Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ryan prediction

SurfinKal

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Ryan is trash… I don’t care what his excuses are he’s got 4 picks and 1 touchdown. He constantly fumbles the ball and won’t throw down field… I hope Jim is happy with his choice of shipping of wentz to roll with this trash heap.

blame ballard 

2 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Just stop with the Matt Ryan excuses and apologies. Frankly though, it's not his fault. Except for 2 seasons out of his 14 seasons, he was average or worse. So it's not his fault some people thought that he was good.  But the real issue is who and when we switch QBs and move on.

He became the 2nd fastest player in league history to 60k yards.. you don't do that with 12 below average years. 

Your post is exaggerated and inaccurate.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

you act like he just hasn't drafted WRs. 

He has drafted them, just not the right ones i guess. Pittman being the exception. Obviously Pierce will take time. Maybe too little too late. 

He hasn't seemed to put a priority on the position.. he has drafted 3 2nd rounders... obviously Campbell's injuries haven't helped, but other than a few 2nd rounders he continues to say we can coach WRs up and banks on 6-7th round and undrafted guys... Patmon's potential today is like it was 2 years ago - his production, however, remains next to nothing.

2 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

He became the 2nd fastest player in league history to 60k yards.. you don't do that with 12 below average years. 

He hasn't seemed to put a priority on the position.. he has drafted 3 2nd rounders... obviously Campbell's injuries haven't helped, but other than a few 2nd rounders he continues to say we can coach WRs up and banks on 6-7th round and undrafted guys... Patmon's potential today is like it was 2 years ago - his production, however, remains next to nothing.

yeah but you have to keep in mind we've also traded 2 first round picks recently. one for a QB and one for a DT

2 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Ryan is trash… I don’t care what his excuses are he’s got 4 picks and 1 touchdown. He constantly fumbles the ball and won’t throw down field… I hope Jim is happy with his choice of shipping of wentz to roll with this trash heap.

Matt Ryan is highly probably HOF QB. So just keep blaming everyone but coach and GM and Owner.. Jmo No different than the opinion you just gave of being trash!!!

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

yeah but you have to keep in mind we've also traded 2 first round picks recently. one for a QB and one for a DT

This is true... we've also had a good amount of cap space for most of Ballard's time here (credit to him), and the only free agents from outside our organization he has tried for WR are Ryan Grant, Zach Pascal, Dontrelle Inman and Devin Funchess... even if he wasn't gonna break the bank on a FA WR, he could do something for the instance when our #1 and #2 go down, we at least have someone who is proven to be reliable at the NFL level..  he seems very stubborn about this position group in particular 

4 hours ago, SurfinKal said:

Comes up with an injury during the week and Sam Ehlinger starts versus KC. I think Irsay will want to see what the kid has and its the only way for Matt to save face. 

He barely came off the turf that last sack. Reminded me of that scene from “Friday night lights”

3 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Throw down field with WRs that can’t even separate or hold onto a ball lol

49 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He barely came off the turf that last sack. Reminded me of that scene from “Friday night lights”

Matt is doing the best he can under the current circumstances.

He is probably close to being "over the hill"...and Foles is not even as good.

Tough problem...looks like a sub .500 season this year.

13 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

blame ballard 

Nope I blame irsay! He is the one who threw a fit about Carson’s vaccination status and pushed for trading him away this off-season. He’s the one who made Carson a scapegoat when he clearly wasn’t the main issue. I like to think this slow start is karma coming to bite him in his for how completely unprofessional and irrational he behaves as an owner. STEP DOWN ALREADY!

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yea because total passing yards during the passing era is the real measure of a QB.

Figured I should avoid the board today, but some of y’all need to pump the brakes. We actually have posters in here suggesting we start Ehlinger because we sit at 0-1-1. Seriously?? Look Sam may be good, but he was lighting up 3rd and 4th stringers and some of y’all want to run him out there against the Chiefs? Nah. Ryan looked like crap today, but so did the whole team. D couldn’t get a stop on 3rd down to save their lives. Lawrence carved us up on short passes and we never adjusted. Just gave them 6-7 free yards every play. It was maddening.

34 minutes ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Nope I blame irsay! He is the one who threw a fit about Carson’s vaccination status and pushed for trading him away this off-season. He’s the one who made Carson a scapegoat when he clearly wasn’t the main issue. I like to think this slow start is karma coming to bite him in his a—- for how completely unprofessional and irrational he behaves as an owner. STEP DOWN ALREADY!

This times 10 ^^^^^^^

5 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Some of you really aren't too bright. Brady, Mahomes and Rodgers would have struggled with this offense today. Get over trying to be HURRR WENTZ HURRRR.

That's the point. The offense sucked. It's not about Wentz. It's that the offense sucked. Did I mention they sucked?

1 hour ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

Nope I blame irsay! He is the one who threw a fit about Carson’s vaccination status and pushed for trading him away this off-season. He’s the one who made Carson a scapegoat when he clearly wasn’t the main issue. I like to think this slow start is karma coming to bite him in his a—- for how completely unprofessional and irrational he behaves as an owner. STEP DOWN ALREADY!

Not gonna happen 

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

no shock here lol

Honestly, me either. It truly pained me to watch the guy climb of the turf the last sack. He could barely move.  I like the guy, but if he were to announce tomorrow he’s retiring, I’d fully understand. He’s 37 and thought he was going to a team with a good OL. 

3 hours ago, Maniac53 said:

Matt Ryan is highly probably HOF QB. So just keep blaming everyone but coach and GM and Owner.. Jmo No different than the opinion you just gave of being trash!!!

This year reminds me of the 1 season that Philip Rivers played here - we lost in Week 1 at Jacksonville, and he looked bad doing it, throwing 2 picks that led to 10 points. He was far from alone in screwing up - Frank left points on the field with a stupid 4th down play, defense made Gardner Minshew look like an Pro Bowler, Blankenship missed a 30  yard FG attempt and we lost by a touchdown. The narrative then was that he was done, his arm was shot, no velocity on his passes, he couldn't throw the ball deep, couldn't bring us back from down by 10 or more, ect. When we won our next 3, it was said to be only because they were inferior teams (Vikings, Jets & Bears) and in Week 4 when we lost to the Browns by 9 points, Rivers threw a pick-six. The following game against Cincinatti, we were down 21-0 before getting a rushing TD, Cincy kicked a FG but Rivers threw 2 TD passes in the 2nd Quarter and we trailed by 3 at the half. In the 2nd Half, all we allowed them was a FG while we scored 10 forth Quarter points to win by 4. 

My point is that alot of the stuff people are saying about Ryan now, they said about Rivers then, but many were eating their words by about mid-season, and some talking heads even apologized for having trashed him - it's hard to have continuity (or fast starts) when you have a different starting QB in 7 consecutive seasons, especially coupled with the turnover we've seen with our Coordinators as well.

4 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

This year reminds me of the 1 season that Philip Rivers played here - we lost in Week 1 at Jacksonville, and he looked bad doing it, throwing 2 picks that led to 10 points. He was far from alone in screwing up - Frank left points on the field with a stupid 4th down play, defense made Gardner Minshew look like an Pro Bowler, Blankenship missed a 30  yard FG attempt and we lost by a touchdown. The narrative then was that he was done, his arm was shot, no velocity on his passes, he couldn't throw the ball deep, couldn't bring us back from down by 10 or more, ect. When we won our next 3, it was said to be only because they were inferior teams (Vikings, Jets & Bears) and in Week 4 when we lost to the Browns by 9 points, Rivers threw a pick-six. The following game against Cincinatti, we were down 21-0 before getting a rushing TD, Cincy kicked a FG but Rivers threw 2 TD passes in the 2nd Quarter and we trailed by 3 at the half. In the 2nd Half, all we allowed them was a FG while we scored 10 forth Quarter points to win by 4. 

My point is that alot of the stuff people are saying about Ryan now, they said about Rivers then, but many were eating their words by about mid-season, and some talking heads even apologized for having trashed him - it's hard to have continuity (or fast starts) when you have a different starting QB in 7 consecutive seasons, especially coupled with the turnover we've seen with our Coordinators as well.

Rivers was not this bad.

32 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Rivers was not this bad.

No he wasn't, but his O-line here was much better than the current one is - when he had terrible "protection" in his final seasons with the Chargers, he looked every bit this bad and sometimes even worse.

2 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Yea because total passing yards during the passing era is the real measure of a QB.

Well, since most QBs are judged on how well they pass the ball -- it seems pretty logical to use a metric which measures their effectiveness of passing as a way to gauge if a QB is average or not.  And out of all the QBs who have played in the passing era (or at any other point in NFL history), Matt Ryan is 2nd fastest (behind Drew Brees, in front of Peyton Manning) to get to 60k (a huge milestone).  That's pretty impressive.

It seems like you're one of the types who arguing with is pointless... but since you stated " Except for 2 seasons out of his 14 seasons, he was average or worse."  Maybe you should be clear about what 'average or worse is'... because if we're going by pro bowl selections as a metric suggesting a player is 'above average' or 'very good' at their position, Matt Ryan has made 4 of them (making you wrong already).  

Matt Ryan has the most regular season wins in his first 5 seasons in the league out of any QB in league history (56, tied with Russell Wilson)... he led his team to records of 11-5, 9-5, 13-3, 10-6, 13-3 during that time in games he started... so if winning is what we should judge QBs on, I'd say he was better than average more than 2x in just his first 5 seasons. 

He's got the most passing yards in his first 10 (and 11, 12, 13, and 14) years of any QB in league history... and the most completions of any QB in his first 7 (and 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14) years in league history... so even if we're not going just by yards, but also going by completions... I think it's safe to say he was probably above average in more than 2 of his seasons..

He's definitely been in the top half (above average) QBs in the league in TDs in a season at least 10 times.  He threw for 4000+ yards (typically well above average) 10 years in a row. 

He's 9th all-time with a 65.5% completion rate... he's well above average all time there (not just among his peers).  He's also 9th all-time in TDs.  He's 8th all-time in yards.  He's 7th all-time in passes completed.  

Sorry, but one simply does not become top 10 all-time in 4 primary categories of metrics used to judge QBs, if he's an average or below-average QB for over 85% of his career (like you suggest).  Think about how many QBs have played during the passing era -- he's better than almost all of them (and all those ahead of him are already in or will be in the HOF).  

Not sure how many more categories you'd like to go through, but you should probably just admit that your statement that Matt Ryan has only been good for 2 years out of his 14+ in the NFL is wrong.  The guy is a lock for the Hall of Fame, one of the all-time greats, and he's been above average in the vast majority of his seasons within the NFL.

8 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Just stop with the Matt Ryan excuses and apologies. Frankly though, it's not his fault. Except for 2 seasons out of his 14 seasons, he was average or worse. So it's not his fault some people thought that he was good.  But the real issue is who and when we switch QBs and move on.

Really bad take my guy. I’d count 8 or 9 really great seasons. Now if you said he’s no longer that guy physically then I would agree. To say he was average or worse most of his career is just ignorant.

12 hours ago, SurfinKal said:

Comes up with an injury during the week and Sam Ehlinger starts versus KC. I think Irsay will want to see what the kid has and its the only way for Matt to save face. 

When Matt was considering the Colts, he placed a call to his friend Peyton Manning. And the first question he asked was about Irsay, and was he serious about winning. 

By all accounts Peyton assured Ryan that Irsay is entirely about winning.   So, I don’t see us starting Sam and bagging the season.   That would be unlike Irsay.   I don’t see him doing this even if some of his friends want us to. 

14 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

He shouldn't 

this point, yes Foles should play over Sam.  The season isn't lost yet because we are only 2 games into a 17 games season.  I expect the Colts will be 4-8 after 12 games and the towel can be thrown in at that point and we can see some Sam and tank for the rest of the season.  

14 hours ago, Bert Johns said:

Frank is horrible and the Colts keep bringing in qbs over the hill or average at best. That's the Colts way with Frank and Ballard. No kahoneys to try a young guy at qb. It's all about them and not the team. You keep hearing about bringing in guys to improve the team nonsense. To afraid they will lose there jobs but at this point with no improvement cut your losses. 

Fact that Ballard trotted out Tolzien tells me he should never be handed a QB decision!

10 hours ago, Matty Ice-Ice Baby said:

It’s not just Irsay. The entire org. and the local media scapegoated Wentz. The narrative all offseason was about much of a massive upgrade Ryan was, due to things like accuracy, consistency and (especially) leadership. 

And Reich is clearly next. But this is heading in a place that is so bad that you can’t scapegoat any one person.

31 minutes ago, IndySouthsider said:

Fact that Ballard trotted out Tolzien tells me he should never be handed a QB decision!

He was going to start Tolzien that season, until Edelman tore his ACL during preseason and NE had to scramble to trade for a WR. If they don’t call IND, there is no way JB ends up here. It was just pure circumstance. 

And Ryan was too.

Archived