Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan prediction

SurfinKal

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! It does not feel like an upgrade except a feel good story for Irsay and everyone because of Matt Ryan's reputation that was from a few years ago. Let us face it, Frank Reich is not Kyle Shanahan w.r.t play calling and our offensive skill position talent is underwhelming.

Ballard made the deadly mistake of assuming the colts are a veteran qb away from being a contender .  For some reason he thinks just getting a smarter Qb who can take checkdowns would solve everything. It wasn’t just wentz that stunk last year . 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Mariota isn't great, but I don't think this offense would be any worse. Doing the aging pocket passer with declining arm strength thing once was enough. But they doubled-down on it.

Mariota is looking pretty good so far in ATL.  Arthur Smith has changed the offense from pocket passer Ryan to some Read Option...the play where the QB actually runs like Kaep used to, and it keeps the D honest.    Mariota almost brought ATL back by passing.

Still, didn't Ballard want Winston instead?

Just now, coming on strong said:

Ballard made the deadly mistake of assuming the colts are a veteran qb away from being a contender .  For some reason he thinks just getting a smarter Qb who can take checkdowns would solve everything. It wasn’t just wentz that stunk last year . 

That's fair. Ryan didn't have a chance to even take the checkdowns yesterday. The Jags line was in his face practically by the time the ball was snapped to his hands. 

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Mariota is looking pretty good so far in ATL.  Arthur Smith has changed the offense from pocket passer Ryan to some Read Option...the play where the QB actually runs like Kaep used to, and it keeps the D honest.    Mariota almost brought ATL back by passing.

Still, didn't Ballard want Winston instead?

I wanted Indy to try a Read Option guy.  I was an advocate for Mariota even though I don't think he's that good.  It might have worked here with the way our team is built. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I wanted Indy to try a Read Option guy.  I was an advocate for Mariota even though I don't think he's that good.  It might have worked here with the way our team is built. 

Mariotta right now is better than Ryan because he can move and our OL cannot pass block.  This is an indictment of the OL.  

It does not mean Mariota is the answer at QB.  He was a better bridge than Ryan given the OL

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It was crazy. For someone as disciplined as Ballard, it was a lot of money to just give to a QB of that caliber. But they thought they could motivate JB into a legit franchise QB.

That was really when I began to question Ballard's approach at QB.

The "miracle" at this point would be to somehow be in position to get one of the top 3 QB prospects. There is talent on this team, so it would be more of a retooling then a rebuilding.

Even though it would suck to watch bad football for this year and (likely) next, there would be hope. It's a lot more fun to lose and be excited about the future, than to lose and not see a path forward.

just hope ballard is not the one to pick our next qb or wr or te or pass rusher or o-line

18 hours ago, csmopar said:

Honestly, me either. It truly pained me to watch the guy climb of the turf the last sack. He could barely move.  I like the guy, but if he were to announce tomorrow he’s retiring, I’d fully understand. He’s 37 and thought he was going to a team with a good OL. 

Yup. Poor dude lol... 

I think Nelson even allowed a sack lol...

Will look at grades later. Sad......

Not sure if the team is interested in Frank. They looked like G17 last year. Everyone meh... 

I feel like many people are jumping the gun on Matt Ryan. Game 1 he started shaky but had a much better half and should’ve won us the game if the fired kicker makes his kick. Yesterday he had an awful game but so did the OL, WRs, and D. People were saying the same thing after about Rivers after the Browns game.

55 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Polian’s in a class by himself. Ballard should never ever be compared to BP. 

Just look at the record after his first 2 seasons as GM. I see zero similarities between Polian and Ballard. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/PoliBi0.htm

Obvious. I’m just saying that it has been done before. Not saying they are equals but it wouldn’t be the first time. 

11 hours ago, shasta519 said:

I agree that Ryan has been better than that, but 8-9 really great seasons?

It’s more like 1 incredible season, two excellent seasons…and a bunch of decent seasons that usually had high passing volume and yardage.

He has a shot at the HOF though. 

But you could see last season that his skills were declining, but nearly everybody pretended they weren’t seeing it.

I think everybody tried to take last year in a vacuum. The Falcons won games last year they had no business winning, and in part did it because of him and Patterson. The d was dreadful, had no skill position players outside of Pitts and Patterson, and the line was awful. 
Has he regressed and are his physical skills declining? Absolutely. Can he still lead this team to wins. I think so, but he can’t be the focal point. Week 1 he threw it what 50 times? I don’t see that being the recipe for our success.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Obvious. I’m just saying that it has been done before. Not saying they are equals but it wouldn’t be the first time. 

Using Polian was a bad example. 

Honestly, I don’t know who you could compare Ballard with.  

Most GMs don’t get close to a decade especially with Ballard’s record, unless their tied to ownership. Only 9 current GMs in the NFL have been in the chair for a decade. 2 are owners (J. Jones, Brown)Then you have BB with NE. So, 6 guys have currently served for 10 years. 

The life span of GMs is about 5-6 without significant success. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/07/longest-tenured-gms-in-the-nfl-2

21 hours ago, shasta519 said:

It was crazy. For someone as disciplined as Ballard, it was a lot of money to just give to a QB of that caliber. But they thought they could motivate JB into a legit franchise QB.

That was really when I began to question Ballard's approach at QB.

The "miracle" at this point would be to somehow be in position to get one of the top 3 QB prospects. There is talent on this team, so it would be more of a retooling then a rebuilding.

Even though it would suck to watch bad football for this year and (likely) next, there would be hope. It's a lot more fun to lose and be excited about the future, than to lose and not see a path forward.

I questioned Ballard's approach when he first got the gig. When asked if his top priority would be to improve the o-line to protect the often hit Luck, his response was it's NOT about one man. What?!!!!! Everyone knows that in this league you need that franchise qb to even think about becoming a champion and Luck was special. I always wondered how Andrew took that. Funny that Ballard only has ONE playoff win in his 6 yr "MASTER PLAN" tenure and it was with Luck who by the way made a lot of turds (management, coaching staffs and subpar players) look serviceable.

I blame Ballard for this qb carousel. Luck has been gone LONG enough now to have moved up in the draft like other gms have to snag one of these young gun qbs but his philosophy is to trade down, pinch pennies in FA, build a team with a lot of lower round "just guys" types and then reward "his" guys with overpaid extentions on non premium positions. An oft injured lb and guard hauled in monster contracts while we STILL have no long term answer at QB, LT, WR (minus one), no shutdown CB, or playmaking TE and we don't have an elite DE. We are NO closer to being a SB contender than when Ballard first took over the reigns. No division titles in a very weak AFC south and fans are NOW surprised on how this team looks. Built flawed and led by an okay hc but one who is also outdated with his old school offensive scheme and predictable play calling.

For all those who APPLAUDED Ballard  for "stealing" an old Matt Ryan for a 3rd rd pick it was Ballard who actually got fleeced because Matt is washed and it's Atlanta who's laughing. All that nonsense on how he's looked the last few seasons was BLAMED on the Falcons non talent but it was a combination of both. I don't understand WHY Ballard would bring in ANOTHER OLD NON MOBILE QB and put him behind that porous o-line. Matt with eat a lot of turf this season and start seeing ghosts in the pocket. This will not end well....

10 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

For all those who APPLAUDED Ballard  for "stealing" an old Matt Ryan for a 3rd rd pick it was Ballard who actually got fleeced because Matt is washed and it's Atlanta who's laughing. All that nonsense on how he's looked the last few seasons was BLAMED on the Falcons non talent but it was a combination of both. I don't understand WHY Ballard would bring in ANOTHER OLD NON MOBILE QB and put him behind that porous o-line. Matt with eat a lot of turf this season and start seeing ghosts in the pocket. This will not end well....

I feel both Frank and Chris were forced to, by Jim Irsay, to abandon any chance of youth with Wentz at that position. The problem is when you bring in a new QB, you make this assumption he will give everything the previous one gave PLUS something extra. Whichever way we slice it, Matt Ryan is not going to give you yards with his legs or a live arm, neither was Philip Rivers.

Instead of seeing the big picture and trying to coach Wentz up, they were forced to abandon a Year 2 with Wentz, and any continuity with the skill position players as well, IMO. It was clearly a move dictated from above in a knee jerk fashion, more of an emotional move than an objective one, IMO. Frank obviously felt he could get more out of Wentz and he wasn't going to throw his boss or anyone under the bus for not giving him extra time with Wentz. Wentz seems to be hitting his RBs better now in Washington, and I felt he would have taken this year as a last ultimatum/chance year to show he can be better. Hitting reset with the QB position is not a wise thing to do, especially if the QB is young enough to give you several years. One can understand a reset with an old immobile QB but not with a young one. Irsay will be linked with this move forever.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I feel both Frank and Chris were forced to, by Jim Irsay, to abandon any chance of youth with Wentz at that position. The problem is when you bring in a new QB, you make this assumption he will give everything the previous one gave PLUS something extra. Whichever way we slice it, Matt Ryan is not going to give you yards with his legs or a live arm, neither was Philip Rivers. Instead of seeing the big picture and trying to coach Wentz up, they were forced to abandon a Year 2 with Wentz, and any continuity with the skill position players as well, IMO. 

I agree about the Irsay part in forcing Wentz out but this is NOT the same o-line Rivers had. Wentz was at least mobile and bought some time with his legs while avoiding MANY more accounted sacks. My point is that Ballard should have pursued another mobile qb instead. Ryan represented a "name". Atlanta has lost two close games and look better with Mariota than they did with the latter version of Matt Ryan. The rookie qb from the Cincy Bearcats also looks good for them so their future is bright.

Not a fan of Jimmy G but he would've been a better fit. Great leader but has a limited downfield arm. Same with Mariota. You will see the statue Matt age 10 yrs behind THIS pitiful o-line with no receivers to throw to once teams start to take away Pitt. I don't even think Matt can push the ball downfield anymore. His throws seemed to softly flutter on an exaggerated motion (like it was taking everything he had) making them easier to pick. 1 td, 4 picks, numerous fumbles and plenty of sacks is his stat line after ONLY 2 games!!! Yikes...

8 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

I agree about the Irsay part in forcing Wentz out but this is NOT the same o-line Rivers had. Wentz was at least mobile and bought some time with his legs while avoiding MANY more accounted sacks. My point is that Ballard should have pursued another mobile qb instead. Ryan represented a "name". Atlanta has lost two close games and look better with Mariota than they did with the latter version of Matt Ryan. The rookie qb from the Cincy Bearcats also looks good for them so their future is bright.

Not a fan of Jimmy G but he would've been a better fit. Great leader but has a limited downfield arm. Same with Mariota. You will see the statue Matt age 10 yrs behind THIS pitiful o-line with no receivers to throw to once teams start to take away Pitt. I don't even think Matt can push the ball downfield anymore. His throws seemed to softly flutter on an exaggerated motion (like it was taking everything he had) making them easier to pick. 1 td, 4 picks, numerous fumbles and plenty of sacks is his stat line after ONLY 2 games!!! Yikes...

Bro i thought i was the only one seeing those flutter passes against Houston in game 1. Had some against Jax too.

21 minutes ago, MPStack said:

You can easily tell his arm isn’t what it used to be, and he’s not gone deep once after 2 games. 

Im wondering how Frank watched 50 of his throws before the aquisition and didnt see that. Instead he said hes still got it.

22 hours ago, coming on strong said:

I actually feel for Ryan. He was sold fairy tale by Ballard

From a someone who followed Matt Ryan since he entered the league. Matt is a smart field general, team player and will never say anything unprofessional.

The reasons why ATL let him go is obviously caps reasons but the other reason is his arm strength isn't there on the long ball anymore WRs had to wait on the ball and when he tried to hit WRs  in a window the zip he had just wasn't there anymore 

Father time is undefeated.

We are looking at Ryan and all of his past accomplishments and thinking he will bring that here with him. In reality, that's all behind him. So, it's irrelevant for us as Colts fans whether he will be a Hall of Famer or not, because it will be based on what he did in Atlanta. I don't expect much from Matt Ryan moving forward.

He will not get better with time. He will get older. He will find it more difficult to physically get over each week's beating and prepare for next week's game. He will get slower and his arm strength will diminish (already seeing this now).

Hold on, there is absolutely no evidence that Wentz would be any better with this Oline.

This Oline is worse than last seasons.

At least Wentz had Glowinski and Fisher who is still a competent (not great) LT.

Now Ryan has a journey man guard playing LT and Glowinski is gone and Kelly and Smith look completely confused.

The bigger question is why not resign Glowinski who signed a 3 year 18M contract (20 M with incentives).

This is a very reasonable guard contract at 6.66 M per year.

45 minutes ago, PRnum1 said:

Hold on, there is absolutely no evidence that Wentz would be any better with this Oline.

At least Wentz had Glowinski and Fisher who is still a competent (not great) LT.

Now Ryan has a journey man guard playing LT and Glowinski is gone and Kelly and Smith look completely confused.

The bigger question is why not resign Glowinski who signed a 3 year 18M contract (20 M with incentives).

Somewhat true (only the Glow part). However, Fisher was just as bad on skates in pass protection but made up for it in run blocking. Wentz got out of a lot of sacks last year with his legs, a fact forgotten by a lot of fans.

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

You can easily tell his arm isn’t what it used to be, and he’s not gone deep once after 2 games. 

Safe to say no out routes or comeback routes for Ryan either. Last time, we tried one of those down the sidelines, Rivers was picked for a pick six vs the Browns. When Rivers couldn't get the ball in before safeties could recover, we all clamored for Stafford who had the arm strength but when they went with Wentz, we checked the "arm strength" box off but we wouldn't give time for things to stabilize. Matt Ryan is definitely in the worst position possible, young and inexperienced pass catchers and an OL that has been declining.

50 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Father time is undefeated.

We are looking at Ryan and all of his past accomplishments and thinking he will bring that here with him. In reality, that's all behind him. So, it's irrelevant for us as Colts fans whether he will be a Hall of Famer or not, because it will be based on what he did in Atlanta. I don't expect much from Matt Ryan moving forward.

He will not get better with time. He will get older. He will find it more difficult to physically get over each week's beating and prepare for next week's game. He will get slower and his arm strength will diminish (already seeing this now).

Father time has defeated all except one: 

Tom Brady

That dude sold his soul, or something... 

5 hours ago, MPStack said:

How can he hold the ball longer on the deeper routes ?

The Oline has to hold their blocks longer for Ryan to throw it deeper.

20 hours ago, JediXMan said:

I feel like many people are jumping the gun on Matt Ryan. Game 1 he started shaky but had a much better half and should’ve won us the game if the fired kicker makes his kick. Yesterday he had an awful game but so did the OL, WRs, and D. People were saying the same thing after about Rivers after the Browns game.

I thought it was a tragic error not signing a proven LT with Matt Ryan as our QB.

1 hour ago, PRnum1 said:

Hmmm!

Maybe getting a pass rusher and a CB seemed like a higher priority. 

Archived