Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Honestly I have a different outlook to it. Lamar is his own agent which means every negative the agent normally hears and not the player, he's hearing. He's hearing the injuries, the inefficiencies as a passer, the "we won before you" stick and that stuff will effect you. Clearly he's hearing all these negative criticisms not from a business standpoint, but from a personal one and that's causing a rift.

You could be right.  I'm sure that when he negotiated with the Ravens, they brought up his injuries as the reason they don't want to guarantee his full contract.

I don't know if they were any more negative than that, but that's factual.  If they were throwing up the "we won without you" stuff, they were being ignorant.  But, again, I don't know if that's true.

I still say that no team is going to let go of a franchise QB in his prime unless they see a problem.  IMO, that problem is his injury history due to the way he plays the game.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I don’t think Hurts  is anything like Lamar.

Disagree. Hurts is the closest thing to Lamar in the league. And more importantly - the Eagles and Ravens offenses are very similarly build around the QB's ability to run. 

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

You could be right.  I'm sure that when he negotiated with the Ravens, they brought up his injuries as the reason they don't want to guarantee his full contract.

I don't know if they were any more negative than that, but that's factual.  If they were throwing up the "we won without you" stuff, they were being ignorant.  But, again, I don't know if that's true.

I still say that no team is going to let go of a franchise QB in his prime unless they see a problem.  IMO, that problem is his injury history due to the way he plays the game.

And you can be right about that, but normally in these situations the QB doesn't ask to be traded. It gets worked out. Clearly feelings are hurt. 

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hurts is more power then speed when running the ball.

That's not a significant difference in any way about the way they play the position and the way their team builds the offense. If we get Lamar, Steichen will build very similar offense to what he ran with Hurts in Philly. 

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Hurts is more power then speed when running the ball.

True but he is still the closest comparison I think   Hurts is a better passer though.  

1 minute ago, stitches said:

That's not a significant difference in any way about the way they play the position and the way their team builds the offense. If we get Lamar, Steichen will build very similar offense to what he ran with Hurts in Philly. 

Same with Richardson?  

2 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

True but he is still the closest comparison I think   Hurts is a better passer though.  

Don't think - verify first.

Hurts is a 62.3% career passer, he had a career year this year at 66.5%

Lamar Jackson is a 63.7% career passer

I swear, some forum poster with a dislike of Lamar goes on a narrative and it feels like blind leading the blind without checking facts on this forum. 

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I swear, some forum poster with a dislike of Lamar goes on a narrative and it feels like blind leading the blind without checking facts on this forum. 

No Idea what your talking about. I like LJ

No Idea what your talking about. I like LJ

I must have gotten you confused with other posters then. Too much unnecessary negative vibes and shade thrown at Lamar for no reason. My bad.

But the point remains - Lamar has a higher career completion percentage over Jalen Hurts over a couple extra years. So anyone who says Hurts is a better passer needs to fact check and also they took away the 1 first round guy he had in Marquise Brown while Hurts is operating with 2 first rounders in Smith and Brown for pass catchers. 

Same with Richardson?  

Pretty much... at least in the beginning. IMO Richardson's instincts are more towards playing from the pocket and being a passer than Lamar and Hurts, though... so... as he develops his passing game, I would expect them to move towards more of a Josh Allen type offense... where you use the QB's ability to run and you always have that threat, but you start incorporating more traditional drop back elements with rhythm and timing... of course, this is all dependent on Richardson actually improving in that regard. 

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Some of the forum posters' lame excuses for not wanting Lamar falls mighty flat on so many fronts. The money is the ONLY issue, I have no doubts about his abilities.

Lamar puts this team in the playoffs - 75% chance - Year one

He is very young and can be the QB the next 10 years

If we trade for him, call less running plays...... it will keep him from being injured.... as much

QB3 and QB4 chance to make the playoffs in year one, two or three........MAYBE 20%

Ballard is at risk with another 1-2 losing seasons.......   Lamar actually can save his job

The TV talking heads are abuzz, thinking the Colts should make a try

I am starting to agree with them

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I must have gotten you confused with other posters then. Too much unnecessary negative vibes and shade thrown at Lamar for no reason. My bad.

But the point remains - Lamar has a higher career completion percentage over Jalen Hurts over a couple extra years. So anyone who says Hurts is a better passer needs to fact check and also they took away the 1 first round guy he had in Marquise Brown while Hurts is operating with 2 first rounders in Smith and Brown for pass catchers. 

Point- CHAD!

Just now, MikeCurtis said:

Lamar puts this team in the playoffs - 75% chance - Year one

He is very young and can be the QB the next 10 years

If we trade for him, call less running plays...... it will keep him from being injured

QB3 and QB4 chance to make the playoffs in year one, two or three........MAYBE 20%

Ballard is at risk with another 1-2 losing seasons.......   Lamar actually can save his job

The TV talking heads are abuzz, thinking the Colts should make a try

I am starting to agree with them

It is not like the Jags ran away with the division, right? We get our OL sorted out, the return on investment could balance out the opportunity cost.

32 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly Lamar is beat up, can’t stay healthy. Why the hell else would the Ravens let him go

Last I read today they were negotiating still last week.  Sounds like they are trying to keep him. As always the devil is in the details.  It’s always about the money.

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The thing is Lamar has been unhappy with the Ravens because they haven’t gotten him high level skill players to work with. If he lands here his skill players will be even worse. How’s that going to turn out I wonder?….

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I watched him play vs Georgia, Tennessee, and a bad Vanderbilt team. Not a huge sample size but 3 games is a sample size and his decision making in all 3 of those games was terrible. Some of his passes had me scratching my head. Then in his interview, when he said "I have a cannon arm, I am going to show it off", I took that as being cocky. That sounds like something Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Baker Mayfield or Johnny Manziel would say. I like the attitudes that Peyton and Luck had. All business and they did their talking on the field.

Go watch some of his 2021 games. When he had an actual offensive line. He had 2022 colts line issues this past season.

2 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

The thing is Lamar has been unhappy with the Ravens because they haven’t gotten him high level skill players to work with. If he lands here his skill players will be even worse. How’s that going to turn out I wonder?….

The Colts will be an upgrade over the Ravens, IMO, for starters, and that is all we have to worry about now.

Young pass catchers like Pierce, Woods, Ogletree are all bound to make the 2nd year jump along with guys like Pittman and Granson that have been there. Hopefully McKenzie brings something to the table too. Bad WR class to draft anything but role players, so have to wait till next draft to really upgrade pass catching talent.

Our OL issues have to be sorted out, main reason our passing game struggled on top of a QB that didn't want to push the ball. We wanted someone to take layups with Wentz, we wanted someone to push the ball farther with Ryan, just haven't gotten both. :( 

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not like the Jags ran away with the division, right? We get our OL sorted out, the return on investment could balance out the opportunity cost.

Let’s see how good they are playing a 1st place schedule.  I could see us winning the division with Lamar.

20 minutes ago, chad72 said:

No problem.   

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

The Colts will be an upgrade over the Ravens, for starters, and that is all we have to worry about now.

Young pass catchers like Pierce, Woods, Ogletree are all bound to make the 2nd year jump along with guys like Pittman and Granson that have been there. Hopefully McKenzie brings something to the table too. Bad WR class to draft anything but role players, so have to wait till next draft to really upgrade pass catching talent.

Meh. I feel like Mark Andrews is better than anything we’ve had here for a long time - at both WR and TE. Our WR and TE rooms are decidedly average in my opinion.

Sure, we can hope (and I do) that some of our young players will make a jump this season, but we barely have a legitimate WR1 and we’re HOPING the rest will be above average. That’s not anything like what the competing teams have at their skill positions.

For a team that has been saying they were “close” for some years before the 2022 season I feel like our WR and TE rooms are really disappointing and I can’t imagine Lamar would feel different. 

4 minutes ago, ChuggaBeer said:

All good negotiators ask for too much.   He's a pretty smart kid.  Although I would argue he probably needs an agent.  

I kinda assume it's the demands on guarantees he wants that is the problem for teams.....the Browns sure did no one any favours with that ridiculous Watson contract lol

Just now, DoubleE Colt said:

I kinda assume it's the demands on guarantees he wants that is the problem for teams.....the Browns sure did no one any favours with that ridiculous Watson contract lol

Or maybe he just wants out of Baltimore and would sign for less guaranteed with another team.  That would have to be a trade though

20 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Keep them guessing 

Wow!  That sounds like we are looking into Lamar to me.  He also said today he plans on bringing Kelly and Moore back.  Not looking to trade either player.  That sounds like a change from what we thought was going to happen.  Keeping two veteran players in the fold.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Rivers has had success with everybody, so that one doesn't count.

Steichen has had success with a young Herbert and Hurts, for one year each,  like Frank had with a young Wentz for one year...so we'll see where this goes.

Oh, BTW, put Hurts in that bucket of overrated QBs like DW, Lamar, Wilson, and AR who probably benefit from the systems/rosters more than they add to it.

Do you put all black QBs in this bucket or just these five?

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wow!  That sounds like we are looking into Lamar to me.  He also said today he plans on bringing Kelly and Moore back.  Not looking to trade either player.  That sounds like a change from what we thought was going to happen.  Keeping two veteran players in the fold.

But looking at it another way maybe they decided not to progress with Lamar seeing as trading Kelly and Moore could have gotten them 15mill in cap space. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

The vast majority of Colts fans want him.  Stampede Blue did a poll and 70% want to bring him in.  Irsay is seeing the excitement.  Hard to see him not proposing a trade.

Not that it matters one way or the other, but look at the Stampede Blue poll today.  About 70% do NOT want him.  

Again, none of that matters.  My concern is his injury history.  

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Doing due diligence with the QB in the draft and Lamar is smart. Doesn’t mean they are really serious about doing it.

Just wait Irsay has yet to talk lol. If Ballard broke the internet just wait until Irsay talks.

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Not that it matters one way or the other, but look at the Stampede Blue poll today.  About 70% do NOT want him.  

Again, none of that matters.  My concern is his injury history.  

It wasn’t Stamped Blue.  I had the wrong site.  There were about 5000 votes cast and it was 70% Lamar.  Doesn’t matter either way.  I can’t remember which poll it was.

38 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So Lamar's career year wasn't an aberration, his numbers Are decinding, as is his Availability.

Hurts is Ascending, and offers more balance in how he will beat you.

Lamar WAS a freak show, kinda like Cam Newton. I'm very sorry  Cleveland made dumazz's out of themselves, i worry not one second Irsay will.

Archived