Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

34 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I always find it funny how every single team in the NFL has the ability to trade picks and spend money for FA/draft, but Indy can “never afford it.”

Indy isn’t the only small market team that can’t afford pricey free agents.   Plenty of other small market teams deal with the same issue.   

As for not being willing to pay the cost of draft picks in a trade….  That’s mostly a Ballard thing, and he’s got a Mount Everest size pile of data to support his views. 

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still concerned about what Levis has between his ears. If we don't get Lamar I want Young.

Levis graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. degree in finance program and then went on to get a Masters in Finance, so it's obvious he's not dumb. "Football smarts" is another thing, I guess. But I would have to think being generally intelligent would carry over to the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why do people on this board and the media think that Lamar Jackson is actually a good QB?....like they did Watson?  And they do AR?

Lamar is who he is simply because Ozzie and Harbaugh made him.  Without Harbaugh to coach him and Ozzie to put the pieces around, him he is just a small-ish runner who is a below average QB.   People are assuming that he can leave BAL and be a good QB, just like they thought that DW could do anything without Bill O' Brien coaching him.   

The whiffing on these guys by the football world is hilarious to watch.

You're clearly not a fan of Jackson based on your previous takes. I'm there with you, however I think in this circumstance it might be best for the Colts to make this happen. Steichen and his scheme might actually benefit Jackson. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

At these meetings I can see Irsay going to the Ravens owner saying we want to trade for Lamar.  Neither one of us or the league is interested in handing out another fully guaranteed contract.  But we will if we have to.  How about we work out a trade and we won’t do it.  We talked to Lamar and we are confident we can sign him without a fully guaranteed contract.  But we will do it if we have to.  So how about we get our GM together and work this out.  What do you say?  

If Irsay can pull it off, all power to him, IMO. Lamar with the Colts will take us back to the Luck and Peyton days in the division, IMO.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Indy isn’t the only small market team that can’t afford pricey free agents.   Plenty of other small market teams deal with the same issue.   

As for not being willing to pay the cost of draft picks in a trade….  That’s mostly a Ballard thing, and he’s got a Mount Everest size pile of data to support his views. 

I think all of us might be shocked here. I think it's going to get done. Jackson to the Colts. 

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think Holder is leaping to conclusions.  

Just because Steichen or Ballard or Irsay won’t confirm either way does NOT automatically mean that the Colts haven’t ruled it in or out.   It only means they’re not ready to go public with their decision if they’ve even made one.  

Why would the Colts tip their hand that they might be interested in making a move for Lamar and let teams know their intention when the draft is a month away? 

I think Holder’s thinking is badly flawed on this.

16 minutes ago, Indeee said:

You're clearly not a fan of Jackson based on your previous takes. I'm there with you, however I think in this circumstance it might be best for the Colts to make this happen. Steichen and his scheme might actually benefit Jackson. 

There are QBs who are products of the system and those who transcend systems.  Very few QBs can take their talents and hit the road with another team and have the same success.  For the Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady's of the world, there are the Matt Cassells etc. 

We don't even know if Russell Wilson can be a good QB without Pete Carroll.  Did Favre elevate the Jets?  Maybe Rodgers will have some ability to do that....probably not.

And people all over football are thinking that these guys can just go from team to team and the same things will happen with their new team as with their old...just plug 'em in and the same things happen, just wearing different colors. 

It rarely works that way.

As far as Steichen, I'm reading little things on here like the guy is some sort of QB guru...you know...like Frank.  He hasn't even coached his first professional game yet, and was an OC for just a short time.  We'll see what happens.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

There are QBs who are products of the system and those who transcend systems.  Very few QBs can take their talents and hit the road with another team and have the same success.  For the Peyton Mannings and Tom Brady's of the world, there are the Matt Cassells etc. 

We don't even know if Russell Wilson can be a good QB without Pete Carroll.  Did Favre elevate the Jets?  Maybe Rodgers will have some ability to do that....probably not.

And people all over football are thinking that these guys can just go from team to team and the same things will happen with their new team as with their old...just plug 'em in and the same team happens, just wearing different colors. 

It rarely works that way.

As far as Steichen, I'm reading little things on here like the guy is some sort of QB guru...you know...like Frank.  He hasn't even coached his first professional game yet, and was an OC for just a short time.

I'm not so sure the bolded just wasn't conjecture without results as Frank was a QB once. Steichen actually has had proven factual success with Rivers, Herbert, and Hurts. Frank had not. The one year with Wentz seemed to be a fluke

25 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s also got a sub .500 record to support my views. 

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I'm not so sure the bolded just wasn't conjecture without results as Frank was a QB once. Steichen actually has had proven factual success with Rivers, Herbert, and Hurts. Frank had not. The one year with Wentz seemed to be a fluke

Rivers has had success with everybody, so that one doesn't count.

Steichen has had success with a young Herbert and Hurts, for one year each,  like Frank had with a young Wentz for one year...so we'll see where this goes.

Oh, BTW, put Hurts in that bucket of overrated QBs like DW, Lamar, Wilson, and AR who probably benefit from the systems/rosters more than they add to it.

5 minutes ago, Patrick Miller said:

I think it’s interesting that the Colts aren’t just completely shutting down the possibility/rumors of trading for Jackson. 

Why should they.  It keeps the name in the news, and there are no consequences to people believing they want Lamar.  Let them believe, then when it comes draft day, say nah...and draft the QB you were planning on drafting since about October when you decided to bench Ryan

12 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I think all of us might be shocked here. I think it's going to get done. Jackson to the Colts. 

Really it makes perfect sense.  Last year Irsay and the Colts went after an older Ryan and reworked his contract and gave him a lot of guaranteed money.  That swing at an older quarterback didn’t work.  Lamar is more than a decade younger than Ryan and already has an MVP and is a star in the league.  I mean how can Irsay not go after Lamar?  Do you want excitement and a full stadium and a playoff spot or not.  Jim’s not getting any younger.  I’m really starting to think this is going to get done as well.

Make the trade. He is a proven NFL mvp level quarterback. Steichen can build an offense where he doesn't run as much. Statistically speaking based on history 1 of the 4 or 5 qbs in the draft will be good, and we are looking at getting the 3rd or 4th guy off the board. None of these guys are overwhelmingly talented. Sucks next year the prospects are much better.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Really it makes perfect sense.  Last year Irsay and the Colts went after an older Ryan and reworked his contract and gave him a lot of guaranteed money.  That swing at an older quarterback didn’t work.  Lamar is more than a decade younger than Ryan and already has an MVP and is a star in the league.  I mean how can Irsay not go after Lamar?  Do you want excitement and a full stadium and a playoff spot or not.  Jim’s not getting any younger.  I’m really starting to think this is going to get done as well.

Lamar hasnt had many 300 yard passing games in his career and his playoff record leaves alot to be desired. Ravens didnt do him no favors wr wise and our current wrs would be the best he has had. Plus he could turn our tes into super stars. Also he shouldnt have to run as often with better wrswhich should keep him healthy, but how coach we fit that huge contract without gutting the team

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Why should they.  It keeps the name in the news, and there are no consequences to people believing they want Lamar.  Let them believe, then when it comes draft day, say nah...and draft the QB you were planning on drafting since about October when you decided to bench Ryan

Yep. Make them believe your not taking  a QB so they don’t trade to 3. 

Just now, CR91 said:

Why is Vegas giving us the best odds? The Texans could offer the Ravens a lot more then us, the lions and commanders have much better rosters. Just seems weird to me

Probably because we  traded for so many vets in the past

2 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Lamar hasnt had many 300 yard passing games in his career and his playoff record leaves alot to be desired. Ravens didnt do him no favors wr wise and our current wrs would be the best he has had. Plus he could turn our tes into super stars. Also he shouldnt have to run as often with better wrswhich should keep him healthy, but how coach we fit that huge contract without gutting the team

Restructure deals like every other team does. 

52 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Hey @NewColtsFan why you don't sit back and think about things before you just throw up your stupid little confusion emojis

Really?   You think I don’t think about things?    Congratulations.   You might be the first poster to make that claim against me in nearly 11 years here.   

And to use your words…..   you might want to think about things before you simply write a small paragraph about how easy it would be to fix the Colts quarterback situation.   This is the National Football League.    Rarely is anything easy.   That’s a fans point of view.  

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Can he can make them catch better?  Nobody ever accused Ryan and Sam of throwing them too many fast balls.

Our tes didnt get enough targets particularly woods. Woods could catch 10 plus tds a year with manning luck lamar throwing him the ball. It made zero sense to get near the redzone and not use woods

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?   You think I don’t think about things?    Congratulations.   You might be the first poster to make that claim against me in nearly 11 years here.   

And to use your words…..   you might want to think about things before you simply write a small paragraph about how easy it would be to fix the Colts quarterback situation.   This is the National Football League.    Rarely is anything easy.   That’s a fans point of view.  

I kinda enjoy the confusion emoji haha

Just now, Stephen said:

Our tes didnt get enough targets particularly woods. Woods could catch 10 plus tds a year with manning luck lamar throwing him the ball. It made zero sense to get near the redzone and not use woods

Based upon Lamar's history, he might make Woods a pro bowler because he would never throw to the wideouts, which requires a much more lively NFL arm than what Lamar has.  He's an over the middle QB because those throws take less zip...which is why Ravens never bothered to invest heavily in WRs.

Lamar threw 49 mph at the combine...the worst of any QB in the past 15 years.

Lamar is a runner, and because of that he can have some success as a passer, but its mostly the stuff his arm talent will let him throw,  Sure, he can chuck it deep to a fast guy when he can run and escape the way he does, but making any predictions about what kind of success he would have as a passer on another team is just pure speculation, IMO.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Based upon Lamar's history, he might make Woods a pro bowler because he would never throw to the wideouts, which requires a much more lively NFL arm than what Lamar has.  He's an over the middle QB because those throws take less zip...which is why Ravens never bothered to invest heavily in WRs.

Lamar threw 49 mph at the combine...the worst of any QB in the past 15 years.

Lamar is a runner, and because of that he can have some success as a passer, but its mostly the stuff his arm talent will let him throw,  Sure, he can chuck it deep to a fast guy when he can run and escape the way he does, but making any predictions about what kind of success he would have as a passer on another team is just pure speculation, IMO.

Is that accurate?     Wow. if so.  

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And running QBs just don't last in the NFL.  Plus, they don't usually get faster (or less injured) as they get older.

I hope Irsay isn't seriously thinking about sacrificing the future for him.

Archived