Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

I’d take Levis over Richardson any day of the week though. Richardson is basically Malik Willis but bigger. At least Levis has good fundamentals and just doesn’t produce. Richardson doesn’t have good fundamentals and doesn’t produce.

When it comes to QBs I think production is important. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Fields, Zach Wilson, Lamar Jackson, and Trevor Lawrence all had great college production. When they have the production and then the traits to match, it gives them a good chance to be successful at the next level.

Thats why I’m sold on Hooker and Duggan. They’re both Heisman front runners because of their off the charts production. They also have the traits that translate.

Im just about out out on Levis, but I’d still take him over all the other QBs in the next tier like DJ, Richardson, McCall, McKee, Hall, etc…

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Aces101 said:

No to Levis!! Doesn't have a single skill that wows you.

Richardson from Florida has accuracy issues but is only 1 year in as a starting QB....and working under his 2nd offensive system in 2 years. He just needs time and reps to develop all the instincts, reads, and accuracy. He has the size, strength, arm talent, running ability, and athletic ability/explosiveness to be an elite QB in the future. He is a larger version of Justin Fields with a stronger arm.

Bingo !!!

19 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I think our chances of getting one of the top QBs in the draft is almost close to 0 now... 

But, if a QB in the next tier is gonna translate well, and if Colts could identify that talent and traits in him in next few months, they'd be in the right spot to grab. That's not gonna happen every draft, but just in case, there's a diamond in the rough....

Thing is, scouts should never give up on identifying such talent out of nowhere, GM should never give up on trying to get one of the best QBs they identify in the draft. 

On 11/16/2022 at 7:45 AM, RollerColt said:

I think our chances of getting one of the top QBs in the draft is almost close to 0 now... 

I like the fact that we won this week, but we beat a worst dumpster fire than we are

We will still have a good pick.....  but the top two will be long gone

I think that Hooker should be around when we draft, and maybe we trade back from 9(ish) to 15 and pick him

There are some other QBs that will be there in (Should be there) later

Tanner McKee, A Richardson, Max Duggan, players that are all better than our current backup Sam E.

They have the talent but need to ride the pine for awhile before you put them in the game

I REALLY dont like Levis........  

3 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I've actually started to sour on this QB draft class as a whole. Outside of QB1-2, I don't see anyone that gets me really excited. But NEXT years QB draft class however... :rock:

I like Hooker, Stroud as well but he will probably go #1. If you give Hooker time, he will shred teams. He isn't that fast though but has good movement within the pocket and his TD/INT ratio is off the charts. His accuracy is great too.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Hooker, Stroud as well but he will probably go #1. If you give Hooker time, he will shred teams. He isn't that fast though but has good movement within the pocket and his TD/INT ratio is off the charts. His accuracy is great too.

Stroud and Young are 1-2, I don't think we'll have a chance at them.

I like Hooker too, but I just don't think he's a homerun completely. As much as people don't want to think the age is a factor it is. Not saying he isn't solid, but he's 25. Its a hell of a lot easier to produce at that age them some guys who are 22. Also I think the talent around him in Ten gets overlooked. Heard questions about his throwing mechanics as well.

6 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Stroud and Young are 1-2, I don't think we'll have a chance at them.

I like Hooker too, but I just don't think he's a homerun completely. As much as people don't want to think the age is a factor it is. Not saying he isn't solid, but he's 25. Its a hell of a lot easier to produce at that age them some guys who are 22. Also I think the talent around him in Ten gets overlooked. Heard questions about his throwing mechanics as well.

You say that talent he has at Tennessee gets overlooked as a bad thing? But yet talk about 2 QB’s with just as much if not more talent on their teams. OSU hasn’t produced a solid QB in quit awhile. Maybe CJ can change that. Young has talent but again many Bama guys typically flame out as well. His athleticism makes him very appealing. 

17 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

You say that talent he has at Tennessee gets overlooked as a bad thing? But yet talk about 2 QB’s with just as much if not more talent on their teams. OSU hasn’t produced a solid QB in quit awhile. Maybe CJ can change that. Young has talent but again many Bama guys typically flame out as well. His athleticism makes him very appealing. 

Sorry I think the point I was trying to make didn't get across well. You're absolutely right about the talent around the other QBs at better schools, no question. Personally, when I hear people talk about Hooker specifically, people talk as if he's putting them on their back, the only reason they're in the top 10 is because of him etc. Do you know what I mean? Not a big slight against him, just perspective.

17 hours ago, stitches said:

Drake Maye anyone? 

One can only dream.

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Doesn’t he still have a year or two before draft eligible?

He can declare for next years draft. Likely 1st overall pick.

1 hour ago, NorthernColt said:

Sorry I think the point I was trying to make didn't get across well. You're absolutely right about the talent around the other QBs at better schools, no question. Personally, when I hear people talk about Hooker specifically, people talk as if he's putting them on their back, the only reason they're in the top 10 is because of him etc. Do you know what I mean? Not a big slight against him, just perspective.

One can only dream.

He can declare for next years draft. Likely 1st overall pick.

I can see your point. I personally see Hooker being better than most in this draft class but that’s just my opinion obviously. So Maye can be 2023 draft eligible? I thought he was a redshirt freshman. I’ll have to look more into him. 

9 hours ago, stitches said:

He can be draft eligible in 2024, but that's no guarantee he will declare... 

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I can see your point. I personally see Hooker being better than most in this draft class but that’s just my opinion obviously. So Maye can be 2023 draft eligible? I thought he was a redshirt freshman. I’ll have to look more into him. 

I swear NFL draft eligibility is you have to be out of high school for 3 years. He red shirted last season, starting this season. So he should be eligible for the next draft no?

3 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

I swear NFL draft eligibility is you have to be out of high school for 3 years. He red shirted last season, starting this season. So he should be eligible for the next draft no?

yes, last year red shirt... this year - year 2(2022-2023), next year - year 3(2023-2024) -> declares for 2024 draft. 

Duggan has 25 tds to 2 Ints

Listed at 4.5 40 time

Maybe a J Hurts "type" of QB

I am going to watch more of Penix this weekend as well 

He is putting up some great stats on an average team

Qbs at 15th - Hooker.......

In round two / three

Duggan/ McKee

On 11/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, NorthernColt said:

I've actually started to sour on this QB draft class as a whole. Outside of QB1-2, I don't see anyone that gets me really excited. But NEXT years QB draft class however... :rock:

That’s what everyone always says and then next year comes and one of two things happen:

1. There are teams far worse than we are who ended up being locks for the top 5 picks where the top QBs go.

2. People always kick the can down the road for another year and say wait until next year.

And then it’s rinse and repeat. Waiting for the stars to align will always keep you stuck in purgatory.

My guess is that we are taking a quarterback with our 1st pick unless Jeff gets the team to have a strong finish with Ryan and then we would go LT 1st and quarterback second round to backup and develop behind Ryan.  If we do go quarterback 1st rd I’m expecting a trade up to get one which could include one of our starters as part of the package.  For me so much depends on how we finish the season.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, NorthernColt said:

Been saying that for a while,this QB class imo is overrated.Stroud,Young,and Hooker may turn out to be descent but I don’t see nothing great from any of them.

56 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Hopefully people are off the Levis wagon

Really?  Maybe it would be a good idea to watch the entire game.  Oh and his below average team is playing the number one team in the country and they started out running the ball with Rodriguez to keep it close.  And his receivers continue to drop catchable balls.  And what do you know he brought them back to keep it close.  If anything people should be jumping on the Levis wagon.  He is a great NFL prospect.  

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Really?  Maybe it would be a good idea to watch the entire game.  Oh and his below average team is playing the number one team in the country and they started out running the ball with Rodriguez to keep it close.  And his receivers continue to drop catchable balls.  And what do you know he brought them back to keep it close.  If anything people should be jumping on the Levis wagon.  He is a great NFL prospect.  

I see Josh Rosen in him

7 hours ago, Indy87 said:

Is anyone paying attention to Bo Nix?

Yes, but the stuff at Auburn is hard to forget. That’ll be the conversation with him. Looked great for one season at Oregon but below average at Auburn.

Also on a side note, Anthony Richardson is awful. Arguably one of the worst QB’s in college football. He will get someone fired in the NFL.

10 hours ago, runthepost said:

Ouch that might be an acl tear for Hooker

Yeah that’s what I’m seeing on Twitter. He will definitely drop after that. If he red-shirts his rookie season, he won’t even start his first NFL game until he’s 26. Idk how many teams are willing to wait that long on a 1st round pick.

I’d say that would move Levis and Duggan ahead of him.

15 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Big Duggan fan here. I have him and Hooker graded equally.

Duggan isnt on any of the "talking heads" QB draft list, which I find surprising

What do you think of DJ from Clemson?  I spent more time watching his games this weekend and put him near the same level as Hooker

If we end up with a pick at 8, and the top two are off the board.......  it might make sense to trade back, to later in the first and take Hooker or DJ

If we go the typical Ballard approach, we will be getting a DE or LT

DJ may well be there with our second round pick

QBs in college are a lottery pick....  You miss much more than you hit....

You have to keep trying if/when you miss

15 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Some people are really high on Levis......   I was in that group earlier in the year....

I have cooled a bit, and would have trouble using a first round pick on him

He seems to process very slowly

If he is there in the second round or third round, he may be a decent pick

45 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Duggan isnt on any of the "talking heads" QB draft list, which I find surprising

What do you think of DJ from Clemson?  I spent more time watching his games this weekend and put him near the same level as Hooker

If we end up with a pick at 8, and the top two are off the board.......  it might make sense to trade back, to later in the first and take Hooker or DJ

If we go the typical Ballard approach, we will be getting a DE or LT

DJ may well be there with our second round pick

QBs in college are a lottery pick....  You miss much more than you hit....

You have to keep trying if/when you miss

Like DJ more than Richardson. In terms of rankings he’s somewhere in between 6-8 for me. He’s raw but with the right coach he could be a better version of Collin Kaepernick. Consistency is the issue with him him. He played well but struggled against Syracuse. Intangibles are great though.

44 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was surprised to see Duggan has a 4.48 40 time + he is pretty accurate. He is clutch too, he has led TCU to a nice couple of comeback wins. He really isn't too small either, he is 6'2. He could be a nice sleeper pick.

Yeah Duggan from everything I’ve watched and read is a legitimate dual threat QB. You have to account for him as a runner because he has legit speed that can burn you. He had a 60+ TD run this year. He takes care of the ball and his leadership, poise, and competitive toughness are off the charts. Not to mention he’s super accurate and takes really good care of the the football.

48 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Some people are really high on Levis......   I was in that group earlier in the year....

I have cooled a bit, and would have trouble using a first round pick on him

He seems to process very slowly

If he is there in the second round or third round, he may be a decent pick

PFF has him as the third overall prospect.  That says a lot for me.  I think he will probably get picked before it’s our turn unfortunately.   I’m not crazy about the other quarterbacks we have a shot at.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

PFF has him as the third overall prospect.  That says a lot for me.  I think he will probably get picked before it’s our turn unfortunately.   I’m not crazy about the other quarterbacks we have a shot at.

I think with any year(and history supports)..... MOST of the cant miss prospects..... miss

I think you keep using draft capitol each and every year, until you get your QB of the future

We dont have the QB of the future on our roster, so I hope we take the best swing we can, when we can ...this year

Archived