Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has anyone considered Lamar Jackson? (merge)

Chucklez

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Commanders, with Snyder, I see capable of giving the NFL fits on his way out.

5 years $250 million guaranteed, and 2 first round picks. I double dog dare you, he tells the Ravens.

Ravens buckle, NFL owners cringe, Snyder sells his franchise and has a twisted last hurrah, much to the bewilderment of Commanders fans.

At these meetings I can see Irsay going to the Ravens owner saying we want to trade for Lamar.  Neither one of us or the league is interested in handing out another fully guaranteed contract.  But we will if we have to.  How about we work out a trade and we won’t do it.  We talked to Lamar and we are confident we can sign him without a fully guaranteed contract.  But we will do it if we have to.  So how about we get our GM together and work this out.  What do you say?  

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

It’s very weird how the media is pushing this. They need to stop.

They had us and the Commanders as the main 2 teams but because of Washington's messed up FO = Snyder, they kept bringing us up. They being the panel that was on there today. I guess it has came out that Lamar doesn't want to play in Baltimore anymore.

10 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Nope you must be out of the loop. 80.% of fans I see on twitter want Richardson bad. 

Those are the fans that have a twitter account, or at least use it a lot.

People like me see a correlation there.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jeff Darlington and Adam Schefter are 2 pretty good sources from ESPN and they say the Colts would be a great fit for Lamar.

Shefty has become more of a shill these days you know. 

Lamar to the Colts plays into them selling the idea he has high value.....the 4th pick.  

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Believe me most fans love his upside. Personally I take Levis because he is more ready but I am ok with Richardson.

College players who have his size and athleticism, and who throw like him, get guided into being TEs.   AR somehow slipped through the cracks, probably because something is amiss with Florida's recruiting/coaching prowess lately and they had to put him in as a QB. 

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

As said before..... I personally dont expect it, and would be surprised if it happens

I ALSO say that the draft is the best place to get the QB of the future

But....... from my perspective ......  You have to at least consider the option

Richardson AND Levis are LONG SHOTS at best.......  When Young and Stroud were within reach......  It was a no brainer to go after one of them. 

Lamar is NOT a long shot...... he is a guy that would get THIS team to 10-11 wins

If you reduce his carries by half, you should see much less injuries.

I would only do this AFTER the draft, so that the picks arent as good that we give up.

I think giving up 4 for LAMAR is way too much

Again.... doubt it happens for LAMAR, but next year, if we take LEVIS or Richardson, we will be top 5 again....... we will be in a 

quandry as to what we do with this years pick especially if we are in range of one of the great talents at QB  in next years draft

By him demanding trade it changes things. He can sign the franchise tag and be traded for less. New team takes on the 1 yr contract and can then discuss a new contract 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

College players who have his size and athleticism, and who throw like him, get guided into being TEs.   AR somehow slipped through the cracks, probably because something is amiss with Florida's recruiting/coaching prowess lately and they had to put him in as a QB. 

I think with him he just need reps. His interviews are great and he is mature and shows accountability. I think we are in a different age of football where we don’t put QB in boxes anymore and let them play to their strengths.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jeff Darlington and Adam Schefter are 2 pretty good sources from ESPN and they say the Colts would be a great fit for Lamar.

I think the 2 best fits for Lamar are Washington and Atlanta. If not Baltimore,he will end up at one or the other.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I think with him he just need reps. His interviews are great and he is mature and shows accountability. I think we are in a different age of football where we don’t put QB in boxes anymore and let them play to their strengths.

Most NFL TEs masquerading as college QBs because of recruiting shortcomings at their school do need more reps at QB.

The main strength should be throwing the ball.   That's what distinguishes the QB from all of the other runners.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Washington seems like they want to roll with who they have and so does Atlanta. Atlanta loves Ridder and Washington has the stink of Snyder lmao .

He will end up in Washington is my guess. Snyder is a businessman and will want Lamar in the fold to add value to the franchise he is about to sell.

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It’s not hard to see a fit.   The Colts need a QB and they see what Steichen did with Hurts.    That looks like a fit to most.   

BUT…. 

You have to be convinced that you can developed a player with only 13 college starts, less than 1,000 career snaps.   The list of those players to make it big in the NFL is so small it might be close to zero.   And if it’s more than zero it might be small enough to count on one hand with fingers left over.   That’s a HUGE gamble.   Off the top of my head I can’t even think of a single QB who fits that profile.   Trubisky would be the most recent, and he’s closer to bust than hit.   And I believe he completed 64-65 percent in his one year as a starter, not 53-54. 

The only way I want Richardson is if Steichen does.   Otherwise…..  

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Shefty has become more of a shill these days you know. 

Lamar to the Colts plays into them selling the idea he has high value.....the 4th pick.  

Shefty is far from the only person saying AR to the Colts or AR could be drafted in the top 4 or top-10.    Almost every media outlet has floated that idea.  I can’t think of one which hasn’t.   And I’m not a pro-AR guy. 

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Washington seems like they want to roll with who they have and so does Atlanta. Atlanta loves Ridder and Washington has the stink of Snyder lmao .

Yeah, this Lamar to ATL thing or ATL trading up for a QB thing is just nuts.  Ridder is their guy until he is not, and that decision hasn't come yet.

ATL can win the South next season if they get some pieces around Ridder and on defense.

They are much closer to being a perennial Division contender with Ridder and a built out roster than with Lamer or a rookie and giving up all of the capital it takes to land them...plus more uncertainty.  

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Exactly!  Jordan Reid, FL QB, very athletic, big guy, converted to TE his senior season, and became a good Pro. Even Tebow recently tried to be a TE.

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s not hard to see a fit.   The Colts need a QB and they see what Steichen did with Hurts.    That looks like a fit to most.   

BUT…. 

You have to be convinced that you can developed a player with only 13 college starts, less than 1,000 career snaps.   The list of those players to make it big in the NFL is so small it might be close to zero.   And if it’s more than zero it might be small enough to count on one hand with fingers left over.   That’s a HUGE gamble.   Off the top of my head I can’t even think of a single QB who fits that profile.   Trubisky would be the most recent, and he’s closer to bust than hit.   And I believe he completed 64-65 percent in his one year as a starter, not 53-54. 

The only way I want Richardson is if Steichen does.   Otherwise…..  

I was talking about Lamar but Shane may love AR. It is hard telling what Ballard and Shane want to do. I do know Irsay is on record saying he loves the kid out of Alabama.

Regarding Trubisky, I said in here when the Bears took him it was a bad pick and he wouldn't last. I said they should have took Watson. Watson has had off the field problems but when on his game he is still a top 10 QB in the league. Funny thing is, Bears could have taken Mahomes who went #10 lmao 

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yup.  That's real easy way to look at it and a way the media types who casually cover the Colts might look at it.

I will say this much:

I have been against chasing Lamar up to this point based not on his contract demands nor on the pick cost to acquire (since i genuinely believe he is worth the cost of both), but did not like it based entirely on my belief that Baltimore would just end up matching the offer he agrees to and then the team that provided that sheet did all their work for them and has nothing to show for it. 

Now, with word out today that Lamar has legit asked for a trade out of BMore that changes things to me a bit.

IF (big if) he makes it clear that he will not play in BMore anymore under any circumstances, that makes things more interesting. It makes it so it is not beneficial for BMore to match an offer sheet and it makes it so Lamar could negotiate a deal w a new team and then basically go to BMore and just sign his franchise sheet and demand the trade or else he would sit rather than play for them.

That is a risky strategy for him as a player, but it also would make it much more likely that BMore entertains trades and negotiates with other teams and doesn't match offer sheets.

That would make me completely willing to chase Lamar.

Additionally, if we sat at 1.04 in the draft and a QB we loved did not fall to us, we could turn around and draft a Will Anderson type and then turn around and make an offer with plans to work out a trade w BMore based around 2024 and /or 2025 picks. 

Just adds an interesting wrinkle for whatever team wants to chase Lamar. Even if it isn't the Colts. 

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Shefty is far from the only person saying AR to the Colts or AR could be drafted in the top 4 or top-10.    Almost every media outlet has floated that idea.  I can’t think of one which hasn’t.   And I’m not a pro-AR guy. 

Maybe, but not all teams in the top 10 would be interested.  So implying that he's a coveted top 10 player...so that any team that needs a QB should covet him...is not accurate.

If SEA is picking at 5 and covets him, that makes him SEAs favorite.  It doesn't really mean that he's a "top 10 pick" like a Will Anderson or CJ Stroud, who all teams might covet as an option with their top 10 pick.

Its the same thing as BAL picking Lamar in the first round.  because it happened doesn't really make Lamar a "first round pick" QB coming out of college.  There was a specialty niche fit there.

If Irsay and Ballard draft AR, then they have thrown in the towel as far as QB analysis has gone and they are simply rolling the dice that he might develop into something to go along with his size and RAS.

8 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I always find it funny how every single team in the NFL has the ability to trade picks and spend money for FA/draft, but Indy can “never afford it.”

Me too, I have posted this probably 50 times over the last 5 years haha . Any NFL team, I say "ANY" can make 1 expensive signing work to turn their franchise around and manipulate the cap if they really wanted too or make 2 or 3 expensive signings that make a huge impact. I know this because I have seen the Pats, Rams, Saints, Bucs, and Cowboys do it over and over lmao . I would not put it past the Pats to try for Lamar, Belichick is sneaky and good like that.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Smarts and football smarts are 2 different things. FitzMagic graduated from Harvard with a 3.8 out 4.0 grade avg. but was an average QB throughout his career, mainly just a great backup.

Interesting since of the top 5 qbs only levis and hooker come from football familes. Where do you see levis as not football smart?

17 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I will say this much:

I have been against chasing Lamar up to this point based not on his contract demands nor on the pick cost to acquire (since i genuinely believe he is worth the cost of both), but did not like it based entirely on my belief that Baltimore would just end up matching the offer he agrees to and then the team that provided that sheet did all their work for them and has nothing to show for it. 

Now, with word out today that Lamar has legit asked for a trade out of BMore that changes things to me a bit.

IF (big if) he makes it clear that he will not play in BMore anymore under any circumstances, that makes things more interesting. It makes it so it is not beneficial for BMore to match an offer sheet and it makes it so Lamar could negotiate a deal w a new team and then basically go to BMore and just sign his franchise sheet and demand the trade or else he would sit rather than play for them.

That is a risky strategy for him as a player, but it also would make it much more likely that BMore entertains trades and negotiates with other teams and doesn't match offer sheets.

That would make me completely willing to chase Lamar.

Additionally, if we sat at 1.04 in the draft and a QB we loved did not fall to us, we could turn around and draft a Will Anderson type and then turn around and make an offer with plans to work out a trade w BMore based around 2024 and /or 2025 picks. 

Just adds an interesting wrinkle for whatever team wants to chase Lamar. Even if it isn't the Colts. 

I agree.  I really believe that it could happen after the draft (to any team) so that the team can still use their draft pick this year to gain a blue chip player.  And use 24&25 for LJ

Again.  I think it is better value, even with the high salary, than some think.  You get 2 blue chip players using 3 1sts.    Also remember Irsay is not opposed to paying a QB huge money.  He said when Luck retired that he was walking away from half a billion in salaries.  And that was 7 yrs ago.  It's the guaranteed part that throws a wrench in it 

5 minutes ago, Mike06181 said:

Interesting since of the top 5 qbs only levis and hooker come from football familes. Where do you see levis as not football smart?

Also Fitzmagic was a 7th round pick.   So IMO he did very well with his career.  

4 minutes ago, Mike06181 said:

I watched him play vs Georgia, Tennessee, and a bad Vanderbilt team. Not a huge sample size but 3 games is a sample size and his decision making in all 3 of those games was terrible. Some of his passes had me scratching my head. Then in his interview, when he said "I have a cannon arm, I am going to show it off", I took that as being cocky. That sounds like something Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, Baker Mayfield or Johnny Manziel would say. I like the attitudes that Peyton and Luck had. All business and they did their talking on the field.

30 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I always find it funny how every single team in the NFL has the ability to trade picks and spend money for FA/draft, but Indy can “never afford it.”

I believe that's partly because of "Small Market Syndrome" 

The Colts should either trade 4 for 5, or 4 for 7 right now.

If it goes to Seattle, swap Lockett and Cox in the deal and call it a day. Even if Colts want a QB the 4th best one still should be there.

If it's with Atlanta, then swap picks and send Moore and gain Atlanta's overall second in 23 and call it a day. Then send the 7th overall pick to Baltimore along with Minshew and next year's 1st for Lamar and get Baltimore's 4th in return. 

Done. 

Why do people on this board and the media think that Lamar Jackson is actually a good QB?....like they did Watson?  And they do AR?

Lamar is who he is simply because Ozzie and Harbaugh made him.  Without Harbaugh to coach him and Ozzie to put the pieces around, him he is just a small-ish runner who is a below average QB.   People are assuming that he can leave BAL and be a good QB, just like they thought that DW could do anything without Bill O' Brien coaching him.   

The whiffing on these guys by the football world is hilarious to watch.

Archived