Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Jax Post Game Thoughts (G2)

EastStreet

i just  dont understand the logic of ballard watching last years blowout and thinking we need to get 37 year old matt ryan he is the missing piece .  it boggles my mind how he lets the backup tackle start the season and only gets one second round pick who can take years to develop and think the outcome will be different .

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, smittywerb said:

I agree, but we're doing this now?  Throwing him into the fire without having a full off-season and pre-season of calling plays.  Unless he's a gem that we've been hiding then it's going to be worst.  It may can develop into something if he's actually good, but then that's acknowledging the incompetence of Reich not relieving himself of play-calling duties. 

He's an Offensive Coordinator, and that's part of his job - coordinators of successful teams are often hired as Head Coaches but we're supposed to baby this guy and pay him for things he's not doing simply because Frank is a control freak?

It's time to relieve Frank of some of that control, so he can focus on the entire team that he's responsible for because if we fail miserably because the defense stinks, he still gets fired because he's ultimately accountable for the performance of the entire team, not just a flaccid offense that couldn't muster so much as 1 point today.

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i just  dont understand the logic of ballard watching last years blowout and thinking we need to get 37 year old matt ryan he is the missing piece .  it boggles my mind how he lets the backup tackle start the season and only gets one second round pick who can take years to develop and think the outcome will be different .

Irsay kind of forced his hand. We would be ahead of the game had we kept Carson.

yannick is also  terrible the guy has been on so many teams for a reason in his short career .   he is the reason colts are getting gashed on the ground .  cant set the edge is horrible at stopping the run and gives up on plays .    trevor breaks out of the pocket on one play and yannick just gives up chasing him when he is close to him and lets him throw it . 

22 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Agree with the bolded, but it's only going to be game 3 of a 16 game season.  A lot can be accomplished in that time.  That's one of the blessings I take from this game.  Plenty of time for this team to start evaluating talent, AND a very outside chance of turning this thing around.  We still have a very good RB, an outstanding WIL among other positions.  The direction of this team is a train wreck, but the talent is still above average, in my opinion.

we don't need a new play book, we need someone different calling the plays. Most playbooks have damn near the same exact plays. it's the order and personell of the calls that matters. 

how different do you really think Doug Pederson's playbook is comapred to Reichs? Its basically the same book. Two different people when it comes to how they call the game. 

Just now, coming on strong said:

yannick is also  terrible the guy has been on so many teams for a reason in his short career .   he is the reason colts are getting gashed on the ground .  cant set the edge is horrible at stopping the run and gives up on plays .    trevor breaks out of the pocket on one play and yannick just gives up chasing him when he is close to him and lets him throw it . 

He has never been a edge setter. His job has always been go after the QB. I thought colt fans knew that. 

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He has never been a edge setter. His job has always been go after the QB. I thought colt fans knew that. 

he cant get to the QB the guy stinks .  i havent watched him much with his other teams but i am guessing he got 9 sacks the same way erik walden did here .  coverage and clean up sacks  the guy stinks . 

Just now, coming on strong said:

he cant get to the QB the guy stinks .  i havent watched him much with his other teams but i am guessing he got 9 sacks the same way erik walden did here .  coverage and clean up sacks  the guy stinks . 

Yeah you can over look it in the run game if your sacking the QB bur when your not even doing that there is a issue.

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

we don't need a new play book, we need someone different calling the plays. Most playbooks have damn near the same exact plays. it's the order and personell of the calls that matters. 

how different do you really think Doug Pederson's playbook is comapred to Reichs? Its basically the same book. Two different people when it comes to how they call the game. 

Agreed on the plays aspect of your post. There aren't any secret plays out there, they all run the same exact ones.

Frank has zero feel for how to call a game depending on how we're playing at the time. 

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

I always thought he'd be to light and would be a liability on the run. He's also not doing much against the pass.

4 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

well he didn't succeed at either today. So i guess anyone could be out there. 

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

john Fox  as the  interim coach to get through the season.

8 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Awful 

This was not an outlier game on that.  We were horrible on QB pressure last week, too.  KP’s 2 late sacks sorta turned attention away from that.

We don’t have the horses up front to pressure with the front 4.  We’re going to have to start blitzing more…whether Bradley likes to do it or not.

Coaches have to scheme to the team they have, not the team they wish they had.

10 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

He's an Offensive Coordinator, and that's part of his job - coordinators of successful teams are often hired as Head Coaches but we're supposed to baby this guy and pay him for things he's not doing simply because Frank is a control freak?

It's time to relieve Frank of some of that control, so he can focus on the entire team that he's responsible for because if we fail miserably because the defense stinks, he still gets fired because he's ultimately accountable for the performance of the entire team, not just a flaccid offense that couldn't muster so much as 1 point today.

100% agreed.  I'm for it. 

17 minutes ago, ShuteAt168 said:

Chris Ballard is 41-41-1. Average. And his arrogance makes him a tough guy to root for, in my opinion. He acts like fans are stupid for questioning the WRs. Jax overpaid for Gear according to Ballard’s team-building philosophy but he was a difference maker today. He acts like fans are stupid for questioning why you bring in an old QB and no proven LT. He never zips it about the importance of the trenches but we apparently stink in the trenches. The debacle with McDaniels, hiring Frank, patching the QB position year after year … I could go on but you guys already know all this. 41-41-1. 

Ballard is a FIRST TIME gm who ACTS and TALKS like he has MULTIPLE SB trophies under his belt. He has built a team made for the 80's and has an hc who calls plays yet is a relic in today's wide open offensive nfl.

Let me get this straight.... Luck has been gone how long? STILL no replacement! CHECK

No playmakers at wr (minus one). CHECK

No LT for an aging non mobile qb. CHECK

STILL no pass rush year after year. CHECK

O-line has regressed, Gus Bradley's scheme is MORE passive than last years and the defense is not even getting the turnovers to boot. I know Leonard is out (more and more) but that's a problem too for one of the highest paid lbs in the league.

Ballard has invested too much capital in non premium positions. Wait a minute please REMIND me WHY he's one of the so called best with an avg record in a WEAK division that the Colts have yet to win under his watch. At this pace the Jags or Texans will surpass these good guy Colts. Ballard is SOLID but nothing special except for maybe pulling the wool over some people's eyes! Time to pull the plug on this VERY mediocre and OUTDATED regime. 

the most mind boggling thing is how the colts offense reacts to being blitzed .   they cant pick it up to save their live every time there is a free rusher .   pinter goes over to help smith instead of picking up allen .   how do you not keep track of the jags number 1 pass rusher on a play ?  this  is the same problem as last year all team have to do is blitz every play and panic ensues with the colts and they cant counter it .

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its not a defense of Frank, but why do so many think that Brady will be better?

At this point I'd settle for anyone, especially guy who's job it actually is to coordinate the offense. 

Frank's playcalling is stale & ineffective, and it's about time we have a fresh voice doing it.

Just now, JediXMan said:

Funny how it looks like Texans and Jags improved. While the Colts and Titans looks like the have regressed lol.

Well jags spent money to help their young QB. Texans finally got resolution with Watson and are able to move on. Broncos aren’t looking great.

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

the most mind boggling thing is how the colts offense reacts to being blitzed .   they cant pick it up to save their live every time there is a free rusher .   pinter goes over to help smith instead of picking up allen .   how do you not keep track of the jags number 1 pass rusher on a play ?  this  is the same problem as last year all team have to do is blitz every play and panic ensues with the colts and they cant counter it .

Kind of like maybe we should of kept glow 

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

Do you trust Ballard to make not just the coach pick but the pick for the next QB... lets say it requires a few future high picks? Do you trust him to spend our next 3 years' of premier picks on a QB? 

Ballard tried to hire several guys, before Reich. And we know the owner is 50% at least on coach choice.

And a new coach will again another GM/Owner decision.

No clue on QB. IMO, the push of Rivers, Wentz, etc. was likely a Reich push. 

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think the moment you are not sure he's the guy is the moment you have to move on and not let him waste your resources and time. After 6 years I don't want to be giving him another chance to prove whether he's good enough of a GM to lead us where we want to go or not. At this point we should know where we stand with him. The worst position for us to be in is for him to need to prove himself, for us to need a new coach, new QB and other premier positions. This is a recipe for disaster. Decision makers on the hot seat make bad decisions to save their job. 

Like I said, not a Ballard worshipper. Just hard to blame some stuff on him... we just don't know. 

Are you confident in Irsay's picks (GM or Coach)?

1 minute ago, JediXMan said:

Funny how it looks like Texans and Jags improved. While the Colts and Titans looks like the have regressed lol.

After several seasons of getting the first round pick in the draft, the Jags don’t surprise me at all.  Texans are the surprise for me, with the dumpster fire with Watson.

Archived