Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Respectablity and perspective

jemack

Since the firings and hirings, l've stated here that it would take a few weeks for the dust to settle in order for me (a fan) to evaluate the condition of this team. In doing so I lowered my expectations. That said, yesterday's loss did sting because of lost opportunities. But even during the Manning and Luck eras there were games that left us with the Monday morning hangovers. (Just not as often)

I believe this team is headed in the right direction. The one problem that cant be fixed is it began with a 4-5-1 record. Since hiring Saturday, this team has exceded my expectations (so far). They've played hard, competitive football with a well managed sideline. The Colts are back on track toward respectability. 

We're 1-1 as far as I'm concerned. We beat a team we should have beaten and lost a heart breaker to a very good team.

I'm excited to see what the rest of the season brings.

We've played a lot of close games in 4 seasons.  Have never really been on the losing end of many bad blow outs. 

Its just that we lose against good teams because they make plays when they have too and we don't.  I hope Jeff/Parks gets the team to score on its last possession rather than worrying about the first one.  

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We've played a lot of close games in 4 seasons.  Have never really been on the losing end of many bad blow outs. 

Its just that we lose against good teams because they make plays when they have too and we don't.  I hope Jeff/Parks gets the team to score on its last possession rather than worrying about the first one.  

I'll take the first one.  Then maybe (not yesterday) scoring on our last drive will not be a necessity.  It was nice watching the game yesterday when we were leading most of the game.  It kept me glued to the boob tube.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Alot of the offensive woes stem from turnovers but mostly the lack of developed talent on the Oline. This affects play calling (limitations) and holding calls.

One could argue Ryan's limitations due to age has a direct impact on play calling as well.

We had a 4th qtr come from behind in LV, but Philly was too good.

Here's hoping we continue to progess with each game. 

I'm torn. On one hand I see the difference in the team playing harder for Saturday but does that mean he's a good hc? I don't know because you couldn't get any worse than the lifeless Reich in the end who I believe this team had quit on or simply tuned out. Offensively the Colts had some of the WORST numbers across the board in the league with Frank calling plays. Frazier has never called plays before but has already broken some trends in 2 games that Frank failed to do all season and I don't think Frazier has done anything spectacular. The bar was that low.

After SIX YEARS with Ballard the sad truth is that we're into MORAL victories now. No division titles to speak of nor has the team been built to contend for a SB any time soon. The AFC has gotten stronger while the Colts have almost become irrelevant. Irsay speaks of greatness yet SETTLES for mediocrity with Ballard at the helm. His losing record might even suggest that he is subpar as gm.

We lack the components to field a top tier offense. No young dynamic qb, team is missing EXPLOSIVE receivers, o-line is shakey, no pillar at LT and we now have ANOTHER hc (interim) who likes to run the ball in tow with an oc who had NEVER called plays before. We are an offense that is hard to watch at times unless you like low scoring, grind it out between the tackle runs, which in turn lead to fg attempts with no room for error. As always in Ballard we trust.. :facepalm:  Or is it now Saturday after only two games? Only time will tell.

Reich was his own worst enemy. He should have delegated the OC duties and concentrated on being the head coach also, IRSAY MADE HIM BENCH Ryan and name the 3rd string unproven QB as the starter for the rest of the season thus tying Frank's hands. The whole season is a cluster because of Irsay 

Also...we have tall TEs and receivers which should give us an edge in the RedZone...why on earth don't we ever take advantage of that????

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm torn. On one hand I see the difference in the team playing harder for Saturday but does that mean he's a good hc? I don't know because you couldn't get any worse than the lifeless Reich in the end who I believe this team had quit on or simply tuned out. Offensively the Colts had some of the WORST numbers across the board in the league with Frank calling plays. Frazier has never called plays before but has already broken some trends in 2 games that Frank failed to do all season and I don't think Frazier has done anything spectacular. The bar was that low.

After SIX YEARS with Ballard the sad truth is that we're into MORAL victories now. No division titles to speak of nor has the team been built to contend for a SB any time soon. The AFC has gotten stronger while the Colts have almost become irrelevant. Irsay speaks of greatness yet SETTLES for mediocrity with Ballard at the helm. His losing record might even suggest that he is subpar as gm.

We lack the components to field a top tier offense. No young dynamic qb, team is missing EXPLOSIVE receivers, o-line is shakey, no pillar at LT and we now have ANOTHER hc (interim) who likes to run the ball in tow with an oc who had NEVER called plays before. We are an offense that is hard to watch at times unless you like low scoring, grind it out between the tackle runs, which in turn lead to fg attempts with no room for error. As always in Ballard we trust.. :facepalm:  Or is it now Saturday after only two games? Only time will tell.

It's funny but people say the team has played harder but where is the evidence for this? It's like saying that player has the it factor .

5 hours ago, jemack said:

Alot of the offensive woes stem from turnovers but mostly the lack of developed talent on the Oline. This affects play calling (limitations) and holding calls.

One could argue Ryan's limitations due to age has a direct impact on play calling as well.

We had a 4th qtr come from behind in LV, but Philly was too good.

Here's hoping we continue to progess with each game. 

Not just this season, but going back to the Rivers season and with the Flus defense, it seems like we can't ever get a first down to close out a game, or keep the opponent from getting a first down to close it out, or get a score at the end.  I think that has to do with the lack of talent at the critical match up positions.  When under stress, their players make plays over our players. 

We've lost many more games like that than being blown out.   Those 2 JAX games were probably the least competitive we have been in the past 4 seasons, and I guess this past NE game.  Can look directly at oline and QB for those bad games, IMO.

4 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

I'm still on the fence with Ballard. Is he drafting players that have low ceilings or is it our position coaches that are incapable of developing young talent? Saturday is spending a lot of time with the Oline in practice and making them run the same play over and over again until they get it right to the players surprise. This tells me Saturday sees a problem with coaching technique.

Something has to give. Whether Saturday stays or leaves, some, most, or all of the present coaching staff will not be here next season.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not just this season, but going back to the Rivers season and with the Flus defense, it seems like we can't ever get a first down to close out a game, or keep the opponent from getting a first down to close it out, or get a score at the end.  I think that has to do with the lack of talent at the critical match up positions.  When under stress, their players make plays over our players. 

We've lost many more games like that than being blown out.   Those 2 JAX games were probably the least competitive we have been in the past 4 seasons, and I guess this past NE game.  Can look directly at oline and QB for those bad games, IMO.

I know. I can't remember the last time we had corners good enough to play press man coverage instead of that pathetic soft defense on 3rd downs.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

It's funny but people say the team has played harder but where is the evidence for this? It's like saying that player has the it factor .

I agree but it sure is nice to have a head coach who actually speaks to players and his assistants during a game. Reich just looked worried every second. 

4 hours ago, jemack said:

I'm still on the fence with Ballard. Is he drafting players that have low ceilings or is it our position coaches that are incapable of developing young talent? Saturday is spending a lot of time with the Oline in practice and making them run the same play over and over again until they get it right to the players surprise. This tells me Saturday sees a problem with coaching technique.

Something has to give. Whether Saturday stays or leaves, some, most, or all of the present coaching staff will not be here next season.

Just curious- how do you know Saturday is spending so much time with the Oline, and the specifics?  I would assume he’s helping them, but I don’t have any details about it.

9 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

For me it was just apparent watching the games.  Perhaps it is just different play calls but the team does look a bit rejuvenated. 

How lack-luster the team looked under Reich the end of last season and this season was disappointing. 

6 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Just curious- how do you know Saturday is spending so much time with the Oline, and the specifics?  I would assume he’s helping them, but I don’t have any details about it.

Here you go.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theathletic.com/3904909/2022/11/16/colts-jeff-saturday-offensive-line/&ved=2ahUKEwiN2s2X6sH7AhXiRTABHbNmA_QQFnoECAEQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2chj1cpUkIdmqLSPuL-ALt

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I have to look back at the games just before the HC switch, but I remember thinking that the OLine was running over to pick up players after tackles when Jeff starts coaching.  The defense has played very well this year, but the energy level and amount of visible reactions seemed to intensify after Jeff took over.  That's just what I observed.

There was also the play against the Eagles when JT got into it a bit on the sidelines.  Q was right there to step in.  I don't remember seeing him there after plays were over before Jeff took over.

Now maybe the OLine started picking up guys again because they were actually BEYOND the line of scrimmage, lol, but there is that.  The energy level has been visible to me.

4 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I have to look back at the games just before the HC switch, but I remember thinking that the OLine was running over to pick up players after tackles when Jeff starts coaching.  The defense has played very well this year, but the energy level and amount of visible reactions seemed to intensify after Jeff took over.  That's just what I observed.

There was also the play against the Eagles when JT got into it a bit on the sidelines.  Q was right there to step in.  I don't remember seeing him there after plays were over before Jeff took over.

Now maybe the OLine started picking up guys again because they were actually BEYOND the line of scrimmage, lol, but there is that.  The energy level has been visible to me.

And I agree the energy as that usually happens after coaching change. However a couple of losses jn a row and that energy will soon disappear. Yea to having more energy but still making the same mistakes so I would say they are playing better 

20 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Reich was his own worst enemy. He should have delegated the OC duties and concentrated on being the head coach also, IRSAY MADE HIM BENCH Ryan and name the 3rd string unproven QB as the starter for the rest of the season thus tying Frank's hands. The whole season is a cluster because of Irsay 

Also...we have tall TEs and receivers which should give us an edge in the RedZone...why on earth don't we ever take advantage of that????

You start by saying Reich was his own worst enemy and he should have delegated the OC duties and then blame the whole season on Irsay.

It sounds like you are saying there is blame to go around.

On 11/21/2022 at 3:36 PM, bluephantom87 said:

We need to face the facts, we are and haven’t been a good football team in a long time. We haven’t won a division title single 2014 in one of the worst divisions record wise in football over that span, Chris Ballard had made some great picks in his time but some horrible ones also as do all GMs. But he has not done anything to find long term solutions outside of over the hill stop gaps at the 2 most important positions in football QB & LT. Never taking a chance on a QB in the first 3 rds to develop over his time here. The sad truth is we are gonna be the bottom of the division soon if we don’t get someone in the GM role who ain’t afraid to take a change to find a guy. Titans have Willis developing while Ryan is at the helm gonna lead them to another division title. Jags have Trevor who is getting better and Texans gonna have one of the top QB in this draft. Colts we gonna end up trading for a 39-40 year old Arron Rodgers or Another old dude coming off losing season that’s the sad truth 

1 hour ago, jbaron04 said:

We need to face the facts, we are and haven’t been a good football team in a long time. We haven’t won a division title single 2014 in one of the worst divisions record wise in football over that span, Chris Ballard had made some great picks in his time but some horrible ones also as do all GMs. But he has not done anything to find long term solutions outside of over the hill stop gaps at the 2 most important positions in football QB & LT. Never taking a chance on a QB in the first 3 rds to develop over his time here. The sad truth is we are gonna be the bottom of the division soon if we don’t get someone in the GM role who ain’t afraid to take a change to find a guy. Titans have Willis developing while Ryan is at the helm gonna lead them to another division title. Jags have Trevor who is getting better and Texans gonna have one of the top QB in this draft. Colts we gonna end up trading for a 39-40 year old Arron Rodgers or Another old dude coming off losing season that’s the sad truth 

Been a Colts fan since '74. And believe me, l've seen things in the 80's and 90's  that simply defied logic. The next 2 yrs will define how successful the Colts will be for the next 8 to 10 yrs.

We're all going to have our patience tested.

11 hours ago, jemack said:

Been a Colts fan since '74. And believe me, l've seen things in the 80's and 90's  that simply defied logic. The next 2 yrs will define how successful the Colts will be for the next 8 to 10 yrs.

We're all going to have our patience tested.

Yea it’s gonna be tuff sledding coming up for sure, It starts with the QB position. I would take a risk on a QB with elite athleticism if we can’t trade up to get one of the top 3 guys I would try someone like Anthony Richardson who we could develop reminds me of L.Jackson. Or if H.Hooker falls to a good spot with his age and now acl I wouldn’t mind grabbing Him to groom. But it comes down to getting a GM who has the stones to put his name on something other than stop gaps and blame them to survive another year 

On 11/22/2022 at 12:31 PM, gspdx said:

You start by saying Reich was his own worst enemy and he should have delegated the OC duties and then blame the whole season on Irsay.

It sounds like you are saying there is blame to go around.

I disagree. I have always thought that Reich was an excellent coach and made the team better than what they were. I said to people look at the talent on the roster when it comes to the offence. Show me the pro bowlers and all pros at key positions. U had a guard, RT and running back. Now the guard and the RT are average and the running back ain't going no where. Who is left to take the slack??  In order for this team to be successful, the Oline needed to be dominant and it is below average. I think this team maybe lucky to win another game. I think Frank will be some what vindicated when the dust settles. People said he was a bad OC and the Oline played poorly because of scheme. It will be interesting to how those people continue to spin it if the offence  continues  to score 17 points. 

On 11/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, jemack said:

I know. I can't remember the last time we had corners good enough to play press man coverage instead of that pathetic soft defense on 3rd downs.

Eh we had Davis & Toler during the Pagano era tho Toler would get beat nonstop regardless  Davis was above average until he’d get a  nagging injury that hindered him..other than that sheesh I can’t remember either haha  I’m happy for Gilmore 

9 hours ago, jbaron04 said:

Yea it’s gonna be tuff sledding coming up for sure, It starts with the QB position. I would take a risk on a QB with elite athleticism if we can’t trade up to get one of the top 3 guys I would try someone like Anthony Richardson who we could develop reminds me of L.Jackson. Or if H.Hooker falls to a good spot with his age and now acl I wouldn’t mind grabbing Him to groom. But it comes down to getting a GM who has the stones to put his name on something other than stop gaps and blame them to survive another year 

Raimann at LT is a question mark. If he doesn't progress by season's end and we're drafting between 8 and 13 Ballard will probably go LT and keep Ryan as the starter. You're right, he doesn't have the guts to trade up for a 1st tier Qb and I'd be surprised if he picked a Qb at all. He seems to gravitate towards vets rather than a high draft pick at that position. Except for Rivers, he's failed to deliver.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

So the head coach has nothing to do with how the team plays?

Too much credit or blame rests on the HC. These are professionals. How they execute rests mostly on them. 
   Although to your point, the initial slow starts have been chronic under Reich and it’s a bottom line business.
  I just think most of the players who have not blocked well, who have missed field goals, dropped passes, missed tackles, thrown interceptions or otherwise contributed to the losing record share most of the blame and feel somewhat responsible for Frank losing his job.

Archived