Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please don't do this again

lennymoore24

I am all about free speech, but every year I have to be tortured with just bad predictions from Colts fans. Predictions of bad players like Jordan Love going to the Colts.  Or recycling bad coaches.  So can I just ask to consider a few things.

1) When talking about who is going to coach the Colts next year, think about what coach gets the MOST out of the LEAST amount of talent.  Every year NFL teams grab coordinators from teams who were successful.  Well, most of the time it doesn't turn out well. But usually these teams have a good head coach, but more importantly, they have very good talent on the team.  A perfect example of how both Bronco offensive coordinators when Peyton was there got head coaching jobs.  Now, did Peyton dod well in Denver because of them?  No.  They looked better because of him.  And that happens EVERY YEAR!  So when I see guys like Byron Leftwich or Leslie Frazier rumored to go to Colts, it makes makes me cringe.  Leftwich looks good beause of Tom Brady and very good receivers.  Frazier is an already failed NFL HC who runs the defense for the Bills where the offense is high powered, usually playing with the lead, with very good talent on the defensive side of the ball.  So try think outside the box.  If your only candidates are guys running on Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Bucs coattails, then I predict it will be a failure.  Again, who does more with less talent?  I don't like Belichick, but he almost always puts up a good team no matter how bad the talent is.

2) Af far as QBs, you gotta quit looking at college QBs who play against inferior teams, run as much as they throw, and guys are wide open.  Since 2000, only 20% of QBs drafted in the first round become better than average.  Most flat out fail.  And how many times over the years do we hear about a guys great physical abilities but they are raw and need to be "coached up".  Unfortunately, that almost never works in the NFL.  Time to time, a guy like Josh Allen does. But most of the time, it is more like Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  We need a QB who is, first, a passer.  Someone with a quick delivery, accurate, smart, who can read defenses, and is coachable.  If he is mobile, that is a bonus, but a QB should NEVER be rated on how well he runs as a primary.  And you have to consider the talent around the player.  Look at a ugy like Jalen Hurts. I am happy that he is doing well. But he has a VERY GOOD team around him in all aspects.  Most NFL QBs will do well with a good oline, running attack, good receivers, and a good defense. Put Jalen Hurts on the Texans and he would probably look like Davis Mills.  So keep that in mind when evaluating QBs.

That said, I am almost always nervous about taking a QB unless it is a lock like Peyton or Luck. I think Bryce Young is too small like Kyler Murray, I think CJ Stroud is another Ohio State QB who benefits from amazing talent around him and the others are just too raw or limited. The ONLY QB I see in the draft that is worth rolling the dice on is Will Levis from Kentucky. Why?  First of all, he is a VERY smart guy.  I have talked to a few people around him and learned he is very coachable.  He has a rocket arm that seems to be very accurate. He is tough as nails and a good leader.  As a bonus, he is mobile.  Now, he is no sure thing and could easily be another Blake Bortles.  But in watching his game, he plays well with a weaker surrounding cast.  He was hurt most of this year and lost many good players. I think he has a CHANGE to be good.  

As far as head coach, I am torn.  A guy like Harbaugh MIGHT work, but he would want an entire new staff and much power, which I don't see happening. The Colts would have to completely change their defense since Harbaugh likes more of a hybrid 3-4.  I expect that Colts will either promote Ventrone or keep Saturday and bring in a good offensive coordinator. I think a guy who will be a very, very good coach is Kellen Moore.  But only if they could keep Ventrone and Bradley in place.

Finally, I think it is a HUGE mistake to fire Chris Ballard. For people saying we need to clean house, you are completely off the mark. The Colts aren't losing games because lack of talent. You don't crush the Bills last year and beat the Chiefs this year without talent.  Ballard is VERY good at drafting players.  The problem is turnovers.  Need better coaching. I think Reich is a great guy but a little too soft on players.  Belichick sits a guy down the first time they make a mental mistake.  More discipline. In is inexcusable to have 3 very good offensive linemen and perform that badly each week and never seem to fix it.  That is where I think, at the minimum, we need an entirely new offensive staff.  But just remember this. MOST NFL teams don't have a very good GM. There are far more Ryan Grigsons than Chris Ballards.  Robinson was just let go in Tennessee, but if you look at his drafting record, it is not very good. You can't miss on 1st round picks like that.

All I ask is just please examine the whole game, the supporting cast, and evaluate. Don't say what the next guy next to you says.  And remember running QBs look great during the regular season, but I would argue a running QB has never won a Super Bowl. Mahomes is mobile, like Steve Young. But he isn't a runner.  I doubt Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, or Kyler Murray will EVER win a Super Bowl.  They guy who can throw from the pocket accurately is always the best bet.  But please don't torture me with those horrid predictions of bad QBs and bad coaches and GMs.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

So your decision is what? Pray another Peyton Manning comes along in the next 10 years? Doesn't work like that. You can't be afraid to take a chance. There is no such thing as a perfect QB. 

Pray another Manning comes along AND you just happen to have the #1 pick.

The odds of that are high.

7 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

And remember running QBs look great during the regular season, but I would argue a running QB has never won a Super Bowl. Mahomes is mobile, like Steve Young. But he isn't a runner.  I doubt Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, or Kyler Murray will EVER win a Super Bowl. 

It is remarkable how you disparage those guys you mentioned but not others who are not considered runners but also have not won SBs. 

Who do you want to be the quarterback of the Colts?

Lennymoore24 this is actually a very good post and I agree with most of it. The biggest exception is Will Levis, I see Josh Rosen written all over him so no on Levis. Harbaugh is my first choice for coach, all he does is win. Michigan does not have the talent teams from the SEC have or other teams from across the south, but Harbaugh gets the most out of is roster with strategy and execution. Also important to remember Harbaugh took a team to the super bowl when he didn't have a quarterback, a rare feat in this league.

10 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

The thing is…. Most HCs don’t look good without a great to elite QB. Andy Reid didn’t look like and offensive genius until Mahomes. 

I agree with the first part bc HCs typically need a great QB to win SBs. However, Andy Reid did a phenomenal job with Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith who were both above average but not elite QBs. Still, circling back to your first point, he needed an elite QB to win a championship. 

18 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree with the first part bc HCs typically need a great QB to win SBs. However, Andy Reid did a phenomenal job with Donovan McNabb and Alex Smith who were both above average but not elite QBs. Still, circling back to your first point, he needed an elite QB to win a championship. 

I think Andy was very respectable as a HC. Not to say he wasn’t good. I just think the genius label didn’t come until after mahomes.

I have often wondered if Frank would have been the same way if he had himself an elite QB. he did a good job in 2018. I guess we may never know, at least not here in Indy. 

moving on, I’m not sure this team is willing to play another season with Matt Ryan at QB. Nor am I sure Matt Ryan even wants to play another year. I would be shocked if the Colts don’t draft a QB this coming draft. 

56 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

The thing is…. Most HCs don’t look good without a great to elite QB. Andy Reid didn’t look like and offensive genius until Mahomes. 

That’s a absolute lie , Andy Reid has been good with a lot of different guys check what type of numbers he put up with a lot of different players ,one of the best coaches ever his thing was he couldn’t win the big game which he did 

I think the OP simply does not like Jordan love.  Hes not terribly exciting to me but if we miss out on the Qbs in the draft then i could see trading for him.  Hes a 24 year old prospect that needs development, not a sure thing

We could wait years and years looking for a sure thing while we play washed up vets.  

Personally I would go after Levis but wouldnt trade a huge haul of picks for him.  If we miss out im looking at Hooker.  Both are risky, we dont have the luxury of a sure thing this time.

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

That’s a absolute lie , Andy Reid has been good with a lot of different guys check what type of numbers he put up with a lot of different players ,one of the best coaches ever his thing was he couldn’t win the big game which he did 

a lie? Being misinformed doesn’t make something a lie. Maybe an ignorant statement of what I said was untrue. 

I don’t remember anyone calling him an offensive genius until after mahomes…. Offensive genius. 

I never said he was a bad HC, or a failure… 

keyword: Genius. 

hes 5th all time in wins. That’s pretty awesome… I can be wrong without being a liar. 

I don't understand, yes it's true hitting on a very good to elite QB is difficult but doesn't drafting one in the first round increase your chances as opposed to drafting one in later rounds??

And I wasn't aware that ballards  failing is due to turnovers.. You learn.something.new.everyday.

And isn't hiring coaches that come from winning/successful teams more desirable than from bad teams?

OK. Let's list and strike off those that run as much as they throw.

Gotta laugh that Mahommes "isn't a runner". Neither is Rogers. Nor Luck.

My opinion is if a guy can't bust it for ten plus yards pretty easily, i won't have him. You must be able to outrun defensive lineman and most linebackers to extend plays and help with a few good runs. 

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't understand, yes it's true hitting on a very good to elite QB is difficult but doesn't drafting one in the first round increase your chances as opposed to drafting one in later rounds??

And I wasn't aware that ballards  failing is due to turnovers.. You learn.something.new.everyday.

And isn't hiring coaches that come from winning/successful teams more desirable than from bad teams?

It will be interesting to see where we end up picking. I think there are 5 QB's that could be good-great coming out. Then again they could all bust but my 5 would be:

Tier 1

1. Young - IMO hands down the best QB coming out. Great speed, good Accuracy, and a winner. People dwell on he is only 6'0, well so is Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.

2. Stroud - Can be great with the right surroundings. Love his accuracy, he has good speed as well.

Tier 2

3. Duggan - Great Speed and good Accuracy and heart - my sleeper.

4. Levis - A lot of people love this guy including Mel Kiper but I have watched a couple of games he has played in, he didn't really impress me but he could be good. He is inconsistent, great 1 game, then bad the next.

5. Hooker - 5th because of his injury. He is NFL ready but may miss a year due to his injury. He probably would have won Heisman had he not got hurt. Great arm and accuracy.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tier 2

He impressed me with his leadership and heart in the heart crushing loss to KSU. 

He really stepped up for the team and left everything he had on the field. I think end of 2nd or early 3rd would be a good spot to take him. 

But if we pick top 5 we should take a higher ranked qb prospect there. We don't know when we will be picking that high again :dunno:

2 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Yeah that was a pretty silly thing to say. Reid was a HOFer before Mahomes even came along. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It will be interesting to see where we end up picking. I think there are 5 QB's that could be good-great coming out. Then again they could all bust but my 5 would be:

Tier 1

1. Young - IMO hands down the best QB coming out. Great speed, good Accuracy, and a winner. People dwell on he is only 6'0, well so is Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.

2. Stroud - Can be great with the right surroundings. Love his accuracy, he has good speed as well.

Tier 2

4. Levis - A lot of people love this guy including Mel Kiper but I have watched a couple of games he has played in, he didn't really impress me but he could be good. He is inconsistent, great 1 game, then bad the next.

5. Hooker - 5th because of his injury. He is NFL ready but may miss a year due to his injury. He probably would have won Heisman had he not got hurt. Great arm and accuracy.

I still haven't seen or did much watching YouTube on.the QBs, so any comments I make now won't be.very well informed..

But Bryce's size could have him either fall to us or.fall.far enough to make it.easier to trade up for him..

I did see TCU lose the conference championship game..I watched 2nd half knowing you like.Duggan. I know he ran.for a lot of yards and showed heart but to me he lacked on the eye test for passing strength and despite all his rushing yards didn't seem that fast... Do you think he's faster than Stroud or.Bryce?? Are they fast? How do.Stroud, Bryce, and Duggans arm strength compare to.each other?? Naturally I'd like a mobile QB that is mobile and a dual threat but we both know that's not as important as Football IQ and accurate passing. But it will be interesting to see them at the combine as well.as seeing film on them....

I think we have a shot at a Top 5 pick, maybe in '24 also lol. And speaking of '24, what you think of USC QB Caleb Williams? Do you think he's Elite?? Is it ever to early to tank for a elite QB?? haha

I have my doubts on the colts but one can always hope.. It would be great to get a super HC like a Harbaugh and a good GM.....hopefully we get the green light from the Football Gods to change things for the better real soon....but not before we lose to the.Vikings & Giants first. :banana:

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I still haven't seen or did much watching YouTube on.the QBs, so any comments I make now won't be.very well informed..

But Bryce's size could have him either fall to us or.fall.far enough to make it.easier to trade up for him..

I did see TCU lose the conference championship game..I watched 2nd half knowing you like.Duggan. I know he ran.for a lot of yards and showed heart but to me he lacked on the eye test for passing strength and despite all his rushing yards didn't seem that fast... Do you think he's faster than Stroud or.Bryce?? Are they fast? How do.Stroud, Bryce, and Duggans arm strength compare to.each other?? Naturally I'd like a mobile QB that is mobile and a dual threat but we both know that's not as important as Football IQ and accurate passing. But it will be interesting to see them at the combine as well.as seeing film on them....

I think we have a shot at a Top 5 pick, maybe in '24 also lol. And speaking of '24, what you think of USC QB Caleb Williams? Do you think he's Elite?? Is it ever to early to tank for a elite QB?? haha

I have my doubts on the colts but one can always hope.. It would be great to get a super HC like a Harbaugh and a good GM.....hopefully we get the green light from the Football Gods to change things for the better real soon....but not before we lose to the.Vikings & Giants first. :banana:

Duggan runs a 4.5 40, he is faster than Stroud, Levis, or Hooker. Young is 4.4 speed. I like many would prefer an accurate QB with a quick release, all of these QB's have been accurate with the exception of Levis. 

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Duggan runs a 4.5 40, he is faster than Stroud, Levis, or Hooker. Young is 4.4 speed. I like many would prefer an accurate QB with a quick release, all of these QB's have been accurate with the exception of Levis. 

Levis  has been around 65%. Not sure where your getting he hasn’t been accurate. Richardson  in has been the one who is inaccurate at around 53% which is just awful.

Sorry, still going with if Harbaugh wins the Nat Champ and he becomes serious about the NFL, he's stated a quality Qb would be the deal maker.

Let him choose which Qb to draft if we get to top 5. Trade up or trade down as long as it gets him on board.

Oh, can you tell lm a fan of Harbaugh...:rock:

6 minutes ago, jemack said:

Sorry, still going with if Harbaugh wins the Nat Champ and he becomes serious about the NFL, he's stated a quality Qb would be the deal maker.

Let him choose which Qb to draft if we get to top 5. Trade up or trade down as long as it gets him on board.

Oh, can you tell lm a fan of Harbaugh...:rock:

I want Harbaugh as well as head coach. Some don't for some reason. I think he would turn this crap show around like he did in SF.

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I must be out of the loop, then. I don’t remember hearing all the praise until after. 

He has always been regarded as an offensive genius. It’s always been the other head coaching responsibilities, like time management, that was his down fall.

13 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I am all about free speech, but every year I have to be tortured with just bad predictions from Colts fans. Predictions of bad players like Jordan Love going to the Colts.  Or recycling bad coaches.  So can I just ask to consider a few things.

1) When talking about who is going to coach the Colts next year, think about what coach gets the MOST out of the LEAST amount of talent.  Every year NFL teams grab coordinators from teams who were successful.  Well, most of the time it doesn't turn out well. But usually these teams have a good head coach, but more importantly, they have very good talent on the team.  A perfect example of how both Bronco offensive coordinators when Peyton was there got head coaching jobs.  Now, did Peyton dod well in Denver because of them?  No.  They looked better because of him.  And that happens EVERY YEAR!  So when I see guys like Byron Leftwich or Leslie Frazier rumored to go to Colts, it makes makes me cringe.  Leftwich looks good beause of Tom Brady and very good receivers.  Frazier is an already failed NFL HC who runs the defense for the Bills where the offense is high powered, usually playing with the lead, with very good talent on the defensive side of the ball.  So try think outside the box.  If your only candidates are guys running on Chiefs, Bills, Bengals, Bucs coattails, then I predict it will be a failure.  Again, who does more with less talent?  I don't like Belichick, but he almost always puts up a good team no matter how bad the talent is.

2) Af far as QBs, you gotta quit looking at college QBs who play against inferior teams, run as much as they throw, and guys are wide open.  Since 2000, only 20% of QBs drafted in the first round become better than average.  Most flat out fail.  And how many times over the years do we hear about a guys great physical abilities but they are raw and need to be "coached up".  Unfortunately, that almost never works in the NFL.  Time to time, a guy like Josh Allen does. But most of the time, it is more like Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.  We need a QB who is, first, a passer.  Someone with a quick delivery, accurate, smart, who can read defenses, and is coachable.  If he is mobile, that is a bonus, but a QB should NEVER be rated on how well he runs as a primary.  And you have to consider the talent around the player.  Look at a ugy like Jalen Hurts. I am happy that he is doing well. But he has a VERY GOOD team around him in all aspects.  Most NFL QBs will do well with a good oline, running attack, good receivers, and a good defense. Put Jalen Hurts on the Texans and he would probably look like Davis Mills.  So keep that in mind when evaluating QBs.

That said, I am almost always nervous about taking a QB unless it is a lock like Peyton or Luck. I think Bryce Young is too small like Kyler Murray, I think CJ Stroud is another Ohio State QB who benefits from amazing talent around him and the others are just too raw or limited. The ONLY QB I see in the draft that is worth rolling the dice on is Will Levis from Kentucky. Why?  First of all, he is a VERY smart guy.  I have talked to a few people around him and learned he is very coachable.  He has a rocket arm that seems to be very accurate. He is tough as nails and a good leader.  As a bonus, he is mobile.  Now, he is no sure thing and could easily be another Blake Bortles.  But in watching his game, he plays well with a weaker surrounding cast.  He was hurt most of this year and lost many good players. I think he has a CHANGE to be good.  

As far as head coach, I am torn.  A guy like Harbaugh MIGHT work, but he would want an entire new staff and much power, which I don't see happening. The Colts would have to completely change their defense since Harbaugh likes more of a hybrid 3-4.  I expect that Colts will either promote Ventrone or keep Saturday and bring in a good offensive coordinator. I think a guy who will be a very, very good coach is Kellen Moore.  But only if they could keep Ventrone and Bradley in place.

Finally, I think it is a HUGE mistake to fire Chris Ballard. For people saying we need to clean house, you are completely off the mark. The Colts aren't losing games because lack of talent. You don't crush the Bills last year and beat the Chiefs this year without talent.  Ballard is VERY good at drafting players.  The problem is turnovers.  Need better coaching. I think Reich is a great guy but a little too soft on players.  Belichick sits a guy down the first time they make a mental mistake.  More discipline. In is inexcusable to have 3 very good offensive linemen and perform that badly each week and never seem to fix it.  That is where I think, at the minimum, we need an entirely new offensive staff.  But just remember this. MOST NFL teams don't have a very good GM. There are far more Ryan Grigsons than Chris Ballards.  Robinson was just let go in Tennessee, but if you look at his drafting record, it is not very good. You can't miss on 1st round picks like that.

All I ask is just please examine the whole game, the supporting cast, and evaluate. Don't say what the next guy next to you says.  And remember running QBs look great during the regular season, but I would argue a running QB has never won a Super Bowl. Mahomes is mobile, like Steve Young. But he isn't a runner.  I doubt Lamar Jackson, Jalen Hurts, or Kyler Murray will EVER win a Super Bowl.  They guy who can throw from the pocket accurately is always the best bet.  But please don't torture me with those horrid predictions of bad QBs and bad coaches and GMs.

Apparently, my friend you’re not for free speech lol

14 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

i was on board until you started praising ballard who is responsible  for the lack of talent on offense. a great talented team will win whoever is the coach. elite talent makes coaches look great. below average talent makes them fired. winning is all about the elite talent on a team and this mess of poor talent falls on ballard. hoodie or payton or any other head coach would look bad with ballards offensive players

3 hours ago, ColtsGermany said:

He impressed me with his leadership and heart in the heart crushing loss to KSU. 

He really stepped up for the team and left everything he had on the field. I think end of 2nd or early 3rd would be a good spot to take him. 

But if we pick top 5 we should take a higher ranked qb prospect there. We don't know when we will be picking that high again :dunno:

we could take more than one and let them compete

52 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hurts looks great to me. We had them beat which is incredible. They will probably be the #1 seed in the NFC.

A few years ago a Vikings fan wrote that we should draft him. I said, "No way." He has proved me wrong. I never thought he would do well in the NFL after Saban replaced him with Tua. I have to eat crow. haha

10 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

a lie? Being misinformed doesn’t make something a lie. Maybe an ignorant statement of what I said was untrue. 

I don’t remember anyone calling him an offensive genius until after mahomes…. Offensive genius. 

I never said he was a bad HC, or a failure… 

keyword: Genius. 

hes 5th all time in wins. That’s pretty awesome… I can be wrong without being a liar. 

I misspoke your absolutely right my apologies 

Archived