Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

The intriguing thing about Richardson to watch is the jump from last year to this year in certain mechanics. Many “experts” see his potential and the gains he has shown. Consistency still isn’t there but they are hoping it will continue. Something like a Josh Allen. Comes in with key issues but each year gets better at those things. Most important thing is giving someone like Richardson a true weapon. Allen took off once Diggs was added. So we need a key guy as well. Pittman is good but not that key weapon. I don’t see Pierce being that either. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/6/2023 at 8:32 PM, buccolts said:

Well, it also showed a lot of under throws as though he was afraid to over throw. "Cause he has the arm strength. 

Also, I I need to see film of more of the QBs coming out, but I don't want to see their highlight reels. I want to see a couple of games or film studies to see what they do well AND not so well. 

I watch highlight reels to see what type of plays they make at their best. If their best plays arent impessive then no need to watch anything else

Here's what The Athletics' draft experts are saying about Duggan(this is from before the playoffs):

https://theathletic.com/3965516/2022/12/03/nfl-draft-2023-championship-weekend/

Baumgardner: The thing to remember about Duggan is he’s been playing like this — competing on the edge with basically no regard for his body — for a while. He’s a four-year starter who helped turn a bad team into a possible playoff squad, and he did all this during a pretty seismic coaching transition.

The ability to survive is sort of his superpower. He was certainly more explosive vertically as a senior, and wide receiver Quentin Johnston helped with that, but he has also never really had a turnover problem. He’s athletic enough to be interesting and competitive enough to get a chance in a camp somewhere. A draft pick? I suppose that’s going to come down to whether a coach or general manager falls in love with him.

Lee: Worthy of a draft selection? That’s a bit rich for my blood. I’m wary of quarterbacks with production explosions that happen to coincide with a receiver’s breakout, and there’s just no way to talk about what Duggan has done this year without centering the conversation around Johnston, the best offensive playmaker in the draft. The best compliment to pay Duggan is that he usually doesn’t turn the ball over when the offense calls for him to hang in the pocket or navigate a rush (although he had a terrible pick Saturday), and the quality of his passes was never an issue this season.

TCU might have come up short on a playoff trip, but it’s not Duggan’s fault. I just don’t think there was a way for him to show enough to make me see him as a draftable prospect.

Brugler: The word all season from NFL scouts is they expected Duggan to return to TCU for a 12th season. OK, it just feels like it’s been that many, mainly because he’s been a starter each season. With the way this year has played out, will Duggan be more inclined to return? Or will he feel like he has done all he can do in Fort Worth, especially since he figures to lose his top three targets (Johnston, Derius Davis and Taye Barber)?

As a prospect, Duggan is interesting. He has enough power to fire the ball to all three levels of the field, and his play strength as a ball carrier is impressive. But he’ll miss too many layups and isn’t a refined passer. He doesn’t properly use his eyes to hold defenders, and he tends to throw to areas, not spots, meaning too many throws are behind his target or on the wrong shoulder. However, Duggan’s size and toughness could get him drafted. He takes a beating and gets back up every time. I wouldn’t be surprised if a team views him as a Taysom Hill type of weapon, just not quite at the same level.

And this is after the win vs Michigan:

Brugler: In one of our recent roundtables, I mentioned how Duggan had turned himself into a draftable player this season. Although inconsistent with his touch and placement, he delivers a few throws every game that make you sit up in your seat. His second-quarter touchdown pass against Michigan, when he bought time with his legs and fired a strike to the clearing crosser, is one of those examples. He has NFL-level arm strength and mobility, but his competitive toughness stands out the most.

Duggan still needs considerable development to be a potential NFL starter, but he is worth the gamble in the middle rounds. I’m excited to see how he performs at the Senior Bowl, which will put his arm on display next to several other quarterbacks.

Baumgardner: Duggan gets one more shot to show everyone what they should already know: that he’s glass-chewing tough. There will be a crowd around him at the Senior Bowl because of exactly what Dane wrote: If he makes 10 throws, there’ll be three or four in that set that are good enough for evaluators to convince themselves they can draft him higher than they probably should. Everyone is going to love his competitiveness and drive and how contagious his attitude could be for a young team.

Lee: I think both quarterbacks playing for the national title (Georgia draft hopeful Stetson Bennett is the other) are fascinating to look at from a narrative standpoint. Duggan is liable for some flat-out whiffs on throws every game, but he will hang in the pocket and endure punishment to give his receivers a chance. He’ll also scramble for the tough yards that most quarterbacks slide to avoid, and he won’t abandon his progression for the sake of chucking it into coverage just to get Quentin Johnston a chance at the ball.

I don’t think an NFL front office will look at him and see a potential starter, but he’d be a great competitor to have behind the starter. I think he can top out as a quality bridge guy or spot starter, if there’s an injury to the franchise guy. Considering he began the season as TCU’s backup, it has been a significant ascent.

Baumgardner: Duggan is a potentially unique player in a changing quarterback market. He’s not going to be seen by many NFL evaluators as a long-term franchise quarterback, but most would admit he’s probably good enough to get you through a storm if he has to. And the impact he’d have as your team-first, fail-safe backup — potentially, for a long time — is very interesting. I think Duggan could grow into the type of player that helps teams get out of QB hell. He’s a Day 3 candidate for those reasons.

On 1/5/2023 at 11:07 AM, twfish said:

So let's say we had a time machine and could go back and not trade for Buckner there is still absolutely zero guarantee that Detroit or the Giants would have traded out of where they were at

The lions made it pretty clear they wanted to trade back

20 hours ago, buccolts said:

So, who are you hoping for so far?

Depends on wgere we end up picking and who our next coach is. I feel like if it ends up being harbaugh we may draft richardson. Personally I like Stroud and Young best. Levis im on the fence about. Duggan is a slightly better version of ehlinger

On 1/14/2023 at 1:38 PM, Defjamz26 said:

https://twitter.com/landon3mr/status/1613948936330383376?s=46&t=C-qsea207tV6VMbUB0HwEQ

Something I questioned myself was his leadership and maturity because he’s on social media a lot, but he looks like he’s got that dawg in him.

Yes there are flaws with him, but from by all accounts, work ethic and leadership are not any of them. I do have worries about his game, but thats the stuff thats comforting knowing he's gunna work his * off until he's the guy. Tough as nails too. I've warmed up to the possibility alot.

8 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Yes there are flaws with him, but from by all accounts, work ethic and leadership are not any of them. I do have worries about his game, but thats the stuff thats comforting knowing he's gunna work his * off until he's the guy. Tough as nails too. I've warmed up to the possibility alot.

He’s been reportedly working with Jordan Palmer. Last year Palmer spent a lot of time with Ridder too. Ridder looked solid in the little we saw of him. I started the year on the train and then got off once he consistently wasn’t producing. But after seeing the bigger picture (lack of weapons, being injured, terrible playcalling and scheme, etc…) I’m more comfortable with who he is and who he can be.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s been reportedly working with Jordan Palmer. Last year Palmer spent a lot of time with Ridder too. Ridder looked solid in the little we saw of him. I started the year on the train and then got off once he consistently wasn’t producing. But after seeing the bigger picture (lack of weapons, being injured, terrible playcalling and scheme, etc…) I’m more comfortable with who he is and who he can be.

Exactly the same with me. I was heavy against Levis to begin the year. Alot of people are without digging into the details. Theres alot to like with Levis. 

I just got scared off initially because he looks so similar to Wentz. But the difference is Wentz isn't an innate leader, and a mental midget. From all accounts Levis is the complete opposite.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:22 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Oh yeah. I would not complain if Will Levis was Ballard's choice either. I had to do a double take on his "touch", that is hard to teach and that was why Jacob Eason was never a good QB, and Jacoby because they threw fast balls and line drives all the time which is why they were later round QBs.

Will Levis, could he have come out last year? He is very much like Jordan Love who had a better year the previous year than the year he came out in the draft. The ball in both QB cases comes out in a hurry and I think Levis has better touch than Jordan Love when Love declared for the draft.

Turnovers are still a concern with him with his processing though. Josh Allen isn't doing so well in the INT category either but makes up for it with plenty of positive throws. Will Levis trust his arm too much or let his processing take over to adjust for it? Definitely needs top notch coaching.

58 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Exactly the same with me. I was heavy against Levis to begin the year. A lot of people are without digging into the details. There's alot to like with Levis. 

I just got scared off initially because he looks so similar to Wentz. But the difference is Wentz isn't an innate leader, and a mental midget. From all accounts Levis is the complete opposite.

This is what Ballard and his folks need to hone in on with his interviews, teammates and coaches, and folks outside the team circles too if necessary.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Oh yeah. I would not complain if Will Levis was Ballard's choice either. I had to do a double take on his "touch", that is hard to teach and that was why Jacob Eason was never a good QB, and Jacoby because they threw fast balls and line drives all the time which is why they were later round QBs.

Will Levis, could he have come out last year? He is very much like Jordan Love who had a better year the previous year than the year he came out in the draft. The ball in both QB cases comes out in a hurry and I think Levis has better touch than Jordan Love when Love declared for the draft.

Turnovers are still a concern with him with his processing though. Josh Allen isn't doing so well in the INT category either but makes up for it with plenty of positive throws. Will Levis trust his arm too much or let his processing take over to adjust for it? Definitely needs top notch coaching.

Its funny.  Josh Allen regressed this year with his interceptions as soon as Daboll left and coincidentally Jones interceptions went down when Daboll arrived in NY.  Allen also led the league in fumbles with 17.  Combined with his interceptions he led the league in turnovers with 32 in 17 games.  He has his share of wow plays for sure but it’s like you hold your breath every time he throws or runs now.  

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Its funny.  Josh Allen regressed this year with his interceptions as soon as Daboll left and coincidentally Jones interceptions went down when Daboll arrived in NY.  Allen also led the league in fumbles with 17.  Combined with his interceptions he led the league in turnovers with 32 in 17 games.  He has his share of wow plays for sure but it’s like you hold your breath every time he throws or runs now.  

Somewhat incorrect.

Josh Allen has thrown 14 INTs this year while he threw 15 INTs last year. The difference, 6 fumbles lost this year versus 3 fumbles lost last year, and yes more overall fumbles, which is why he will be a liability against a Peanut punching Bengals D, IMO.

But I get your point, the HC / OC / QB coach can have a great impact on the QB taking care of the ball, much like Jim Caldwell who came with Dungy cut down on Peyton's turnovers.

22 hours ago, chad72 said:

Personally regarding turnovers, I think a large part of it this season for him, was him playing hero ball due to the lack of talent around him. Which is understandable, and fixable, especially when you trust the talent around you. 

Archived