Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has Taylor regressed?

CR91

Trust me I hate this question too because obviously defenses come in on Monday when they play the colts and they circle JTs name as the number one player they need to stop. You can say defenses are also not scared of our WRs outside of maybe Pitt and their not scared of Ryan so they go full attack mode on JT. I mention all that along with the line issues, but what do I see for three games now? Wide open holes that he misses, hesitantion instead of hitting the hole hard, a number of missed assignments on passpro. It's not been a good start for the season for Taylor and now he's hurt. I don't wanna think all this best RB in the league talk has gone to his head because he seems like a humble guy, but this isn't 2021 Taylor.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

1340816696-850x560.jpeg

I get there are other factors like Frank's play calling, RG, and losing Doyle and Pascal in the run game. You can make an argument Henry is facing those same issues and yet he wrecked us. 

no the real problem is we lost fisher who was a amazing run blocker  and reed and glow  were good run blockers .    then add in doyle who was a amazing run blocker and pascal .    the run blocking is going down hill yesterday i saw a couple plays where taylor got 7 or 8 yards from nothing with unblocked guys meeting him at the line .   we have a bad right guard bad left tackle and wrs and tightends that cant block

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me ask you this. If you ran repeatedly into a stone wall do you think you would regress? Well that's what is happening. Taylor is running into a wall and your 37 year old qb is getting the crap knocked out of him. It is affecting them both in a negative manner

Ok, but you can make that argument for all great backs. Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders. They had terrible teams, but they still produced. I'm trying to hold JT to that standard.

For the highest paid Oline in the league they are currently bottom 5 statistically. Also fans know when a run play is coming from their couch with Franks play calling, 99% percent of the time its between the tackles as well. Nothing outside. Combination of these things would make it difficult on any RB.

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Ok, but you can make that argument for all great backs. Adrian Peterson, Barry Sanders. They had terrible teams, but they still produced. I'm trying to hold JT to that standard.

Dear God….    We’re you asking that question when he ran for 160+ yards vs Houston?

1.).   The line is terrible.   

2.).   The offense has been dysfunctional. 

3.)     He’s hurt.   A bad toe and now a bad ankle sprain.  

Is today Monday?    Why is this so hard for you? 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God….    We’re you asking that question when he ran for 160+ yards vs Houston?

1.).   The line is terrible.   

2.).   The offense has been dysfunctional. 

3.)     He’s hurt.   A bad toe and now a bad ankle sprain.  

Is today Monday?    Why is this so hard for you? 

Who hasn't run on the Texans? Ekeler hasn't done anything all season and he carved them yesterday. Khalil Herbert ran for 160 last week.

11 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

For the highest paid Oline in the league they are currently bottom 5 statistically. Also fans know when a run play is coming from their couch with Franks play calling, 99% percent of the time its between the tackles as well. Nothing outside. Combination of these things would make it difficult on any RB.

Every time we ran yesterday, I kept saying sweep it Taylor after about his 5th carry, we never did. You are right on this one.  We have a back who can run 23MPH once he gets going and didn't do 1 sweep play. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Matt Ryan needs to have a meeting with Frank, if I was QB, I would have Taylor and Hines in at the same time most of the game and run sweeps and screens, extra TE for blocking. Really not that hard to figure out. Then with that extra TE, Matt dumps it off for 6 yards or so on a fake handoff.

33 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Peterson had an elite Oline. Not an exaggerated elite Oline (Colts) but a legit elite Oline. 

51 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let me ask you this. If you ran repeatedly into a stone wall do you think you would regress? Well that's what is happening. Taylor is running into a wall and your 37 year old qb is getting the crap knocked out of him. It is affecting them both in a negative manner

Pretty much sums it up. Ryan is getting blasted and seeing ghosts so he’s either missing open guys or not calling the correct protections at the line. Line is getting no push so Taylor can’t do anything.

4 minutes ago, FanOutOfTown said:

Pretty much sums it up. Ryan is getting blasted and seeing ghosts so he’s either missing open guys or not calling the correct protections at the line. Line is getting no push so Taylor can’t do anything.

The Truth Reality GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Every time we ran yesterday, I kept saying sweep it Taylor after about his 5th carry, we never did. You are right on this one.  We have a back who can run 23MPH once he gets going and didn't do 1 sweep play. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Matt Ryan needs to have a meeting with Frank, if I was QB, I would have Taylor and Hines in at the same time most of the game and run sweeps and screens, extra TE for blocking. Really not that hard to figure out. Then with that extra TE, Matt dumps it off for 6 yards or so on a fake handoff.

They were running sweeps and pitch outs with Henry.  Wake up coach.  Get JT into space.

54 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Who hasn't run on the Texans? Ekeler hasn't done anything all season and he carved them yesterday. Khalil Herbert ran for 160 last week.

And you ignored the rest of the post. 

Bad OL….   Dysfunctional Offense.    Multiple Injuries.      

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because I addressed that already in my opening post. Are you saying he hasn't missed holes? Are you saying he hasn't missed blitz? Taylor imo is running like he did when he was a rookie. Hesitant and not sure where to go. That's all I'm saying 

LOL, the F'Frankers.  Its the same play calls...with different results.  That means that it isn't the play calls.

The answer would lie in what is different from last year, not in what is the same as last year....duh.

Answer:

2021 Fisher > 2022 Pryor (run blocking)

2021 Glow > 2022 Pinter

2021 mid season Wentz > 2022 early season Ryan.

Smith first 4 games 2021 = Smith first 4 games 2022...IOW bad.

2021 Nelson = 2022 Nelson, but WITHOUT the injuries

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

They were running sweeps and pitch outs with Henry.  Wake up coach.  Get JT into space.

how can you run sweeps when your wrs and tight ends cant block ?     there is a problem with how ballard handled the off season you dont get rid of your best blocking tight end and wr  without replacing them .    corners are getting past our wrs nonstop and hitting jt in the back field .   i doubt change of plays would even work without getting better blocking skilled positions .   i know its easy to blame frank but his offense needs two good tightends who also can block and blocking wrs in the run game .   frank is being handicapped by ballard

54 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Add to that teams appear to be pretty much dismissing Ryan throwing many deep balls on conventional downs. Tenn. was bunching around the LOS. By the time Taylor took a little studder step to hit the right hole , they just plain gang tackled him. My suggestion would be to use Campbell more in the vertical game and play fake with more deep balls. 

8 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

It’s not on Taylor. It’s on the horrible play calling and the even worse OL play. The OL isn’t creating any holes for him. It’s a miracle he has any rushing yards this season.

I'm not saying the line has made his job easy, but there have been holes and Taylor is just not finding the hole. Last year, JT and the line were clearly on the same page. Not so much this year so far.

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

@CR91 suggesting taylor has regressed is a very bad take...

again i'm not saying the line is helping him. we're holding jt in the same category as nfl greats like peterson and sanders. go look at peterson's line when he ran for 2000. he had a rookie LT and christine ponder as his QB.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

again i'm not saying the line is helping him. we're holding jt in the same category as nfl greats like peterson and sanders. go look at peterson's line when he ran for 2000. he had a rookie LT and christine ponder as his QB.

dont put words in my mouth i dont compare him to legends. but he is compared to the very best that are alive right now and playing.

but any title on this forum that has Taylor and Regressed in it, is probably a bad take. Even with disclaimers. 

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

dont put words in my mouth i dont compare him to legends. but he is compared to the very best that are alive right now and playing.

but any title on this forum that has Taylor and Regressed in it, is probably a bad take. Even with disclaimers. 

You want today? Henry ate us alive yesterday with his best linemen on IR and no WRs on the outside that anyone respects.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

You want today? Henry ate us alive yesterday with his best linemen on IR and no WRs on the outside that anyone respects.

yeah you're delusional if you think Taylor isn't considered a top 2 or top 3 back by 90+ % of the NFL

that includes after what happened on sunday. 

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

I just saw a video. Posted it in the other thread. Rodgers made such a difference in that second half on Henry and finally out snapped facyson. Bradley finally seeing what he can do in the run game too.

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah you're delusional if you think Taylor isn't considered a top 2 or top 3 back by 90+ % of the NFL

that includes after what happened on sunday. 

Now you're putting words in my mouth. I don't know where you've been, but I've seen dozens of people compare JT to Peterson. I'm just saying JT has not shown up. Is he top 2? Course he is. Has he been this season? Not even close.

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

I just saw a video. Posted it in the other thread. Rodgers made such a difference in that second half on Henry and finally out snapped facyson. Bradley finally seeing what he can do in the run game too.

Rogers speed off the edge is nice

Archived