Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who is starting tomorrow?

hambone35

I know the typical approach is to play no starters, thus avoiding injuries, but……..

1. Our new QB badly needs the real game reps. The idea of making him starter is to get him ramped up as quickly as possible. He has to play a bit. 
2. With Richardson on the field, the O line needs to be good enough to keep him

from getting killed. That means starters out there with him. 

I expect to see the starting offense out there for the first quarter. They need the work. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I know the typical approach is to play no starters, thus avoiding injuries, but……..

1. Our new QB badly needs the real game reps. The idea of making him starter is to get him ramped up as quickly as possible. He has to play a bit. 

I expect to see the starting offense out there for the first quarter. They need the work. 

In my opinion if none of the other starters are going to play doesn’t make sense to play Richardson. Starters will probably  play tomorrow or Thursday but not both.

Qe could also just play offensive starters a series but sit defensive starters since bears are not playing starters.

Someone made a good point on the radio the other day, cant remember who it was, but he said that AR needs to start  today so he can get acclimated to the Lucas Oil environment and the crowd. I’d give him a couple series along with Minshew, and let Sam play the rest!

• Like 2

I think he plays.  The entire narrative since we drafted AR is that he just needs as many reps as possible.  I don't think sitting him as soon as he's announced the starter jives with that very well.  Let him get a few series or a quarter (with the starting OL).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IndyEric07 said:

Someone made a good point on the radio the other day, cant remember who it was, but he said that AR needs to start  today so he can get acclimated to the Lucas Oil environment and the crowd. I’d give him a couple series along with Minshew, and let Sam play the rest!

That was Kent Sterling. And I agree!

2 minutes ago, Moe said:

I know it was a different regime, but didn’t we play Andrew luck a lot in preseason?

I can't say for sure since I don't honestly remember very well these days, but I believe we had him playing... and he was the most pro-ready QB coming out since Elway lol

13 hours ago, Hoose said:

Pew Pew Pew Finger Guns GIF by University of Phoenix

5 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

I think he plays.  The entire narrative since we drafted AR is that he just needs as many reps as possible.  I don't think sitting him as soon as he's announced the starter jives with that very well.  Let him get a few series or a quarter (with the starting OL).

I don't see Richardson agreeing to not getting some snaps. Dude seems like a kid at Christmas to be out there. I agree with the post about get him on the field at home for the experience. Maybe we wear are Indiana Nights uniforms lol.

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

If the starting Oline and pass catchers are not playing it really doesn’t make sense to play Richardson. Eagles have t played their starters in their two games so they might play them Thursday. So maybe the starters don’t play today but will Thursday.

The idea that it's somehow ETCHED IN STONE..... That starters must take one entire preseason game off is laughable.  Whoever said playing two series to a quarter in a preseason game was worth arguing against?  It's as bad as "load management" in basketball.   None of these guys are 12 year vets..... Let them play and further acclimate a few series.  Tonight, AND next week.... Because, show me an actual, tangible negative to doing so.....

15 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

It’s sure starting to look like a trend that starters are going to play less, if even at all in the PS. Those days of getting a game where they’re out there for 3 quarters are over. 

You aren't wrong, but it is getting ridiculous 

The coach and gm of our 4-12 team have been saying, over and over, how Richardson is coming along, but he needs as many reps as possible...

So the plan should be... to sit him out, along with the starters, through the preseason, because that's the status quo?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jackie Daytona said:

The idea that it's somehow ETCHED IN STONE..... That starters must take one entire preseason game off is laughable.  Whoever said playing two series to a quarter in a preseason game was worth arguing against?  It's as bad as "load management" in basketball.   None of these guys are 12 year vets..... Let them play and further acclimate a few series.  Tonight, AND next week.... Because, show me an actual, tangible negative to doing so.....

You aren't wrong, but it is getting ridiculous 

I think the trend is that teams are doing more joint practices with their upcoming game opponent and holding the starters out of the game. I want to say that nearly half the league are holding joint practices now, and we’re doing it with two teams. For whatever reason coaches seem to value that more than game reps.