Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've been thinking the same. Hyatt is the type of receiver we actually don't have. 

Yeah, I had no idea he had to go through this roller coaster, Herndon:

https://247sports.com/Article/Hendon-Hooker-nfl-draft-college-stats-where-hes-from-as-a-recruit-why-he-left-Virginia-Tech-195844948/

He could fall as much as Dan Marino did, because of his age (Marino fell because of drug use rumors, just comparing possible drop), maybe??? However, with the Texans, Seahawks, Lions, Commanders all possibly in QB market, Colts can’t wait till he gets to 10. Just find a trade partner in the 5-7 range and pull the trigger

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, I had no idea he had to go through this roller coaster, Herndon:

https://247sports.com/Article/Hendon-Hooker-nfl-draft-college-stats-where-hes-from-as-a-recruit-why-he-left-Virginia-Tech-195844948/

He could fall as much as Dan Marino did, because of his age (Marino fell because of drug use rumors, just comparing possible drop), maybe??? However, with the Texans, Seahawks, Lions, Commanders all possibly in QB market, Colts can’t wait till he gets to 10. Just find a trade partner in the 5-7 range and pull the trigger

Yeah is funny how many people say "How could so many teams pass on Marino ? " when it was common knowledge he had a drug problem (Cocaine )so was a risk (He also bombed the Wonderlic, he is not a mental giant safe to say).

5 hours ago, stitches said:

If he was younger I absolutely agree. I have no idea how to factor in his age. It's weird... and no idea how NFL teams will discount him because of it... 

Wasn’t Kenny Pickett like 24 when he got drafted? I doubt it’ll be that big of a factor tbh. I think he’s a top 20 player.

22 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Anthony Richardson doesn’t even look draftable. I’ve watched a lot of Florida this year because one of my close friends is a Gators fanatic. Richardson at this point is just an athlete playing QB. The accuracy, touch, mechanics, and decision making are all over the place.

At this point in the season this is how I have the QBs ranked

1. Will Levis 

2. Hendon Hooker

3. Bryce Young

4. CJ Stroud

5. DJ U.

Hooker is my guy and he just keeps proving people wrong, but I just like that Levis is the prototype at the position. 

Anthony Richardson has the tools but needs another year in college 

CJ Stroud ranked 4th?

I respectfully disagree with the ranking of the list,  but the list is right

Max Duggan intrigues me a bit, and will (May) be round 2

If CJ Stroud is in range, I would jump at the chance to draft

Watched the Oregon UCLA game this weekend.  Bo Nix looked like a stud.  I don't think he has a great resume at this point but his decisions were good, his throws were very accurate even on the run.  Threw some really nice balls downfield.

Even if he doesn't have the talent to move to the NFL I would recommend watching the game for fun if it is available some place.  It was a pretty good game to watch.

If you're needing guys to watch, heres who I have on a shortlist for this draft. Not that I want all of them, just intriguing prospects for now.

Spencer Sanders - Ok State

KJ Jefferson - Arkansas

Max Duggan - TCU

Jalon Daniels - Kansas

Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA

Bryce Young - Bama

Hendon Hooker - Tennesse

Grayson Mccall- Coastal Carolina

Jaren Hall - BYU

Will Levis - Kentucky

CJ Stroud - Ohio State

Will Rogers - Mississipi State

On 10/4/2022 at 9:36 PM, holeymoley99 said:

2 QBs rising fast are

Max Duggan-TCU- Dismantled Oklahoma,slight frame but very accurate 74.5% and has a 11/0 td/int ratio. Big game this week vs a very tough Kansas D (ESPN Game day is there this week as it is the national game of the week). If TCU stays unbeaten more high profile games coming up.

Garrett Shrader-Nice size at 6'4 230, big arm.  70.9 % and with a 10/1 td/int ratio. Syracuse come out of nowhere to move into 21/22 spot in polls with a perfect record.  Bye this week then some very tough games NC State,Clemson,Notre Dame if he mows through that gauntlet and looks solid stock will go through the roof.

Max rising higher and higher as many taking notice now. 68.9%  19/1 td/int ratio.......TCU has W.V. this week.

I’m liking what I’m seeing from Jaren Hall. Dual threat but he can win from the pocket. I’ve heard a couple of analysts say his best attribute is how he takes care of the ball. This season he’s got 19 TD’s against 3 interceptions. Great character like Ridder had last year.

Since I think Young and Stroud will be out of reach even in a trade up, my top 3 options for the Colts are Levis, Hooker, and Hall. I’m moving DJ down a bit because he struggled against Syracuse. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m liking what I’m seeing from Jaren Hall. Dual threat but he can win from the pocket. I’ve heard a couple of analysts say his best attribute is how he takes care of the ball. This season he’s got 19 TD’s against 3 interceptions. Great character like Ridder had last year.

Since I think Young and Stroud will be out of reach even in a trade up, my top 3 options for the Colts are Levis, Hooker, and Hall. I’m moving DJ down a bit because he struggled against Syracuse. 

Levis is said to be gone in top 10 (We will see)

Hooker would be excellent at 15-18  The kid has the tools

Hall, Duggan, DJ may be a fit in round 2

42 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Looks like Levis may be available for our pick. 

And Levis is my 1st choice.  He really doesn’t have the WR talent around him at Kentucky.  But according to some analysts he is the most pro ready.  Love his size too.  Glad to see we have a number of representatives at the game.

Hooker with another great game. He’s having a Joe Burrow like season, but I don’t think he’ll go number 1 overall like Burrow does. He just doesn’t make mistakes. 

Levis stock is likely dropping. He’s been playing through a few nagging injuries but the team has done him no favors. No WR help, atrocious protection, and play calling is awful. Stoops calls a screen like every drive. Not his fault, but he’ll drop.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Hooker with another great game. He’s having a Joe Burrow like season, but I don’t think he’ll go number 1 overall like Burrow does. He just doesn’t make mistakes. 

Levis stock is likely dropping. He’s been playing through a few nagging injuries but the team has done him no favors. No WR help, atrocious protection, and play calling is awful. Stoops calls a screen like every drive. Not his fault, but he’ll drop.

Good news for us on Levis. 

14 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Good news for us on Levis. 

And I’m fine with scooping him up if he does. Like I said earlier in this thread, Allen also didn’t have a great final season in college. With Levis you’re betting on the upside and his ability to get better with quality coaching at the next level. But the traits and intangibles are there. But like most young QBs, you need to support him immediately. For the Colts that would mean fixing this god awful O-line.

10 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would like Hooker OVER Levis at this stage, but would be fine with either

DJ and Max Duggan are also very strong QB options that should be available in round 2

On 10/29/2022 at 5:17 PM, stitches said:

If people want to watch, there is a great QB matchup today - Will Levis' Kentucky plays vs Hendon Hooker's Tennessee in a couple of hours. 

Herndon passed the Kentucky game with flying colors, next up is the ULTIMATE test, Georgia. Georgia will try to prevent the Vols from running without putting an extra man in the box, easier said than done. The running is what gives Herndon and the Vols 1-on-1 coverages to exploit on the outside.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Herndon passed the Kentucky game with flying colors, next up is the ULTIMATE test, Georgia. Georgia will try to prevent the Vols from running without putting an extra man in the box, easier said than done. The running is what gives Herndon and the Vols 1-on-1 coverages to exploit on the outside.

He passed the Alabama test... if he does something similar with Georgia, there will be real conversations about whether or not he should go no. 1 IMO. Then the Joe Burrow comparisons would be hard to ignore. 

On 10/24/2022 at 11:12 AM, NorthernColt said:

If you're needing guys to watch, heres who I have on a shortlist for this draft. Not that I want all of them, just intriguing prospects for now.

Spencer Sanders - Ok State

KJ Jefferson - Arkansas

Max Duggan - TCU

Jalon Daniels - Kansas

Dorian Thompson-Robinson - UCLA

Bryce Young - Bama

Hendon Hooker - Tennesse

Grayson Mccall- Coastal Carolina

Jaren Hall - BYU

Will Levis - Kentucky

CJ Stroud - Ohio State

Will Rogers - Mississipi State

Why did Rattler fall?

14 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Very excited to watch Hooker go against that vaunted Georgia defense this weekend. I'd still love to have Hooker as the Colts QB for the future. "Might" be a little biased since I'm a Vols fan but he's looked like the best QB in college football this year.

definitely has been. Honestly the only knock on him is his age (25 years old). Which isn't ideal, but not something I'd put him on my do not draft list for.

14 hours ago, landrus13 said:

Very excited to watch Hooker go against that vaunted Georgia defense this weekend. I'd still love to have Hooker as the Colts QB for the future. "Might" be a little biased since I'm a Vols fan but he's looked like the best QB in college football this year.

He looks really good

Big guy big arm, carries the team......

Just what the DR ordered

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

What is your thoughts on Levis?   

Because Hooker will be 25 actually makes him in range for the Colts

To be fair Levis is not that much younger. He will be 24 year old rookie. Hooker will be 25 year old rookie. 

3 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

What is your thoughts on Levis?   

Because Hooker will be 25 actually makes him in range for the Colts

I’m not watching much college ball yet.   I look at hilites in the off-season.   But I can share what have read. 

Levis had a hot start.   One anonymous scout said if he kept it up, he’d be the first overall pick in the entire draft.   Well…. For whatever reason, he hasn’t been able to maintain the hot start.  Now I’m reading Levis might be a Day 2 pick.   That’s a long fall. 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’m not watching much college ball yet.   I look at hilites in the off-season.   But I can share what have read. 

Levis had a hot start.   One anonymous scout said if he kept it up, he’d be the first overall pick in the entire draft.   Well…. For whatever reason, he hasn’t been able to maintain the hot start.  Now I’m reading Levis might be a Day 2 pick.   That’s a long fall. 

He’s not on a good team.  That’s pretty much it.  The team most likely played easier opponents to start like most schools do.  I watched parts of a few recent games and his receivers struggled to get open and I saw a number of dropped balls.  He is very talented for sure.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

His pass protection is quite possibly worse than what we've had in Indy. There is a worrying tendency I see with him though - he gets blown up by pass-rushers relatively regularly from the right side. This is not his blind side... he's supposed to have better awareness and see at least some of them, but he seems oblivious to a lot of it. I like a lot of things about Levis... but there are also things he needs to work on. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

His pass protection is quite possibly worse than what we've had in Indy. There is a worrying tendency I see with him though - he gets blown up by pass-rushers relatively regularly from the right side. This is not his blind side... he's supposed to have better awareness and see at least some of them, but he seems oblivious to a lot of it. I like a lot of things about Levis... but there are also things he needs to work on. 

Yeah its hard to tell how good he is, with how poor the team around him is. One definite pro, is he's one of the very few college QBs that run a pro style offense, he's under centre alot. One negative that comes up on every game tape I've seen, is he often throws off his backfoot or backing up, which is a recipe for turnovers in the NFL.

5 hours ago, stitches said:

FWIW Peyton likes him a lot.  He said “He is definitely an NFL quarterback “.  Bleacher report just did a mock draft and mocked him to the Colts at pick 15. They think he is the most ready to start among all the quarterbacks in the draft.  They said if he winds up with the Colts it would be a marriage made in heaven.   

Once the CFB season is over and the pro days and combines start the QB rankings will change. Levis and Hooker will be amongst the tops imo. Stroud and Bryce have great qualities but the first two show more pro ready qualities. I definitely hope Stroud is gone by our pick to avoid any issues with him. 

On 11/4/2022 at 5:22 PM, DaColts85 said:

Once the CFB season is over and the pro days and combines start the QB rankings will change. Levis and Hooker will be amongst the tops imo. Stroud and Bryce have great qualities but the first two show more pro ready qualities. I definitely hope Stroud is gone by our pick to avoid any issues with him. 

When it comes to Stroud I actually think Justin Fields was better. Stroud is also a pure pocket passer and we need mobility no matter who the next coach is.

29 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

When it comes to Stroud I actually think Justin Fields was better. Stroud is also a pure pocket passer and we need mobility no matter who the next coach is.

I would ask that you watch the highlights of the game yesterday of Ohio State

Stroud had a 44 yard run.... he was out running some LBs on the play

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2022/11/134540/cj-stroud-shows-he-can-run-the-ball-on-a-day-ohio-state-couldn-t-throw-the-ball

Ohio State has installed an offense where he doesnt run often......  but he can be mobile if needed

He has a very quick release and more than strong enough arm

He is much more accurate than Field, but Field is a better runner

I would LOVE to have Stroud

I kind of like Max Duggan too. First thing that caught me was the intangibles. Coaches kid much like Hurts who has a natural love for the game and is very disciplined. Also saw an interview he did with Joel Klatt where he raved about Max’s competitive toughness. 

Also saw he had a 67-yard TD run so he has some wheels on him as well. Need to see some more film but so far so good.

@stitches Where do you have him ranked?

Archived