Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chicago trade with Carolina

Patrick Miller

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to people going down the rabbit hole of the draft process and Richardson winning the gold medal in the long jump, this seemed to be the general consensus on this forum:

Young was too small for Ballard.

It would be a choice between Stroud and Levis, with the question being, to Ballard, is Stroud a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders better than Levis?

We might have our answer.

Bummer that now we don't have the pick of the litter I get that. But lets be realistic, no QB in this draft class was worth more than where a given team would have drafted them. If Steichen can truly get the best out of anyone....then lets draft anyone and get on with our business, if it doesn't work, chuck the QB or the coach or both and try again....at least (unlike the Panthers) we have the draft capital to do that.......Panthers gave up their WR#1, and their best (2) chances to replace him to draft a QB....that dude will be throwing to nobody for the first two years of his career......Doesnt matter how accurate he is if nobody is open.

16 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

That's the problem MOST are watching the tape featuring his HIGHLIGHTS instead of WATCHING any of his erractic games that included a lot of poor play.

Man, he played for a team that was missing players and didn't have the kind of talent the big SEC teams had. He was getting creamed half the time. New Offensive coordinator, bad OL, semi-receiving talent.  Watch Stroud and Young's pockets. Then go look at the phone-booth pockets Levis was throwing from. He's not perfect, but there are a whole bunch of scouts who say he's pretty good and has a high ceiling...

39 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

First. Go back and CHECK what DIVISION Eason played in ya Looneytoon. Second, there some things off the field that are NECESSARY for a QB to be successful. Eason didn’t have it. He didn’t have the DRIVE and DESIRE.  

So Ballard didn't see this but you did?! Looneytoon? Last I checked that wasn't my name and I'm not a jokester. Keyboard warriors are ALWAYS amusing to me!!!! Easy to sidetrack with names that can go unchecked. Whether we agree or not lose me with that other nonsense.

Just now, Gigc said:

Man, he played for a team that was missing players and didn't have the kind of talent the big SEC teams had. He was creamed half the time. New Offensive coordinator, bad OL, semi-receiving talent.  Watch Stroud and Young's pockets. Then go look at the phone-booth pockets Levis was throwing from. He's not perfect, but there are a whole bunch of scouts who say he's pretty good and has a high ceiling...

Young didn’t always have clean pockets this past season. And when he did it was because defenses were terrified of his escapability and have him the Mahomes treatment. Rush 3 & drop 8. Levis is just a skittish QB. Very Wentz like.  Decent highs & dreadful lows. And rarely shows up in the bigger games. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Young didn’t always have clean pockets this past season. And when he did it was because defenses were terrified of his escapability and have him the Mahomes treatment. Rush 3 & drop 8. Levis is just a skittish QB. Very Wentz like.  Decent highs & dreadful lows. And rarely shows up in the bigger games. 

Alabama had the 3rd lowest % of pressures charged to OL in the P5

Young had the highest % of pressures charged to a QB in the P5

This reminds me of the year the colts drafted James. Just about everyone was hoping Ricky Williams would fall to the Colts... He actually did but Polian stunned most here and drafted Edge instead to the dismay of most colt fans. 

Well it looks like most here currently want Young or Stroud  the most and want Levis the least. 

It certainly looks like Levis has a realistic chance of happening for the colts and  it may not turn out so bad after all like getting Edge instead of Ricky. 

We'll shall see. :thinking:

58 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Easy, big fellah.  It’ll be ok.

The whole "tanking for Caleb Williams or Derek Maye" is like using your mortgage payment to buy lottery tickets. BAD planning.

Did we SUCK this year? Yes. Historically in many instances. And we STILL won four games--- came close to winning more --- and ended up with the FOURTH pick in the first round. That doesn't cut it. And if Williams and Maye are as great as everyone thinks, NO team with the chance of drafting them will trade those picks. 

Soooo, to tank to get those we can't win more than 1 or 2 games next year. We're NOT that bad...

What happened to all the false narratives repeated here for a million times here? 

"Bears wouldn't want to move down TOO FAR" 

"Bears don't want to miss out on Anderson or Carter" 

"Bears would definitely want a BLUE CHIP guy who is only available in top 5 of the draft" 

"It would cost too much to trade from #4 to #1" (it seems like cost for moving up from #9 to #1 wasn't that different, compared to what was iterated here for Colts to move up) 

Those false narratives have been repeated so many times based on guys talking in PODCASTS, that shaped up the discussions here, without giving a chance to be more open minded about other teams. 

Just now, VikingsFanInChennai said:

What happened to all the false narratives repeated here for a million times here? 

"Bears would definitely want a BLUE CHIP guy who is only available in top 5 of the draft" 

"It would cost too much to trade from #4 to #1" (it seems like cost for moving up from #9 to #1 wasn't that different, compared to what was iterated here for Colts to move up) 

Those false narratives have been repeated so many times based on guys talking in PODCASTS, that shaped up the discussions here, without giving a chance to be more open minded about other teams. 

well, PART of that blew up when Jalen Carter showed he's a knucklehead and made the big 2 blue chip defenders into a big 1...

21 minutes ago, BeanDiasucci said:

I've been thinking similar things but this is an interesting take on Levis from Colin Cowherd .

"So, brain power. His mom went to Yale, his grandfather to Cornell. Highly-educated northeast kid. Brain power, A+. Four-point finance major. Cognitively, kid's as smart as anybody in this draft. Any player. Arm strength? It's all over the internet. The kid has a hose. He's got a rocket arm. Brain power and arm strength, doesn't mean everything, but they matter."

Cowherd also says Levis has a chip on his shoulder and the drive to prove doubters wrong.

"There's also a third component. He's been doubted," Cowherd said. "He had to transfer from Penn State. Players that are doubted get a chip on their shoulder. Those three components: big brain, big arm and he's been doubted so he's not cocky, he had nothing handed to him."

Despite being saddled with a litany of injuries and limited by poor offensive line play this season, Levis completed 65.4 percent of his passes for 2,406 yards and 19 touchdowns vs. 10 interceptions, a clear step back from a 2021 season that saw him complete 66 percent of his passes for 2,826 yards and 24 scores while also rushing for 376 net yards and nine touchdowns.

But Cowherd thinks the fact that Levis wasn't throwing from a clean pocket to wide open receivers like Alabama's Bryce Young or Ohio State's C.J. Stroud will better prepare him for life in the NFL, especially if he were not to be selected by one of the league's top organizations.

"Will Levis did not have a single first or second team all-conference player on offense," Cowherd said. "Translation: the receivers aren't as open. You're under duress. You're getting the crap kicked out of you. Translation: a real NFL experience."

The only quarterback in school history to defeat rivals Louisville and Florida twice, Levis went 17-7 as a starter over two seasons and ranks fourth all-time in touchdowns responsible for (54), fifth all-time in passing touchdowns (43), fifth in total offense (5,501 yards), and sixth in passing yards (5,232). 

Cowherd then compared Levis to two other quarterbacks who played college football in the south at non-traditional powers and like Levis, did not have top talent at every offensive position.

The two quarterbacks are Eli Manning at Ole Miss and Philip Rivers at NC State," Cowherd said. "Completion percentage, Will Levis is the highest of the three. Winning percentage, Will Levis the highest of the three. Touchdown to interception ratio, Will Levis in line with Eli Manning. Brain power, arm, doubted, playing at a basketball school in the talent-rich south."

https://247sports.com/college/kentucky/Article/will-levis-kentucky-football-colin-cowherd-fox-sports-nfl-draft-2023--205670046/

That's great. If he's so pro ready, what's his record vs the SEC? How many 4000 yard seasons does he have? How many seasons does he have throwing more then 20 tds?

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Curious why so many on this thread have Levis as the 3rd QB.  I’d order the QBs as 1) Stroud, 2) Young, 3) Richardson, and a distant 4) Levis.

Some feel that someone will now trade with the Cardinals at 3 leaving Will Levis as the guy at 4. Your order is my order also with the exception of Levis. I would take a flyer on Hooker instead but not at 4.

2 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

So Ballard didn't see this but you did?! Looneytoon? Last I checked that wasn't my name and I'm not a jokester. Keyboard warriors are ALWAYS amusing to me!!!! Easy to sidetrack with names that can go unchecked. Whether we agree or not lose me with that other nonsense.

Oh whatever. All you ever do is come on here and spout negative nonsense just to attract attention. I should’ve known better than to waste my time with a troll. 

I don’t even know what point you’re making. I don’t think I have ever said I’m better than Ballard at evaluation, but for some reason you think Eason, a 4th round pick, is the same as Levis who is projected to be in the 1st round? What exactly did Ballard miss? 

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

This reminds me of the year the colts drafted James. Just about everyone was hoping Ricky Williams would fall to the Colts... He actually did but Polian stunned most here and drafted Edge instead to the dismay of most colt fans. 

Well it looks like most here currently want Young or Stroud  the most and want Levis the least. 

It certainly looks like Levis has a realistic chance of happening for the colts and  it may not turn out so bad after all like getting Edge instead of Ricky. 

We'll shall see. :thinking:

Edge balled out his last season.  All the way up through the bowl game.  Levis fell flat and tapped out before the season ended. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

Oh whatever. All you ever do is come on here and spout negative nonsense just to attract attention. I should’ve known better than to waste my time with a troll. 

I don’t even know what point you’re making. I don’t think I have ever said I’m better than Ballard at evaluation, but for some reason you think Eason, a 4th round pick, is the same as Levis who is projected to be in the 1st round? What exactly did Ballard miss? 

I stand on what I said!

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's great. If he's so pro ready, what's his record vs the SEC? How many 4000 yard seasons does he have? How many seasons does he have throwing more then 20 tds?

If the box score was the only thing scouts and GMs needed to check for success in a player, there'd be a lot of people looking for a job.

Irrelevant argument

I actually think this is a blessing in disguise.

Hopefully the Colts will NOT take Richardson or Levis if that is who's available at 4. trade back and stockpile 2024 picks and grab a WR in mid-teens.

Zero of these 4 QB's were/are line movers imho. 

Don't overdraft out of desperation. 

2024 Maye or bust!!

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO happy we didn't make that kind of trade! That is a lot of capitol for a QB that has obvious warts - because all of them do this year! Not that they can't be groomed into franchise QB's but that takes the pressure off of nailing the number one pick.........now this will force Steichen and the FO staff to tailor an offense for all of Young, Stroud, Levis, Richardson and Hooker.............then draft the one that is available at 4 that they want or top of the 2nd in Hooker if they want him instead!

Touché. Totally fine sitting at 4. Heck maybe even sign Jimmy G and trade back a few spots and maybe get Richardson. Who knows really. If fine with whatever happens I’ll still support my team.

12 minutes ago, tvturner said:

If the box score was the only thing scouts and GMs needed to check for success in a player, there'd be a lot of people looking for a job.

Irrelevant argument

Irrelevant? Ok. Thank you for just ignoring all his short comings because you wanna just blame injuries.

Just now, CR91 said:

Irrelevant? Ok. Thank you for just ignoring all his short comings because you wanna just blame injuries.

This is real funny considering I have an entire writeup posted on the top 4 of the class with my personal pros and cons listed for each of them.

17 minutes ago, Gigc said:

well, PART of that blew up when Jalen Carter showed he's a knucklehead and made the big 2 blue chip defenders into a big 1...

we can't say that as a true reason.. 

Carter could still go top 5..

This is again the same narrative, that Bears now move down because Carter made a mess of it. 

In reality, it looks like Bears were open minded and not had restrictions like "Carter", "Anderson", "too far down"..

Bears were also vilified as someone looking for hefty compensation. They were not asking too much from Carolina either, it's a very fair trade, after all. 

3 minutes ago, tvturner said:

This is real funny considering I have an entire writeup posted on the top 4 of the class with my personal pros and cons listed for each of them.

And let he guess, you used "pro ready" "injuries" "cannon arm" as your main focal points

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And let he guess, you used "pro ready" "injuries" "cannon arm" as your main focal points

All 3 of those are correct statements when it comes to Levis? It's not a lie that he's been hurt, played in pro offenses and has one of the best arms to come out in a while...

Your negatives to Levis are he's "cocky" and his box score is bad

Watch some film for once.

1 minute ago, tvturner said:

All 3 of those are correct statements when it comes to Levis? It's not a lie that he's been hurt, played in pro offenses and has the best arm in a while...

Your negatives to Levis are he's "cocky" and his box score is bad

Watch some film for once.

Richardson arn is better than levis

29 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

To be honest the bears need offense more than defense so im not surprised by the move. They probably go offense again at 9

Archived