Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan benched for Sam (merge)

John Waylon

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, John Waylon said:
Jeez. Matt getting thrown full-on under the bus. Oof. 

? By who? Certainly not by the team or any fan with a clue. Yeah he shares the blame for our O for sure, but we've been banged up and our OL is one of the worst in the league. An aging, not-so-mobile QB and a bad OL is a ridiculous combo and that's on Ballard. 

Expectations for me for Sam E are modest at most. He's not the answer. But he has the chance to prove otherwise. The killer is that we can't afford to let Ryan go next year and have to hope that if we rebuild the OL he is viable again. We have little choice but to try. 

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

Also, the good thing that will come of this is that the Colts will finally find out what they have in Sam Ehlinger. If he excels, then they can focus on filling other needs in next year's draft. If not, then then at least they can draft a QB knowing that it's a true need.

If we stink it up and get a high pick, but Sam shows he’s the one, Ballard can trade back and get a Right Guard in the top 10!!

:peek:

PS anyone thinking "now we have a shot at the playoffs" remains in serious denial. IMO the most we can hope for is Sam plays better than most expect and we stay healthy and we win the division because it's so weak, but we aren't going far with this team.

26 minutes ago, strt182 said:

Most of the Info being posted here is SUMMARIES. I highly recommend watching this. The issue with social media is a lot of times people post things to meet their agenda. I get a little different take on things after watching the presser. 

"Sam in practice this week made 4 or 5 elite throws down the field, threaded then into tight windows".

"Getting a 3rd down conversion by scrambling is a big play in an NFL game"  Keeps the drive moving.

"We told Ryan when we traded for him that he could expect excellent protection"  (On what basis did they think he would have great protection when Wentz did not have it last year and no pieces were added)

It’s amazing how the team has used one scapegoat after another only to find us back in the same place before the season started. Mediocrity has been the mantra for this team for years and so has complacency. It starts at the very top and it trickles down. Jim had a big meltdown on the tarmac at the end of last season and of course somebody had to vouch for Ryan be at Ballard or Reich. I said don’t see how Strasser keeps his job and you know the weekly meetings of the brain truss gets hammered by Irsay but nothing changes. If Ryan is indeed a bust and the jury is still out because of our offense of line blame still goes to #2. The fact that the offense of line has regressed to a point where it’s disgusting it’s also quite telling. And that is on Ballard I like him as a GM but for the first time I feel he may need to as well. Complacency is the biggest problem for this team and it’s hard to fix. Frank detailed all the reasons why the Tennessee coach is better than he is and I know the owner is listening. This level of self deprecation after every loss is tiresome in the fan base is running out of patience quicklyFrank detailed all the reasons why the Tennessee coach is better than he is and I know the owner is listening. This level of self deprecation after every loss is tiresome in the fan base is running out of patience quickly

3 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

It’s amazing how the team has used one scapegoat after another only to find us back in the same place before the season started. Mediocrity has been the mantra for this team for years and so has complacency. It starts at the very top and it trickles down. Jim had a big meltdown on the tarmac at the end of last season and of course somebody had to vouch for Ryan be at Ballard or Reich. I said don’t see how Strasser keeps his job and you know the weekly meetings of the brain truss gets hammered by Irsay but nothing changes. If Ryan is indeed a bust and the jury is still out because of our offense of line blame still goes to #2. The fact that the offense of line has regressed to a point where it’s disgusting it’s also quite telling. And that is on Ballard I like him as a GM but for the first time I feel he may need to as well. Complacency is the biggest problem for this team and it’s hard to fix. Frank detailed all the reasons why the Tennessee coach is better than he is and I know the owner is listening. This level of self deprecation after every loss is tiresome in the fan base is running out of patience quicklyFrank detailed all the reasons why the Tennessee coach is better than he is and I know the owner is listening. This level of self deprecation after every loss is tiresome in the fan base is running out of patience quickly

I think it says a lot they are willing to bench Ryan and not fire strausser. They clearly see something with Ryan that is causing some of the protection issues.

24 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Are they going to put Ryan on IR? Reich just said he will be inactive next week. He he isn’t going to play give us a roster spot.

He means that Ryan won't be activated or the backup this week because of the shoulder.   It sounds like they have not made a decision on who is #2 going forward, either Matt or Nick.   I would think that one of them would need to go off roster to give us more flexibility, so IR for Ryan might be the direction.   Frank didn't project that far ahead yet.

Prediction: Sam Ehlinger under duress all game. Throws 2 pics and fumbles in loss vs Washington. 

QB is not the main problem. We are benching a former MVP and a stud w the game on the line for a nobody. A guy who did good in preseason. How many times have we seen this before across the league? Too many. It never works.

I'm down to make this move when the season is done and over with. Not now. But who knows? Maybe the shoulder sprain is legit? And that is why they're making the move now. Seems like a cop though.

55 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Reality check:  We've managed to spend 133 million on QB's since 2019.  It's insane and Irsay still owes Ryan money for 2023.  Here's the article that goes into detail:

https://overthecap.com/colts-bench-matt-ryan

We also spent 30 million on Brissett.

^^^^^This is why we have no OL 

Congrats. You guys honestly win and you were right. This team is a complete mess.

6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m expecting a lot of designed rollouts and bootlegs being added to the offense.

It will be like a Ryan Tannehill type offense where Sam may actually throw a lot to TEs and help JT and the RBs big time. 

A few thoughts: 

1. Nothing to lose at this point. The Colts we’re going nowhere with Matt Ryan at the helm. 
2. But If they don’t bench Matt Pryor, whose play has been abysmal at every position they’ve tried him at, then they are dooming Sam to the surgical ward. 
Fix the  O line and this has a chance to work. Otherwise, no. 
3. Speaking of which….Sam and the O line will be seeing blitz after blitz until the Colts show they can handle it. Reich and crew had better have them ready for it. 
4. The Colts have talent but the O line and QB play have been atrocious. Sam is a worthwhile throw of the dice.; figure out the RG situation ( maybe a trade??) and things just could get interesting. 
5. If this experiment fails, including an inability to get the O line mess cleaned up, then Frank Reich is history. Ballard may survive….but only barely. 

21 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

If we stink it up and get a high pick, but Sam shows he’s the one, Ballard can trade back and get a Right Guard in the top 10!!

:peek:

Dear God, find a potential blue chip prospect with a top pick. You can find a good OG in middle Rds. 

1 hour ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I am just unsure about Reich. I guess it depends how the team responds to this. Irsay might feel Reich deserves a chance with a new QB. Guess we will see. If Irsay feels this was mostly Ryan he has to realize that it’s not Reich’s fault. Therefore letting him stay.

need help at offence line  need rg and lt. 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Frank looks defeated. He knows he’s gone soon. 

He talks like he’s defeated yesterday he praised Vrabel for being the coach that he is not or never will be. The sudler reporter said that when she talk to Raible he was ticked off because they lost opportunities. Frank comes back and says to her that if we score like we usually do the second half it’ll be a one score game and don’t forget we have Matt Ryan. So yesterday Frank was all about Matt Ryan just tells me this came from Ballard or even higher up

1 minute ago, PRnum1 said:

We let Glow go and he was only making 6.67 M a year

RG is not my focus with a top pick. I want a dynamic football player. Not trade down with OG being a priority.

Glow was a FA signed by the Colts. Meaning you don’t need to trade a high pick back to find a suitable OG. 

Wow

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Shoulder separation 

Huh, wonder how that happened!? SMH. Poor guy 

https://www.tsn.ca/indianapolis-colts-matt-ryan-shoulder-separation-out-sam-ehlinger-1.1867375 

So Ballard is brought in because Grigson ended Lucks career because of a horrible offensive line. 6 years later Ballard's building of the Oline causes, most likely, another career ending injury to a Colts qb. Can't make this crap up lol.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

WOWWWWWWWW!!! I did not see this coming.

I wanted it to happen so that we could see what Sam E could bring to the table but not till we were out of the playoffs. This seems like a last minute resort to save face on part of Reich and Ballard (because if Ryan was injured, they would have made it known as an excuse). Sam E would be like Taylor Heinecke, so we will see what they bring to the table. At least there is something new and shiny to support than old and beaten, I guess. :scratch:

I watched all of Heinecke's college career and his NFL career so far. Seeing Sam play in the preseason, I immediately thought of Heinecke as his comp. They both play sandlot ball well, but struggle pushing the ball downfield on a consistent basis. Keep in mind that they're both shorter QBs, which generally can't stay in the pocket to make a lot of throws. They have to move to specific launch points where they can see further downfield. He might give us a little spark, but I don't expect Sam to do anything special for us. I'll be happy to be proven wrong though.

2 hours ago, PRnum1 said:

I wish Sam the best of luck.  Bringing him in against a weak WA team could be a good move.

Their DL is nasty though.

They might have Chase Young back too, which could make it a very bad day to make his first start.

2 hours ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Watch this is going to help Taylor. Because Sam is a threat to take off. Just like Wentz was.

In no way do I see this helping Taylor. Teams will play closer to the line, pull their safeties up closer and crowd the box. What keeps the defense honest and not selling out to stop the run is a QB that can beat them over the top and make them pay for stacking the box. I don't think Sam is that kind of QB. I honestly expect to see more Heinecke than Hurts when Same takes the field and I don't think that helps our run game.

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m expecting a lot of designed rollouts and bootlegs being added to the offense.

I'm also expecting a lot of improvised rollouts and bootlegs for Sam's own sense of self preservation. :runforhills:

11 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Reich HAS to be gone. Irsay may keep Ballard though. 

Ryan is injured.  What else are Ballard and Reich going to do? Foles sucks so minds well go with Sam and see if he is the future. 6th round qb does not give me a alot of confidence but maybe fun to watch.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

They might have Chase Young back too, which could make it a very bad day to make his first start.

Chase Young did return to practice but is not expected to play vs the Colts. Also, their D has been playing better ever since Chase Young went down with injury, playing together better. So having a rusty Chase Young might be bad for them.

Archived