Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I really want this to happen

ruf

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Reich called a good game yesterday, fit to the strengths of his new QB. He called end arounds and sweeps, and a few screens, and those plays helped weaponize the skill players and take pressure off the QB. He went conservative on 4th down because of the circumstances -- bad OL, young QB, defense playing well. Maybe could have gone for one or two of those, but his decisions were defensible.

And Sam played a good game. He was poised and accurate, and even though he had a couple of bad plays, it was a good debut. I was prepared for him to be terrible. He was surprisingly adequate.

That said, I don't think Reich is the right coach for a team that wants to compete for SBs, and I don't think we've seen anything from Sam to suggest he's the right QB. He has nine more games to show his stuff, but my expectations aren't very high.

Not so sure, Supe.  Young Samwise looked unflappable and polished.  Certainly not a deer in the headlights.  Maybe that will change when he realizes just where he is.

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

It would seem like a sneak would have had the best chance of gaining a few inches.  Even a roll out, but not a hand off 3 yards back when you need inches.  

Has Sam ever run a QB sneak? 

Getting positive gains from shotgun runs, even in short yardage, is commonplace. I'm pretty sure they stayed in shotgun because asking Sam to take snaps under center was another unnecessary variable to introduce in his first start.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Getting positive gains from shotgun runs, even in short yardage, is commonplace. I'm pretty sure they stayed in shotgun because asking Sam to take snaps under center was another unnecessary variable to introduce in his first start.

If Reich did not have him practice QB sneaks in practice then it is another knock on Reich.

Positive yardage from shotgun runs may happen but does it happen much on the goal line.   

Are you telling me that after 2 years and a college career that Sam cannot take a snap from the center and hand it off?  Reich really thought the odds of that failing was more than the odds of a shotgun run up the gut failing.   I cannot buy that unless Reich is an *.   I do not think Reich is an * outside of refusing to give up the play-calling.

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

If Reich did not have him practice QB sneaks in practice then it is another knock on Reich.

Positive yardage from shotgun runs may happen but does it happen much on the goal line.   

Are you telling me that after 2 years and a college career that Sam cannot take a snap from the center and hand it off?  Reich really thought the odds of that failing was more than the odds of a shotgun run up the gut failing.   I cannot buy that unless Reich is an *.   I do not think Reich is an * outside of refusing to give up the play-calling.

I disagree, top to bottom. Successful runs from shotgun happen in all areas of the field. We failed because our OL doesn't block anymore, and that's it. It wouldn't have matter if we were under center.

And if you think it just takes a couple days of practice to be comfortable running QB sneak, then I don't know what to say. Also, our OL doesn't block anymore, so even that would have been an adventure.

Marv Jr looks really good, but he's not eligible until 2024. 

And... my other scenario is ... keep Ballard and Reich for 23... don't draft QB. Fail again. 

Fire both. Hire Lincoln Riley and draft Caleb Williams... eh... I'm dreaming way too much and way too far in the future. :D 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

And... my other scenario is ... keep Ballard and Reich for 23... don't draft QB. Fail again. 

Fire both. Hire Lincoln Riley and draft Caleb Williams... eh... I'm dreaming way too much and way too far in the future. :D 

I'm in SoCal, so I watch USC pretty closely. I don't know if Caleb Williams is going to make it in the pros. I'll watch him more carefully moving forward, but I have big questions about fundamentals.

And I don't think Lincoln Riley is leaving USC any time soon. He has a chance to cement a real legacy there, and everyone connected to that program has been thirsty for a coach who can bring them back to relevance. They'll do whatever they can to keep him there for as long as possible. 

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm in SoCal, so I watch USC pretty closely. I don't know if Caleb Williams is going to make it in the pros. I'll watch him more carefully moving forward, but I have big questions about fundamentals.

And I don't think Lincoln Riley is leaving USC any time soon. He has a chance to cement a real legacy there, and everyone connected to that program has been thirsty for a coach who can bring them back to relevance. They'll do whatever they can to keep him there for as long as possible. 

Fair. I personally have not done any film watching on Caleb Williams besides just watching some random games for fun, so you might be right about your reservations about him. I'm just going by what I've heard from draft pundits(that Caleb Williams is very highly regarded, but there are a lot of those QBs that look good initially but ultimately don't pan out in the league).

And if you think it just takes a couple days of practice to be comfortable running QB sneak, then I don't know what to say. Also, our OL doesn't block anymore, so even that would have been an adventure.

Sam has been on the roster for much more than a couple days.   If it IS because our line don't block anymore, you would think the head coach would know this.  Reich failed miserably.  

20 hours ago, Superman said:

Dont' know how you could disagree.  Sam's been on the Colts roster for over a year.  You seem to be suggesting that he's either never practiced running the Colts offense taking snaps under center before he was announced the starter or that he's never practiced a QB sneak.  If either of those things are true, then we have failed in his development.  All your backups should be capable of performing the team's playbook.  Maybe not as knowledgeable or capable - hence the depth chart - but that seems to me to be a serious indictment on this team's FO.  You have your starting QB go down in the 3rd quarter and need 6 inches to score and an obvious successful option is off the table, sying, "he can't take snaps under center because he hasn't practiced it enough" is just punching your own nuts on national television for entertainment value.

EDIT: Saw the later post and yeah, the line blocking is a different matter.  If they don't block for Taylor, they won't block for Sam.  But time is not your friend and a QB sneak is quicker than the play we called.  It should have been on the table.  

20 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Dont' know how you could disagree.  Sam's been on the Colts roster for over a year.  You seem to be suggesting that he's either never practiced running the Colts offense taking snaps under center before he was announced the starter or that he's never practiced a QB sneak.  If either of those things are true, then we have failed in his development.  All your backups should be capable of performing the team's playbook.  Maybe not as knowledgeable or capable - hence the depth chart - but that seems to me to be a serious indictment on this team's FO.  You have your starting QB go down in the 3rd quarter and need 6 inches to score and an obvious successful option is off the table, sying, "he can't take snaps under center because he hasn't practiced it enough" is just punching your own nuts on national television for entertainment value.

EDIT: Saw the later post and yeah, the line blocking is a different matter.  If they don't block for Taylor, they won't block for Sam.  But time is not your friend and a QB sneak is quicker than the play we called.  It should have been on the table.  

Reich should take a page from Sirianni's playbook regarding the QB sneak. Hurts hurries up, takes takes the snap under center and two huge guys behind him help push him over the line. Not being able to get six inches is inexcusable and not having practiced enough for this possible (very common) scenario is even worse.

40 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

What about if they have practiced taking snaps under center, and it didn't go well? 

Also keep in mind that Sam was third string until two weeks ago. He hasn't practiced much at all, especially for situational preparation. Last week was about getting him ready to run a gameplan. How much time do you spend on one play? 

And my more general point wasn't just about QB sneak, it was about any run play from under center vs from shotgun. 

29 minutes ago, Superman said:

What about if they have practiced taking snaps under center, and it didn't go well? 

Also keep in mind that Sam was third string until two weeks ago. He hasn't practiced much at all, especially for situational preparation. Last week was about getting him ready to run a gameplan. How much time do you spend on one play? 

And my more general point wasn't just about QB sneak, it was about any run play from under center vs from shotgun. 

I mean we can't know that given whats been said and Frank's not going to throw him under the bus.   And yeah, taking it from under center is different I get that. But it's a QB.  And one who has made it to the NFL at that.  I find it hard to believe that such a person would need a huge amount of practice running a sneak given it's effectiveness (which according to PFF is the higher percentage play by the way than a handoff to the RB from 2007-2017). 

But that's what QBs do, they take the snap.  He should have enough reps to take the snap and run forward.   The other 10 guys on the field have done it and know what to do.  I understand if taking it from under center doesn't go well because his footwork to handoff or 3/5 step drop is lacking.  But this, take the snap and run forward. If it's professionally not inexcusable for 1 week, it's inexcusable from a long-term standpoint.  He's your starting QB, better start dedicating practice to it and get it figured out real quick if you're trying to make the playoffs as you claim.  Frank's always talking about the percentage play this and better play that and then cutting out higher percentage plays from the playbook long term is career suicide.

Eh, whatever.    Doesn't change what happened and I'm not second guessing in hindsight.  Was aggravated he didn't line up under center for a QB sneak before the snap.  But it doesn't matter if the line gets rocked of the point of attack which it has on a pretty consistent basis most the year.  I don't get it...

4 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I mean we can't know that given whats been said and Frank's not going to throw him under the bus.   And yeah, taking it from under center is different I get that. But it's a QB.  And one who has made it to the NFL at that.  I find it hard to believe that such a person would need a huge amount of practice running a sneak given it's effectiveness (which according to PFF is the higher percentage play by the way than a handoff to the RB from 2007-2017). 

But that's what QBs do, they take the snap.  He should have enough reps to take the snap and run forward.   The other 10 guys on the field have done it and know what to do.  I understand if taking it from under center doesn't go well because his footwork to handoff or 3/5 step drop is lacking.  But this, take the snap and run forward. If it's professionally not inexcusable for 1 week, it's inexcusable from a long-term standpoint.  He's your starting QB, better start dedicating practice to it and get it figured out real quick if you're trying to make the playoffs as you claim.  Frank's always talking about the percentage play this and better play that and then cutting out higher percentage plays from the playbook long term is career suicide.

Eh, whatever.    Doesn't change what happened and I'm not second guessing in hindsight.  Was aggravated he didn't line up under center for a QB sneak before the snap.  But it doesn't matter if the line gets rocked of the point of attack which it has on a pretty consistent basis most the year.  I don't get it...

We don't know anything that's happened behind the scenes, this is all supposition. But in thinking about possible reasons they didn't use QB sneak in that situation, new QB who isn't used to being under center seems like a logical place to start. Given Sam's trajectory over the last year and a half -- especially the last two weeks -- him not being prepared for every possible situation isn't hard for me to digest. 

And if you want to use that as supporting evidence for why this coaching staff is losing support, I'm fine with that. The list is getting pretty long at this point.

18 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You are rambling about a what IF.... good grief!

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

You are rambling about a what IF.... good grief!

A "what if" is what started this thread.  LOL. 

And this is a forum for fans about the Colts, yes?  Pretty much everything on here is our opinions about the team.  And we talk about those opinions, most often framed from the standpoint of what you or I think "IF" responsible for making the call. 

"Ballard should fire Frank."  Taylor should have cut left, therewas a hole there!  Hope the Colts draft a QB.

All "what ifs."  Like, you realize that, right?

On 11/1/2022 at 11:31 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

And this is a forum for fans about the Colts, yes?  Pretty much everything on here is our opinions about the team.  And we talk about those opinions, most often framed from the standpoint of what you or I think "IF" responsible for making the call. 

"Ballard should fire Frank."  Taylor should have cut left, therewas a hole there!  Hope the Colts draft a QB.

here is a "what if" for you

Give Frank and Ballard one more year: they should know to fix the Oline number one---I think that SamE is going to be a qb they can build around----get one great blocking TE ---make Rogers our #2 cb---we should still try to improve DE either in the draft or FA

we need to move on from K Moore -Ryan Kelly--Patmon and Ben B

59 minutes ago, ruf said:

here is a "what if" for you

Give Frank and Ballard one more year: they should know to fix the Oline number one---I think that SamE is going to be a qb they can build around----get one great blocking TE ---make Rogers our #2 cb---we should still try to improve DE either in the draft or FA

we need to move on from K Moore -Ryan Kelly--Patmon and Ben B

Yeah. I think I agree about Moore and Kelly at least. Not sure, but I wouldn’t fight against either.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:28 AM, Two_pound said:

I usually don't criticize players much on here but I lost count of how many times Kelly was standing around not blocking anyone yesterday. He missed his block on number 93 so bad on one play yesterday that resulted in a 3 yard loss. Our offensive line isn't getting pushed around as bad as some people on here think they are, they are just plane missing blocks and assignments. How about the one play yesterday when 3 guys sacked Sam because Smith never moved and Pryor moved after the defense had run by him???? I mean how can that happen???

That play was weird

On 11/1/2022 at 9:31 AM, OffensivelyPC said:

Are you under the impression that some of these “what if” threads are ridiculous? 

Do you believe that all posts are created equal and have equal value or do you allow that some here might just be smarter than others and some are less smart? 

Hey, I encourage everyone to say what they want.   Post freely.   Just don’t be surprised if/when the market place of ideas rejects your idea (not you, but anyone).   Some are shocked when their ideas are rejected.    That’s the free market at work.   

I’ve been on the receiving end of praise and rejection.   One is far more fun than the other.   And when I get rejected I remind myself of the free market.  I either move on or try to make a better argument.   

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Are you under the impression that some of these “what if” threads are ridiculous? 

Do you believe that all posts are created equal and have equal value or do you allow that some here might just be smarter than others and some are less smart? 

Hey, I encourage everyone to say what they want.   Post freely.   Just don’t be surprised if/when the market place of ideas rejects your idea (not you, but anyone).   Some are shocked when their ideas are rejected.    That’s the free market at work.   

I’ve been on the receiving end of praise and rejection.   One is far more fun than the other.   And when I get rejected I remind myself of the free market.  I either move on or try to make a better argument.   

Most of them are ridiculous. But that’s more fun than actually working. 

On 10/30/2022 at 8:00 PM, ruf said:

of course i was sick by the ending of the game but as most of you know my concern was with the Oline and i seen it during the preseason when we would leave our starters out against the other teams non-starters (i knew it would was going to be an issue) with that being said

I think Sam E can be our qb going forward. we must fix the Oline--we have Q and we have Smith to play the G position (note Smith should be the RG going forward if not this year but next year)

we should move on from Kelly (use Pinter as a backup) and this is for next year but we need to draft a LT and find a RT in FA. 

we should also look for another C in FA

if we can fix this line i think our O at the other positions are good (we can add if needed)

The D is good most of the time we could add some peices there and i think we're good to go.

it does not matter who is at qb for us the Oline as is will make no difference

There is no way Smith isn't playing RT going forward for this team, and they aren't hamstringing themselves with overpays,

You just cannot pay top OT money to BOTH starting Guards..... and then still have to find and pay OT's to start lol.

4 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

There is no way Smith isn't playing RT going forward for this team, and they aren't hamstringing themselves with overpays,

You just cannot pay top OT money to BOTH starting Guards..... and then still have to find and pay OT's to start lol.

if he would play at the level he was playing at i would agree with you----But if he is a liability then you don't  put him out there any longer--not only does it affect the qb's chances of success but also hurts the run game

Archived