Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

philba101

4 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

bears will get much more by trading the first pick. They are actually in a win win situation trading that first pick. They get a extra first in 24 it protects them if fields does not improve. They can move on after this season because they have a extra first next year in a good draft class. So fields either improves or they set themselves up for next year. 

You are right, they are in an enviable position with their draft picks and salary cap money this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Irsay seems to love Young, Irsay doesn't know how to cook but he knows football lmao 

Yes, If he really loves Young, I would prefer that he not broadcast it to everyone before the draft. It was hard for me to tell if Irsay was just talking off the top of his head, or it was a smokescreen.

5 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

What I do wonder about is if Ballard would like to have fields over one of these draft picks. We have better receiving options then bears. Steichen could do wonders with him in the passing department I believe. If bears take a QB that most likely leaves  colts with Levis after Texans pick.

That is what I was thinking too. Although, I agree with other posters here that it would probably be better if we could get Fields with a lower pick than this year's #4; or for some collection of future picks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Yes, If he really loves Young, I would prefer that he not broadcast it to everyone before the draft. It was hard for me to tell if Irsay was just talking off the top of his head, or it was a smokescreen.

It could be a smokescreen but then again he may have had a couple of scotches on the rocks and just said how he felt Martin Lawrence Dancing GIF by HBO Max

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All in all, I want Young, I could care less about his size. He is the best QB out there coming out IMO.

So you predict that by the end of year three Young will be acknowledged as the best of the bunch.

Because when you look to draft from this group THAT IS what our brain trust will be drafting for.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Well, it is like Chicago media and bloggers are jumping on it too:

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/14/bears-2023-mock-draft-trade-justin-fields-to-panthers/

Justin Fields did say that he would prefer the new Bears stadium be a dome because he is not a fan of the windy cold weather.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/justin-fields-not-a-fan-of-wind-and-cold-has-one-request-for-bears-future-home-i-hope-we-get-a-dome/

I saw the article about him wanting a dome.   Well we have the dome and we need a quarterback.  If the Bears want to trade him I’m sure moving him to another conference would be the preferred course of action.  We are the perfect team.  A marriage made in heaven.  I could see Ballard preferring this trade than moving up in the draft and spending more draft picks to do so.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

Would you trade the #4 pick for Justin Fields? According to recent reports. Multiple NFL general managers came away from the recent Pro Bowl weekend believing the Bears are open to dealing QB Justin Fields. Fields will be entering his 3rd-year of a 4-year rookie contract that also has a 5th-year option. There is a lot of speculation that none of the QB's at the top of this draft are elite and will likely need a couple years to adjust to the NFL. Fields already has a couple years experience as an NFL player. He could potentially hit the ground running on the Colts and new coach Steichen could utilize and mold him much like he did with Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia. The Colts have already shown that they want to shorten the window of returning to competitive relevancy by convincing their new coach to largely keep the entire defensive staff in place. Would a young explosive QB with a couple years of experience shorten that window even more?

we already have a running back so nope lol. And....and...if a trade was ever to happen, you would never trade him for higher than where he was drafted at.

3 hours ago, philba101 said:

Would you trade the #4 pick for Justin Fields? According to recent reports. Multiple NFL general managers came away from the recent Pro Bowl weekend believing the Bears are open to dealing QB Justin Fields. Fields will be entering his 3rd-year of a 4-year rookie contract that also has a 5th-year option. There is a lot of speculation that none of the QB's at the top of this draft are elite and will likely need a couple years to adjust to the NFL. Fields already has a couple years experience as an NFL player. He could potentially hit the ground running on the Colts and new coach Steichen could utilize and mold him much like he did with Jalen Hurts in Philadelphia. The Colts have already shown that they want to shorten the window of returning to competitive relevancy by convincing their new coach to largely keep the entire defensive staff in place. Would a young explosive QB with a couple years of experience shorten that window even more?

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by FaZe ClanMichael Scott No GIFCbs No GIF by HULUangry willy wonka GIF

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I saw the article about him wanting a dome.   Well we have the dome and we need a quarterback.  If the Bears want to trade him I’m sure moving him to another conference would be the preferred course of action.  We are the perfect team.  A marriage made in heaven.  I could see Ballard preferring this trade than moving up in the draft and spending more draft picks to do so.

Yeah I can see Ballard preferring that. Instead of an experienced vet, it would be an experienced rookie type. The key is Irsay signing off on it.

Still think the Bears are making a smokescreen to cause someone to panic and jump to 1. It's the car salesman approach of "someone really likes _______ car so better jump on it fast!" 

"You know we REALLY like x QB in this draft, maybe we'll trade Fields and get them..." And then the other teams (Texans) decide to jump to 1 so the Bears don't take their guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Yeah I can see Ballard preferring that. Instead of an experienced vet, it would be an experienced rookie type. The key is Irsay signing off on it.

With Shane as our new HC I don’t think Irsay would have any problem with it.  He might view the trade as a faster road to the Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Would you trade our 4th and next years 1st for Jalen Hurts? Eagles wouldn't do it. See I could turn it around. Hurts 53rd pick.

Huh......Fields is no Hurts and Fields has proved nothing except the fact that he runs instead of passes. That is not what i want from my Qb. And answer yourself this. If the Bears are willing to trade him what does that tell you about Feilds? He cannot play qb. I am not all over Hurts either. I think the Eagles are going to hit a big thud next year. They are going to play a much harder schedule and i think they will have a wake up call. I still think Hurts has  a kryptonite. You keep him in the pocket and make him run to his left and he is not the same guy. I will say that he will take a big step back next year. I am not into knighting a guy after one great year

They need picks because  that team has no talent on either  side of the ball. Trading fields and taking young or stroud doesn’t accomplish that. Young’s arm isn’t that great to play in that Chicago weather. Fields running kind of gives them a cheat  code when weather is really bad. His arm is really strong too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

With Shane as our new HC I don’t think Irsay would have any problem with it.  He might view the trade as a faster road to the Super Bowl.

After their love fest with Jay Cutler and Mitch Trubisky fizzling out, I am going to just stay away from Da Bears QBs, to be safe. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Huh......Fields is no Hurts and Fields has proved nothing except the fact that he runs instead of passes. That is not what i want from my Qb. And answer yourself this. If the Bears are willing to trade him what does that tell you about Feilds? He cannot play qb. I am not all over Hurts either. I think the Eagles are going to hit a big thud next year. They are going to play a much harder schedule and i think they will have a wake up call. I still think Hurts has  a kryptonite. You keep him in the pocket and make him run to his left and he is not the same guy. I will say that he will take a big step back next year. I am not into knighting a guy after one great year

Hurts wasn't even that good his 1st 2 years is my point. You are not even giving Fields a chance. Put Fields on Philly and they make the playoffs at worse with that roster and coaching. 

• Like 1

Let's say the Bears would part with Fields for our 35th pick. Can you imagine what Steichen could do with Fields as far as designed runs would go? This would take a lot of pressure off of our line until it can improve. Plus, are teams going to stack the box as much against Taylor if they know the QB can run too? This would also setup some great opportunities for our receivers with play-action.

• Like 1

Just now, philba101 said:

Let's say the Bears would part with Fields for our 35th pick. Can you imagine what Steichen could do with Fields as far as designed runs would go? This would take a lot of pressure off of our line until it can improve. Plus, are teams going to stack the box as much against Taylor if they know the QB can run too? This would also setup some great opportunities for our receivers with play-action.

35th I might might consider it if Chicago tosses in their third to go with… otherwise, no

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I hope we draft Young and call it a day :thmup:

Do you think Young will still be available at #4 or do you think the Colts should trade up to make sure they get him? Of the top three QB's, I feel like he may be the least likely to still be available at #4.

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

35th pick would be ideal but in reality you have to give them the perfect reason to trade Fields.  They take the quarterback they want at 1 and get the ER they want at 4.  That’s a win win trade in my mind.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Would you trade our 4th and next years 1st for Jalen Hurts? Eagles wouldn't do it. See I could turn it around. Hurts 53rd pick.

I'd trade this year's 1st and next years first and the following years first and give them any other player we have for Jalen Hurts.

And they still wouldn't do it.  He's an elite QB and there are only ever about 5 of those guys.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hurts wasn't even that good his 1st 2 years is my point. You are not even giving Fields a chance. Put Fields on Philly and they make the playoffs at worse with that roster and coaching. 

Hurts was a good rookie.  A great sophomore and and an elite 3rd year player. 

One issue with trading for Fields rather than drafting one of this year's crop is that Fields is that you only have 2 more years on Field's cheaper rookie contract.

Means having to pay big bucks faster.

I think if you like one of the draftables you take him. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I'd trade this year's 1st and next years first and the following years first and give them any other player we have for Jalen Hurts.

And they still wouldn't do it.  He's an elite QB and there are only ever about 5 of those guys.

Hurts was a good rookie.  A great sophomore and and an elite 3rd year player. 

It took him 3 years though to really stand out.

2 minutes ago, Gigc said:

One issue with trading for Fields rather than drafting one of this year's crop is that Fields is that you only have 2 more years on Field's cheaper rookie contract.

Yes, you would have to pay Fields sooner. The trade off would be possibly skipping the two years that it typically takes a drafted QB to develop. We know that Fields can play on the NFL level. We don't know this about any of the draftees yet. If you draft a QB and then after 2-3 years you realize he is a miss, then you will be back to square one again.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gigc said:

I would take Fields under those circumstances any day.  That means you have your quarterback.  Mission accomplished.  The earlier the better.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I just watched highlights of Young on NFL network.  On every touchdown throw the receiver was wide open by like 3 yards.  Looked too easy.

I noticed this some while watching Stroud film too. I was impressed that he seemed to be able to make all the throws, but also wondered how much he benefitted from the skilled receivers that surrounded him. Either way, I liked what I saw.

No.

Ive been on record as saying that Fields will be good eventually. But to spend the number 4 overall pick to get him when he hasn’t yet reached his potential and there are QBs available that can be just as good or better, would be risky.

Id trade a pick in the 20s for him though. #4 overall is too much though.