Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated: Colts hire Shane Steichen as their new HC (Merged)

CR91

10 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

And look at what he did with Herbert while also having Ekeler. Herbert led the league in pass attempts. I guess giving facts and stats is crap now. You're going to interpret it however you choose, which is fine. It's wrong though.

I don't follow.  I would expect a QB to have more pass attempts having Ekelar at RB than having JT at RB.  The fact is that Ekelar is a better pass catcher than JT (and JT the better runner).  If you think they are the same, and JT may turn out to be, at this point that opinion is not rooted in stats or facts but wishes.

Based upon what I've seen, we will run the ball with JT a lot next year, and throw contested catch passes to our wideouts and TEs.  The players may take the next step in their natural development, like Raimann did this past year.  I hope so.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, #12. said:

Special teams and turnovers also - 14 off the fumble and punt return.  

On that punt return....

The Eagles had a 3rd and one and the RB (forgot which one) really made a horrible move and missed the first down by a foot. Should have easily made it. Then they get the penalty that the KC linemen seemed to "alert " the refs to. Pretty close call. So now they have to throw instead of sneak it. On the punt , a Philly special teamer should have easily made the tackle and hence the return. Could be KC scores anyway but at the least it took away a opportunity for Philly to score.

2 minutes ago, #12. said:

Has it crossed anyone's mind that Steichen might take Young, Levis or Stroud and try some new things, you know, keep evolving?   

I feel like that's more of the expectation than anything. He's shown the ability to adjust his offense to work with completely different QBs and have a lot of success, so I would think the same would hold true here. I don't think he'd try to force us into getting someone that can be his Hurts in our offense, but I think you can look at the Eagle's offense as a framework for what ours will most likely look like.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If Steichen tailors the offense to the personnel, then we will be a running team.  Until the personnel changes or evolves, if that's possible.  

This is fair. But this is not a problem of the coach. In fact, I would like for my coach to be able to use our players' strengths rather than trying to fit round pegs into square holes. This sounds like more of a problem with roster building(aka the GM). 

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Ekelar's game is based on his versatility, IMO.

Look, I like the hire,...he was my favorite candidate. If we start seeing some trades of our players or free agent shuffling of the roster I will get more excited about the potential changes next season than simply replacing the HC and OC.  

Steichen has a lot of work to do.

I think the QB has oversized impact on a lot of things when it comes to style of play. Ekeler is versatile but it's not like it's Ekeler that dictated what type of offense they were running. The biggest factor by a huge margin was the QB IMO. Just like the biggest factor in Philly was the QB. 

Just now, Shive said:

I feel like that's more of the expectation than anything. He's shown the ability to adjust his offense to work with completely different QBs and have a lot of success, so I would think the same would hold true here. I don't think he'd try to force us into getting someone that can be his Hurts in our offense, but I think you can look at the Eagle's offense as a framework for what ours will most likely look like.

I don't see the Richardson thing at all.  You take the best QB available and go from there.  

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't follow.  I would expect a QB to have more pass attempts having Ekelar at RB than having JT at RB.  The fact is that Ekelar is a better pass catcher than JT (and JT the better runner).  If you think they are the same, and JT may turn out to be, at this point that opinion is not rooted in stats or facts but wishes.

Based upon what I've seen, we will run the ball with JT a lot next year, and throw contested catch passes to our wideouts and TEs.  The players may take the next step in their natural development, like Raimann did this past year.  I hope so.

JT will be extended because they most likely will draft a qb high and a RB can take off the pressure. Make a trade for a top guy like Higgins and then get a center and RG and that is assuming that Rainmann is the guy.

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

Has it crossed anyone's mind that Steichen might take Young, Levis or Stroud and try some new things, you know, keep evolving?   

That’s the wonderful thing about Steichen he has had success with all types of quarterbacks.

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

JT will be extended because they most likely will draft a qb high and a RB can take off the pressure. Make a trade for a top guy like Higgins and then get a center and RG and that is assuming that Rainmann is the guy.

We already  have our Higgins.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

This is fair. But this is not a problem of the coach. In fact, I would like for my coach to be able to use our players' strengths rather than trying to fit round pegs into round holes. This sounds like more of a problem with roster building(aka the GM). 

I think the QB has oversized impact on a lot of things when it comes to style of play. Ekeler is versatile but it's not like it's Ekeler that dictated what type of offense they were running. The biggest fact bu a huge margin was the QB IMO. Just like the biggest factor in Philly was the QB. 

My point over the last several pages is to agree with the idea that Steichen uses his personnel to their abilities. 

Based upon our personnel, how many think we are going to be a running team, or a passing team, so how does this hire make things transformational in how it looks? 

Maybe we take Stroud at 4, or trade down and draft Tanner McKee, and it becomes a pocket passing down field offense, like Jared Goff and the Detroit Lions?   Or we take Bryce Young and try to move him sideways a lot until something opens up, like Mahomes?

Or are we going to hand the ball to JT a lot?

Just now, tvturner said:

A top QB in R1 and Hyatt in R2 if he falls that far? A dream scenario

I'd be good with this. Hyatt looked very dynamic to me. There are quite a few dynamic WRs in the second round range. Some of them are lacking size... so still no idea if Ballard would draft a small receiver... 

I guess I would say if Steichen is any good he will make adjustments to the offense based on the skills or our players.  I think that is what happened in Philly.  And if he - or his OC - can't do that then they aren't very good at what they do.

If we keep JT and he is effective there is no reason to rely on the QB carrying the running load.  It doesn't mean the QB can't run a few times.  And Hurts threw vertical a number of times this year.  

I don't understand why people think what Philly is doing is all Steichen has in hi pocket?

20 minutes ago, #12. said:

I don't see the Richardson thing at all.  You take the best QB available and go from there.  

I can see where some look at what Hurts was able to do with the designed runs in that offense, project Richardson in that role, and get excited. There's definitely some stuff I've seen from Richardson (aside from the athleticism) that make me like him as a QB prospect, but I do think he's way more of a project than Ballard will be willing to draft that high up.

26 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Is your QB going to be your best player on O or the RB?  If you extend JT as if he is Derrick Henry, there is no reason to pick a QB at 4.  JMO.  (Maybe if you're going for that SB window and the rook balls out in year 3)

We'll see how Ballard plays it.  My guess is that Steichen understands that trade off better than Ballard.

15 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I am really out of the loop. Had no idea Steichen was a QB in college. No wonder he had been so good with quarterbacks.

Wow, an ex QB, just like Frank.

So our next coach is an ex-QB who was the OC on Philly's SB team...who this year worked under the Colts previous OC under Frank. 

Ballard's coaching tree doesn't branch away from Reich very much does it.   LOL.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is your QB going to be your best player on O or the RB?  If you extend JT as if he is Derrick Henry, there is no reason to pick a QB at 4.  JMO.  (Maybe if you're going for that SB window and the rook balls out in year 3)

We'll see how Ballard plays it.  My guess is that Steichen understands that trade off better than Ballard.

Oh. C'mon now. Why not have both? I remember enjoying Peyton and Edge at the same time. Elway won his first or second Super Bowl when he had Terrell Davis...

16 minutes ago, Shive said:

I can see where some look at what Hurts was able to do with the designed runs in that offense, project Richardson in that role, and get excited. There's definitely some stuff I've seen from Richardson (aside from the athleticism) that make me like him as a QB prospect, but I do think he's way more of a project than Ballard will be willing to draft that high up.

Hot take... the better Richardson's comp is Josh Allen, not Hurts. (I've been mentioning Hurts a lot in this thread simply because of his connection to our new HC) But at his best, Richardson would be something in the realm of Josh Allen. IMO he has more potential as a passer than Hurts, even though he's not particularly close to that level right now. And he has similarly long path as Josh Allen did... he was about as bad of a passer as Richardson was in college, too... 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/13/super-bowl-57-takeaways-eagles-chiefs-mmqb

Here's interesting piece about the Colts HC search(it sounds like the Colts followed a good solid process and contrary to some of Irsay's remarks earlier they seem to still value analytics... thank god... ):

The Colts were maligned for their process, but I actually think a lot of it, in the end, made sense. After an exhaustive five-week search, here’s some more on what was a very different, and thorough, set of proceedings:

• The process started with first-round candidates going through four-hour interviews over Zoom with GM Chris Ballard, vice chair Carlie Irsay-Gordon, assistant GM Ed Dodds, director of team development Brian Decker, HR chief Jasmine Park and president Pete Ward. Those interviews were, for the most part, standard.

• The second round, done in person, started with that same search committee, plus PR chief Matt Conti. Candidates were shuttled through different departments (strength and conditioning, training, etc.) and spent time with each, with the search committee sitting in on those meetings as well.

• The biggest difference in the second go-round was the amount of one-on-one time spent with Irsay, after Irsay had essentially sat out the first round of interviews. I’ve heard some of those one-on-ones went for around four hours.

• One of the more interesting elements to the process, according to a couple of candidates I spoke with, was the game-management and analytics drilling they went through. The Colts had senior football strategy analyst George Li put situations up on tape and go through them with each candidate, with the rest of the group watching.

So, yes, the process was a different one, and did feel, for a while, like it might be aimless, or even just an effort to get Irsay to look at guys who weren’t named Jeff Saturday. But in the end, it sounds like most of the candidates who went through it enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Coming to an end? The Jet tracking season is just starting... there are about 5 QBs we are likely to fly to Indy for in person workouts and visits. Hang on tight and get the :popcorn:

WELL IM GLAD THE HEAD COACH TALK IS ALMOST OVER. SORRY I WASNT CLEAR ON THAT ONE. I WAS CLIPPING MY TOE NAILS AND TYPING AT THE SAME TIME. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/02/13/super-bowl-57-takeaways-eagles-chiefs-mmqb

Here's interesting piece about the Colts HC search(it sounds like the Colts followed a good solid process and contrary to some of Irsay's remarks earlier they seem to still value analytics... thank god... ):

brad pitt ok GIF

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Yes but who knows. Whatever happens, it won’t be seen much this first year, it’ll take a full season to come into its own. Who ever is at QB that is

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'd be good with this. Hyatt looked very dynamic to me. There are quite a few dynamic WRs in the second round range. Some of them are lacking size... so still no idea if Ballard would draft a small receiver... 

Will we even have a 2nd round pick is my question though? I doubt it if we move up any spaces.

2 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

JMV had a guy from Philly on his show tonight. He said he does expect Steichen to continue calling plays.

So did his boss until he learned that’s not the way to go. I think Shane will notice if it’s working or not quicker 

I love this hire if this is where we’re going.

he’s a great play caller.  When Doug Peterson was calling the plays, the eagles offense was meh.  When steichen took over, they took off. Not too worried about his scheming because that will come with the OC.  But as far as playcalling, he’s elite.  If he chooses to let the oc do it then so be it.  But I know if he has to do it, no worries there

he has a proven record developing qbs.  He was there for herbert and we see what hurts has become.  I trust that he can develop whatever qb we pick.

he passionate and will get in your face.  Let’s hold these players accountable.  Don’t want to see another Pryor situation.  

we have the coach who has proven when given talent he can make it happen on offense.  Now ballard need to show up on his part. 

22 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

WELL IM GLAD THE HEAD COACH TALK IS ALMOST OVER. SORRY I WASNT CLEAR ON THAT ONE. I WAS CLIPPING MY TOE NAILS AND TYPING AT THE SAME TIME. 

This was way funnier than it should have been. Imagining someone yelling that.....:lol:

18 minutes ago, csmopar said:

So did his boss until he learned that’s not the way to go. I think Shane will notice if it’s working or not quicker 

There is a difference. Sirriani never called plays so he might just be bad at it. So he said I am no good let’s give it to a proven play caller. Shane has been good at play calling unlike Sirriani.

If I live to be 100 I will not understand the thinking of hiring a good offensive mind with a track record of success as a play caller and then wanting him to have his OC be the one who calls the plays.   

People here are so fixed on Fran Reich that they fear history repeating itself.   Look at the rest of the league… 

Andy Reid, calls the plays. 
Sean McVay, calls the plays. 
Kyle Shannahan, calls the plays.

Green Bay HC: calls the plays. 
Cincy HC, calls the plays. 
Doug Pederson, calls the plays.

Miami HC, calls the plays 

Brian Daboll, calls the plays.

How many examples do you need?

And all because you didn’t like Frank as the play caller.   Just because it didn’t work for one guy doesn’t mean it doesn’t work elsewhere as this post demonstrates. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I live to be 100 I will not understand the thinking of hiring a good offensive mind with a track record of success as a play caller and then wanting him to have his OC be the one who calls the plays.   

People here are so fixed on Fran Reich that they fear history repeating itself.   Look at the rest of the league… 

Andy Reid, calls the plays. 
Sean McVay, calls the plays. 
Kyle Shannahan, calls the plays.

Green Bay HC: calls the plays. 
Cincy HC, calls the plays. 
Doug Pederson, calls the plays.

Miami HC, calls the plays 

Brian Daboll, calls the plays.

How many examples do you need?

And all because you didn’t like Frank as the play caller.   Just because it didn’t work for one guy doesn’t mean it doesn’t work elsewhere as this post demonstrates. 

Reid admitted that Bienemy called the plays starting sometime during this season. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Wow, an ex QB, just like Frank.

So our next coach is an ex-QB who was the OC on Philly's SB team...who this year worked under the Colts previous OC under Frank. 

Ballard's coaching tree doesn't branch away from Reich very much does it.   LOL.

Comparing Steichen to Reich is just lazy.

Archived