Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Simms on 2023 QB rankings

Moosejawcolt

Go to Chris Simms Unbuttoned podcast and listen to his most recent podcast   title 2023 Draft Qb Rankings. Makes a lot of sense and hard to disagree. I like listening to ex NFL qbs assessing other qbs. I do agree on Carolina taking Stroud. I know Frank is not in charge of the draft but I made a point back  of listing everyone qb Frank has worked with. They fit a certain profile and i dont see Carolina taking Young as he is to small and Levi reminds me of Wentz and Richardson is all hype at this time.

38 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Go to Chris Simms Unbuttoned podcast and listen to his most recent podcast   title 2023 Draft Qb Rankings. Makes a lot of sense and hard to disagree. I like listening to ex NFL qbs assessing other qbs. I do agree on Carolina taking Stroud. I know Frank is not in charge of the draft but I made a point back  of listing everyone qb Frank has worked with. They fit a certain profile and i dont see Carolina taking Young as he is to small and Levi reminds me of Wentz and Richardson is all hype at this time.

He also had Hooker as his 3rd best qb. Hmmmmm wonder who  else said they would try and take Hooker with their 2nd pick???? 

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I  was the  1st and it ain't close. I also considered DTR . Look it up lol

I am not sure when you started saying it but I do know I have always been saying it.    I also said I thought Hooker would be ranked as the 3rd QB before the draft.   Got made fun of of course.    And I said he very well may turn out to be the best out of all of them when all is said and done 

But Kudos to you for sticking to it!!

In my "off the wall" mock draft I put on here last Monday, I had the Colts trading down in the 1st round and taking Hooker at 15. Something that I don't think is very probable but you never know. (I would be okay with Hooker if we can't get Stroud because I think Hooker is the 2nd best qb in this draft).

1 hour ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I am not sure when you started saying it but I do know I have always been saying it.    I also said I thought Hooker would be ranked as the 3rd QB before the draft.   Got made fun of of course.    And I said he very well may turn out to be the best out of all of them when all is said and done 

But Kudos to you for sticking to it!!

I also liked DTR. I would rather invest a  2nd in Hooker and DTR then a number 4 in these guys. I am so off on Richardson and Levi. Moved away from both.

1 hour ago, Bert Johns said:

As i have said in the past crap shoot for a qb. Drafting 2 makes all the sense in the world. 

I was on that train for a while but had to get off after I started looking at the rest of the roster.  Not only do we have a high 1st round.   they rest of our draft picks are very high also   So there is a chance to grab some real talent with the 1st 3 picks.   So not sure where you would draft another QB.   I really like the Minshew signing.   He will be a great day 1 starter and backup once the rookie gets his feet under him.   

4 hours ago, J@son said:

Like, a lot of people actually. 

It is more logical in fact without anyone suggesting it that the first 4 QBs will be gone off the board and the next one would be Hooker. So, if you didn't go QB with your early pick, you either got Anderson and traded back into Round 1 for the 5th year option or got a QB with your Round 2 pick. 

I did find this article where it talks about picking a QB late in Round 1, the numbers are drastically not in favor of the team doing so:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2016-nfl-draft-numbers-say-avoid-picking-a-qb-late-in-round-1-0ap3000000654451

To say the least, I was a bit surprised when I read it. It says what @Superman alluded to, if we are foregoing a QB at pick No.4, we might as well wait and set it up for the next draft by moving back and not pulling the trigger this year, just going based on the above article. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Ballard and Dodds and company are brainstorming around the QB position.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To say the least, I was a bit surprised when I read it. It says what @Superman alluded to, if we are foregoing a QB at pick No.4, we might as well wait and set it up for the next draft by moving back and not pulling the trigger this year, just going based on the above article. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Ballard and Dodds and company are brainstorming around the QB position.

Past drafts has shown Ballards crew has been pretty good at not reaching for a player. I don't know if there is a hard time frame so who really knows? 

Instead of dwelling on the past I'm looking forward for the next chapter.  I think Irsay and Ballard made a good choice in hiring Shane. Kinda exciting if you look at it from tired old eyes like mine.  

12 hours ago, Two_pound said:

In my "off the wall" mock draft I put on here last Monday, I had the Colts trading down in the 1st round and taking Hooker at 15. Something that I don't think is very probable but you never know. (I would be okay with Hooker if we can't get Stroud because I think Hooker is the 2nd best qb in this draft).

Bryce is the best tbh , people knocking him down dude to size concerns but he is the best , followed by strouds. Hooker is 3 but I didn’t like the type of offense hooker ran at T-Vol. Richardson is all potential but the risk it no biscuits. Levis is not someone I think we should even entertain 

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Past drafts has shown Ballards crew has been pretty good at not reaching for a player. I don't know if there is a hard time frame so who really knows? 

Instead of dwelling on the past I'm looking forward for the next chapter.  I think Irsay and Ballard made a good choice in hiring Shane. Kinda exciting if you look at it from tired old eyes like mine.  

Not in the early rounds lol we have some 2nd round studs and some wet firecrackers duds to 

9 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is more logical in fact without anyone suggesting it that the first 4 QBs will be gone off the board and the next one would be Hooker. So, if you didn't go QB with your early pick, you either got Anderson and traded back into Round 1 for the 5th year option or got a QB with your Round 2 pick. 

I did find this article where it talks about picking a QB late in Round 1, the numbers are drastically not in favor of the team doing so:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2016-nfl-draft-numbers-say-avoid-picking-a-qb-late-in-round-1-0ap3000000654451

https://atozsports.com/.amp/nashville/hendon-hooker-vols-will-levis-kentucky-draft/

If the best guys are gone It would kill me but I would be willing to drop back and pick up next year first and second to gear up to move up to 24 draft lol 

7 minutes ago, jbaron04 said:

Not in the early rounds lol we have some 2nd round studs and some wet firecrackers duds to 

Ballard has only drafted what? 3 times in the first rd? Hooker,  Nelson and Paye. Traded a 1st rd pick for Buckner. So I think you are a little off in your early round assessment.  

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Ballard has only drafted what? 3 times in the first rd? Hooker,  Nelson and Paye. Traded a 1st rd pick for Buckner. So I think you are a little off in your early round assessment.  

Lol to be fair I did include 2nd round in early rounds 

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

No!  I’m the only one!  Just me…no one else…

Now bow in my presence!

I said it before he was even born. you just copied me.  lol

14 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I  was the  1st and it ain't close. I also considered DTR . Look it up lol

12 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Simms is the same dude that said Zach Wilson was going to be amazing too 

He may be, I still think its way to early to tell.  He's only played one season.

Whoever the Colts draft could look just as bad after 1 season.  You need 2-3 years before you can tell.

NY is not a great organization and them giving up on him after 1 season is bad.

10 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

He may be, I still think its way to early to tell.  He's only played one season.

Whoever the Colts draft could look just as bad after 1 season.  You need 2-3 years before you can tell.

NY is not a great organization and them giving up on him after 1 season is bad.

Pair Zach Wilson with Andy Reid and he would make him productive, at least like Tannehill, IMO. NYG didn't give up on Daniel Jones and he at least gave them a Tannehill like floor.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Kwity, Obedayo incomplete yet promising.

On the edge of wetness, tell us how you feel about the production of 2nd rounders Turay, Lewis, Ya-Sin, Campbell, Banogu?

I'll go first... Short and Long term disasters.

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I said it before he was even born. you just copied me.  lol

Nope!  I went back in time, tried to tell Grigson to build up the O line in 2012, but he ignored me.

So I posted instead.  Proof, I was the first!  

(It's very important that everyone knows I was first)

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Kwity, Obedayo incomplete yet promising.

On the edge of wetness, tell us how you feel about the production of 2nd rounders Turay, Lewis, Ya-Sin, Campbell, Banogu?

I'll go first... Short and Long term disasters.

Some players hit, some miss. If you to choose to look at nothing but negative while overlooking the positive that's your problem, not my bag.

23 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

He also had Hooker as his 3rd best qb. Hmmmmm wonder who  else said they would try and take Hooker with their 2nd pick???? 

Pat Kerwin on NFL radio also mentioned Hooker deserves consideration as the best QB behind Stroud/Young. Said Hooker was blowing teams away in interviews.

On 3/20/2023 at 5:40 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Before his injury he was considered a first overall pick.   No one was sleeping on hooker.  

On 3/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Go to Chris Simms Unbuttoned podcast and listen to his most recent podcast   title 2023 Draft Qb Rankings.

I agree that is preferable to viewing his dweebish persona.  But for the masochists here's the vid:

On 3/20/2023 at 5:40 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

hooker prior to getting injured was very high on a lot of people’s boards.  Me personally, he was who I wanted us to get.  

On 3/21/2023 at 2:31 AM, Moosejawcolt said:

If you are going to profile QBs worked with coaches, Young is not going to anyone's profile. 

That seems like meaningless profiling to do for this draft class, because Young would surely be taken in Round 1, unless they find out a serious concern like medical reasons. 

On 3/22/2023 at 6:44 AM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

If you are going to profile QBs worked with coaches, Young is not going to anyone's profile. 

That seems like meaningless profiling to do for this draft class, because Young would surely be taken in Round 1, unless they find out a serious concern like medical reasons. 

In a perfect world, a serious medical issue comes to light, and the Colts draft him anyway. It's then later revealed his test results got mixed-up with someone else's and he's perfectly healthy.

Archived