not sure the Legion of Boom would have worked if not for the relentless DL pressure and stellar safeties. I remember Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman getting roasted with the speed of TY in our game vs the Seahawks. Having those long armed, long striding CBs is all fine and good on the outside if you are allowed to jam and can jam well but if you are playing off, give me those quick hipped and slightly smaller speedier CBs. Rush is not the kind of CB with short area quickness to mirror and match routes underneath at the NFL level. 

Matchups matter in the NFL - remember Vontae Davis vs Antonio Brown??? Cough Pagano, cough. Bradley's system hopefully evolves to use these guys well according to their strengths.

Pretty sure he was hurt on the tackle where he landed awkwardly on his hip on the out pattern previous to the TD.

8 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

In this game they had Hambright playing at guard. It should be interesting to see who ends up making the team as backups? Since there is a chance we won't have all the starters healthy to start the season.

That’s why I was so interested.  I haven’t seen any of the other backups who play Guard with any potential at Tackle let alone LT

• Like 1

Ok. I didn't get to see the game "live" because my TV provider is in negotiations with specific Indy stations thar are my local stations in my package, so I was blacked out. I just got to watch the broadcast replay and I have just one question......

Who thought it was a great idea to do interviews during the offense and shrink the screen?:dunno:

21 hours ago, Hawkeyecolt said:

My son’s band opened for LA Guns on Saturday night. I forgot to set the DVR.  The game was on at the club but I couldn’t really focus on it.  How did Hambright look. He by far was the best of the reserves vs Buffalo

Wow. Opened up for LA Guns. That's awesome! One of my favorite bands.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, w87r said:

Thought I saw something that said he didn't call plays, let the OC call them.

Could be mistaken but thought I saw it somewhere.

Here, he definitely called the plays.  At one point, the OC he had didn’t have experience calling plays at a NFL level. Lol

19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well NCF Raimann is encouraging, but it’s your opinion that we’ve got our guy.  That is not clear.

and i share the opinion BtW.  

4 hours ago, Nickster said:

Well NCF Raimann is encouraging, but it’s your opinion that we’ve got our guy.  That is not clear.

and i share the opinion BtW.  

Fine.   But look at the comments I was responding to.   My comment might not 100 percent accurate,  but the poster I was responding to was as far off as can be.   

A little vs. a lot.  

16 hours ago, Nickster said:

Awesome dude. Thats gotta be fun.  What’s junior play?  Or does he sing or both?

He plays rhythm guitar and sings half the songs.  They’re a work in progress but gaining some traction. They’ve opened for LA Guns, Faster *cat, Hinder, Stryper, EnuffZNuff to name a few. I’m trying to get them from local support to tour support. Broke my heart when he didn’t play baseball his senior year since I coached all of his travel teams. Poor kid has me as band manager now.

• Like 1