Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts have 4th pick (Official Discussion Thread)

danlhart87

1 hour ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I have said it for awhile I don’t seem him understanding the gravity that is being the face of the franchise. Nothing character related. But I get the feeling he will get swallowed up by the league. Seems to much of a goofball to me. 

• Replies 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

You've been our MVP, Chloe. Thanks for posting all the news and tweets... and for pushing this thread towards the 500 mark :P

Agreed.  This thread would be 200 pages without @Restinpeacesweetchloe tweets and news but those are so worth it.

TY Chloe!

(I was out to dinner with my girlfriend and said something about the draft and get this.  She said "who does the girl with the golden think they'll take?"  lol.   She even knows you just from peeking over my shoulder every so often.)

21 hours ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

With Ballard mentioning they could still trade up I have a feeling there is one they want over the other two. Or there is one they don’t want.

According to Zach Hicks he believes there is already a handshake agreement with colts and AZ.

good find

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler has heard Kentucky QB Will Levis had a positive meeting with the Texans and his personality meshed well with GM Nick Caserio. However, the rest of the league still guesses the Texans will go defense with the No. 2 pick if they can’t trade down, which they aren’t expected to be able to. Houston has kept a pretty tight lid on their plans. One NFC exec told Fowler: “No one knows what they are doing.”

4 minutes ago, philba101 said:

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler has heard Kentucky QB Will Levis had a positive meeting with the Texans and his personality meshed well with GM Nick Caserio. However, the rest of the league still guesses the Texans will go defense with the No. 2 pick if they can’t trade down, which they aren’t expected to be able to. Houston has kept a pretty tight lid on their plans. One NFC exec told Fowler: “No one knows what they are doing.”

Another thing about Levis is hes from Massachussets. Caserio from Patriots. Connection. See why they clicked.

1 minute ago, IrsaysArmy said:

Titans are going to trade to 3. Probably going to ruin my night 

This would not surprise me. They fired their GM 3/4 of the way through the year last season and he had a good record. The way they finished the season losing their final 7 games did not sit well with ownership (remember when the Colts lost their final two and missed playoffs). This team is ready for change and I think Vrabel is jut bold enough to swing for the fences to do it.

16 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Agreed.  This thread would be 200 pages without @Restinpeacesweetchloe tweets and news but those are so worth it.

TY Chloe!

(I was out to dinner with my girlfriend and said something about the draft and get this.  She said "who does the girl with the golden think they'll take?"  lol.   She even knows you just from peeking over my shoulder every so often.)

It was a great day when i put the repetitive nonsense on IGNORE.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I normally take my mother to the senior center for line dancing on Thursday nights.

Should I be making other arrangements?

If that's true dude that's awesome.

No take yo momma line dancing and follow it on your Cell. 

Multiple sources anticipate the Texans opting to go with a defensive end instead of Stroud with those opinions echoed throughout the past month and this week. One league source noted Wednesday night that the Texans have conducted significant due diligence in recent days and weeks about Stroud and have debated the merits of potentially drafting him. They have also discussed, should they not pick Stroud, how they might obtain a quarterback in the draft or via a trade given the wide gamut of opinions on Stroud, a tall, strong-armed pocket passer who showed some ability to go off-script during an impressive performance against Georgia’s elite defense.

If the Texans were to draft Stroud, sources emphasized, it would be considered a major surprise at this point and a departure from the direction they’ve been headed in during the latter stages of the draft process. Not drafting Stroud is not expected to have anything to do with him being represented by David Mulugheta, former Texans Pro Bowl quarterback Deshaun Watson’s Austin-based agent. It would simply be a football decision based on Stroud’s ability to process on the fly, read defenses and run the Kyle Shanahan-Gary Kubiak offense being installed by offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2023/04/27/nfl-sources-texans-most-likely-draft-scenarios-focus-on-will-anderson-tyree-wilson-and-why-they-may-pass-on-qb/

Even on draft day. Things are as clear as mud.

2 hours ago, Nevbot said:

One thing that I presume the S2 test does not account for is integration into a plan.  It measures only visual perception and reaction times.  

So if this is inherently an issue with CJ Stroud (which it seems to be based on the test), the proper system and coaching and volume of reps in the system should do a number of things to overcome this poor S2 score:

Alleviate the need to make a high volume of second reaction plays, but hammer his safety outlets so that it is in his muscle memory.  Build a strong system around CJ's strength that involve pure pocket passing. 

Surround him with the supporting cast to succeed.  He has shown at OS that he can succeed with flying colors when the situation is right.

So if he is slow to react and see certain things on the field based on the test- how much can an elite arm talent make up for a lot of those shortcomings?  Sure he may read things late, but he certainly has the arm talent to make up for it,  You even see it in the Georgia tape...but he still makes the plays. 

If Stroud falls to us I think he is the pick, but I am not expecting it to fall that way

Slower reaction is never going to made up for in a drop back passing game.  From what I've seen the dude is a pocket passer.  If the S2 indicates what the people using it are saying it does, I have a hard time seeing Stroud as a really good NFL starter.  The game is just going to be too fast for him.  He's not a great athlete so isn't going to be a dual threat type of guy.  

If Stroud can't process quickly, no amount of film etc is going to be adequate to play at an NFL caliber, contending type of QB IMO.   Think Jacoby.  I'd love to see an S2 for him.  I'd be dollars to doughnuts it's on the slow end. 

I don't know if this test indicates what it is believed to indicate, but if it does, huge red flag on Stroud for me.  After the GA game, he was the one I wanted, but slow processing speed would  be a logical reason for the criticisms I heard about him before I heard of the S2 test.   To me it would be like trying to use a QB that was great at everything else but just didn't have the arm strength to get the ball where his brain said it needed to be.  

To me, if you can't process quickly, you can't be a pocket passing NFL QB highly successfully.  

Now a dual threat guy would be different.  The offense Jackson runs for instance is often no read, 1 read, or half field reads with the RPO stuff. 

Stroud could be good but he's going to need protection.

You can't send him out there with the current Oline and have him get sacked 9 times in one game like Sam or carried off the field on a stretcher like Foles or have a grade 2 shoulder separation like Ryan.

Ballard will have to draft a center, a tackle and a guard and rebuild this Oline.

Just now, PRnum1 said:

You can't send him out there with the current Oline and have him get sacked 9 times like Sam or carried off the field on a stretcher like Foles or have a grade 2 shoulder separation like Ryan.

Ballard will have to draft a center, a tackle and a guard and rebuild this Oline.

Agreed, If we don't fix the line and it plays near the level it did last year, it won't matter who we put out there at QB.

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

You can't send him out there with the current Oline and have him get sacked 9 times like Sam or carried off the field on a stretcher like Foles or have a grade 2 shoulder separation like Ryan.

Something to remember is that OSU system kept him in the pocket. Maybe a nfl coach gets ahold of him and gives him more freedom to use his legs. He can clearly do it.

33 minutes ago, ColtsUrUs said:

Levis pocket presence is terrible. For him to be this smart and being coached by NFL coaches he didn't improve in that part of his game. He makes bad decisions. And I don't want a QB on my team to sacrifice his body for a first down and then be out for 2 weeks because of it. That's hero ball and the Colts don't need that. 

I enjoyed watching Archie Manning's On the Clock piece on Levis. Peyton and Eli were watching his film and liked his pocket presence. 

Just wondering if you watched him a lot and are judging him with context?

Or just repeating the informed writers.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

I enjoyed watching Archie Manning's On the Clock piece on Levis. Peyton and Eli were watching his film and liked his pocket presence. 

Just wondering if you watched him a lot and are judging him with context?

Or just repeating the informed writers.

Peyton loves Levis a lot,like you said they think he has very good pocket presence. 

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Slower reaction is never going to made up for in a drop back passing game.  From what I've seen the dude is a pocket passer.  If the S2 indicates what the people using it are saying it does, I have a hard time seeing Stroud as a really good NFL starter.  The game is just going to be too fast for him.  He's not a great athlete so isn't going to be a dual threat type of guy.  

If Stroud can't process quickly, no amount of film etc is going to be adequate to play at an NFL caliber, contending type of QB IMO.   Think Jacoby.  I'd love to see an S2 for him.  I'd be dollars to doughnuts it's on the slow end. 

I don't know if this test indicates what it is believed to indicate, but if it does, huge red flag on Stroud for me.  After the GA game, he was the one I wanted, but slow processing speed would  be a logical reason for the criticisms I heard about him before I heard of the S2 test.   To me it would be like trying to use a QB that was great at everything else but just didn't have the arm strength to get the ball where his brain said it needed to be.  

To me, if you can't process quickly, you can't be a pocket passing NFL QB highly successfully.  

Now a dual threat guy would be different.  The offense Jackson runs for instance is often no read, 1 read, or half field reads with the RPO stuff. 

Yeah, this is where I’m at. The potential processing issues/low S2 scores have effectively scared me off of Stroud.

Then again, I’ve cooled on AR significantly. And have never been too high on Levis. Oh well, guess I’m gonna have to root for one of ‘em.

8 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

My sister is taking her tonight.  It's been arranged.  They know that this is Christmas In April for me.

Well there you go Mr. Hammonds.  Taking care of momma and doing what you want to do.  That's the best of all possible worlds IMO.  Season 2 Nbc GIF by The Office

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Agreed, If we don't fix the line and it plays near the level it did last year, it won't matter who we put out there at QB.

Preach Neil Degrasse Tyson GIF

It would be disappointing if 3 QB's are gone before the Colts make their selection. They should make move up if need be - no one  is going to remember in a couple of third round picks given up; as opposed to remaining in  NFL purgatory until it finds a Quarterback. 

Texans beat writer Aaron Wilson writes that the Texans are not expected to take Kentucky QB Will Levis with the 2nd or 12th pick contrary to a lot of Internet speculation. He adds that Florida QB Anthony Richardson does not seem to be a serious option for them either, as Houston did not conduct a private visit or workout with him.

https://nfltraderumors.co/latest-on-texans-draft-plans/

I tried to confirm this last part but could not. The Texans met privately with Richardson at the combine but not sure about the private workout.

Archived