Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Mahomes is 6'2", so is Max Duggan, and both are mobile to use their legs only when necessary but move around to pass first. That is why I am not worried. Duggan has the Tim Tebow effect on his teammates that he is a winner and can inspire teammates.

Yea do see any scouts with duggan in top 10

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Yea do see any scouts with duggan in top 10

He is Round 2 tops with end of Round 1 possibility, IMO. 

Besides, if Brady retires or the Giants want to move on from Daniel Jones, you could add 2 more teams likely picking in the 20s to the list of QB needy teams too. Saints got Chris Olave but never understood how they put the cart before the horse without a QB? Now the Eagles have their Top 5 first rounder pick.

On 11/27/2022 at 2:41 PM, NorthernColt said:

Guy no one is talking about that is definitely back on my radar is Michael Penix. Threw for over 4000 yards this year. Has a cannon for an arm. Lefty so some might not like him just by aesthetics. Mobile too, but hasn't used it much recently due to a knee injury in the past couple years. Captain in his first year as a transfer too.

Absolutely balled out in the Apple cup last night vs Washington State. 

His medicals will be huge for him pre draft.

I have Penix envy....

Ok, I'll let myself out now.

22 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I have Penix envy....

Ok, I'll let myself out now.

@NorthernColt

Here's a good article on where Pennix Jr. And Bo Nix stand. I think they both return to college to improve draft stock in a relatively weaker 2024 QB class.

https://theathletic.com/3894732/2022/11/15/michael-penix-jr-bo-nix-nfl-draft/?amp=1

16 hours ago, chad72 said:

@NorthernColt

Here's a good article on where Pennix Jr. And Bo Nix stand. I think they both return to college to improve draft stock in a relatively weaker 2024 QB class.

https://theathletic.com/3894732/2022/11/15/michael-penix-jr-bo-nix-nfl-draft/?amp=1

I'd argue completely the other way. The 2024 class looks MUCH stronger.

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

@NorthernColt

They both have been in College for seemingly 8 years......   At some point, they cant keep going back to college :)

On 11/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I wouldn’t count the Falcons, Raiders, Seahawks, and Texans as sure fire teams needing a QB. Davis Mills has played decent all things considered and a lot of analysts have said he would have been the top QB prospect in the 2022 QB class. 

Falcons drafted Desmond Ridder in the third round. The Raiders have Carr who played well until McDaniels came in. I expect them to fire McDaniels and keep Carr. The Seahawks has Geno who hasn’t hit the Fitzmagic wall yet so they’ll keep him around.

Carolina is 100% taking a QB. Washington will be as well. I just wonder how many of the teams drafting early are going to like the QBs after Young, Stroud, and Levis. I like Hooker and Duggan, but I just think back to this past draft where one team really liked Pickett and the rest went 3rd round or later.

Lol. TexNs are going qb. They have the # 1 pik and are the worst team in football. Raiders are not firing Daniel's.  They are showing improvement and Davis is still paying Gruden. 

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. TexNs are going qb. They have the # 1 pik and are the worst team in football. Raiders are not firing Daniel's.  They are showing improvement and Davis is still paying Gruden. 

Yeah, Davis Mills is just a solid backup, who can come in place of the starter and try to not make mistakes while letting run game flow. That's all about his ceiling.

Now that Texans have benched him, it's very evident they'd take the QB they like. Considering that they didn't like a QB in last draft, they may have been waiting for this upcoming draft class, while keeping Mills as starter this season. That experiment is done, and only job they need to do yet is to draft the Right QB at #1 overall. 

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

My sentiment has definitely changed since then. Davis has been benched and the team is set to have the number 1 overall draft pick. They’ll definitely go QB.

21 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

I'd argue completely the other way. The 2024 class looks MUCH stronger.

So what if the same thing happens? What if we try and wait till 2024 and there’s a bunch of bad teams again or the guys from that class don’t perform well?

I really like Max Duggan. I see some very good leadership tangibles, a decent base on mechanics and dare I say it an early ability to read some defenses. He's a smart runner, knows when to stay in the pocket and throw and when to just take the yards in front of him. Height doesn't bother me as much. 

But he might go earlier than expected if he keeps his Heisman-level performance up during the bowl season. It really depends on how the teams around us act. Multiple could panic and trade up. 

Edit: I say this if we get a LT first in regards to drafting Max. I know he's not currently listed as a 1st round pick. 

The Bears have the Packers, Eagles, Bills, Vikings, and Lions.  If they only win one(good chance), they should stay right where they are.  

Need to cheer against them.  The Bears are probably our best option to make a deal.  

27 minutes ago, #12. said:

The Bears have the Packers, Eagles, Bills, Vikings, and Lions.  If they only win one(good chance), they should stay right where they are.  

Need to cheer against them.  The Bears are probably our best option to make a deal.  

Bears are gonna be the great option for almost all QB needy teams to trade up. The question is which teams would be willing to give up what they'd demand and how far each of these teams would need to move up. 

Would Colts be able to and be willing to? Will CB do it? 

Going by the scouting reports, Colts seem to be focusing on next tier of QBs that they could get. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Going by the scouting reports, Colts seem to be focusing on next tier of QBs that they could get. 

Up until 10 days ago, they were still thinking playoffs, so that makes sense.  Now it's looking like a top 7 pick is possible, putting them in striking distance.  Eberflus coming from the Colts might give them a leg up in making a deal.  He might even be interested in a few Colts players.

Would the Colts be willing to do it?  At this stage, they have no choice but to do it.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also Big 12 offensive player of the year. He’s officially my guy. I really think this guy is special. He’s got the Tim Tebow intangibles, but the physical traits to play QB at the next level. 

Some team is going to get a special guy that doesn't give up. But then the NFL is a brutal brutal place, winning is never easy for any QB but you need to provide plenty of support and build around him. Didn't know about his heart condition he had surgery for. He is definitely not a project as a four year starter, IMO. I am thinking Round 2 just like Derek Carr, Drew Brees, that is where he will go and he will have to earn it. He will actually do better on a team like the Bucs or Giants where the support already exists in a better fashion, IMO. He could be the opposite of what Zach Wilson will be in NY. 

Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, Jimmy Garoppolo, Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott, and DeShaun Watson headline the 6-foot-2 quarterbacks in the NFL, not a shabby list that Max Duggan would join. If you look at the sweet spot - Jimmy G Round 2, Lamar Jackson end of Round 1, Aaron Rodgers close to end of Round 1, Derek Carr early Round 2, Drew Brees early Round 2. Round 2 is where Max Duggan will most likely go, hoping it is to the Colts. If not, he will make some other team very happy. Round 2 has not been a bad round for NFL QBs, folks, just saying.

If I’m ranking the QBs who should be available whenever the Colts pick, here’s how I have them stacked:

1. Max Duggan, TCU

2. Will Levis, Kentucky

3. Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

4. Jaren Hall, BYU

5. Bo Nix, Oregon

6. Anthony Richardson

Levis has better traits than Duggan, but Duggan has outperformed him twice over this season. Levis is really just an inch taller with a bigger arm. Hooker is where he’s at because of the injury. If he was healthy he’d be up there with Duggan.

Hall is kind of small but he’s fast and takes really good care of the football. Nix grew a lot at Oregon and has great upside. Richardson needs the most work out of anyone and you wonder if he’ll be out of the league in 3 years. 

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

If I’m ranking the QBs who should be available whenever the Colts pick, here’s how I have them stacked:

1. Max Duggan, TCU

2. Will Levis, Kentucky

4. Jaren Hall, BYU

5. Bo Nix, Oregon

6. Anthony Richardson

Levis has better traits than Duggan, but Duggan has outperformed him twice over this season. Levis is really just an inch taller with a bigger arm. Hooker is where he’s at because of the injury. If he was healthy he’d be up there with Duggan.

Hall is kind of small but he’s fast and takes really good care of the football. Nix grew a lot at Oregon and has great upside. Richardson needs the most work out of anyone and you wonder if he’ll be out of the league in 3 years. 

I like Duggan as well, but I think round 1 is too early for him

I like Hooker a bit better,  but 14 is too early for him as well

I would take BPA in round 1 (If we cant move up) and decide between Duggan and a Hooker :) in round 2 or 3

46 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like Duggan as well, but I think round 1 is too early for him

I like Hooker a bit better,  but 14 is too early for him as well

I would take BPA in round 1 (If we cant move up) and decide between Duggan and a Hooker :) in round 2 or 3

Knowing where the Colts are, I can see these happening:

Scenario 1:

1. Move up with Bears giving up a future 1st rounder (doing what it takes) to draft Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

2. Move up to end of Round 1 like a Tony Ugoh trade for Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland, or Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia, both of whom I like giving up our high 2nd and 3rd

3. If we don't move up to get our OT, Top of Round 3 - Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee/Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama/Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Then go from there getting value on Day 3.

Scenario 2:

1. Stay put and get Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State 

2. Round 2 - Max Duggan, QB, TCU

3. Round 3 - Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee/Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama/Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Then go on from there getting value on Day 3.

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Knowing where the Colts are, I can see these happening:

Scenario 1:

1. Move up with Bears giving up a future 1st rounder (doing what it takes) to draft Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

2. Move up to end of Round 1 like a Tony Ugoh trade for Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland, or Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia, both of whom I like giving up our high 2nd and 3rd

3. If we don't move up to get our OT, Top of Round 3 - Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee/Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama/Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Then go from there getting value on Day 3.

Scenario 2:

1. Stay put and get Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State 

2. Round 2 - Max Duggan, QB, TCU

3. Round 3 - Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee/Eli Ricks, CB, Alabama/Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

Then go on from there getting value on Day 3.

I dont want to give up a future 1st round pick for Levis.

QB1 or QB2? absolutely

Take him at Levis at 14?, I could be talked into that, but he isnt my first choice

I think you and I are much higher on Duggan than most....  He might be there in round 3, but if the Colts like Duggan in round 2, Im all for it

43 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I don't want to give up a future 1st round pick for Levis.

QB1 or QB2? absolutely

Take him at Levis at 14?, I could be talked into that, but he isnt my first choice

I think you and I are much higher on Duggan than most....  He might be there in round 3, but if the Colts like Duggan in round 2, Im all for it

That might be the asking price though if you have to move to No.2 with Bears from (say) No.10. Otherwise, you might have to wish and pray that both Seattle and Carolina in the 3-5 range will BOTH pass on a QB, very unlikely. 

Yeah, Kyler Murray is 5'10" and RW is 5'11", so not sure if you get a chance to go with Bryce Young at No.2 who is also 5'10", Colts will do it. If they move to No.2, they will have to pick between Bryce Young and Will Levis. That would also be the price they will most likely pay, or give up a current 2nd and a future 2nd at minimum, IMO. Other teams would be willing to do that too, so the only thing that would distinguish us would be a future 1st. Hence my logical conclusion, if we move up to No.2

14 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

1. Max Duggan, TCU

2. Will Levis, Kentucky

4. Jaren Hall, BYU

5. Bo Nix, Oregon

6. Anthony Richardson

Duggan is probably going to be available in round 4 or 5 .... (If we want him)

He doesnt show in top 100 draft boards or as a top 10 QB talent.... I mean..... anywhere

on anyones list (except you and I  :) )

I believe that QB1, QB2, and QB3 (Levis) will be gone by the time we pick

2nd round picks for Colts

1) Hooker

2) DJ U.

OR

3) Richardson

I would could see next year starting with Foles then letting one of these 3 come in as ready

I would take Duggan in round 4 or 5 (i think he will still be there) as a backup for the future with possible upside

Sam isnt an NFL starter nor an NFL back up

Ryan needs to ride off into the sunset

Assuming we don’t trade for Jordan Love,  who would be my 1st choice,  I think it’s more likely we trade up to get Levis. Not a big trade up but just enough to get him.  I don’t want any part of a quarterback drafted in the 4th round and beyond.  3rd rd too for that matter.  The chances for success with those rounds are extremely small. A wasted pick imo.  Jimmy G would be a great fit as well.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Assuming we don’t trade for Jordan Love,  who would be my 1st choice,  I think it’s more likely we trade up to get Levis. Not a big trade up but just enough to get him.  I don’t want any part of a quarterback drafted in the 4th round and beyond.  3rd rd too for that matter.  The chances for success with those rounds are extremely small. A wasted pick imo.  Jimmy G would be a great fit as well.

I do think the Colts will be gun shy about going after another vet. Everything is lining up for us to move up for Will Levis, just a hunch.

But then we have all been wrong before, and Ballard would get Ringo for CB at No.10 without moving up or something like that, and go for QBs in Rounds 2 and 5 with an OT and WR in between. :) 

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I do think the Colts will be gun shy about going after another vet. Everything is lining up for us to move up for Will Levis, just a hunch.

But then we have all been wrong before, and Ballard would get Ringo for CB at No.10 without moving up or something like that, and go for QBs in Rounds 2 and 5 with an OT and WR in between. :) 

Ballard has always said he's not taking a QB just to take one.  To me, that's what Tanner McKee and possibly a few others would feel like.  It seems Ballard has been waiting on a chance at elite talent.

If it only takes one first to get to #2, they'll gladly give it to Eberflus, I'm guessing.

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I would be very gun shy for an older vet like Rogers or Brady but a vet like Love or Jimmy G I would be fine with.  Love has been stuck in purgatory through no fault of his own.  But I consider him a very talented quarterback who needs a chance to play.  I think Levis is our 1st choice but I’m worried he just might get picked before we get our chance.  

26 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I would be very gun shy for an older vet like Rogers or Brady but a vet like Love or Jimmy G I would be fine with.  Love has been stuck in purgatory through no fault of his own.  But I consider him a very talented quarterback who needs a chance to play.  I think Levis is our 1st choice but I’m worried he just might get picked before we get our chance.  

So if Love plays well and we have a top 8 Pick what to do?

Pay the ransom to pick 2 if it's available? Or pick 3?

Trade A or THE pick for Love rather than take Levis at 3? GB should think about a high enough pick that would get their future QB.  

Would Irsay and our new coach want to bet on Jimmy G getting the Colts to a SB in his remaining prime years?
 Bottom line, is it Best to go with a Rookie contract QB $$$ WISE? 

I look forward to following how Love does.

/

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

So if Love plays well and we have a top 8 Pick what to do?

Pay the ransom to pick 2 if it's available? Or pick 3?

Trade A or THE pick for Love rather than take Levis at 3? GB should think about a high enough pick that would get their future QB.  

Would Irsay and our new coach want to bet on Jimmy G getting the Colts to a SB in his remaining prime years?
 Bottom line, is it Best to go with a Rookie contract QB $$$ WISE? 

I look forward to following how Love does.

A lot of good questions that we will have a better handle on when the season ends.  Love is not scheduled to play again this week.  I believe they have a bye with us after this weekend games so who knows what the future holds for Love after the bye.  It will be interesting to see where the Packers draft position ends up along with ours as well.  There are many paths we could choose to go down. It will sure be a wild off season.

/

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why is anyone assuming that Love is available? 

These comments about just making trades like they are as easy as just making a phone call is humorous. 

Yeah, if anything the Packers would want to move on from Rodgers to Love, like the Chiefs moved on from Alex Smith to Mahomes. 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yeah, if anything the Packers would want to move on from Rodgers to Love, like the Chiefs moved on from Alex Smith to Mahomes. 

With the friction that has gone on between Rogers and the front office of the Packers over the last few years I would think it would be Rogers that would be traded. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

With the friction that has gone on between Rogers and the front office of the Packers over the last few years I would think it would be Rogers that would be traded. 

I doubt he wants to come to the AFC to go against State Farm compadre Mahomes or Allen or Burrow.

Or, maybe he does, to Nashville where he has a home. Packers will be glad to send him to the AFC more than anything else. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why is anyone assuming that Love is available? 

These comments about just making trades like they are as easy as just making a phone call is humorous. 

Because there are current articles and reports out there mentioning his name along with other quarterbacks who could be available in the off-season.  The take is could be.  It’s that time of year.  In fact there is an article referring to three quarterbacks the Colts could target in the off-season.  They are Love, Jimmy G. and Will Levis.  It will be interesting to see if the Packers sit Rodgers and play Love as their season ends.  Possibly trying to show case him for a possible trade.  They are tied to Rodgers for at least another year.  The thinking is this could be the ideal time to trade Love and draft a quarterback early to take his spot.  They will be drafting early.

13 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Because there are current articles and reports out there mentioning his name along with other quarterbacks who could be available in the off-season.  The take is could be.  It’s that time of year.  In fact there is an article referring to three quarterbacks the Colts could target in the off-season.  They are Love, Jimmy G. and Will Levis.  It will be interesting to see if the Packers sit Rodgers and play Love as their season ends.  Possibly trying to show case him for a possible trade.  They are tied to Rodgers for at least another year.  The thinking is this could be the ideal time to trade Love and draft a quarterback early to take his spot.  They will be drafting early.

It would be in the Packers best interest to trade Rogers, not Love. Just because the media puts things out doesn't necessarily mean it's feasible or true. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It would be in the Packers best interest to trade Rogers, not Love. Just because the media puts things out doesn't necessarily mean it's feasible or true. 

Really.  I never said it was true.  I said it was that time of year.  And Love’s name is out there.  That’s all.  

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Really.  I never said it was true.  I said it was that time of year.  And Love’s name is out there.  That’s all.  

I wasn't specifically referring directly to you personally, just keeping it real in regards to what the media puts out.  More like a general comment. :dunno:

Archived