Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on this season

Curious if anyone agrees  with me here. It’s going to be refreshing and fun watching a QB grow and not have any pressure to make the playoffs this year. There really is no pressure. If they win along the way that will be a bonus. But not having the pressure to win will be very enjoyable this season. Next year though there will be so we should just sit back and enjoy this season and see where it takes them.

• Like 7

I’m just going to look for growth from rookies and young players. Also, I was really disappointed with the Oline last year, so I hope they can get it together this season and at least give our QBs a chance. 

Wins are just a bonus. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Let's be real. This team has almost as much talent as any team. They beat the Chiefs and should have beat the Eagles with a putrid offense and a dysfunctional coaching staff ,and, the last time I checked..the Eagles and Chiefs were in the Super Bowl. And also, last time I checked,the Giants made the playoffs with a new coaching staff and a last place finish the previous year. 

I will be rooting like I do every year and will moan and complain when they lose and sometimes even when they underperform in a win. I'm expecting them to be decent and an exciting team to watch. I think they will make the playoffs.

Don't kid yourselves, you will be thrilled when they win and have that same bad feeling when they lose...just like every other year. To think otherwise is laughable.

• Like 4

I'm not concerned about the wins or losses. I just want the Colts to have fun and play entertaining football. If they can do that, they will learn how to win. If they want to do the same ol' same ol', I've got other things to do like mow the lawn and do laundry.

• Like 4

Fully onboard the AR express. Let's hope this is the beginning of our next golden age.

I get what they tried to do when Luck retired, but it's nice having a fresh young QB who could potentially be our guy for the next 5 years plus.

I'm not saying a decade plus because we've seen how that thought plays out before. I'll take anything more than 1 year at a time at this point... Lol

• Like 1

No pressure at all. Gonna be fun to watch honestly. I am excited to see how AR plays, and I am eager to see if the shame of last season and a different style qb gets this oline playing well again. Plus some young wideouts to watch. 

• Like 4

Only one thing matters this year, just how AR develops. Literally every other thing can go wrong, but as long as AR develops well, it will be a success. You can turn an a roster over in two years, as long as you have your QB, you are good to go.

But yes, I am super excited to get to watch a young, talented, dynamic and exciting QB, instead of the corpse of a formerly great QB (Rivers/Ryan), a hopeless reclamation project (Wentz) or a prayer that a backup can be a starter (Jacoby)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Curious if anyone agrees  with me here. It’s going to be refreshing and fun watching a QB grow and not have any pressure to make the playoffs this year. There really is no pressure. If they win along the way that will be a bonus. But not having the pressure to win will be very enjoyable this season. Next year though there will be so we should just sit back and enjoy this season and see where it takes them.

I think your view is extraordinarily healthy.   Honestly, I think it’s a terrific idea.   Hey, if the team exceeds expectations — great!!!

But the over/under line for wins for the Colts this year is 6.5.   Even 8 wins is likely a losing season.   So, odds are it will be a sub-500 year.   Anything that keeps you sane during a tough year is a smart play.   :thmup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think this is a year where the majority of the fanbase knows there's going to be growing pains for a QB that's a raw player, but has potential to be elite one day. There should be excitement in the air as there's finally hope. We finally have that hope of having a QB that can match the rest of the AFC and NFL. I think we'll lose a bunch of games, but as long as Richardson sees improvement throughout the season, that's what ultimately matters.

I'd rather see us struggle with Richardson if he improves throughout the season and go 6-11, than go 9-8 with Minshew all year if Richardson never figured it out hypothetically. Hopefully it's a fun year, and we can get some exciting play from the Colts that other teams are getting from their QBs every year.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think your view is extraordinarily healthy.   Honestly, I think it’s a terrific idea.   Hey, if the team exceeds expectations — great!!!

But the over/under line for wins for the Colts this year is 6.5.   Even 8 wins is likely a losing season.   So, odds are it will be a sub-500 year.   Anything that keeps you sane during a tough year is a smart play.   :thmup:

Thank God neither the Colts players or management share all of this kumbaya nonsense. This team will surprise and it will be a battle between the Colts and Jags for the division. You will be eating:

black and white raven GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Let's be real. This team has almost as much talent as any team. They beat the Chiefs and should have beat the Eagles with a putrid offense and a dysfunctional coaching staff ,and, the last time I checked..the Eagles and Chiefs were in the Super Bowl. And also, last time I checked,the Giants made the playoffs with a new coaching staff and a last place finish the previous year. 

I will be rooting like I do every year and will moan and complain when they lose and sometimes even when they underperform in a win. I'm expecting them to be decent and an exciting team to watch. I think they will make the playoffs.

Don't kid yourselves, you will be thrilled when they win and have that same bad feeling when they lose...just like every other year. To think otherwise is laughable.

I’ve said it many times - last year a majority of the talking heads picked us to win the division.  They were counting on decent QB play and the Oline not falling apart.

If we remedy those factors this years, it’s possible that they were right, just early.  

But even if we don’t win more games than we lose, if we end the season knowing we have our franchise QB, it’s a successful year IMHO.  

• Like 4

I think it is also important to remember this season is going to be a big evaluation year for every player. Steichen could make a lot of changes after watching this team play. The only position group I feel like will have a solid good year is the dline. I think I feel pretty confident it will be good. WR is wait and see because of the rookie QB. They could be a good group this year. Oline has a chance to be good if they can rebound from last season but it’s a wait and see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I’ve said it many times - last year a majority of the talking heads picked us to win the division.  They were counting on decent QB play and the Oline not falling apart.

If we remedy those factors this years, it’s possible that they were right, just early.  

But even if we don’t win more games than we lose, if we end the season knowing we have our franchise QB, it’s a successful year IMHO.  

We should know if Richardson is going to be the future because he should show enough flashes where we can feel good about that. He won’t be perfect but we will know when we see it.

• Like 1

Just give me a fun, entertaining, tough to the finish line team that shows serious growth through the season and I’ll be happy. I suspect the oddsmakers are right about the Colts having a losing record. But if the Offense under the new staff shows it has talent and imagination; if the D, especially the young backfield, shows by seasons end that it can compete with the best teams….then there is a bright future ahead for us Colts fans. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Thank God neither the Colts players or management share all of this kumbaya nonsense. This team will surprise and it will be a battle between the Colts and Jags for the division. You will be eating:

black and white raven GIF

Once again….  Reading comprehension is not your thing.   

Im not rooting for the team to do bad.  I’ll be glad if the team does well.   I don’t think anyone is rooting for the team to do bad. 

But if the predictions by the odds makers in Vegas and by most every major media outlet are correct, then this will be a long year.   So dealing with it the way Chloe and I are talking about is a good thing.   Perhaps not for you, but for others.  

So you do you, and the rest will take an approach that works best for us.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Just give me a fun, entertaining, tough to the finish line team that shows serious growth through the season and I’ll be happy. I suspect the oddsmakers are right about the Colts having a losing record. But if the Offense under the new staff shows it has talent and imagination; if the D, especially the young backfield, shows by seasons end that it can compete with the best teams….then there is a bright future ahead for us Colts fans. 

Thanks!   Good post!    Well said!    :thmup:

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Once again….  Reading comprehension is not your thing.   

Im not rooting for the team to do bad.  I’ll be glad if the team does well.   I don’t think anyone is rooting for the team to do bad. 

But if the predictions by the odds makers in Vegas and by most every major media outlet are correct, then this will be a long year.   So dealing with it the way Chloe and I are talking about is a good thing.   Perhaps not for you, but for others.  

So you do you, and the rest will take an approach that works best for us.  

Reading comprehension may not be my "thing" but football knowledge definitely isn't your thing. 

29 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Reading comprehension may not be my "thing" but football knowledge definitely isn't your thing. 

So says you.   Imagine my surprise.  

You mistake me for someone who cares about your opinion of me.    Carry on!     :thmup:

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

It's really not worth it to watch the wheels fall off a football team when they have mentally given up. It's even worse when that team has a lot of underdeveloped talent. Maybe that is more a statement about coaching and team culture. Hopefully, now that will change.

• Like 1

There's a natural reset that comes when you draft a QB high in the first round. It should automatically temper everyone's expectations. No more 'final piece to the puzzle' kind of pressure around the team. Everyone knows the primary objective this season is to develop the QB, and then we'll know what kind of trajectory we're looking at.

What I appreciate is that we now have that part of the picture taken care of. Don't know if Richardson is going to be the guy, but at least we know someone on the roster has a chance. And if he works out, we have a realistic time frame in which we can hope to make some noise. But the pressure is off for right now.

• Like 4

Raimann, Pierce, Woods, Downs will be amongst my favorites to watch. Richardson will exceed all expectations. 

I absolutely love the kick butt and comraderie of Grover and Buckner. They are becoming a all-time favorite interior combo for me.

It's gonna be plenty of "come on boys" in the secondary, but I won't measure them young'uns till the season is over.

Steichen is going to sharpen our swords along the path taken in Philly. IMO, Ballard will seem much wiser in a year or two.

I hope you gentlemen and ladies, including myself the best of health 🙏, to be here to enjoy it. 

Ignore the haters and knuckleheads!

• Like 3

On 7/29/2023 at 12:55 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

20-0 anything  less is disappointing 

On 7/29/2023 at 5:12 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think it is also important to remember this season is going to be a big evaluation year for every player. Steichen could make a lot of changes after watching this team play. The only position group I feel like will have a solid good year is the dline. I think I feel pretty confident it will be good. WR is wait and see because of the rookie QB. They could be a good group this year. Oline has a chance to be good if they can rebound from last season but it’s a wait and see.

This here.  I think this is the year the Colts finally look in the mirror and stop kidding themselves with the past roster construction. Since Luck I’ve felt this team was desperately hanging onto te idea we were a couple players away from contending…we were terribly wrong. Everyone will be evaluated and I expect next offseason to be the first true offseason where we establish the path this team needs built around long term. I expect some major moves in roster cuts and trades.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I rooted for the Colts when they won 3 or less games per year.

I will be watching again this year. Lord willing

6 wins this year seems about right with a rookie QB

Hopeful for more

That’s about where I see them too. 3 wins is probably the floor and 7 wins the ceiling. 1-5 in the division would not surprise me at all.  All depends how good our defense is. If they can keep us in games AR has a chance to operate in an offense designed around what he is capable of doing. If we are in constant catch up mode we will see a lot of turnovers. So hard to tell but if I feel the over under is 5 wins but most places have them at 6-7. Honestly though, I really don’t care what record they have this year. 

• Like 2

Well, I can't think of a season under Ballard where I thought that the Colts would win the division or make the playoffs.  I had us pegged as a 7-9 to 9-7 team each year, with more wins or losses any given season the result of luck or circumstances.

So this season isn't much different for me.

Unlike most seasons, I think there is less stress and questioning around whether or not this team is good enough.  It isn't.

So like Chloe said, its a matter of enjoying the team to see how the changes pan-out and which direction it takes.

I expect the Forum will create its annual whipping-boy (can we still say that?) for the season, where every bad thing on offense or defense is the result of one player or coach on that side of the ball.   I wonder who that will be this year?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, I can't think of a season under Ballard where I thought that the Colts would win the division or make the playoffs.  I had us pegged as a 7-9 to 9-7 team each year, with more wins or losses any given season the result of luck or circumstances.

So this season isn't much different for me.

Unlike most seasons, I think there is less stress and questioning around whether or not this team is good enough.  It isn't.

So like Chloe said, its a matter of enjoying the team to see how the changes pan-out and which direction it takes.

I expect the Forum will create its annual whipping-boy (can we still say that?) for the season, where every bad thing on offense or defense is the result of one player or coach on that side of the ball.   I wonder who that will be this year?

Do you think St. Jonathon will be re sanctified if he signs?  He’s the obvious candidate right now on O.

My guess on the D for whipping boy is the CB unit.  I like Steichen, but he’s already deified, so if the D isn’t great I think Bradley will wear the red suit with the horns and triangle tail as far as coaches go.

St. Christopher however seems impervious to criticism.

28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Do you think St. Jonathon will be re sanctified if he signs?  He’s the obvious candidate right now on O.

My guess on the D for whipping boy is the CB unit.  I like Steichen, but he’s already deified, so if the D isn’t great I think Bradley will wear the red suit with the horns and triangle tail as far as coaches go.

Well, you and I know that previous seasons' piling on of one whipping-boy was simply because many folks couldn't tell themselves that Ballard was a problem.  I think that has changed to where Chris has been defrocked a bit.

I think the CBs will be excused because of youth.  I think the Defrocked-One runs the risk of catching blame for the oline.........after "fixing it" 5 years ago of course.

You're right.  JT getting stuffed throughout the season is setting up to where he is the problem, especially if he shows up late and fails to properly immerse himself in Saint Shane's guiding sermons. 

Agreed again on D.  Gus was never really fully embraced, so the bias will blame him.

52 minutes ago, Nickster said:

NVM.

I refuse to be a defeatist this season.  With an average QB, we would have been in the playoff hunt last year, IMHO.  We might just have an average QB in Minshew.  He’s sounded pretty good in practice reports.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the Colts are good this year…

I want return on investment for Sunday Ticket!

60 minute effort every game. Far less, 2nd and third down up the gut, one yard plunges. Play with a lead to win, not to, not lose. Elimination of the Gatorade mixed with Geritol on the sidelines for quarterbacks. The first AR scramble and long run where he splatters a corner or safety like a bug on a windshield. Throw the damn ball! most of the time to our guys. AR/Downs/ Rush/Brents/ Reimann/ Hull growth in the positive direction. Reasonable health of key players. Beating the Pats in Germany, while keeping Kraft out of the brothels. Like Jim Irsay, but if he buys the Hannibal Letchter mask for his collection, keep it handy for him to use occasionally.

On 7/29/2023 at 12:55 PM, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It will be a fun season to access all this youth. I pray the oline finds its pride and hits a rhythm this year. That will be the biggest thing to watch for. Will make it hard to judge the offense if the line plays like last year. Next years draft should be about OL and CBs. Be nice if we don't have to go heavy in the trenches with picks.

• Like 1