Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Irsay said the money would not be a problem. I do agree with you though, I don't like giving up 2 first round picks either.

I think because it is a non-exclusive tag, the 2 first rounders are just the starting offer.

I recall in the past other non-exclusive tags being traded for something like 2 2nds or 2 3rds.

Exclusive tag requires 2 1sts.  Non exclusive becomes the best offer.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All morning long on Get Up, the panel was saying the Colts are very interested, Ballard likes the idea of getting Lamar, and the Colts would be the best fit. That was Mike Greenburg, Teddy Bruschi, etc.. Yesterday it was Jeff Darlington and Adam Schefter saying the same thing. I don't even need Twitter from people that tweet that have no clue making up stuff. I watch ESPN live from credible sources.

The media has a weird obsession with Lamar too colts. Sounds like he is using them as his agent. 

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't get the Lamar hate in here from a few. Some in here are just trying to find reasons to why we shouldn't trade for him. Makes no sense to me.

No. its not "finding a reason" to justify hate (which would be based on something else other than the current issue. right?)

Its a linear thought process that results in trading for him under current "market" conditions to be concluded a dumb move. 

And then you've got guys like Richard Sherman chirping in trying to use Lamar's situation as some sort of message/agenda.  Which clouds and confuses what the value of the football version of a basketball Ball-Hog truly is, because it starts to cater to things outside of football.

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm positive the money isn't the issue.   I think he is worth the money.   It's the picks on top that is the concern 

I get that.  It's not a small price.  However, the hope would be that we would be in the playoffs immediately and those picks would be towards the end of the first round each year.  A lot of speculation there but that could make it a bit more palatable.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All morning long on Get Up, the panel was saying the Colts are very interested, Ballard likes the idea of getting Lamar, and the Colts would be the best fit. That was Mike Greenburg, Teddy Bruschi, etc.. Yesterday it was Jeff Darlington and Adam Schefter saying the same thing. I don't even need Twitter from people that tweet that have no clue making up stuff. I watch ESPN live from credible sources.

There is no doubt we are very interested.  Ballard said they are currently doing the work on the possibility.  He was upfront on that.  So until he closes the door it’s open.  The good news is money is not the issue.  That’s usually the problem.  Everything else can be worked out.  For the Ravens money is the problem.  If it wasn’t they would have used the non exclusive tag and guaranteed him 42m and kept negotiating.  They didn’t even want to do that.  Now they have ruined a good relationship and he felt he had to ask for a trade.  Hopefully we are the beneficiary of the mess they created for themselves.

Some folks like to watch the superstars, and maybe think they are the keys to winning ball games. 

For all of the superstars in basketball, another word for them is the junior high player..Ball-Hog.  The team relies on them for every great play.  I guess some just like having that guy on their sports teams.

DW is  the football version of a ball hog.  So is Lamar.  So is Josh Allen.  There are many BUF fans who do not like Allen because of it...he has to do everything.  Every great pass play starts with him..and every great running play has him carrying the ball.  

Sure, I guess they are worth the money when you look at what they contribute to the team, but therein lies the problem, IMO.

34 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Some folks like to watch the superstars, and maybe think they are the ways you win ball games. 

For all of the superstars in basketball, another word for them is the junior high player..Ball-Hog.  The team relies on them for every great play.  I guess some just like that guy on their sports teams.

DW is  the football version of a ball hog.  So is Lamar.  So is Josh Allen.  There are many BUF fans who do not like Allen because of it...he has to do everything.  Every great pass play starts with him..and every great running play has him carrying the ball.  

Sure, I guess they are worth the money when you look at what they contribute to the team, but therein lies the problem, IMO.

"many BUF fans who do not like Allen because of it" There are some dumb Buffalo fans then. That is so asinine that they can't like a QB who is a top 5 QB in the league. They were irrelevant for 20 years before they drafted him. QB is the most important position in football, without a good one you aren't winning crap. You want a QB that can make plays, good plays that help you win. Lamar Jackson at QB is 45-16 as a starter, has had seasons of 10-6, 14-2, and 11-5. He has won an MVP and by the way he has 101 TD's to only 38 INT's in his career. He also has had 2 seasons = 2019 and 2020 where he has had over 1000 yards rushing. He does have a playoff win as well, it took Peyton 6 years before he won a playoff game. Lamar is great, my facts and stats back that up. Without Lamar when he has been injured, Baltimore is below .500. If Lamar was just another JAG as you and some suggest, why hasn't Baltimore won with other QB's then in the Lamar era?

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"many BUF fans who do not like Allen because of it" There are some dumb Buffalo fans then. That is so asinine that they can't like a QB who is a top 5 QB in the league. They were irrelevant for 20 years before they drafted him. QB is the most important position in football, without a good one you aren't winning crap. You want a QB that can make plays, good plays that help you win. Lamar Jackson at QB is 45-16 as a starter, has had seasons of 10-6, 14-2, and 11-5. He has won an MVP and by the way he has 101 TD's to only 38 INT's in his career. He also has had 2 seasons = 2019 and 2020 where he has had over 1000 yards rushing. He does have a playoff win as well, it took Peyton 6 years before he won a playoff game. Lamar is great, my facts and stats back that up. Without Lamar when he has been injured, Baltimore is below .500. If Lamar was just another JAG as you and some suggest, why hasn't Baltimore won other QB's then in the Lamar era?

I think they love him for being a Top 5 QB.  Its the fact that he is also has to make the running plays.  He's the football version of a basketball Ball Hog.  Some folks just love those guys in sports.   I think they are kind of annoying.

Mahomes is a ball hog too.  He doesn't really run the ball though.  KCs running game is what you should call "breather" plays for Mahomes.   Hand the ball off, let Pat rest, and hope the play gains a few yards so Pat has an easier play to make..when we do what we really want to do...put the ball back in Pat's hands so he makes a play for us.   An offensive genius, that Eric Bienemy.  LOL

Looks like the NFL is headed that way.  It might last.  It might not. 

The NFL might have to change the rules so those ball-hogs never are allowed to get tackled/hurt (a foul if you touch them?) and blow up the entire season.  LOL.

Ravens and Lamar will settle on a $200 million guaranteed contract and all will be back to normal by draft day. :) 

When Kirk Cousins got his all guaranteed contract, it was for just 3 years. Browns are the guys who messed it up for the NFL, IMO. Richard Sherman now blames Mahomes and Josh Allen for not getting guaranteed contracts to help out Lamar, lol.

4 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

Agent convey all that is said in negotiations.  He hears the same info he would hear if he had an agent.

Not to the degree of hearing from the Ravens. Business negotiations get very dirty and personal at times. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Not to the degree of hearing from the Ravens. Business negotiations get very dirty and personal at times. 

I said this to someone else.  An agent may sugar coat some of the info but they have an obligation to divulge everything.  

He should have an agent though.  Even if he gets one that is a flat fee.  It is hard to separate emotions from negotiations and an agent does that by profession. 

I think you and i are on the same page here.

14 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I said this to someone else.  An agent may sugar coat some of the info but they have an obligation to divulge everything.  

He should have an agent though.  Even if he gets one that is a flat fee.  It is hard to separate emotions from negotiations and an agent does that by profession. 

I think you and i are on the same page here.

I do. What Lamar and others who act as their agent don't get is the NFL is a business and they have professionals who have done contracts for years. It's not as simple as coming up with a number. There's a lot of language and a lot of justification that you're not going to want to hear.

5 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I think because it is a non-exclusive tag, the 2 first rounders are just the starting offer.

I recall in the past other non-exclusive tags being traded for something like 2 2nds or 2 3rds.

Exclusive tag requires 2 1sts.  Non exclusive becomes the best offer.

But I don't think Baltimore really wants to get rid of Jackson so all they have to do is reject anything less than 2 1sts.  And he stays with the team.   They can either match the offer in which Jackson stays or they can accept the 2 1sts   Correct me if I am wrong.   

3 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

But I don't think Baltimore really wants to get rid of Jackson so all they have to do is reject anything less than 2 1sts.  And he stays with the team.   They can either match the offer in which Jackson stays or they can accept the 2 1sts   Correct me if I am wrong.   

This sounds correct.

The problem is Lamar has no agent so he doesn't get good advice.

His best bet is to threaten to sit out the season really putting the pressure on the ravens.

He already said he will play on the tag this season, losing all leverage.  Now the ravens are in no rush to move him.

2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

So Jackson is as good as Manning so he’s worth the money. Now I get it. 

You are moving the goal posts.  Your first point was that he wasn’t worth the money because he hasn’t won a Super Bowl.  If you don’t think he’s good enough to be worth the money just say that.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You are moving the goal posts.  Your first point was that he wasn’t worth the money because he hasn’t won a Super Bowl.

Yep. QB contract prices are ridiculous enough that none of us fans are able to relate to it or justify it to pay any QB, it seems like. It is a new reality.

19 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

He also talked about the amount of draft picks having to give up. Seems pretty clear.

According to the trade chart.  The Panthers gave up more than that.   So I guess we were never going to trade up to one.   I understand there is a contract to be paid also. But it is for a proven top NFL QB

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You are moving the goal posts.  Your first point was that he wasn’t worth the money because he hasn’t won a Super Bowl.  If you don’t think he’s good enough to be worth the money just say that.  

Of course he’s not worth the money. Baltimore doesn’t think so either.  The other poster compared him with Manning. I wasn’t the one moving the goal post. 

Archived