Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

philba101

Well, it is like Chicago media and bloggers are jumping on it too:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/14/bears-2023-mock-draft-trade-justin-fields-to-panthers/

Justin Fields did say that he would prefer the new Bears stadium be a dome because he is not a fan of the windy cold weather.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-fields-not-a-fan-of-wind-and-cold-has-one-request-for-bears-future-home-i-hope-we-get-a-dome/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

No.  Not because I don’t think fields isn’t good, it’s because he’s about to get paid in 2 years.  We need to take advantage of this opportunity of having a formidable (and possibly good) qb on his rookie deal.  That will allow us to keep building HOPEFULLY spend some money to get our future qb some help.  

it’s the same reason why the bears are thinking about moving on from him.  It has nothing to do with his abilities.  

Good points. Any rookie is probably going to take a couple years to get acclimated to the NFL as well. The thinking is to get Fields now and see if you can bypass the 2-years of development you will likely face with a rookie. Yes you will have to pay Fields sooner if he hits, but if the QB you draft doesn't pan out after the first 2-3 years, then you will likely start the QB process all over again in this case as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, boogmanningluck said:

I think he very well could be a very good QB , but #4 pick no way. I'd consider maybe a 3rd this year and a future #1 hoping it not a top 5 pick and turns out to be the 32nd LOL

I actually like this idea better. Someone suggested our #35 pick this year or like you said some other combination of future picks. This would allow the Colts to keep the #4 pick or trade it for additional immediate assets, yet still get a QB ready to play.

I would absolutely not trade for Fields!!

I feel with these new style quarter backs you get 5-6 years out before theY are worn out with injuries.

Also He Ohio State. Not that I have anything against OSU. They do not have a proven track record of qbs. "Soft" 

We don't want Stroud either. Shoulder concerns already. Same as Luck.

Our line is scary bad right now. Just asking to get him hurt .

Trade the pick get Hooker. Ask Peyton about him. We need rookie contract to build line. Trade Shaquille while there is value. Build that line. Get Mayer TE ND.

We would have two Stud TE for bailing out a new QB or a old QB . What would it hurt to suck again this coming year. Just think about Harrison jr.  Now you got QB. TEs ,OL,RB, and if you trade up next year or tank you have 2 #1 WR...

WHAT YOU THINK?

2 hours ago, philba101 said:

Would you trade the #4 pick for Justin Fields? According to recent reports. Multiple NFL general managers came away from the recent Pro Bowl weekend believing the Bears are open to dealing QB Justin Fields. Fields will be entering his 3rd-year of a 4-year rookie contract that also has a 5th-year option. There is a lot of speculation that none of the QB's at the top of this draft are elite and will likely need a couple years to adjust to the NFL. Fields already has a couple years experience as an NFL player. He could potentially hit the ground running on the Colts and new coach Steichen could utilize and mold him much like he did with Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia. The Colts have already shown that they want to shorten the window of returning to competitive relevancy by convincing their new coach to largely keep the entire defensive staff in place. Would a young explosive QB with a couple years of experience shorten that window even more?

Honestly, I’m not sure Chicago would do a deal for Fields for only the 4.    I think they’d want tge 4 this year and something good next year as well.   Perhaps tge Colts 1 or 2 in 24. 

As to whether I’d do it?    Honestly I’m not sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This place will implode if we don't draft Young or Stroud or don't get Fields in some type of trade. If we draft Levis I may implode though lmao , I don't see him being any good at all.

I haven't had a chance to study film of Levis yet; though I hope to soon. I was impressed with both Stroud and Young but Iike Stroud slightly better. Young has plenty of talent, I am just concerned if his body size will hold up under the NFL rigor.

3 minutes ago, philba101 said:

I haven't had a chance to study film of Levis yet; though I hope to soon. I was impressed with both Stroud and Young but Iike Stroud slightly better. Young has plenty of talent, I am just concerned if his body size will hold up under the NFL rigor.

I watched him play against Georgia, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt, freakin Vanderbilt and he stunk. 

51 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If we wanted to continue getting someone else's sloppy seconds, why not just get Derek Carr and save the draft picks? He's available right now and we don't have to trade anything for him. 

Haven't we used our 1st round picks on other players enough? I want the next QB starting on this team to have been chosen and developed by us, not another team. 

I get the part about drafting and developing your own player. It is strange that Ballard seems to love this so much with most of the current draft-pick players on our roster, yet he has never attempted it with an early-round QB. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The thing I love about Fields is he now has a couple years under his belt. He is strong, fast, and young - accuracy is above average, it would be an ok move IMO, pair him up with Taylor, who knows??

Am I missing something? Accurate? He was 192 of 318 this year - 60.4%. He also had 16 fumbles (lost 2). 

If the Bears are willing to trade him I don’t want us to part of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Solid84 said:

Am I missing something? Accurate? He was 192 of 318 this year - 60.4%. He also had 16 fumbles (lost 2). 

If the Bears are willing to trade him I don’t want us to part of it. 

The Bears do not have a RB like Taylor and 60.4% is above average, I never said the guy had great accuracy. I said above average.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Bears do not have a RB like Taylor and 60.4% is above average, I never said the guy had great accuracy. I said above average.

Steichen mentioned accuracy as the first trait he wanted in a QB. 60.4% isn’t accurate in todays NFL where offenses are set up to succeed through the rules. JT isn’t going to make a QB more accurate. 

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

For some reason, Levis strikes me as the type of QB that Frank Reich would like. He may be eyeing him there with pick #7.

I agree he didn't look good! I see him just like EASON.  I'm still thinking Hooker!

Just now, Solid84 said:

Steichen mentioned accuracy as the first trait he wanted in a QB. 60.4% isn’t accurate in todays NFL where offenses are set up to succeed through the rules. JT isn’t going to make a QB more accurate. 

JT would make it a lot easier on a QB, you can use play action with him. Fields has a pile of crap in Chicago.

• Like 2

CAR is building a near HOF assistant coaching staff to go with Reich.  I don not see them being concerned with a rookie QB at this point and will probably go with a veteran.  They are shooting to win the NFC South right now.

Rodgers to CAR...not that GB would trade him in-conference.

1 minute ago, Solid84 said:

Stroud and Young were both very accurate in college. I think accuracy is even more important on the pro level because there is less margin for error against NFL defenses.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I watched him play against Georgia, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt, freakin Vanderbilt and he stunk. 

I mean you're giving UK a lot of credit to watch them go up some titans. His vandy game was tough. You have to take into account his 2021 tape to get an accurate read on him. FWIW I have stated I didn't want Levi's early on but theres a lot of things to take into consideration instead of watching his low lights.

• Like 1

Just now, twfish said:

I mean you're giving UK a lot of credit to watch them go up some titans. His vandy game was tough. You have to take into account his 2021 tape to get an accurate read on him. FWIW I have stated I didn't want Levi's early on but theres a lot of things to take into consideration instead of watching his low lights.

That is 3 game sample size. It is not like watching Peyton playing 1 bad game vs Florida.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No.  I would trade pick 35 though.

It makes you wonder whether the Bears would do that trade if they really wanted to move on from him. Some team would probably jump in and offer more than that. This move would sure give the Colts a lot of leverage with that 4th pick.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JT would make it a lot easier on a QB, you can use play action with him. Fields has a pile of crap in Chicago.

JT is a help but he ain't nothing without a line as we all know to well. So unless we address this . We could have Rodgers, Brady, Manning and we would still be looking for another QB by the 10th week.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

It makes you wonder whether the Bears would do that trade if they really wanted to move on from him. Some team would probably jump in and offer more than that. This move would sure give the Colts a lot of leverage with that 4th pick.

Fields fell during the draft and landed at pick 12.  His career thus far questions him being a first round draft pick, especially if the team who drafted him wants to replace him with a rookie QB.  I don't see any QB needy team spending anything higher than pick 20 on him. 

I think our pick 35 would be CHIs best offer unless some team offers a future #1.  Maybe include Ryan Kelly.

I believe Fields was taken at #11 in his draft. In my opinion he hasn't really outplayed that draft position so far. If we could trade bask to somewhere around 11, get some extra picks, and trade #11 or thereabout to get get Justin Fields, I could get on board. Trading #4 for him seems a little steep.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is 3 game sample size. It is not like watching Peyton playing 1 bad game vs Florida.

He is also not a consensus generational talent like a luck or a manning and is the 3rd ranked QB. We dont have the luxury of #1 without trading an arm and a leg up to get it. Honestly neither Young or Stroud are a generational talent either. All 4 prospects have glaring red flags on them and to get a good read on them you have to watch all their games. You cant just cherry pick them. Heck you can look back on some stroud tape and find glaring issues as well and he had loads of talent on his roster. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Fields fell during the draft and landed at pick 12.  His career thus far questions him being a first round draft pick, especially if the team who drafted him wants to replace him with a rookie QB.  I don't see any QB needy team spending anything higher than pick 20 on him. 

I think our pick 35 would be CHIs best offer unless some team offers a future #1.  Maybe include Ryan Kelly.

Jalen Hurts was drafted at pick 53, 2nd round. He is a top 5 QB in today's league. He has the right surroundings.

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

bears will get much more by trading the first pick. They are actually in a win win situation trading that first pick. They get a extra first in 24 it protects them if fields does not improve. They can move on after this season because they have a extra first next year in a good draft class. So fields either improves or they set themselves up for next year. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All in all, I want Young, I could care less about his size. He is the best QB out there coming out IMO.

You could be right. I was impressed with Young's tape. The only thing I didn't like was that he seemed to bail from the pocket a little quicker than I thought he should. But, when you see some of the splash plays that he makes on the move with accuracy, then it is easy to get wowed by his talent. If he can do that on the pro level he will be a star. Stroud seems to be more of a steady hand that does not get rattled very easy. He is not nearly as dynamic as Young on the move but I think he has the ability to make plays with his legs when needed. I like that they are both very accurate passers.

1 minute ago, philba101 said:

You could be right. I was impressed with Young's tape. The only thing I didn't like was that he seemed to bail from the pocket a little quicker than I though he should. But, when you see some of the splash plays that he makes on the move with accuracy, then it is easy to get wowed by his talent. If he can do that on the pro level he will be a star. Stroud seems to be more of a steady hand that does not get rattled very easy. He is not nearly as dynamic as Young on the move but I think he has the ability to make plays with his legs when needed. I like that they are both very accurate passers.

Irsay seems to love Young, Irsay doesn't know how to cook but he knows football lmao 

3 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

bears will get much more by trading the first pick. They are actually in a win win situation trading that first pick. They get a extra first in 24 it protects them if fields does not improve. They can move on after this season because they have a extra first next year in a good draft class. So fields either improves or they set themselves up for next year. 

This could be said about the Colts too.

Irsay just has to not be so impulsive.