Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I really want this to happen

ruf

of course i was sick by the ending of the game but as most of you know my concern was with the Oline and i seen it during the preseason when we would leave our starters out against the other teams non-starters (i knew it would was going to be an issue) with that being said

I think Sam E can be our qb going forward. we must fix the Oline--we have Q and we have Smith to play the G position (note Smith should be the RG going forward if not this year but next year)

we should move on from Kelly (use Pinter as a backup) and this is for next year but we need to draft a LT and find a RT in FA. 

we should also look for another C in FA

if we can fix this line i think our O at the other positions are good (we can add if needed)

The D is good most of the time we could add some peices there and i think we're good to go.

it does not matter who is at qb for us the Oline as is will make no difference

8 minutes ago, ruf said:

of course i was sick by the ending of the game but as most of you know my concern was with the Oline and i seen it during the preseason when we would leave our starters out against the other teams non-starters (i knew it would was going to be an issue) with that being said

I think Sam E can be our qb going forward. we must fix the Oline--we have Q and we have Smith to play the G position (note Smith should be the RG going forward if not this year but next year)

we should move on from Kelly (use Pinter as a backup) and this is for next year but we need to draft a LT and find a RT in FA. 

if we can fix this line i think our O at the other positions are good (we can add if needed)

The D is good most of the time we could add some peices there and i think we're good to go.

Q looked like crap this game… again. Constantly on his heels. And I am a big Q fan and was am happy when they took him. I thought making him the highest paid guard was worth it. Now I must eat crow and say that no, we should have just let him walk. Same with Kelly. 

12 minutes ago, ruf said:

“It does not matter who is at QB for us, the Oline as is will make no difference.”

Does the Oline need to get fixed?   Of course it does.   But since QB is the most important position in the game,  it ALWAYS matters who plays the position. 

It’s not one OR the other, it’s both.   

I think the chances we follow your recommendations for fixing the OL are right around zero point zero.   But that may be too high. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

“It does not matter who is at QB for us, the Oline as is will make no difference.”

Does the Oline need to get fixed?   Of course it does.   But since QB is the most important position in the game,  it ALWAYS matters who plays the position. 

I think the chances we follow your recommendations for fixing the OL are right around zero point zero.   But that may be too high. 

well then i hope you will enjoy next season as we all have this season with our elite overpaid Oline

26 minutes ago, ruf said:

By going forward, do you mean for the remainder of this season OR for the upcoming seasons and future of this team????

If it's the latter, you've already seen enough of him and feel SamE. will be able to match up offensively with the AFC Hot Shots like MaHolmes, Josh Allen, Herbert, Deshaun Watson, Russel Wilson etc... ???? ......

Interesting......

my opinion in such a short sample size is I hope the Colts pursue a possible elite/franchise QB in next years draft regardless how the  SamE. plays this year. 

And yes our OL needs fixing, but fixing a OL is easier than getting a elite QB and that is job 1.

2 minutes ago, jemack said:

This is what will improve the Colts immediately. Have Frank call plays designed for the offense's talant level. 

there were some good plays called but we should be able to open some holes for rbs and have a little protection

1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

By going forward, do you mean for the remainder of this season OR for the upcoming seasons and future of this team????

If it's the latter, you've already seen enough of him and feel SamE. will be able to match up offensively with the AFC Hot Shots like MaHolmes, Josh Allen, Herbert, Deshaun Watson, Russel Wilson etc... ???? ......

Interesting......

my opinion in such a short sample size is I hope the Colts pursue a possible elite/franchise QB in next years draft regardless how the  SamE. plays this year. 

i think for the next 2 years until we get that Oline fixed

I’m sick too.  But let’s not forget - two lost fumbles in scoring position.  And still leading by 9 with less than 5 minutes (I may be off on that).  

Went into Prevent to give up the FG.  Smart enough to know we can’t get six inches on 4th.  Prevent again…and then a great catch by Scary Terry.  

If we would have had an INT on that last pass, what would we be saying?  Blow it up or we’re a contender?

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Here's a simplest test to see how good a team Ballard has drafted. Open it all up at the trade deadline and see who comes a calling and what they offer to our pro bowlers and all pros!!! If it was me, I would sell everyone . No one is safe cause I am not only concerned about the talent level but the character and heart on this team. I am starting to wonder if these Oline men have some extra curricular activities we don't know about cause they play like they have been partying all night long lol.

2 hours ago, ruf said:

The OL could be fixed pretty quickly in the off-season.  The Bills did it this year.  Their line this year is practically entirely rebuilt with new FA starters added to a few holdovers.  Hence former starter Grady Williams is still a FA.  It can be done is my point.  Of course you have to hit on the guys you bring in.

1 hour ago, azcolt said:

Too bad they paid 56. He is done.

And that is why Ballard should be fired. He has made a lot of mistakes and they are all coming due this season. That's a horrible move he made in signing him. I can forgive him for a lot but that was minor league in signing that Olineman. He use to hang his hat on 2 2nd round players who were all pro and  who were destined for Canton. No more can he use that card.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not going to point any fingers at anyone.  All I know is that Sam looked pretty poised and never panicked.  

Two fumbles gave them 10 points and that was enough to cost the game. 

Not only did that give up 10 points to the commies they were both fumbles in field goal range. If they were held on to that 16 points could be 6-14 points higher

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Interesting......

And yes our OL needs fixing, but fixing a OL is easier than getting a elite QB and that is job 1.

I know a lot of people are high on the QB’s coming out in next years draft class,I’m not seeing it.If Sam shows any promise the last few games of the season we might want to roll with him.

I think Q is playing hurt. He’s still a fabulous player when healthy. And he’s a Colt long term as a result of that contract. No change there; Smith can play the RT or RG; wherever he goes, put Raimann at the other. The changes needed start of course at LT. If Sam proves worthy of starting next year, you can jettison the need to draft your future QB and draft a LT #1 instead and sign a solid C as a free agent. Dump Ryan Kelly and Matt Pryor at the junkyard, along with the ringmaster of this circus, Frank Reich.  Right there you’ve made serious headway in fixing this offense. 

16 minutes ago, WHAM-Bam ThankYou Sam said:

Not only did that give up 10 points to the commies they were both fumbles in field goal range. If they were held on to that 16 points could be 6-14 points higher

I understand why fans are frustrated but firing everyone down to the waterboys is just venting.  Had it not been for the turnovers we would have won the game. All this negativity wouldn't be as bad. 

I took some positive things out of the game. 

16 minutes ago, Coltsbluefan said:

I know a lot of people are high on the QB’s coming out in next years draft class,I’m not seeing it.If Sam shows any promise the last few games of the season we might want to roll with him.

Rolling with mediocrity is the worst thing we can do....it might be like committing to brisset  again. I say draft the best QB we can and let him.and SamE. fight it out. 

I do believe if we had one really additional solid SOLID player on the O line it would improve our offense tremendously. Sam did great today…kid has talent, and I could see him being a long term answer if he continues to play like he did today with the additional help from another O line guy he’d be able to put up touchdowns instead of field goals. Just my opinion. Sure only 1 game, I am not sold on him for a permanent answer, but again he proved like he belonged. Hope he continues to prove himself 

6 hours ago, Hoose said:

I think Q is playing hurt. He’s still a fabulous player when healthy. And he’s a Colt long term as a result of that contract. No change there; Smith can play the RT or RG; wherever he goes, put Raimann at the other. The changes needed start of course at LT. If Sam proves worthy of starting next year, you can jettison the need to draft your future QB and draft a LT #1 instead and sign a solid C as a free agent. Dump Ryan Kelly and Matt Pryor at the junkyard, along with the ringmaster of this circus, Frank Reich.  Right there you’ve made serious headway in fixing this offense. 

If he’s playing hurt he needs to man up and sit the hell out and take Kelly & Pryor with his *** cuz all 3 are playing like basura!

With all the below "mediocrity" qb's that have been drafted in the last 5 years I cannot believe the number of people on here who just want to "draft the best qb available" and go with it. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson. The only qb's in the last 5 drafts who have made a difference the last 5 years. You have more of a chance to get a Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Jones, or anyone of the other "retreads " of the past few years. I can't imagine the abuse Ballard would take on here if he does go for a Levis or Hooker in next years draft and neither one would ever play because they are not better than Sam.

8 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Rolling with mediocrity is the worst thing we can do....it might be like committing to brisset  again. I say draft the best QB we can and let him.and SamE. fight it out. 

We need a top-notch LT.  Thus far, Ehlinger looks NOTHING like Brissett.  If he continues to develop - make LT the top priority in the 2023 draft.

I usually don't criticize players much on here but I lost count of how many times Kelly was standing around not blocking anyone yesterday. He missed his block on number 93 so bad on one play yesterday that resulted in a 3 yard loss. Our offensive line isn't getting pushed around as bad as some people on here think they are, they are just plane missing blocks and assignments. How about the one play yesterday when 3 guys sacked Sam because Smith never moved and Pryor moved after the defense had run by him???? I mean how can that happen???

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I usually don't criticize players much on here but I lost count of how many times Kelly was standing around not blocking anyone yesterday. He missed his block on number 93 so bad on one play yesterday that resulted in a 3 yard loss. Our offensive line isn't getting pushed around as bad as some people on here think they are, they are just plane missing blocks and assignments. How about the one play yesterday when 3 guys sacked Sam because Smith never moved and Pryor moved after the defense had run by him???? I mean how can that happen???

Colts won't get so much as a clipboard for Ryan in a trade.   He, like a couple of others appears to have quit on the team, pretty much.  Pick up anything off the waiver wire and move on from his useless carcass.

13 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The OL could be fixed pretty quickly in the off-season.  The Bills did it this year.  Their line this year is practically entirely rebuilt with new FA starters added to a few holdovers.  Hence former starter Grady Williams is still a FA.  It can be done is my point.  Of course you have to hit on the guys you bring in.

ballard needs to get someone else to pick talent for the oline

6 hours ago, Two_pound said:

With all the below "mediocrity" qb's that have been drafted in the last 5 years I cannot believe the number of people on here who just want to "draft the best qb available" and go with it. Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson. The only qb's in the last 5 drafts who have made a difference the last 5 years. You have more of a chance to get a Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Jones, or anyone of the other "retreads " of the past few years. I can't imagine the abuse Ballard would take on here if he does go for a Levis or Hooker in next years draft and neither one would ever play because they are not better than Sam.

the draft is a crap shoot but we have to at least try

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

we should always have young competition at qb because of injuries 

4 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

We need a top-notch LT.  Thus far, Ehlinger looks NOTHING like Brissett.  If he continues to develop - make LT the top priority in the 2023 draft.

If the OT is deep in next year's draft and Sam's the man, I would love to draft Marvin Harrison 2 and draft OT with next pick.

13 hours ago, Coltsbluefan said:

it does not hurt to have 2 young qbs fighting for starting

Reich called a good game yesterday, fit to the strengths of his new QB. He called end arounds and sweeps, and a few screens, and those plays helped weaponize the skill players and take pressure off the QB. He went conservative on 4th down because of the circumstances -- bad OL, young QB, defense playing well. Maybe could have gone for one or two of those, but his decisions were defensible.

And Sam played a good game. He was poised and accurate, and even though he had a couple of bad plays, it was a good debut. I was prepared for him to be terrible. He was surprisingly adequate.

That said, I don't think Reich is the right coach for a team that wants to compete for SBs, and I don't think we've seen anything from Sam to suggest he's the right QB. He has nine more games to show his stuff, but my expectations aren't very high.

13 minutes ago, Superman said:

Reich called a good game yesterday, fit to the strengths of his new QB. He called end arounds and sweeps, and a few screens, and those plays helped weaponize the skill players and take pressure off the QB. He went conservative on 4th down because of the circumstances -- bad OL, young QB, defense playing well. Maybe could have gone for one or two of those, but his decisions were defensible.

And Sam played a good game. He was poised and accurate, and even though he had a couple of bad plays, it was a good debut. I was prepared for him to be terrible. He was surprisingly adequate.

That said, I don't think Reich is the right coach for a team that wants to compete for SBs, and I don't think we've seen anything from Sam to suggest he's the right QB. He has nine more games to show his stuff, but my expectations aren't very high.

I mostly agree.   I thought that Reich had finally changed his play calling approach until the end when he ran a shotgun draw a couple inches from the goal line.  Then when we needed a first down to pretty much lock the game up he ran JT up the gut for 2 yards and then did the same thing on 2nd down.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I mostly agree.   I thought that Reich had finally changed his play calling approach until the end when he ran a shotgun draw a couple inches from the goal line.  Then when we needed a first down to pretty much lock the game up he ran JT up the gut for 2 yards and then did the same thing on 2nd down.  

I'm pretty sure the decision to go shotgun has to do with Sam being most comfortable in shotgun. 

And ultimately the OL not blocking well is the most critical factor, and I don't think that's about shotgun vs under center.

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm pretty sure the decision to go shotgun has to do with Sam being most comfortable in shotgun. 

And ultimately the OL not blocking well is the most critical factor, and I don't think that's about shotgun vs under center.

It would seem like a sneak would have had the best chance of gaining a few inches.  Even a roll out, but not a hand off 3 yards back when you need inches.  

Archived