Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

2 hours ago, #12. said:

The point being you waited four years to have a shot at a top 5 pick type QB.  You can take a shot on a Richardson type in the 2nd or 3rd round practically every year.  

True. The same applies to Duggan. 

If Levis is in striking distance Ballard should go get him or Irsay should tell him to.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, #12. said:

As for getting up to the 2nd or 3rd pick, Atlanta and Carolina seem to be our competition.  Every other team who might draft a QB is relatively far down.  Would the Bears or Seahawks want to drop to the 20s?

It's definitely doable.  Now or never.

That typically takes you out of range for drafting a blue chipper.

Let’s take it case by case.

1. If Panthers wanted to mortgage the farm and were that kind of team, they’d have given up what the Browns gave up for Watson. They chose not to and did a different trade for Sam Darnold. So less likely they overpay heavily for moving from the teens to No.2 or No.3

2. Falcons haven’t seen what Ridder could bring to the table. They have been redshirting him behind Mariota so they can start him eventually. I really doubt they want to muddy the waters by giving up a boatload of picks while they need more talent infusions into the roster via the draft. Ridley traded to Jaguars, on the hook for Ryan etc. leaving them dependent on draft picks more than FA.

3. Bears - they moved up to draft Justin Fields and they realize the blue chippers in the draft go down as you move into the 20 range like most GMs do. They’re not going to chance missing out on elite defensive talent by moving back far. 29 points 5 games in a row and losing all of them, they need D talent.

4. Seahawks have the luxury of 2 first round picks like the Lions. Should they need a QB, they have the luxury of developing a guy like Richardson behind Geno Smith after drafting him later in Round 1, no true need for them to move back to the 20s except for gaining lots of picks. Again Sam Darnold beat them completing just over 10 passes and they should get elite defensive talent at the top of the draft like the Bears.

We will revisit these once draft positions settle down after this season.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

No idea if it was in this thread but I recently had that same conversation with someone else - Richardson seems really really big reach on paper for top 10... maybe even end of round 1. I felt the same exact way about Josh Allen coming out of college. And if you take a look at their stats in college, they are almost identical. They both had HORRIBLE problems with accuracy and some decisionmaking. They have similar physical and athletic profiles, they both make huge throws, they both overthrow receivers, they both use their mobility as a weapon in the run game. They both were completing like 55% of their passes. BUT just because the outlier that is Josh Allen worked out, doesn't mean you should be hoping to replicate that with another similar QB. With that said - I can absolutely see a team falling in love with Richardson's traits and drafting him top 10. I had Josh Allen as R2-3 QB and I feel similarly about Richardson. I can understand why a team would draft him that high... I would just prefer that it's not my team... unless I was really sure about the intel they are getting about him in regards to his drive to succeed, work ethic, etc. 

The funny thing is Allen has regressed and his problems with decision making and accuracy have returned.  His interceptions are up and his decision making late in games especially have cost them games.  He loves to run.  Too much for my liking.  Very quickly leaves the pocket if he sees any potential openings.  Talented but his Superman ego takes over too much for me.  Another guy who got his commercials before he won anything.

18 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The funny thing is Allen has regressed and his problems with decision making and accuracy have returned.  His interceptions are up and his decision making late in games especially have cost them games.  He loves to run.  Too much for my liking.  Very quickly leaves the pocket if he sees any potential openings.  Talented but his Superman ego takes over too much for me.  Another guy who got his commercials before he won anything.

So was Peyton and his commercials but since he was ours, most of us looked the other way. I don't think that has anything to do with his level of play regressing. Teams catch up to strengths and weaknesses of a QB, like the Bengals have with Mahomes etc. and it is up to the coaches and QB to eventually figure it out and correct it. Every QB, even Peyton and Brady, go through rough patches even during their prime. It is their ability to correct it that makes them better. Allen has been playing smarter and letting his excellent D make their plays. He must have heard the same words that Dungy told Peyton "it is OK to punt" :) and ever since Thanksgiving with that hard fought win vs Lions on the road, he has been playing better. He has more Favre to him, for sure.

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

So was Peyton and his commercials but since he was ours, most of us looked the other way. I don't think that has anything to do with his level of play regressing. Teams catch up to strengths and weaknesses of a QB, like the Bengals have with Mahomes etc. and it is up to the coaches and QB to eventually figure it out and correct it. Every QB, even Peyton and Brady, go through rough patches even during their prime. It is their ability to correct it that makes them better. Allen has been playing smarter and letting his excellent D make their plays. He must have heard the same words that Dungy told Peyton "it is OK to punt" :) and ever since Thanksgiving with that hard fought win vs Lions on the road, he has been playing better. He has more Favre to him, for sure.

I don't remember seeing Peyton in any commercials until he won an MVP or SB.  That was a long time ago.  Of course he might have done local commercials I didn't see but that's different.  Making terrible decisions on throwing the ball is on the player.  Teams can take away receivers but throwing ill advised throws trying to be the hero and garnish all the attention can pay off when it works but looks pretty dumb when it doesn't.   He is reverting back to his bad old habits.  We will see if it doesn't resurface again.  I have a feeling it will.  He loves being the center of attention.  It's who he is. 

Just now, richard pallo said:

I don't remember seeing Peyton in any commercials until he won an MVP or SB.  That was a long time ago.  Of course he might have done local commercials I didn't see but that's different.  Making terrible decisions on throwing the ball is on the player.  Teams can take away receivers but throwing ill advised throws trying to be the hero and garnish all the attention can pay off when it works but looks pretty dumb when it doesn't.   He is reverting back to his bad old habits.  We will see if it doesn't resurface again.  I have a feeling it will.  He loves being the center of attention.  It's who he is. 

Hmmm....think again. Peyton did not win a SB till his 9th year and "Cut that meat" and "Sprint commercials with a mustache" were already in place before he won a SB, DirectTV commercials were in place before he won an MVP, go look it up. Also, Peyton did lead the league with 28 INTs in his rookie year and continued to throw untimely picks in the playoffs several years later too. It goes with the territory if you play QB. QBs always think they can make the play and make the throw, it is always a fine line.

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He's not even regressed that much. His raw efficiency stats are a bit down in the last few games, but not THAT much down. By PFF rating he's still the second rated QB in the league this season. He is having the second highest QBR, Y/G, Y/A, completion % of his career, right now he's at second rushing yards in his career but by the end of the year it might be his best rushing year... He's still having a hell of a season when you consider he's the whole of that offense. In a certain way he's playing like Luck used to play - no run game, questionable protection, questionable receivers past WR1. He's everything to that offense. 

So I am not on here much but as of late I am gonna jump on the Hooker bandwagon.   

The Hendon Hooker bandwagon  so as not to confuse some of you.     

Reasons.  Big arm, quick release, mobile and can run.   Apparently very smart and has good character.  And NFL QB size 

And most importantly would be in reach for the Colts in the 2nd round.     While we use the 1st pick to get the best player on the board and I hope its WR or DE. 

I don't care about his age.    QB's are playing longer careers these days but if you want a running QB it will probably be a shorter shelf life.     

2022 stats   In 11 games   3100+ yds  27 TDs  2 INTS and 5 rushing TDs 

To me if you can get a QB like Hooker in round 2 and also get a potential superstar with the 1st pick.  Or even trade back and accumulate a high pick or two make sense to me.   And the last guy from Tennessee worked out ok.

But what do I know

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

How so? Character wise they couldn’t be more different.

Max Duggan is more a high floor moderate ceiling Derek Carr type of QB. Not the spoiled Zach Wilson type. He’s not rated as high as Zach was in his draft either.

For his sake I hope he does well vs Harbaugh and Michigan.

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

How so? Character wise they couldn’t be more different.

Both small school guys that made there mark by using athleticism to extend plays. Both seen as great leaders coming out of college. Zach was seen as more accurate, but both are a bit  reckless with decision making. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/max-duggan-28d5611b-0908-488f-9c92-bd43c1e1fcf8/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-qb-zach-wilson/

51 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Both small school guys that made there mark by using athleticism to extend plays. Both seen as great leaders coming out of college. Zach was seen as more accurate, but both are a bit  reckless with decision making. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/sr-prospect/max-duggan-28d5611b-0908-488f-9c92-bd43c1e1fcf8/

Duggan only had 4 INTs during the regular season. Also TCU is not a small school. They okay in the Big 12.

55 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Yes I can see the accuracy issues they’re talking about with Duggan throwing a bit high at times and Zach being more accurate. But both extremes puzzle me with Duggan rated as a Day 3 prospect and Zach Wilson being a Top 5 prospect.

Duggan’s physical heart issues will definitely get checked out at the combine. I’m curious what comes out of it.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Duggan only had 4 INTs during the regular season. Also TCU is not a small school. They okay in the Big 12.

I consider TCU and BYU to be at the same level. They’ll have a good offense every once and awhile but will never be consistent contenders because there defenses can’t match the top teams. 

Both 6’2” and around 210

Wilson had 3 interceptions his last season of college with 33 TDs 

Duggan 4 interceptions with 30 TDs

6 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I just read Bo Nix is making a decision to stay or enter the draft.

Is this draft info on point? Never saw him play.

What do you guys think?

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/bo-nix-qb-oregon-nfl-draft-player-profile-2023/

I watched him a number of times when he was at Auburn. He would flash, but often looked confused? and out of control. I understand he and other players were not big fans of the coaching staff/offense.

This year, at Oregon? he's been great. Under control and making plays. he's tough, got enough arm. Just don't really know which Nix is the real one...

2 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I just read Bo Nix is making a decision to stay or enter the draft.

Is this draft info on point? Never saw him play.

What do you guys think?

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/bo-nix-qb-oregon-nfl-draft-player-profile-2023/

Honestly I like him a lot. He’s got explosive athleticism and he is really good throwing on the run. My comp for him is Jalen Hurts. The only knocks I have on him are that in the games I watched I only saw him make 1 tight window throw (part of that is due to scheme) and he doesn’t have elite arm strength. But he’s what the NFL is looking for today. He’s also got that competitive toughness that you like. 

If he does come out he should get real 1st round hype. If we miss out on Levis somehow, he actually may be a nice option later in the 1st or possibly early 2nd. You’ll hear a lot of analysts talk about how abysmal his time at Auburn was, but all that tells me is that like a lot of QBs in the NFL, he needs a system around him. 

Man Bo Nox in a Jim Harbaugh offense (the one that Kaepernick ran really well) would be a scary sight.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Honestly I like him a lot. He’s got explosive athleticism and he is really good throwing on the run. My comp for him is Jalen Hurts. The only knocks I have on him are that in the games I watched I only saw him make 1 tight window throw (part of that is due to scheme) and he doesn’t have elite arm strength. But he’s what the NFL is looking for today. He’s also got that competitive toughness that you like. 

If he does come out he should get real 1st round hype. If we miss out on Levis somehow, he actually may be a nice option later in the 1st or possibly early 2nd. You’ll hear a lot of analysts talk about how abysmal his time at Auburn was, but all that tells me is that like a lot of QBs in the NFL, he needs a system around him. 

Man Bo Nox in a Jim Harbaugh offense (the one that Kaepernick ran really well) would be a scary sight.

I know highlights are just that and I don’t know if he’s even coming out but I like what I see here;

I don't see these early QBs that will be taken as mind blowing. We need a QB, but would rather add around it with a late QB pick again. Coastal Carolina QB looks decent to take late. We need a top WR, tackle and TE. Better to get our future QB in 2024 or 2025.

5 hours ago, Matabix said:

I don't see these early QBs that will be taken as mind blowing. We need a QB, but would rather add around it with a late QB pick again. Coastal Carolina QB looks decent to take late. We need a top WR, tackle and TE. Better to get our future QB in 2024 or 2025.

McCall I'm assuming? He's going back to college. He's entering the transfer portal this year.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, bertjones7 said:

Good list above.  Adding some of my initial, early season thoughts

IMO Young is the best college QB and is super accurate and can make plays with his legs when necessary.  His size is a concern.  He is approx 6 feet, but with a very slight build... built nothing like Russel Wilson or Kyler Murray.  Physically looks like a hs kid.

Stroud - a ton of people love him.  I'm still pretty skeptical.  Tough to tell how much of his success is due to the Ohio St scheme and incredible talent at Wr.  I have not been overly impressed when trying to look at NFL type throws in tight coverage.

Levis - might have the best physical tools in the draft. Dual threat.  Physically draws some Josh Allen type comparisons. Penn St fans wish they still had him vs Clifford.

Hooker - VT transfer...in the past has been viewed more of a runner, but seems to be improving in passing game

McKee - haven't seen enough but highly touted HS kid with big size, but not mobile.

Van * - I'm a cane fan and watch every game. Is dealing with a new offense and a decimated WR core.  Took over mid season last year so doesn't have a ton of starts.  Could have made a big statement with win over A&M, but entire passing game struggled and is dealing with conservative play calling.  Slow start to the season but hoping he reverts back to late season 2021 form.  Great work ethic and team leader.

DJ - huge disappointment at clemson. Was top HS QB along with bryce young.  Clemson is winning but if they want to contend for a title i could see them switching to freshman stud recruit Cade Kublinik who has shined in brief action.  Dabo did that before when he benched Kelly Bryant for Lawrence.

Rattler - eilte recruit.  Struggled at OU last year and was benched.  Transferred to South Carolina and he is struggling along with the entire team.

Anthony Richardson - incredible physical talent but also incredibly raw.  Strongest arm in the draft, dynamic runner, seen videos of him dunking from the FT line....  with that being said, still has no clue how to play QB and has like 6 starts in his career.  Very interested to see how he looks by the end of the year.

Jurkovec - ND transfer to BC.  I have been high on him for a couple of years, but been hurt and has not progressed as i expected.  Also need to take into account, that he does not have elite talent at BC.

Ward - dominated at FCS level.  Interested to see how he progresses in the pac 12 this year.

Going to be fun to monitor these guys and get everyone's opinions

Looks like a crappy draft when u put it that way lol.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:56 AM, stitches said:

-Bryce Young, Alabama

-CJ Stroud, Ohio State

-Will Levis, Kentucky

-Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

-Tanner McKee, Stanford

-Tyler VanDyke, Miami

-DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson

-Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

-Anthony Richardson, Florida

-Phil Jurkovec, Boston College

-Cameron Ward, Washington state

First 3 are looking like a 1st rounders... We will see about the rest. I've been underwhelmed by Richardson, Jurkovec and Rattler from what I've seen. 

I like Rattler 

7 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

I can handle 2 more years of trash football. Let’s just rank until we get manning! 

Seems like people consider Caleb Williams generational type talent. Sean Payton called him that and said NFL should be thinking about introducing a lottery to try to stop teams tanking next year for him. BTW if you get the no.1 pick in 2024 this might be an inside track for attracting Sean Payton back from retirement. 

Frankly, I don't see where Young, Stroud, and Levis should be thought of as NFL franchise QBs when compared to Duggan, Nix, McKee, and Hooker,

The disparity in talent and performance is not as great as what the difference in draft-slotting would suggest, IMO.  I'm fine with drafting either of the last 4 at a proper slot instead of the top three with a top 5 pick if that's what happens.

And Hooker should be thought of as a pocket passer for the NFL.  He's not as athletic as billed, and that was before the ACL.  Hooker and McKee are the least athletic of these QBs.

Edit:  Put Van * in that list also.  (Good Lord auto-correct).  And Rattler has talent too....not any shorter than some of the others.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Seems like people consider Caleb Williams generational type talent. Sean Payton called him that and said NFL should be thinking about introducing a lottery to try to stop teams tanking next year for him. BTW if you get the no.1 pick in 2024 this might be an inside track for attracting Sean Payton back from retirement. 

Thats a tough road

IMHO, we have to treat this 2023 draft, as the draft to get our QB of the future

I dont want to give up 3 first round picks to move up to get QB1 or QB2

BUT

We SHOULD have a shot to get a decent developmental QB in round 1 or 2 

If we dont even try this year.......  it would be very disappointing to me as a Colts fan

I would be happy with 

Option 1

Best OT/DE on the board in round one, Then get Hooker in round 2

Let Foles be our vet QB until Hooker is ready

Option 2

Just take Anthony Richardson at pick 7, Get a QB friendly coach in here

We WILL lose in 2023, but we MAY have our QB of the future.... for the next 15-20 years

The kid has amazing raw talent.....  We would be an RPO machine

He just needs to play

Let Foles be our vet QB until Richardson is ready to come in

Option 3

Really ANY of the top 6 QBs

But the baseline thought HAS to be....... do your best and draft a QB early. I would consider taking one late as well

After watching alot more tape on Levis, Stroud & AR15. I actually have the highest concern with Stroud now.

Stroud: The system rarely needs him to progress through his reads, he isn't good off script and when things fall apart or is pressured out of the pocket. The scrsmbling, being elusive trait is more instintuatual than it is a learned skill. You either have it or you don't, and he doesn't. Also for being more of a pure pocket passer, his accuracy and footwork are sloppy at times. Obviously all Qbs struggle with it to an extent, but atleast with Levis and AR15, they bring another element.

Levis: I have done a 180 on him. I must have watched his worst tapes starting out, as it put a sour taste in my mouth. Have seen alot more positives in recent, different tape. One thing I always do put stock in is how coaches and players talk about guys. Everyone around Levis raves about his character, leadership, work ethic and toughness. They do count for something. He played through multiple injuries this year, with zero weapons, a horrendous OL which has lead him to have some poor mechanics at times, and an even worse OC, who ended up getting fired after one season. There was so much working against him this season, it would have been hard for any QB to look good. Though you did still see flashes.

AR15: Easily the most polarizing QB in the draft. Flashes of brilliance, with flashes of "has he ever played football before". He is raw no doubt, my biggest reason for being onboard taking him, is this: there are good QBs, Franchise QBs, and then game breaking talent. AR15 has game breaking talent, its undeniable. His upside, is a top 3 QB in the entire NFL, no joke. But again, he could also just flame out and never even be a good starter. The biggest boom or bust in the draft. But after watching all this boring mediocre QB since Luck, I'd take the risk.

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thats a tough road

IMHO, we have to treat this 2023 draft, as the draft to get our QB of the future

I dont want to give up 3 first round picks to move up to get QB1 or QB2

BUT

We SHOULD have a shot to get a decent developmental QB in round 1 or 2 

If we dont even try this year.......  it would be very disappointing to me as a Colts fan

I would be happy with 

Option 1

Best OT/DE on the board in round one, Then get Hooker in round 2

Let Foles be our vet QB until Hooker is ready

Option 2

Just take Anthony Richardson at pick 7, Get a QB friendly coach in here

We WILL lose in 2023, but we MAY have our QB of the future.... for the next 15-20 years

The kid has amazing raw talent.....  We would be an RPO machine

He just needs to play

Let Foles be our vet QB until Richardson is ready to come in

Option 3

Really ANY of the top 6 QBs

But the baseline thought HAS to be....... do your best and draft a QB early. I would consider taking one late as well

It looks like we will draft in the top 10 probably somewhere in the middle.  I would try to trade our second pick for Love, it should be a pick at the top of the 2nd rd.  Green Bay should be receptive to that.  Then let Ballard do his magic with the 1st pick.  Most likely trade back.  Possibly pick up another 2nd or 3rd and use those picks to draft Duggan or Mckee to compete with Love.  Something to consider I would think.  I would rather trade JT for Love actually.  Especially after today's news on JT.  I'm not excited about giving him a second contract right now.  I would rather trade him and get some potential value while we still can.  But that's me. 

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It looks like we will draft in the top 10 probably somewhere in the middle.  I would try to trade our second pick for Love, it should be a pick at the top of the 2nd rd.  Green Bay should be receptive to that.  Then let Ballard do his magic with the 1st pick.  Most likely trade back.  Possibly pick up another 2nd or 3rd and use those picks to draft Duggan or Mckee to compete with Love.  Something to consider I would think.  I would rather trade JT for Love actually.  Especially after today's news on JT.  I'm not excited about giving him a second contract right now.  I would rather trade him and get some potential value while we still can.  But that's me. 

I have seen you views on Love, but would still wonder why GB would allow us to trade for him.

He has some great raw talent... at least a few years ago.

The 2nd contract for a RB has been brutal in almost all cases

Hate to lose the kid, but do you pay him 22M?  or do you try and get another RB.

Thats a tough choice.  I bet the Cowboys would NOT have paid Elliot, if they knew what they know now

He isnt the only RB that didnt match performance to top pay 

I like Duggan, but the guy isnt getting any love from the NFL "experts"

I wonder if he is there at round 4

23 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

After watching alot more tape on Levis, Stroud & AR15. I actually have the highest concern with Stroud now.

Stroud: The system rarely needs him to progress through his reads, he isn't good off script and when things fall apart or is pressured out of the pocket. The scrsmbling, being elusive trait is more instintuatual than it is a learned skill. You either have it or you don't, and he doesn't. Also for being more of a pure pocket passer, his accuracy and footwork are sloppy at times. Obviously all Qbs struggle with it to an extent, but atleast with Levis and AR15, they bring another element.

Levis: I have done a 180 on him. I must have watched his worst tapes starting out, as it put a sour taste in my mouth. Have seen alot more positives in recent, different tape. One thing I always do put stock in is how coaches and players talk about guys. Everyone around Levis raves about his character, leadership, work ethic and toughness. They do count for something. He played through multiple injuries this year, with zero weapons, a horrendous OL which has lead him to have some poor mechanics at times, and an even worse OC, who ended up getting fired after one season. There was so much working against him this season, it would have been hard for any QB to look good. Though you did still see flashes.

AR15: Easily the most polarizing QB in the draft. Flashes of brilliance, with flashes of "has he ever played football before". He is raw no doubt, my biggest reason for being onboard taking him, is this: there are good QBs, Franchise QBs, and then game breaking talent. AR15 has game breaking talent, its undeniable. His upside, is a top 3 QB in the entire NFL, no joke. But again, he could also just flame out and never even be a good starter. The biggest boom or bust in the draft. But after watching all this boring mediocre QB since Luck, I'd take the risk.

Quite frankly, I'm not in love with any of these quarterbacks.  But I know that we absolutely must take one of them.

My personal ranking is:

• Bryce Young - if we were able to trade up with Houston -- yeah, ok, j/k
  • Will Levis - best combination of NFL arm talent and potential, but still have INT and production issues
  • Max Dugger - high production 2nd tier guy, draftable in the 2nd round
  • CJ Stroud - has the tools, but has never had to play the full game.  Will take some time to acclimate to the NFL
  • Hendon Hooker - if he hadn't have had the ACL injury, would rate above Dugger
  • Tanner McKee - and only in the 3rd round or so.  He won't be "the answer".  He'll just be "better and younger"
  • Anthony Richardson - personally, I wouldn't touch him.  sushi raw with a high boom/bust ratio

For me, right now, it's Levis or bust.  But I don't feel totally good about it.

Archived