Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

philba101

Would you trade the #4 pick for Justin Fields? According to recent reports. Multiple NFL general managers came away from the recent Pro Bowl weekend believing the Bears are open to dealing QB Justin Fields. Fields will be entering his 3rd-year of a 4-year rookie contract that also has a 5th-year option. There is a lot of speculation that none of the QB's at the top of this draft are elite and will likely need a couple years to adjust to the NFL. Fields already has a couple years experience as an NFL player. He could potentially hit the ground running on the Colts and new coach Steichen could utilize and mold him much like he did with Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia. The Colts have already shown that they want to shorten the window of returning to competitive relevancy by convincing their new coach to largely keep the entire defensive staff in place. Would a young explosive QB with a couple years of experience shorten that window even more?

• Like 2

• philba101 changed the title to Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

I like Fields, but I'm gonna pass on this. It has nothing to do with Justin but everything to do with getting "our guy".

And honestly, I think I'd rather trade back or stay put, bulk up on some 1st round talent and then get Hooker or McKee in the 2nd/3rd round over trading that 4 for Fields. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing I love about Fields is he now has a couple years under his belt. He is strong, fast, and young - accuracy is above average, it would be an ok move IMO, pair him up with Taylor, who knows??

This might make even more sense if the Colts don't love anybody enough to draft them at #4.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I like Fields, but I'm gonna pass on this. It has nothing to do with Justin but everything to do with getting "our guy".

And honestly, I think I'd rather trade back or stay put, bulk up on some 1st round talent and then get Hooker or McKee in the 2nd/3rd round over trading that 4 for Fields. 

Let's say the Colts are not sold that Levis, Young, or Stroud are somebody for their future but they don't want to wait around for Hooker or Mckee to develop. Do you take Fields now and maybe draft one of those guys in the 3rd round in case Fields does not work out.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

Let's say the Colts are not sold that Levis, Young, or Stroud are somebody for their future but they don't want to wait around for Hooker or Mckee to develop. Do you take Fields now and maybe draft one of those guys in the 3rd round in case Fields does not work out.

I'd still think I'd rather just take one of the top defenders available, roll with Sam or a 2nd/3rd round rookie and call it good. If we're terrible, then we've possibly got a front row ticket to Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr. Irrelevant said:

So, he is not good enough for the Bears but good enough for the Colts? Mediocrity is now the ambition? 

I think it remains to be seen how good Fields can be. We know that he can play on the NFL level, we don't know this about the top 3 QB's in the draft. Maybe the Bears really like a QB in this draft and want to go a different direction then where Fields has taken them so far?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I think it remains to be seen how good Fields can be. We know that he can play on the NFL level, we don't know this about the top 3 QB's in the draft. Maybe the Bears really like a QB in this draft and want to go a different direction then where Fields has taken them so far?

It usually takes a QB 3 or 4 years before they become good or great. Unless you are Andrew Luck. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I'd still think I'd rather just take one of the top defenders available, roll with Sam or a 2nd/3rd round rookie and call it good. If we're terrible, then we've possibly got a front row ticket to Caleb Williams or Drake Maye. 

Possibly you get a chance to draft Williams or Maye. Fields would be ready to play day 1. If you make the Colts fans wait another year to potentially get Williams or Maye, you better make it happen. If we do the QB carousel another year and don't get one of those two guys, Ballard would be fired and the Colts fan base would conduct an open revolt against Irsay.

3 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Possibly you get a chance to draft Williams or Maye. Fields would be ready to play day 1. If you make the Colts fans wait another year to potentially get Williams or Maye, you better make it happen. If we do the QB carousel another year and don't get one of those two guys, Ballard would be fired and the Colts fan base would conduct an open revolt against Irsay.

This place will implode if we don't draft Young or Stroud or don't get Fields in some type of trade. If we draft Levis I may implode though lmao , I don't see him being any good at all.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That was short and sweet Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Sorry I just am done with retreads. Field looks promising but ask yourself - the Bears have had him in their building for 2 years now. They know how he works, they know what he does well and what he doesn't, they know his rate of improvement. If the Bears decide to trade him now, what would that tell us about Fields? Noone trades franchise QBs, especially this young... It probably means they don't believe in him and his ability to improve into a franchise guy... We already made that same mistake just 2 years ago. A team told us they don't believe in their QB and we gave them a 1st and a 3d for him. 

Thanks but no thanks... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Sorry I just am done with retreads. Field looks promising but ask yourself - the Bears have had him in their building for 2 years now. They know how he works, they know what he does well and what he doesn't, they know his rate of improvement. If the Bears decide to trade him now, what would that tell us about Fields? Noone trades franchise QBs, especially this young... It probably means they don't believe in him and his ability to improve into a franchise guy... We already made that same mistake just 2 years ago. A team told us they don't believe in their QB and we gave them a 1st and a 3d for him. 

Thanks but no thanks... 

I am tired of retreads as well. Matt Ryan let me down but Fields is only 23 years old and now has experience in the NFL, I would not classify him as a retread. A retread to me is someone that is 30 years or older and has just a few years left. Carr would be a retread. 

• Like 1

Chris Simms said this morning on the Dan Patrick show that Young is grading out higher than Fields did as we enter the combine.  He views Fields as more of a running quarterback and his passing game is improving.  Poles didn’t draft him. Really no loyalty there.  Ballard reportedly liked Fields a lot.  Fields has proven he can play and play well in the league.  The rookie quarterbacks haven’t taken a snap yet.  All of them could flame out.  Simms thinks they should keep him.  Patrick thinks they should trade him and start over with Young since they are not yet ready to contend with Fields.  We would contend immediately with Fields and would only lose our 1st rd pick.  Ballard could then use the rest of his picks.  If they are crazy enough to trade Fields I would do it for our 1st.  Ballard would too I think.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks but no thanks... 

Fields is far from a retread and I would trade the #4 pick for him in a heartbeat. He's clearly ascending and if the Bears surround him with the type of talent they should this offseason, he's going to take a Hurts level leap in 2023. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, philba101 said:

Would you trade the #4 pick for Justin Fields? According to recent reports. Multiple NFL general managers came away from the recent Pro Bowl weekend believing the Bears are open to dealing QB Justin Fields. Fields will be entering his 3rd-year of a 4-year rookie contract that also has a 5th-year option. There is a lot of speculation that none of the QB's at the top of this draft are elite and will likely need a couple years to adjust to the NFL. Fields already has a couple years experience as an NFL player. He could potentially hit the ground running on the Colts and new coach Steichen could utilize and mold him much like he did with Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia. The Colts have already shown that they want to shorten the window of returning to competitive relevancy by convincing their new coach to largely keep the entire defensive staff in place. Would a young explosive QB with a couple years of experience shorten that window even more?

No

35 minutes ago, philba101 said:

If we wanted to continue getting someone else's sloppy seconds, why not just get Derek Carr and save the draft picks? He's available right now and we don't have to trade anything for him. 

Haven't we used our 1st round picks on other players enough? I want the next QB starting on this team to have been chosen and developed by us, not another team. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ad24rouse said:

Fields is far from a retread and I would trade the #4 pick for him in a heartbeat. He's clearly ascending and if the Bears surround him with the type of talent they should this offseason, he's going to take a Hurts level leap in 2023. 

This is missing the point. My point is - he very well might make the leap next season. But if the Bears have faith in that they would never trade him. The only way they trade him is if there is actually something wrong with him behind the scenes(poor work ethic, discipline issues, bad attitude, etc.) that makes them give up on him. 

• Like 3

No. Nothing against Fields, but he's been "Chicago'd". He was set up to fail from the beginning and beaten to a pulp over the last 2 years. The last time that franchise developed a franchise qb they showed black and white highlight reels of games before the start of a movie and the players wore leather helmets. 

If the Bears were inclined to move off Fields and take a QB at 1 overall, why would we ever give up our 1st for Fields? 

If anything, we could get him for pick 35 or a third at that point.

Same with Lance, we could get him for pick 35

• Like 2

Justin Fields is a poor man version of Lamar Jackson but with inferior passing skills than Lamar. He sure has wheels and we can run him to the ground and be prepared for him to miss games like Lamar did the last 2 years. I still want a guy that is a pass first QB like Stroud even if they have the ability to run for a key first down. That is just me.

• Like 5

No.  Not because I don’t think fields isn’t good, it’s because he’s about to get paid in 2 years.  We need to take advantage of this opportunity of having a formidable (and possibly good) qb on his rookie deal.  That will allow us to keep building HOPEFULLY spend some money to get our future qb some help.  

it’s the same reason why the bears are thinking about moving on from him.  It has nothing to do with his abilities.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is missing the point. My point is - he very well might make the leap next season. But if the Bears have faith in that they would never trade him. The only way they trade him is if there is actually something wrong with him behind the scenes(poor work ethic, discipline issues, bad attitude, etc.) that makes them give up on him. 

Yeah, if they believe he can make the jump, they would be building around him. Maybe that is a smokescreen too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If the Bears were inclined to move off Fields and take a QB at 1 overall, why would we ever give up our 1st for Fields? 

If anything, we could get him for pick 35 or a third at that point.

Same with Lance, we could get him for pick 35

You might be right. I believe the Bears drafted Fields 11th overall. They may be willing to take a lower pick, series of picks, or a future pick to part with him. So, if the Bears would Trade Fields, for #35, what would you do with the 4th pick in that case?

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

You might be right. I believe the Bears drafted Fields 11th overall. They may be willing to take a lower pick, series of picks, or a future pick to part with him. So, if the Bears would Trade Fields, for #35, what would you do with the 4th pick in that case?

Trade back to gain a 1st next year and grab Flowers or Nelson

• Like 1