Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Trade the #4 Pick for Justin Fields?

philba101

3 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

This would be good for the colts. Have to give up a lot less at 2 for stroud or Levis at 2. Bears are going to get a nice return trading form twice. Or maybe they stay at 2. If bears stay at two colts wouldn’t either be able to stay at 4 and get stroud or Levis or move to 3 to avoid another team trading up.

Thank Lovi. That last win  cost them a lot  lol.  

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Hooked and Stroud are very similar. Hooker ran more.

You are funny.

Our HC has a system for whoever we draft, and it will require lots of quick accurate passes. Herdon could be that guy.

Hooker is not near as good of an NFL prospect as Stroud imo. Stroud is more accurate and has better intangibles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

But I ask again. What has Fields done that gives u any confidence he will develop as a passer???

What Fields has or has or hasn't done is not the point I am trying to make. A QB can help a player develop but it is ultimately the coaching staffs job to get the most out of players. Not the QB's job.

To answer your question, I don't think Fields is in the right situation to reach his full potential. The Bears are known for not developing QB's. His supporting cast is not very good. I think with the right Coach he would be a good QB especially with the way the game is being played now. But I would rather draft our future. If Ballard does trade for Fields I would completely understand especially with this draft class. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

What Fields has or has or hasn't done is not the point I am trying to make. A QB can help a player develop but it is ultimately the coaching staffs job to get the most out of players. Not the QB's job.

To answer your question, I don't think Fields is in the right situation to reach his full potential. The Bears are known for not developing QB's. His supporting cast is not very good. I think with the right Coach he would be a good QB especially with the way the game is being played now. But I would rather draft our future. If Ballard does trade for Fields I would completely understand especially with this draft class. 

Sit at and take best player.  The only guy I like is Richardson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aaron86 said:

Trading for fields would be worse than trading for Wentz. AT least wentz could pass a bit at times, but I am completely unimpressed with fields passing ability. Even jacoby Brissett passes better than Fields.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Trading for fields would be worse than trading for Wentz. AT least wentz could pass a bit at times, but I am completely unimpressed with fields passing ability. Even jacoby Brissett passes better than Fields.

You’re comparing Jacoby Brissett, now with 7 seasons experience, with a top OL, one of the best running game, and good receivers to…..

Justin Fields, now with TWO years experience, with a bad OL, a poor running game, and not very good receivers….

Anyone else see a problem with this comparison?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The reason Qb1 and Qb2 come off the board is the Bears take a quarterback followed by the Texans taking a quarterback.  That was the premise of the back and forth.  If that happens what does Ballard do?  No chance for either of them.  Then trading for Fields becomes an option versus Qb3.

I don't there there is much of a chance of the Bears taking a QB.  Especially in this draft.   None of them look like sure things, in fact, I don't think any of them will be great QB's.  

7 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'd take fields in a heartbeat.  Mostly because he took big leaps in his growth last season.   Another leap in his 3rd season is likely, especially on a new team.  

Fields last season:

60.4 pass completions

TD's 17 (another 8 rushing - Total - 25

INT's - 11

Rating - 85.2

Rushing yards - 1143

The same stat categories from 2021:

58.9 pass completions

TD's 7 (another 2 rushing - Total - 9

INT's - 10

Rating - 73.2

Rushing yards - 420

Brissett may pass better than Fields but it is not allot better.   Fields rushing ability makes him much better than Brissett.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stephen said:

Well I don't think they are going to trade for fields.

Look at how many times this past season Ryan threw for 200+ and we still lost those games.

My case for Fields is he doesn't have much help and it's not his job to develop players, not trading for him. Look at all of the statistics not just passing yards. Actually look at the Bears overall statistics.

Fields is on a bad team. And will most likely have a short career because of the the organization he is in. Unless another team can save him. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You’re comparing Jacoby Brissett, now with 7 seasons experience, with a top OL, one of the best running game, and good receivers to…..

Justin Fields, now with TWO years experience, with a bad OL, a poor running game, and not very good receivers….

Thank you! And I am not a fan for trading for him. I just get the reasons why Ballard would want to with this QB draft class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

Well I don't think they are going to trade for fields.

Look at how many times this past season Ryan threw for 200+ and we still lost those games.

My case for Fields is he doesn't have much help and it's not his job to develop players, not trading for him. Look at all of the statistics not just passing yards. Actually look at the Bears overall statistics.

Fields is on a bad team. And will most likely have a short career because of the the organization he is in. Unless another team can save him. 

Yep, his is on a bad team and he still had an OK season.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brissett was still better behind 2017 oline

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sit at and take best player.  The only guy I like is Richardson

AR is not a sure thing. I love his ceiling but he is a huge gamble with a 1st rounder. If you don't like fields and we draft AR you better buckle up because you are going to see much of the same thing until he develops. 

1 minute ago, Aaron86 said:

AR is not a sure thing. I love his ceiling but he is a huge gamble with a 1st rounder. If you don't like fields and we draft AR you better buckle up because you are going to see much of the same thing until he develops. 

I guarantee hed pass for more than 7 tds his rookie year if he played.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

The one thing Brissett is missing in his game, Is the wow factor. He had all the ability just never took the next step. If the Bears do the right thing and build around Fields he will have a better career then Brissett. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aaron86 said:

I mean the Bears are a mess. And the one Bright spot they have people want diminish. They need to build around him.

I can agree that the bears are a mess. The poor team and poor coaching may take a while to fix with fields if he went to another team

• Like 1

Just now, Aaron86 said:

The one thing Brissett is missing in his game, Is the wow factor. He had all the ability just never took the next step. If the Bears do the right thing and build around Fields he will have a better career then Brissett. 

Brisset has a slow release as well. Fields has more upside but it remains to be seen if they will put the proper talent around him

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stephen said:

He had a bad season. 

No he didn't.   In fact, I would argue he had a good season when you think of the crap show team he was on.  

60.4 pass completions

INT's - 11

Rating - 85.2

Rushing yards - 1143

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Brisset has a slow release as well. Fields has more upside but it remains to be seen if they will put the proper talent around him

He just needs some help. The Bears staff is the problem with Fields not the other way around. 

5 minutes ago, Myles said:

No he didn't.   In fact, I would argue he had a good season when you think of the crap show team he was on.  

60.4 pass completions

INT's - 11

Rating - 85.2

Rushing yards - 1143

He had a great season running. 17 tds isnt good though. That is below league average. Like Big Ben early in his career. 85.2 rating is average

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

He had a great season running. 17 tds isnt good though. That is below league average. Like Big Ben early in his career. 85.2 rating is average

The Bears were a bad team.   85.2 rating is average, but on a team that bad it is closer to being good.  

He did have a great rushing season.   Mostly out of necessity.  

What impressed me is the jump in every passing category he made from his rookie year.   I would expect the improving trend will continue (probably not to the same degree) and his rating will be over 90 next season.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Actually….    He wasn’t.    There’s only one category where Brissett was better in 17 than he was in 22.   Total passing yards.   And that’s because JB started 15 games in 2017, but only started 11 games last year for the Browns.   That’s because DeShaun Watson came back to start the final 5 games of the 22 season.    Otherwise, Brissett’s completion percent jumped 5 points from 59 to 64.   

All I’m saying is these comparisons can get very tricky.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I can agree that the bears are a mess. The poor team and poor coaching may take a while to fix with fields if he went to another team

He could hit the ground running in Baltimore. They should move on from their "problem" and go after Fields. And i hope they do.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Sorry….   I may have misunderstood you…. 

If your new argument is that 2017 Brissett was better than 2022 Fields,  I would disagree.    

Because the passing stats were similar, but Fields ran for more than 1100 yards.   

What I don’t understand is this….   I believe you’re a supporter of the Colts taking Richardson?   Fields is now where the Colts would hope Richardson would be in two years.   And that’s if things go well.  

I believe Fields will get better when he’s surrounded by better talent.   Fields was a much better passer at Ohio State when he had better talent.  So I think he still has plenty of upside.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If your new argument is that 2017 Brissett was better than 2022 Fields,  I would disagree.    

Because the passing stats were similar, but Fields ran for more than 1100 yards.   

What I don’t understand is this….   I believe you’re a supporter of the Colts taking Richardson?   Fields is now where the Colts would hope Richardson would be in two years.   And that’s if things go well.  
I believe Fields will get better when he’s surrounded by better talent.   Fields was a much better passer at Ohio State when he had better talent.  So I think he still has plenty of upside.  

In year 3 his stats will be improved even without better talent.   Typically a young QB's stats trend up in year 2 and 3.  

20 minutes ago, Myles said:

In year 3 his stats will be improved even without better talent.   Typically a young QB's stats trend up in year 2 and 3.  

Yes,  agreed.    Too many posters here think a young quarterback is all he’s going to be after year 2.   That a young QB won’t improve much more.   

Quite often, the opposite is true.  

1 hour ago, Aaron86 said:

Ar is more athletically gifted and shows  pocket awareness. He improved as the year  went on. Fields did not 

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was saying he was a better passer than fields not runner. Also If things go well Richardson will perform at a much higher level year 2 than fields because if he were selected by us we are a better team thsn chicago.

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

ALSO fields held on to the ball an average of 3.03 seconds which may becpart of the reason his oline ended up as bad as it was. He has to releasecthe ball faster

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Ar is more athletically gifted and shows  pocket awareness. He improved as the year  went on. Fields did not 

Looking at last season, Fields did improve as the year went on.  Most stats trended for the better.   There were outliers but 5 of his games with a passer rating over 90 were from week 8 on.  Only 1 in the first 7 games.  Completion % weeks 2 through 4 - 52.0%.   For weeks 13 through 15 - 71.0%

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I think he has more upside too. But AR is going to be a project and if you don't have the right staff and plan in place he is going to bust. But he definitely does have the ability to be a monster as long as he keeps his head in the game.