Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which QBs to watch

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, stitches said:

Haven't watched Duggan yet. No opinion on him ... 

The guy isnt flashy, but does what it takes to win

He is carrying TCU this year

I hope we take a very hard look at him (if we wait till 2nd round to take a QB)

There are 4-5 that are better though

On 11/7/2022 at 7:30 AM, MikeCurtis said:

The guy isnt flashy, but does what it takes to win

He is carrying TCU this year

I hope we take a very hard look at him (if we wait till 2nd round to take a QB)

There are 4-5 that are better though

My computer for him is an athletic Phillip Rivers. He’s got a big arm and loves to launch it down field. Right now he’s definitely a 2nd round pick. He could rise if he wins the Heisman though. Again I love all the intangibles though

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

My updated QB top 5

1. Bryce Young

2. C.J. Stroud 

3. Will Levis

4. Hendon Hooker

5. Max Duggan 

Still like Hall but he struggled against a poor Boise State team. DJ scares me a bit.  Levis is the consensus pick for the Colts on most draft sites/podcast 

I like the list, but have Hooker ahead of Levis

Levis has weak tools around him, but he seems VERY slow in recognition of blitzs, and seems very slow in when to move

51 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like the list, but have Hooker ahead of Levis

Levis has weak tools around him, but he seems VERY slow in recognition of blitzs, and seems very slow in when to move

Yeah he needs to be better on the mental side of the ball. That can be coached though. I just can’t get over the ceiling for Levis though. Physically, he’s the perfect QB prospect. Arm talent is arguably best in the class, and his athleticism and size are everything you would want for a QB.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah he needs to be better on the mental side of the ball. That can be coached though. I just can’t get over the ceiling for Levis though. Physically, he’s the perfect QB prospect. Arm talent is arguably best in the class, and his athleticism and size are everything you would want for a QB.

Texans, Lions, Commanders, Seahawks, Falcons, Raiders, Panthers, Colts, who else do you think will be in the market for a young QB?

46 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Texans, Lions, Commanders, Seahawks, Falcons, Raiders, Panthers, Colts, who else do you think will be in the market for a young QB?

Best case scenario:

- Commanders keep Wentz

- Seahawks buy into Geno

- Falcons love Ridder? 

Can't give believable scenarios for the rest... they all are probably in the market for a QB. We need to lose a ton of games. 8 preferably. 

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wouldn’t count the Falcons, Raiders, Seahawks, and Texans as sure fire teams needing a QB. Davis Mills has played decent all things considered and a lot of analysts have said he would have been the top QB prospect in the 2022 QB class. 

Falcons drafted Desmond Ridder in the third round. The Raiders have Carr who played well until McDaniels came in. I expect them to fire McDaniels and keep Carr. The Seahawks has Geno who hasn’t hit the Fitzmagic wall yet so they’ll keep him around.

Carolina is 100% taking a QB. Washington will be as well. I just wonder how many of the teams drafting early are going to like the QBs after Young, Stroud, and Levis. I like Hooker and Duggan, but I just think back to this past draft where one team really liked Pickett and the rest went 3rd round or later.

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

Packers, Patriots, Saints, Bucs also might be looking for the right guy at the right time. I'd add Jets also personally, as I think they need to get a better franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Packers, Patriots, Saints, Bucs also might be looking for the right guy at the right time. I'd add Jets also personally, as I think they need to get a better franchise QB. 

Jets won’t be in on a QB. Wilson has shown enough to get the nod for a few seasons. Patriots as well I doubt go after a top guy. These teams will not just abandon the guys they have. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fir what it’s worth, a new analytics story on ESPN.com projects the Colts will win 3 more games and finish 6-10-1. 

With that, they also project the Colts will draft 7th or 8th. 

Something to keep an eye on the rest of the way. 

Yeah. I still keep expecting this team to win some games. But I'm hoping they don't. We should bench every long-term piece with any sort of health issues to recover fully. If they are on the injury report, they should be sitting IMO. 

There is a huge difference between drafting top 3 and drafting 7-8 when you need a QB. At the very least you might save yourself a few high value picks trying to trade up. 

10 hours ago, stitches said:

Yeah. I still keep expecting this team to win some games. But I'm hoping they don't. We should bench every long-term piece with any sort of health issues to recover fully. If they are on the injury report, they should be sitting IMO. 

There is a huge difference between drafting top 3 and drafting 7-8 when you need a QB. At the very least you might save yourself a few high value picks trying to trade up. 

Yeah I would leave Taylor and Leonard on the bench. Leonard honestly isn’t even needed. Play Ehlinger the rest of the way. Let’s hope the Lions, Texans, and Commanders win some games as well.

While I like the depth in this QB class, this is exactly what I was afraid of when people kept saying we should kick the van down the road till 2023. There being a log jam of bad teams with QB needs before us. And we know Ballard don’t like to trade up in the 1st round. We also don’t need to be trading away picks when we also need to get a LT out the first round as well, which makes having a higher pick that much more important. Also need to think about trading away guys like MAC, Kenny Moore, and maybe Leonard in the off-season.

In an ideal scenario you take your QB in the top 10, and then trade up from the top of the 2nd into the 1st to get a LT.

This team is one really good offseason from being back where it needs to be if the GM (hoping it’s not Ballard) goes all in FA and the draft.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:13 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Not Sure (Duggan) why he’s not getting more attention. He’s got the “it” factor the way Hooker does. His team is also undefeated.

Reminds me a little of Sam. Duggan is an inch taller, but 10 lbs lighter. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:29 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Fir what it’s worth, a new analytics story on ESPN.com projects the Colts will win 3 more games and finish 6-10-1. 

With that, they also project the Colts will draft 7th or 8th. 

Something to keep an eye on the rest of the way. 

Im thinking we will 2 more games at best.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:42 PM, chad72 said:

Herndon Hooker in the middle of Round 1, moving up as necessary, and groom him behind Matt Ryan for a year.

On 10/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, stitches said:

F it... give me Hendon Hooker.

Hooker has all the tools and looked great against Alabama

I would LOVE to have him be the starter this year

2 hours ago, stitches said:

I am very close to giving up on Levis. He's way too physically talented to be this mediocre when it comes to statistical output and ability to raise the level of his team.

Yeah 11/23 for 109 yards and zero TDs against 1 INT is concerning. Especially against Vanderbilt. He’s getting close to QB5 for me.

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

I hope not, he was trash yesterday 

I agree. But it seems like in typical Ballard fashion, the scouts care too much about traits. They apparently like Richardson too

Richardson is even worse. Terribly inaccurate and a bad decision maker. But he and Levis will likely have elite RAS scores, and that’s a big thing with this staff.

57 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I agree. But it seems like in typical Ballard fashion, the scouts care too much about traits. They apparently like Richardson too

Richardson is even worse. Terribly inaccurate and a bad decision maker. But he and Levis will likely have elite RAS scores, and that’s a big thing with this staff.

I hope we can move up and get CJ, if not next year QB class looks pretty good

Missouri was the 13th ranked defense in all of CFB before this.

In my updated QB rankings I’d have him 3

1. Bryce Young

2. CJ Stroud

3. Hendon Hooker

4. Max Duggan

5. Will Levis

Im going with proven producers. I defended Levis last week but I’m done. Vanderbilt should have been an easy game for him. Can’t keep blaming lack of talent.

On 11/13/2022 at 3:35 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Oh no.  PFF just put out it’s top 150 prospects and Levis came in as number 3 overall ahead of Stroud at number 4.  That’s Overall not just quarterbacks.  I know PFF is not the be all to end all but they are a very good rating service.  Levis is my 1st choice and now my hopes just took a big hit.  Oh well.

On 11/13/2022 at 9:11 PM, Defjamz26 said:

Maybe, Colts scouts just like the blue and white... :scratch:

Wonder if the scouts concentrate on these QBs as they may think the top QBs like Stroud and Young wouldn't be in their reach anyway, and they want to take a close look at the QBs within their reach in the draft order. That may be a tell that Colts would not like to move up the draft order so high. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Oh no.  PFF just put out it’s top 150 prospects and Levis came in as number 3 overall ahead of Stroud at number 4.  That’s Overall not just quarterbacks.  I know PFF is not the be all to end all but they are a very good rating service.  Levis is my 1st choice and now my hopes just took a big hit.  Oh well.

I’ll have to read the list and see why he was ranked that high. PFF is heavily analytics driven, and he’s had a mediocre season which doesn’t add up. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

IMO….    PFF’s draft coverage is, for me, one of their weaker parts of their product.  

For example….   They’ve been very high on Stanford QB Tanner McKee for this entire year.    But McKee has been hugely disappointing.   I think he MIGHT project to R3-4.   But last week or two, McKee was projected to be taken in the middle of R1.  

Based on……??   Beats me?   Honestly he needs another year of starting, except he’ll be 23 or 24 next year.   So at some point, he’ll turn pro and probably much too soon.  

I wouldn’t consider him in the first two rounds and maybe even the first 3 rounds. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

IMO….    PFF’s draft coverage is, for me, one of their weaker parts of their product.  

For example….   They’ve been very high on Stanford QB Tanner McKee for this entire year.    But McKee has been hugely disappointing.   I think he MIGHT project to R3-4.   But last week or two, McKee was projected to be taken in the middle of R1.  

Based on……??   Beats me?   Honestly he needs another year of starting, except he’ll be 23 or 24 next year.   So at some point, he’ll turn pro and probably much too soon.  

I wouldn’t consider him in the first two rounds and maybe even the first 3 rounds. 

I think they have him in the 1st rd.  Could be wrong.  They are obviously not just looking at current performance.  Many quarterbacks are hampered by the players around them. They all don’t have a Marvin Harrison Jr. lol.  It appears many other factors are taken into account when they make their evaluations.  All we know is what we see.  They dig a lot deeper.

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think they have him in the 1st rd.  Could be wrong.  They are obviously not just looking at current performance.  Many quarterbacks are hampered by the players around them. They all don’t have a Marvin Harrison Jr. lol.  It appears many other factors are taken into account when they make their evaluations.  All we know is what we see.  They dig a lot deeper.

I understand everything you’re saying and don’t disagree.   And Stanford has very poor talent around him.   But McKee has not gotten better.   At all.   He’s great good, but got good, but not grest tools.    But I think he’s a big project.   I liked Davis Mills much, much more than McKee.  

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I just looked at the big board and wow. Levis 3 and Hooker in like the 30s or 40s I believe it was. I liked their draft rankings better when they just went on pure grades. Now it seems like they’ve tried to throw “evaluation” into the process and it makes zero sense. You got a QB with a 69 season grade as the number 3 overall prospect.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I just looked at the big board and wow. Levis 3 and Hooker in like the 30s or 40s I believe it was. I liked their draft rankings better when they just went on pure grades. Now it seems like they’ve tried to throw “evaluation” into the process and it makes zero sense. You got a QB with a 69 season grade as the number 3 overall prospect.

You just said the key word “Prospect “.

No to Levis!! Doesn't have a single skill that wows you.

Richardson from Florida has accuracy issues but is only 1 year in as a starting QB....and working under his 2nd offensive system in 2 years. He just needs time and reps to develop all the instincts, reads, and accuracy. He has the size, strength, arm talent, running ability, and athletic ability/explosiveness to be an elite QB in the future. He is a larger version of Justin Fields with a stronger arm.

Archived