Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

There is nothing to suggest he’s moved on his position though.  In fact the fact he asked for a trade suggests he hasn’t.  Also, you are ignoring that even if they can make the numbers work Irsay still isn’t willing to pay the draft capital it would take to make the deal happen.

You don’t know if Irsay would pay the draft capital or not.  You’re reading way to much on his comments.  We have no idea on how far he would be willing to go.  No idea at all.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

"Irsay doesn't seem interested in giving up the draft picks". He actually said he wouldn't like it but both Ballard and Irsay are very interested in trying to acquire Lamar. I have heard that all week on Kevin and Query. Who knows what it would take?

If he said he wouldn’t like it that means he’s not interested in it and that’s pure speculation on the medias part that they are very interested in trying to acquire him.  Ballard pretty much gave a GM speak answer of we will do our homework on it when asked about it and everything Irsay has said since lines up more and more with yeah he’s a great talent but not worth the price it would take.  

16 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

And to play devils advocate to my own argument- I think Lamar would be a tremendous fit in Indy, would open things up massively for JT, and would benefit from a nice stable of pass catching talent.  He has the escapability while our O-line learns to play again, and a play caller that certainly can utilize him as well as Baltimore did. 

But this is a business people.  If Ballard thinks he can get 80% of the running upside and 70% of the passing production that Lamar offers from AR15 at a literal fraction of the cost-and no draft picks- why wouldn't he chose that option?  It makes his leash longer with Irsay too- give the rookie time to develop.  If Lamar fails, blows out his knee, becomes the Albert Haynesworth of QB's-whatever- Ballard is done by year 2 of the mini rebuild. 

It is similar to the trade up scenario in the draft.  The risk of striking out with whatever QB we end up with at 4 is higher, but not so much that the upside of Young is Stroud is enough to give anything up for either.  So if everything seems like a bit of a wash in the end. go with the cheaper option. 

There is this notion that Lamar would be an NFL quality passer.....passes to the boundaries on a consistent basis...if he just had better WRs.  That is a chicken or the egg argument....which component do you need to have a good passing game, and which component is more along for the ride. 

So to get Lamar's passing better, how much will BAL or any other team have to invest in boundary WRs in order to get LJs competence into the Mahomes/Allen level,,,because that's what the contract #s are. 

Add the cost of those better receivers in terms of draft picks and contract #s to LJ's and then you have the total cost of a competent passing game with LJ at QB.  If it was Pitt, do we need to pay Pitt too so LJ can be a decent passer?

If we want a running based offense with sporatic passing...instead of the other way around, the way SB teams do it...then I'd say draft AR as a bigger version of LJ and sign Mariota as the vet backup/bridge QB..... before I'd actually use the picks and money on LJ and the posse of receivers he apparently needs.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

You don’t know if Irsay would pay the draft capital or not.  You’re reading way to much on his comments.  We have no idea on how far he would be willing to go.  No idea at all.

Irsay has flat out said the cost of the draft picks is something he doesn’t like.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

There is this notion that Lamar would be an NFL quality passer.....passes to the boundaries on a consistent basis...if he just had better WRs.  That is a chicken or the egg argument....which component do you need to have a good passing game, and which component is more along for the ride. 

So to get Lamar's passing better, how much will BAL or any other team have to invest in boundary WRs in order to get LJs competence into the Mahomes/Allen level,,,because that's what the contract #s are.  Add those draft picks and contract #s to LJ's and then you have the total coast of a competent passing game with LJ at QB.

If we want a running based offense with sporatic passing...instead of the other way around, the way SB teams do it...then I'd say draft AR as a bigger version of LJ and sign Mariota as the vet backup/bridge QB..... before I'd actually use the picks and money on LJ and the posse of receivers he apparently needs.

I will go back to Josh Allen again who I think is a top 5 QB right now. How good was he before Buffalo got Diggs? If Burrow didn't have Chase, he wouldn't be as good and is arguably top 3. Every QB, no matter how good needs help is the whole point. Lamar has had average to bad QB's his whole career. Give him Diggs or Chase and he would have a good chance at winning a SB.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, if we were contemplating giving up 2 first rounders to move to No.1 for a rookie, the ROI would be greater if we gave up the 2 first rounders for Lamar. Now that we didn't do it (because there wasn't a QB a cut above the rest mainly), that is why folks are floating the idea of not drafting a QB in Round 1 and giving up the 2024 1st and 2025 1st and turning around and signing Lamar. I personally wouldn't rule it out, maybe that is my optimism speaking. :) 

I wouldn't rule it out either, but not before the draft.  We need to see how things shake out first, and if we don't take a QB, maximize the value at 4 to either trade back, take Anderson, etc.   If we are giving up two firsts for Lamar, it better be future 1sts that aren't top 5.  I would hope that Ballard could negotiate a player or two instead of that second first rounder that Balt is asking for, as well. Could you imagine a world where we take Richardson at 4 AND find a way to bring in Lamar for 3 years?  That may be the perfect scenario for sustained success, albeit an expensive one where everything would have to go right.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

There is nothing to suggest he’s moved on his position though.  In fact the fact he asked for a trade suggests he hasn’t.  Also, you are ignoring that even if they can make the numbers work Irsay still isn’t willing to pay the draft capital it would take to make the deal happen.

Also ignoring the fact that we have fielded re-treads at QB for 5 straight seasons.  Upper management has been consistently vocal about going young there, especially Irsay.  I wouldn't let the most recent press conference with non comittal language be the driving factor over what Ballard and Irsay have publicly said repeatedly in the last 6 months- that its time to go young at the position, and re-treads have gotten them nowhere.

Jackson would be a double down on the retread-because now you are paying way more than Wentz and Ryan combined to go there. I don't like it, but I could live with it.  I guess that is the price you pay for a QB with 1 playoff win these days 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will go back to Josh Allen again who I think is a top 5 QB right now. How good was he before Buffalo got Diggs? If Burrow didn't have Chase, he wouldn't be as good and is arguably top 3. Every QB, no matter how good needs help is the whole point. Lamar has had average to bad QB's his whole career. Give him Diggs or Chase and he would have a good chance at a winning a SB.

I will just skip over to my local 7/11 and grab a quick Chase or Diggs.  

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, if we were contemplating giving up 2 first rounders to move to No.1 for a rookie, the ROI would be greater if we gave up the 2 first rounders for Lamar. Now that we didn't do it (because there wasn't a QB a cut above the rest mainly), that is why folks are floating the idea of not drafting a QB in Round 1 and giving up the 2024 1st and 2025 1st and turning around and signing Lamar. I personally wouldn't rule it out, maybe that is my optimism speaking. :) 

Ballard pretty much said they never went too far down that road so I don’t think it was a serious consideration.  Also, the Owner is pretty much saying the cost beyond the money is too high.  What do you think he’s taking about when he says that?  

If the Colts really wanted Lamar he’s been available all off season.  It’s not like he just came on the market.  Yet everything they have done this off-season from not releasing all the players they could have to free up cap space, signing Minshew, not having reported meetings with Lamar, and talking about no more short cuts at the QB position continues to point to drafting a rookie QB not trading for Lamar.  They also probably have an idea of the cost it would take to get him and Irsay is saying things like the money isn’t the issue it’s the structure of the contract and the draft picks.  He’s telling you nicely they aren’t trading for him.  Also, rather it’s fully guaranteed or not it appears he wants more guaranteed money than the Colts are willing to pay or Irsay wouldn’t be saying what he’s saying and the Colts would have made an offer by now.  

This all assuming that the Ravens won’t match an offer to keep him or even willing to listen to trade talks.  The Ravens seem pretty confident that Lamar is going to be a Raven.  So either they are prepared to match any offer he gets even if they don’t like it or they know he’s not going to get an offer he will accept.  

10 minutes ago, Nevbot said:

I wouldn't rule it out either, but not before the draft.  We need to see how things shake out first, and if we don't take a QB, maximize the value at 4 to either trade back, take Anderson, etc.   If we are giving up two firsts for Lamar, it better be future 1sts that aren't top 5.  I would hope that Ballard could negotiate a player or two instead of that second first rounder that Balt is asking for, as well. Could you imagine a world where we take Richardson at 4 AND find a way to bring in Lamar for 3 years?  That may be the perfect scenario for sustained success, albeit an expensive one where everything would have to go right.

Also ignoring the fact that we have fielded re-treads at QB for 5 straight seasons.  Upper management has been consistently vocal about going young there, especially Irsay.  I wouldn't let the most recent press conference with non comittal language be the driving factor over what Ballard and Irsay have publicly said repeatedly in the last 6 months- that its time to go young at the position, and re-treads have gotten them nowhere.

Jackson would be a double down on the retread-because now you are paying way more than Wentz and Ryan combined to go there. I don't like it, but I could live with it.  I guess that is the price you pay for a QB with 1 playoff win these days 

Agreed, the Colts are saying without saying it they are drafting a QB.

Its ironic I read all last year on here that Ballard was scared to draft a QB yet now he looks like he’s about to do just that and it’s the fans on here who are proving that they are the ones who are really scared to draft a QB.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will go back to Josh Allen again who I think is a top 5 QB right now. How good was he before Buffalo got Diggs? If Burrow didn't have Chase, he wouldn't be as good and is arguably top 3. Every QB, no matter how good needs help is the whole point. Lamar has had average to bad QB's his whole career. Give him Diggs or Chase and he would have a good chance at winning a SB.

And to have a quality NFL passing game to the boundaries, you need an arm with zip.  Lamar threw 49mph at the combine.  LJ doesn't even have Jake Fromm's arm...from an objective measurement.  Truth hurts don't it.  Maybe this is why BAL did not invest WRs since LJ can't get them the ball without floating a pick 6.   

Josh Allen has taken a normal trajectory each year and improved his skills as a QB.  His biggest problem his rookie year was making dumb plays...picks and fumbles.  He cut down on those, and the rest of his play stood out more.

How much should BAL pay somebody like Diggs and Chase to make LJ a competent boundary thrower?  Add that to the cost of LJs compensation.

If you gave Sam E Diggs and Chase and then use the $160M savings to buy 8 studs on defense, he would have a good chance of winning a SB.  Jesus.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And to have a quality NFL passing game to the boundaries, you need an arm with zip.  Lamar threw 49mph at the combine.  LJ doesn't even have Jake Fromm's arm...from an objective measurement.  Truth hurts don't it.  Maybe this is why BAL did not invest WRs since LJ can't get them the ball without floating a pick 6.   

Josh Allen has taken a normal trajectory each year and improved his skills as a QB.  His biggest problem his rookie year was making dumb plays...picks and fumbles.  He cut down on those, and the rest of his play stood out more.

How much should BAL pay somebody like Diggs and Chase to make LJ a competent boundary thrower?  Add that to the cost of LJs compensation.

If you gave Sam E Diggs and Chase and then use the $160M savings to buy 8 studs on defense, he would have a good chance of winning a SB.  Jesus.

"truth hurts don't it" You make me laugh chuckling homer simpson GIF- there is no talking any sense to you but then again there never has been in the 8 years I have been here :thmup:. It's like talking to a brick wall when I chat with you.

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Its ironic I read all last year on here that Ballard was scared to draft a QB yet now he looks like he’s about to do just that and it’s the fans on here who are proving that they are the ones who are really scared to draft a QB.

I don't think anyone is scared of getting a rookie QB. Everyone is always enamored with the quick turnaround but if they want to rip the band aids of non-rookie QBs, so be it, we will get behind it. It is all speculation of the pros and cons, and possibilities surrounding the Lamar situation and if the Colts could get involved and the logistics of it. Nothing more, nothing less.

The pro-Lamar contingent would be just as excited to get behind a fresh start with a rookie QB as it would be getting behind Lamar, just that the expectations will be lower.

17 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

In my case it isn't, I am/was all for it and still would be ok with it. I would love to have Young or Stroud. Like many though, nobody thought Lamar would be an option before last season ended. Just because someone might want Lamar doesn't mean they would not be ok with a rookie QB either. Lamar is only 26 as well so it is not like he is farting dust. He isn't in his late 30's/early 40's for example. 

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

What if the QB they want isn't there??  They really won't know until "2 minutes before they pick"    Quoting Streichen 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don't think anyone is scared of getting a rookie QB. Everyone is always enamored with the quick turnaround but if they want to rip the band aids of non-rookie QBs, so be it, we will get behind it. It is all speculation of the pros and cons, and possibilities surrounding the Lamar situation and if the Colts could get involved and the logistics of it. Nothing more, nothing less.

The pro-Lamar contingent would be just as excited to get behind a fresh start with a rookie QB as it would be getting behind Lamar, just that the expectations will be lower.

This, I roughly said the same thing above.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think when people say guaranteed contract it’s just easier than saying mostly guaranteed contract which is what he wants.  Either way the point people are making that he’s seeking more of a guaranteed contract than teams are willing to pay is still correct.

I think he wants out of Baltimore.   And will deal a better contract to another team IF it is a straight up trade.  If its under the current tag then Baltimore would have to see the contract to be able to match it.

Anyway   I am doing my due diligence on these ideas and looking at all options with an open mind.   

And I suspect the Colts are doing the same.

My 1st preference has always been Anderson or Tyree  at 4 and trade up if needed for Hooker. 

2nd would be Richardson. 

If those players are gone then push hard on trade 

5 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I think he wants out of Baltimore.   And will deal a better contract to another team IF it is a straight up trade.  If its under the current tag then Baltimore would have to see the contract to be able to match it.

Anyway   I am doing my due diligence on these ideas and looking at all options.   And I suspect the Colts are doing the same.

My 1st preference has always been Anderson or Tyree  at 4 and trade up if needed for Hooker. 

2nd would be Richardson. 

If those players are gone then push hard on trade 

That is one thing many aren't mentioning, he has said he wants out of Baltimore so he may settle for less money playing for another team. Once you say you want out, coming back is a bad look.

43 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This all assuming that the Ravens won’t match an offer to keep him or even willing to listen to trade talks.  The Ravens seem pretty confident that Lamar is going to be a Raven.  So either they are prepared to match any offer he gets even if they don’t like it or they know he’s not going to get an offer he will accept.  

Is this your prediction for the way the Lamar situation gets resolved? 

49 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

What if the QB they want isn't there??  They really won't know until "2 minutes before they pick"    Quoting Streichen 

Do you really think the Colts haven’t had those conversations?  Honestly, while I am sure they have one they like more than the others I think they feel they can be successful with most of these four.  If there was just one they had to have they would have done more to explore trading up.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love the few in here that don't want Lamar so they are just coming up with everything. This is them when it comes to Lamar = 85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards-no, I don't want a QB who is top 8 (which he is top 8) in the league and can turn our team around in just 1 year haha 

Don’t take thinking it won’t happen to mean someone wouldn’t want Lamar.  I’ve gone on the record as saying he’s a special player who will be successful anywhere.  I just don’t think the stars are aligning for him to end up in Indy.  

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay has flat out said the cost of the draft picks is something he doesn’t like.

Doesn’t like it doesn’t really say anything definitive.   Did he say how many pick’s would be too much.  One, two, three, four, five?  And what round and what year?  What cost is too much?  We have no idea do we.  Doesn’t like doesn’t me he won’t do anything.  

31 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love the few in here that don't want Lamar so they are just coming up with everything. This is them when it comes to Lamar = 85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards-no, I don't want a QB who is top 8 (which he is top 8) in the league and can turn our team around in just 1 year haha 

Top 8 QB (8th at best)that is often injured,terrible playoff performances and wants the largest contract in the history of the league. Irsay wasn't born yesterday.

26 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

no, I don't want a QB who is top 8 (which he is top 8) in the league and can turn our team around in just 1 year

I'm gonna challenge this on a couple different levels. But I don't want you misunderstand, so I'll state plainly: I think Lamar is a really good player, and would be better than any QB we've had since Luck retired. Now...

1. This is disingenuous. No one is turning Lamar down outright.
  2. At his best, he has still been a limited and inconsistent passer, and has not shown the development to consistently beat varied NFL defenses from the pocket.
  3. Lamar's strengths as a player require that he put his body on the line, and history has shown that NFL QBs who play the way he does eventually get injured. Lamar is the latest example of this.
  4. It's plainly obvious that Lamar wants a fully guaranteed, five year contract.
  5. We can conclude that acquiring him would cost at least two first round draft picks, plus the contract. It's also possible that the Ravens would match, so if we really want him, the best way to go about it would be a trade, in which case we're probably talking about three first round draft picks (see the Watson trade). 

So what people are actually saying, in most cases, is more like this: 'I don't want us to give up 2-3 first round picks, and then pay $250m+, fully guaranteed, for a non-pocket passer QB who has been getting hurt recently, and still hasn't shown that he can beat defenses without putting his body on the line.' 

And I think that's reasonable.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’ve said I think he ends up playing on the tag for the Ravens this year.

Got it. He said he would, so that might happen.

I don't think anyone meets his contract demands, and I don't know that he'd sign an offer sheet for less than what Watson got.

9 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Do you really think the Colts haven’t had those conversations?  Honestly, while I am sure they have one they like more than the others I think they feel they can be successful with most of these four.  If there was just one they had to have they would have done more to explore trading up.

I may be one of the few on here that think that Ballard has covered all the angles including Lamar and Fields and all the other QBs that may or not be available.  I also think that he is looking at all trades back and even trading for next yrs 1sts.    That is why I don't argue much on here.  It makes no sense to do it.  None of us know what he is going to do.  And that why I won't be shocked with anything they do.   I may be surprised. But not shocked.  And I am not going to be someone that *es constantly after the pick that it was wrong.   I am on the Have to trust them team.  Because nothing I say makes a difference 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm gonna challenge this on a couple different levels. But I don't want you misunderstand, so I'll state plainly: I think Lamar is a really good player, and would be better than any QB we've had since Luck retired. Now...

2. At his best, he has still been a limited and inconsistent passer, and has not shown the development to consistently beat varied NFL defenses from the pocket.
  3. Lamar's strengths as a player require that he put his body on the line, and history has shown that NFL QBs who play the way he does eventually get injured. Lamar is the latest example of this.
  4. It's plainly obvious that Lamar wants a fully guaranteed, five year contract.
  5. We can conclude that acquiring him would cost at least two first round draft picks, plus the contract. It's also possible that the Ravens would match, so if we really want him, the best way to go about it would be a trade, in which case we're probably talking about three first round draft picks (see the Watson trade). 

So what people are actually saying, in most cases, is more like this: 'I don't want us to give up 2-3 first round picks, and then pay $250m+, fully guaranteed, for a non-pocket passer QB who has been getting hurt recently, and still hasn't shown that he can beat defenses without putting his body on the line.' 

I gave you a Like because that is reasonable. To your first paragraph that is also fact is why I love the thought of getting Lamar. You make great points and I get why some don't want him, it is either the money or picks or some fear injury again, etc..

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Do you think there is a possibility that the Ravens are just tired of the drama and want to move on and would trade him for our #4 and maybe a later pick this yr or next?    That clears up a lot of money for them to be able to do other things  Huntley is not bad and they could roll with them.  

I bring this up after listening to that pod cast where they suggested all of the above.    

Not saying it will happen.   Not really rooting for it to happen,  Just spitballing 

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Got it. He said he would, so that might happen.

I don't think anyone meets his contract demands, and I don't know that he'd sign an offer sheet for less than what Watson got.

I wouldn’t be blown away if that happens either.  While I think he will end up playing for the Ravens under the tag I certainty wouldn’t rule out him sitting out if he doesn’t get what he wants either.

9 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

I may be one of the few on here that think that Ballard has covered all the angles including Lamar and Fields and all the other QBs that may or not be available.  I also think that he is looking at all trades back and even trading for next yrs 1sts.    That is why I don't argue much on here.  It makes no sense to do it.  None of us know what he is going to do.  And that why I won't be shocked with anything they do.   I may be surprised. But not shocked.  And I am not going to be someone that *es constantly after the pick that it was wrong.   I am on the Have to trust them team.  Because nothing I say makes a difference 

Oh I think Ballard has torn this up and down from every angle.  I think he has a really good idea of what it would have cost to go to number one, to get Lamar, if the QB they want the most will be there at 4 or not.  With all that factored in all the signs still point to them taking a QB at number 4.  So that’s what I think they have decided to do.  Like I said Lamar didn’t just become available yesterday.  The only thing that changed is that he made it known he wanted a trade yesterday.  That doesn’t impact any of the other things that have been there all off-season to keep teams from going after Lamar.  I don’t think Lamar going hey I want a trade is going to make teams go oh man now is our chance!  I think if teams were going to go after Lamar they would be doing it already.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I wouldn’t be blown away if that happens either.  While I think he will end up playing for the Ravens under the tag I certainty wouldn’t rule out him sitting out if he doesn’t get what he wants either.

I can see him sitting out.  Being 26 works in his favor imo.  

8 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

Do you think there is a possibility that the Ravens are just tired of the drama and want to move on and would trade him for our #4 and maybe a later pick this yr or next?    That clears up a lot of money for them to be able to do other things  Huntley is not bad and they could roll with them.  

I bring this up after listening to that pod cast where they suggested all of the above.    

Not saying it will happen.   Not really rooting for it to happen,  Just spitballing 

No, I think he has more value than that. The only reason they can't get three first rounders for him right now is because no team will trade that much for him unless he agrees to a long term extension, and NFL owners seem dead set against establishing fully guaranteed five year deals as a precedent. But if a team came knocking with a major offer, I think the Ravens would trade him.

And I think the no agent thing is a valid consideration. NFL teams do new contracts with players every year, and they go back and forth with agents, discussing value and market positioning in very frank terms. Usually, the player doesn't have to sit in on those meetings and hear what management has to say. In Lamar's case -- same with any player representing himself -- he's negotiating directly with the team, and it could be that he's taking personally what the team views as standard business. There's no buffer between the player and the hard line negotiator in the front office, and it's easy for an ego to be bruised, resulting in a protracted standoff. 

I think having no agent probably cost Lamar in the draft, and with his second contract. The earnings gap between him and Josh Allen just so far is something like $50m already. That's way more than Lamar would have paid an agent. I get not having an agent for simple negotiations, but it's probably biting him in the butt at this point, and it's too late to make up for what he's already lost.

Archived