Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Has Taylor regressed?

CR91

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

Or maybe the league has figured out how to defend the Frank Reich offense. And Frank hasn’t adjusted?

Good lord.  Not saying Frank is great, but really.....

Its been the same offense for 5 years.  The same play calls for 5 years.   Its the O that used to run Marlon * Mack between the tackles so successfully that many people on this board were calling Mack a "near elite" RB.  LOL. 

What have DCs figured out now that they wouldn't have already figured out by about the 5th game of 2018?

What they have figured out is that Pryor can't block as well as AC...that PC and Dulin and Pierce are not the threat compared to TY.   That nobody has replaced Doyle yet...especially the guy who played behind him last year.  And they have observed that Nelson is playing about only as well as Glow used to.

Who should Frank adjust with?   The two rookies at WR and TE, the journeyman 6th round LT and the pumped up 5th round TE playing G.    If we had the equivalent of AC, TY, Doyle, and Glow, Frank would not have to adjust...right?

And just above, some other guy actually blamed the HC for JT never getting 100 yards against the Titans.   Is that how the critics work in the NFL...whenever a RB is held to under a hondo they go straight to the HC to blame?  In fact, I don't think I have ever heard a HC being criticized for that in the 45 years I've watched NFL football.  LOL.  Usually they go straight to the talent of the D compared to the talent of the O.   

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CR91 said:

You want today? Henry ate us alive yesterday with his best linemen on IR and no WRs on the outside that anyone respects.

You realize Henry is his own OL?  The dude is a HOF level back and has the runs and chops to prove it over years.  He has never had a great OL.  He is a great back but during the Buffalo game when his OL blocked badly Henry had like 25 yds on 13 carries.  

1 minute ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

You realize Henry is his own OL?  The dude is a HOF level back and has the runs and chops to prove it over years.  He has never had a great OL.  He is a great back but during the Buffalo game when his OL blocked badly Henry had like 25 yds on 13 carries.  

Are we not holding Taylor to the same standards as Henry?

2 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

We are.  JT OL is bad.  But JT is still a great player.  Even great backs need decent blocking.  Simmons and Autry absoultely owned the A and B gaps yesterday.  As soon as JT got the ball 96 and 98 were on him because Q and Kelly just could not match them physically.  

Ok, but how is that any different then Tennessee? Their missing their best olinemen and it's not like they have A.J Brown anymore to take attention away from Henry.

JT is the only Colt I would not trade.  But I am ready to move on from 99, 53, and 56.  I want their cap money to build a real team.  

Just now, CR91 said:

Ok, but how is that any different then Tennessee? Their missing their best olinemen and it's not like they have A.J Brown anymore to take attention away from Henry.

Biggest difference is TN is built around Henry.  

We arent.  They have an identity.  We dont.  We are finesse.  

Just now, Rhodelesstraveled said:

JT is speed.  JT does not have the power that Henry does.  Henry is power and speed.  That TD run Henry had called back for a hold was a big boy run.  He had Grover and Moore bounce off of him.  JT runs away from that when he has a crease.  This OL is not providing any creases now.   

JT has plenty of power. We've all seen him break tackles and fall forward. He's not Henry powerful, but who is.

6 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

JT is speed.  JT does not have the power that Henry does.  Henry is power and speed.  That TD run Henry had called back for a hold was a big boy run.  He had Grover and Moore bounce off of him.  JT runs away from that when he has a crease.  This OL is not providing any creases now.   

Henry is hall of fame material to me, by my eye test. He needs 2 or 3 more great years stats wise and he is in. Tannehill has to love playing there with a guy like that. If I was a QB and had a RB like that I know I could play average and win lmao 

I've said on this forum we need to run JT the same way.  30 times a game.  Irrespecitve of the OL.  Run unbalanced sets.  Eventually he will get a crease and boom.  Take the ball out of the QB hands.  Our QB suck and is a TO machine and we have no LT.  

We need to be running with big boy TE sets and an extra OL.  

Just now, CR91 said:

Are we not holding Taylor to the same standards as Henry?

It's a false debate. 

Reich is easy to defend against. Teams have stayed with same D vs Indy since late yesterday. 99% focus on 0-10 yards. No need to stack boxes a bunch, just stay shallow. 

And Vrabel is a D (DL) guy. Has JT run 100 or more vs TN?

And at least Vrabel has Tannehill tossing intermediate passes on a consistency basis, and uses better route combos. Helps Henry to an extent.

But everyone knows Henry is better in short yards..  

Has Taylor regressed? IMO big NO!

It's the play calling and blocking is not there for him. Plus he may have lost confidence in this over payed OL. I don't think there is a running back in the league that can run in this predictable offense. If your watching the game s about  80% of the time you know what the play is. If we know how does the million dollar coaches and defense of the opposing team not know??

Frank needs to wake up, and Ballard better change his drafting and FA thinking.

Both Frank and Ballard IMO are on very thin ice.

I don't think tanking has to be issue. Keep playing what we already are playing basically same is tanking.

Frank needs to stop being so predictable (wont happen) and Ballard stop spending all the money in the trenches when the players you're paying are not doing their jobs... (wont happen) I don't want to make anyone upset it's just what is being seen and no stats need to be shown...

Go Colts!!!!

5 minutes ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Playing nasty ball isnt sexy but it would stop the TO and hide the OL scars and use the TE more.  It would also limit the LT problem because Pryor can run block

If Matt Ryan took sacks instead of fumbling, that would definitely be a start. If we go 6 OL or max. protect more often, it might help us break JT into the next level if a few blocks are done right. I feel it can happen.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If Matt Ryan took sacks instead of fumbling, that would definitely be a start. If we go 6 OL or max. protect more often, it might help us break JT into the next level if a few blocks are done right. I feel it can happen.

110% agree. I'm also for benching players that are not doing their jobs.

Put Sam or Foles in if Ryan is going to turn the Ball over.

8 hours ago, CR91 said:

Trust me I hate this question too because obviously defenses come in on Monday when they play the colts and they circle JTs name as the number one player they need to stop. You can say defenses are also not scared of our WRs outside of maybe Pitt and their not scared of Ryan so they go full attack mode on JT. I mention all that along with the line issues, but what do I see for three games now? Wide open holes that he misses, hesitantion instead of hitting the hole hard, a number of missed assignments on passpro. It's not been a good start for the season for Taylor and now he's hurt. I don't wanna think all this best RB in the league talk has gone to his head because he seems like a humble guy, but this isn't 2021 Taylor.

Is it Taylor or is it the offensive line? He’s also facing loaded boxes. 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Oh look. Someone agrees. I guess I'm not alone. No I did not say mostly. I listed a bunch of different factors and said Taylor is our best player. Don't put words in my mouth

Most of the time I don’t think you even know what you’re saying.   Been that way all year.   

Remember about 4-5 months ago I said you worry too much and you said you do and your wife tells you that all the time.   Sound familiar?   

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Most of the time I don’t think you even know what you’re saying.   Been that way all year.   

Remember about 4-5 months ago I said you worry too much and you said you do and your wife tells you that all the time.   Sound familiar?   

This isn't really a worry. More of an observation. Taylor is great, but right now he's struggling. You wanna solely blame the oline, fine. I'm just saying Taylor deserves some of the blame. Not most. Not even half. Just some.

On 10/4/2022 at 1:40 AM, GoColts8818 said:

it’s the line up front mixed with play calling.  Don’t over think it.  

it's only 8 percent, and i bet it mostly comes on first downs. then the colts are 2nd and long, , and they empty the box. it isnt rocket science, again another flaw with "stats".. to many americans didnt take statistics in college, which is mainly taught to show you how people manipulate certain narratives using statistics...

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

it's only 8 percent, and i bet it mostly comes on first downs. then the colts are 2nd and long, , and they empty the box. it isnt rocket science, again another flaw with "stats".. to many americans didnt take statistics in college, which is mainly taught to show you how people manipulate certain narratives using statistics...

I took a complicated stats class in college at IUPUI, got an A even but after that my brain was mush lmao , no more of that, that is @EastStreetgig :thmup:

37 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I took a complicated stats class in college at IUPUI, got an A even but after that my brain was mush lmao , no more of that, that is @EastStreetgig :thmup:

the fact it's only 8 percent just further proves how predictable reichs play calling really is... if they only feel the need to stack it 8% that means they can pretty well predict when we are running. otherwise the box would be heavy more often. 

On 10/4/2022 at 1:40 AM, GoColts8818 said:

it’s the line up front mixed with play calling.  Don’t over think it.  

This guy is cherry picking, and telling the portion of story. Lazy to be honest. 

I posted all box rates. Stack, light, and base/normal. All the rates are near to last year.

Where the guy is lazy, he doesn't discuss YBC, which is an important indicator. 

And he doesn't mention he was #1 in stuffed runs last year. And only #4 this year.

It's simple. Ds have adjusted (since late last year).

Film shows teams stacking when obvious short yardage, and we run into it. 

Film shows blitzing (also considered stacked), and we run into it too.

Film shows teams having DBs (Ss a lot) shallow in LB area, to help defend run. 

Film shows our OL scheme is too much finesse and complex. 

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Short yardage, 1st downs, and blitzed are typically considered stacks most times. Also, teams do both run-blitz and pass-blitz (or multi purpose). Clog gaps... 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's not complicated :-) (our situation).. Stats are complicated. 

On 10/3/2022 at 7:21 PM, Hoose said:

Or maybe the league has figured out how to defend the Frank Reich offense. And Frank hasn’t adjusted?

I think you are spot on with this comment.    Frank has not shown that he can make any adjustments to his game plan to take advantage of the talents his players have.  

Taylor may fall out of the top 20 in rushing yards after this week.   It doesn't bother me much because I still think he is one of the best RB's in the league, if not the best.  But we all know sports media uses stats to make there case for the best.

Wow 

13 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

the fact it's only 8 percent just further proves how predictable reichs play calling really is... if they only feel the need to stack it 8% that means they can pretty well predict when we are running. otherwise the box would be heavy more often. 

All of us on this board (even my wife who is on her phone 3/4 of the time, casually watching, looks up every now and then) can predict the play call from our couch. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think you are spot on with this comment.    Frank has not shown that he can make any adjustments to his game plan to take advantage of the talents his players have.  

Taylor may fall out of the top 20 in rushing yards after this week.   It doesn't bother me much because I still think he is one of the best RB's in the league, if not the best.  But we all know sports media uses stats to make there case for the best.

What are the odds that all the Colts players regressed at the same time? Maybe it's not the players?

1. I think JT and the entire O-line are adjusting to the new OL coach and new run blocking scheme. It's too complicated with too may moving parts, and if just 1 part isn't operating perfectly, the whole thing falls apart. It's been falling apart. Both in the run game and passing game.

2. The new OL blocking scheme explains why JT may not be seeing the holes. Just like everyone else, he has to adjust. He has to anticipate where the hole is going to be and when it's not there, he's too late in identifying where the open holes are. He'll get there eventually with time and live reps.

3. JT played zero snaps in the pre-season behind this O-line and the new blocking scheme. He's learning on the fly through the season.

4. For the first time since high school, JT has missed practice, and now a game. He's clearly injured/hurt.

16 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Still making excuses for reality.  Kelly and Q are way overated by media and fans.  

8 hours ago, Rhodelesstraveled said:

Still making excuses for reality.  Kelly and Q are way overated by media and fans.  

making excuses? please highlight the part that is an excuse in my message.

why don't you try making sense. 

Archived