Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

22 hours ago, gspdx said:

That Tankathon website is interesting.  Teams that draft before us (currently)

1. Houston (2)

2. Carolina

3. Chicago

4. Las Vegas

5. Seattle

6. Detroit (2)

7. Pitt

8. Jax

9. Philly

10. Arizona

11. Green Bay

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 QBs gone before we draft.  Houston, Carolina, Detroit for sure wouldn't surprise me.  I wouldn't be much surprised to see Chicago, Las Vegas, or Seattle draft a QB either.

I did some Wins/Losses projections.  If we win only 2 more, I project we'll drop from 13th to 10th.

I also think that Detroit may not be a problem for us.  They have potentially 3 more wins (vs JAX, at CAR, vs CHI), and their 2nd choice comes from the Rams, which ought to win a few as well.  If things play out the way I think, we'll be choosing in front of Detroit.

My projection looks like this:

HOU 1-15-1 will draft QB

LV 3-14 might draft QB

CAR 4-13 will draft QB

JAX 4-13 no

CHI 4-13 no

AZ 4-13 maybe but probably not

HOU (from CLE) already did

PIT 5-12 no

DEN 6-11 might draft QB, but a lot invested in current guy

IND 6-10-1

DET 7-10

I think it all comes down to whether Vegas decides to draft a QB or not.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Eagles I think right now have saints 4th overall pick too. Not even sure how that happened.

I think Saints moved up to get WR Chris Olave and gave up next year first round pick to Eagles. And probably lost a good chance at getting a franchise QB. 

Olave has proved to be Elite, but is it good to give up first round pick, especially when you're going to have top 15 overall pick? (which they know during last draft, Now that may actually turn out to be top 5 overall pick!) 

Quick Update on the QBs that COULD be in consideration for the Colts in round 1 or 2

QB                                            TDs         INTs       Completion %                 

Anthony Richardson                11             8             55.7%                       

Max Duggan                            26             3             66.2%                         

Will Levis                                  17            10            65.9%           

H. Hooker                                 27             2            69.6%

Since QB1 and QB2 are off the board and too early to trade up to

My rankings from this list are

H. Hooker - Just two 2 INTS and near 70% completions are amazing in the SEC

His completion percentage is actually better than QB1 and QB2.

From interviews He is an intelligent and mature kid as well (I hope we take him)

Max Duggan - The guy just wins, and his 4.5 speed makes him a threat

From interviews he is an intelligent and mature kid

Will Levis, The INTS scare me, but the kid does have one of the fastest releases in the draft

Anthony Richardson  (If I was him, Id stay in school)

On 11/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, VikingsFanInChennai said:

I think Saints moved up to get WR Chris Olave and gave up next year first round pick to Eagles. And probably lost a good chance at getting a franchise QB. 

Olave has proved to be Elite, but is it good to give up first round pick, especially when you're going to have top 15 overall pick? (which they know during last draft, Now that may actually turn out to be top 5 overall pick!) 

Not for another WR who I could get late 1st or 2nd round that can be magnified by a good QB. The gaping hole since Brees left was at QB, not sure who was making that decision.

30 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Quick Update on the QBs that COULD be in consideration for the Colts in round 1 or 2

QB                                            TDs         INTs       Completion %                 

From interviews He is an intelligent and mature kid as well (I hope we take him)

Will Levis, The INTS scare me, but the kid does have one of the fastest releases in the draft

Yeah, Mills and A J McCarron had fast releases too but the NFL forces you to make quick choices while having obvious 1st and 2nd reads covered most of the time. Levis is going to be the hardest to project, IMO.

I’m fine with us going with a very good LT prospect, then Duggan at end of Round 1 or Round 2, then double down with Jaren Hall of BYU in Round 4 (like Washington did with RG3 and Cousins) and wipe the slate clean of our current QBs.

3 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Man!  Did anyone see Stroud Wentz that last play today?

If it was a Wentz it would of gone straight to the defender, the RB should of caught that but like my old coach said " he was watching the play not playing" and tipped it to the defender.

Crazy game though I thought the buckeyes were gonna win, but ohio state's defense didn't show up apparently. Michigan is looking good, I still don't think they could beat georgia though

On 11/25/2022 at 7:06 AM, MikeCurtis said:

Hooker is gonna drop outside the first with his Knee injury, and being older. I think he goes mid to late 2nd

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Max Duggan is going to be a strong front runner for the Heisman. Only Caleb Williams might give him a run for his money.

He’s got 29 TDs against 3 INTs and TCU is undefeated. Kid is a winner man. 

He’s the kind of guy I wouldn’t mind moving back into end of Round 1 from our current 2nd, for the 5 year rookie contract after drafting an LT earlier. Will cost us a future 2nd most likely.

Guy no one is talking about that is definitely back on my radar is Michael Penix. Threw for over 4000 yards this year. Has a cannon for an arm. Lefty so some might not like him just by aesthetics. Mobile too, but hasn't used it much recently due to a knee injury in the past couple years. Captain in his first year as a transfer too.

Absolutely balled out in the Apple cup last night vs Washington State. 

His medicals will be huge for him pre draft.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

Guy no one is talking about that is definitely back on my radar is Michael Penix. Threw for over 4000 yards this year. Has a cannon for an arm. Lefty so some might not like him just by aesthetics. Mobile too, but hasn't used it much recently due to a knee injury in the past couple years. Captain in his first year as a transfer too.

Penix is my sleeper/2nd round prospect as well.

4 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

The guy has a few season ending injuries.  I believe 3

15 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

The guy has a few season ending injuries.  I believe 3

Yup, Injuries are his biggest red flag. But this kid has it imo. He has the arm talent, the athleticism, which he used less this season, to avoid injuries which worked but he can still fly if he needs too. Has a great story too. Character is great. 

Personally too, this is just my opinion too when it comes to all sports scouting, I'll always prefer the guy whos faced adversity in his life, rather than the guy whos been touted as the guy since they've been 12. 

22 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

His injuries absolutely take him off the board for me. He was fun to watch at IU but it seems like every time they needed him most he got injured. 

46 minutes ago, twfish said:

His injuries absolutely take him off the board for me. He was fun to watch at IU but it seems like every time they needed him most he got injured. 

I think Penix is OFF most teams boards,

Very risky pick early but the kid is VERY talented

If he is there in round 5, Id take him

I do hope that we address QB MUCH earlier though

Round 1 (Trade back to get 5th year option) - Hooker

Round 2, 3 (and 3 again)  4, take BPA......  

Round 5 - Penix

Get rid of Sam (He isnt a starter)  Get rid of Foles and Sam

Let Ryan start season 

Long term Hooker / Penix backup

5 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think Penix is OFF most teams boards,

Very risky pick early but the kid is VERY talented

If he is there in round 5, Id take him

I do hope that we address QB MUCH earlier though

Round 1 (Trade back to get 5th year option) - Hooker

Round 2, 3 (and 3 again)  4, take BPA......  

Round 5 - Penix

Get rid of Sam (He isnt a starter)  Get rid of Foles and Sam

Let Ryan start season 

Long term Hooker / Penix backup

Penix, Bo Nix, yeah, there are plenty of talented guys in this NFL draft.

If it were me, I'd go 1 of 2 ways:

1. Take the best LT prospect, then get Tanner McKee or Max Duggan (if he shows up well against the best at the Senior Bowl) at the end of the first for the rookie contract. Then double down on QB with possibly Herndon Hooker or Jaren Hall of BYU or Michael Penix Jr. in Rounds 4 or 5 if one of them is there, none before Day 3 though for the 2nd QB.

2. Take Will Levis if he is within striking distance, and move up if we have a highly rated LT to Top of 2nd round still on the board, and still double down on QB with possibly Herndon Hooker or Jaren Hall of BYU or Michael Penix Jr. in Rounds 4 or 5 if one of them is there, none before Day 3 though for the 2nd QB.

Then do everything to support the new QB. 

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Penix, Bo Nix, yeah, there are plenty of talented guys in this NFL draft.

If it were me, I'd go 1 of 2 ways:

1. Take the best LT prospect, then get Tanner McKee or Max Duggan (if he shows up well against the best at the Senior Bowl) at the end of the first for the rookie contract. Then double down on QB with possibly Herndon Hooker or Jaren Hall of BYU or Michael Penix Jr. in Rounds 4 or 5 if one of them is there, none before Day 3 though for the 2nd QB.

2. Take Will Levis if he is within striking distance, and move up if we have a highly rated LT to Top of 2nd round still on the board, and still double down on QB with possibly Herndon Hooker or Jaren Hall of BYU or Michael Penix Jr. in Rounds 4 or 5 if one of them is there, none before Day 3 though for the 2nd QB.

Then do everything to support the new QB. 

I have seen Levis being picked by Detroit

After watching him play this year, and his very bad processing, (Turns into INTs), Levis isnt my first choice 

6 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I have seen Levis being picked by Detroit

After watching him play this year, and his very bad processing, (Turns into INTs), Levis isnt my first choice 

He is not mine either. I'd be fine with McKee or Duggan at the end of the 1st to with an elite traits LT in the first.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

He is not mine either. I'd be fine with McKee or Duggan at the end of the 1st to with an elite traits LT in the first.

Duggan I like. Mckee on the other hand.. I would absolutely hate. He's Davis Mills, Mike Glennon. I think he can be a real solid back up. But thats all. Very low ceiling imo.

On 11/27/2022 at 9:11 AM, chad72 said:

He’s the kind of guy I wouldn’t mind moving back into end of Round 1 from our current 2nd, for the 5 year rookie contract after drafting an LT earlier. Will cost us a future 2nd most likely.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking with him. Move back up into the 2nd to get the 5th year option. What would be even better would be if we could trade a couple of players in a package for a 1st round pick. Like Leonard, Moore, MAC, etc…

This latest loss to the Steelers did nothing for us because there’s such a log jam of 4-7 and 4-8 teams. Getting a top 10 pick will be hard because it’ll be more about if other teams can win. So even getting Levis might be tough now. A late 1st or early 2nd round QB may have to suffice.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah that’s what I was thinking with him. Move back up into the 2nd to get the 5th year option. What would be even better would be if we could trade a couple of players in a package for a 1st round pick. Like Leonard, Moore, MAC, etc…

This latest loss to the Steelers did nothing for us because there’s such a log jam of 4-7 and 4-8 teams. Getting a top 10 pick will be hard because it’ll be more about if other teams can win. So even getting Levis might be tough now. A late 1st or early 2nd round QB may have to suffice.

Playing teams like the Cowboys, Vikings, Chargers, Giants for the next 4 games will determine everything - all those teams are playing for their division or a wild card, unlike us.

39 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Playing teams like the Cowboys, Vikings, Chargers, Giants for the next 4 games will determine everything - all those teams are playing for their division or a wild card, unlike us.

Need to lose all of the games but at some point we need the Rams, Lions, Green Bay, Arizona, and Lions to win. Not all of those teams need QBs, but we need to get ahead of them to either not have to trade up, or minimize the cost of a trade up.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Need to lose all of the games but at some point we need the Rams, Lions, Green Bay, Arizona, and Lions to win. Not all of those teams need QBs, but we need to get ahead of them to either not have to trade up, or minimize the cost of a trade up.

IMHO, Houston is going to pick 1

Carolina will probably go 2

I dont see either giving up their pick

If we pick at 9,

Choice 1

I would like to see us trade back to the mid 20's and pick up Hooker

Choice 2

Pick the BPA at 9 and get Duggan in round 2

Choice 3

Pick BPA in 1st, 2nd, and pick Jaren Hall in round 3

16 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

If we pick at 9,

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3

I like choice 3. But all indications show that if Ballard is the GM he’s taking Will Levis, so that has to be considered as well.

Personally I’d like to get the best LT or Edge and then Duggan late 1/early 2

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think you are right

If you cant complete passes in college...... how are you going to do that in the Pro's?

He's very raw as a passer no doubt. But to be fair he's 21, while all the other Qbs we're talking about here are 24 and 25 at the draft. He's the highest risk no doubt, but he easily has the highest potential in the draft, and its not particularly close.

That said, I think he'll likely return to school.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I like choice 3. But all indications show that if Ballard is the GM he’s taking Will Levis, so that has to be considered as well.

Personally I’d like to get the best LT or Edge and then Duggan late 1/early 2

Updated.......

If we pick at 9,

Choice 1

Choice 2

Pick the BPA at 9 and get Duggan OR DJ U  in round 2

(I forget about DJ)

Choice 3

CHOICE 4 (Because we have no long term backup QB)

Choice 2 AND Penix in round 5

The truth is..... we need a real QB to develop.......  I would be happiest with 1, 2, or 4

48 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

He's very raw as a passer no doubt. But to be fair he's 21, while all the other Qbs we're talking about here are 24 and 25 at the draft. He's the highest risk no doubt, but he easily has the highest potential in the draft, and its not particularly close.

That said, I think he'll likely return to school.

There are some analysts saying that he will be drafted in round 1

I dont see it, but the kid is an amazing athlete

He may take 3-4 years to develop

II dont think Irsay will give it a chance

Who knows

On 9/23/2022 at 5:56 AM, stitches said:

-Bryce Young, Alabama

-CJ Stroud, Ohio State

-Will Levis, Kentucky

-Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

-Tanner McKee, Stanford

-Tyler VanDyke, Miami

-DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson

-Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

-Anthony Richardson, Florida

-Phil Jurkovec, Boston College

-Cameron Ward, Washington state

First 3 are looking like a 1st rounders... We will see about the rest. I've been underwhelmed by Richardson, Jurkovec and Rattler from what I've seen. 

I think when they get done grading this group it will not look good. 

2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

If we pick at 9,

Choice 1

Choice 2

Choice 3

If our QB cupboard is going to be bare, I'd double down on QB position based on Choice 2, and get Duggan at end of round 1 if we really want him, and get Hooker in Round 4 or Penix in Round 5 if they drop that far.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If our QB cupboard is going to be bare, I'd double down on QB position based on Choice 2, and get Duggan at end of round 1 if we really want him, and get Hooker in Round 4 or Penix in Round 5 if they drop that far.

Its funny......  I think the only group listing Duggan as a high draft pick are you and I   :)

I think Hooker may go 2nd or late 1st

I saw a writer say that Hookers "game" may not translate well to the NFL......   We will see

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

Its funny......  I think the only group listing Duggan as a high draft pick are you and I   :)

I think Hooker may go 2nd or late 1st

I saw a writer say that Hookers "game" may not translate well to the NFL......   We will see

Mahomes is 6'2", so is Max Duggan, and both are mobile to use their legs only when necessary but move around to pass first. That is why I am not worried. Duggan has the Tim Tebow effect on his teammates that he is a winner and can inspire teammates.

Archived