Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2022 Colts at Jax Post Game Thoughts (G2)

EastStreet

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm rarely on the "Fire Everyone" train but after today's game, let's start getting the gasoline ready.

Offense:  We were dominated and nothing shows that better than a score of ZERO!  Ryan first INT was all him.  The other 2 I blame on the OL.  The OL were HORRIBLE.  Nothing positive to say about them.  Didn't give Ryan any time to throw.  Maybe Wentz would've been better for us because at least he can move.  Ryan is a target sitting behind that line and I doubt he'll last the entire season.  The WRs disappointed again.  No separation at all.  Ryan can throw to someone who isn't open.  With the lack of separation we get, Ryan can barely throw them open.  Nice to see Hines get some looks but the Jags adjusted and they stopped that quick!  You want to beat us?  Just stack the box, blitz and dare our receivers to get open.  By the time they get open, Ryan is eating dirt.

Defense:  Pass defense was horrible!  Run defense started out ok but once the Jags realized we couldn't stop the pass they had us on our heels the entire game.  Doug and his staff made our defense look like crap.  Lawrence had all the time he wanted to throw and he picked us apart.  Getting Shaq back is not going to save this defense.  I thought we had upgraded our pass rush but it was non-existent this game.

Frank Reich needs to go.  Like NOW.  I've seen everything I need to see about him.  Good HC but horrible playcaller.  And since he can't delegate playcalling to the OC because he's never called plays then that falls on Reich.  He put himself in this position.  Get rid of him and the OL coach.  Our QB is getting rocked and we continue to call long-developing plays other than the occasional screen or bubble.  And that goal situation, probably the worst I've seen in my life.

Ballard is on the hot seat.  I'll give him credit for building a solid foundation from what he inherited but his lack of aggressiveness during FA is what's killing this team.  I'm not asking for us to be the FA champs every year, but if we need to overpay to get someone of DIRE need (like a WR1, Pass Rush DE or LB, LT, etc.) then SPEND THE MONEY.  He drafts good but sucks at FA and a GM is not going to hit on every pick.  So when we miss in the draft, it's like a double whammy because we're not bringing in talent from the outside to address it.  I'd give him one more year to show he can make some moves in FA.

This does not look like a team that can turn it around.  If we were showing some type of promise then I'd be ok with holding it together.  But this team should be 0-2 right now and with 0 wins for our first 2 games within the division, I doubt we'll win the division and also get into the playoffs with how strong the AFC is.  No reason to miss out on getting a franchise QB in this upcoming draft and starting the rebuild. 

19 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Most likely no GM firing until end of season. But they could fire Reich make fox interim head coach and see if he had more success with Ballard’s players. If not Ballard goes at the end of season. 

Sad thing is what good head coach would come here with no future QB. Unless colts had the first pick. 

Is Dodds better then Ballard or do they have same philosophy. You could fort Ballard and out Dodds in now and make fox coach.

Both Fox and Gus have HC experience (for interim). 

No openings for teams with young stud QBs, so there are options for us. 

6 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I have some bad news for you, Mahomes has usually torched Gus Bradley in every matchup

Like I said big IF. Didn't we beat Chiefs the year they won SB? Not saying it can happen and I have no big hopes on this over paid OL and DL.

Any giving Sunday!!

57 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

3.  Ballard’s plan for the young WRs has officially failed.  Look at this:

Seriously, forget the stats here, just look at those 5 names.  Say who? to each one of them.

I'm not defending Frank or Ryan, they each have their issues, but what offensive brain trust is going to make any lemonade out of those lemons?  They are back up quality players, period...and some even go to the PS frequently.

SlowMo Allie Cox

Granson

Dulin

Patmon

Strachan.

A DC just has to attack the receivers and the LOS, and make the O prove that they can deal with it.  And no, they won't be able to.  Not a threat in the bunch, or even close.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Oh he's DEFINITELY a bad motivator! Who preaches 1-0 when the Jags have beaten us ugly since forever at their place. He should've been fire and brimstone pregame and in the lockerroom at half time! Thing is, you can just hear his droning voice...

You just don't get to see the full effect of a different offensice philosophy midseason. It takes time to implement.

Also, a new HC will want influence on the other coaching staff, DC among others. Ballard wants Bradley. His scheme is what he has been chasing. What if a new HC disagrees?

Agree with the bolded, but it's only going to be game 3 of a 16 game season.  A lot can be accomplished in that time.  That's one of the blessings I take from this game.  Plenty of time for this team to start evaluating talent, AND a very outside chance of turning this thing around.  We still have a very good RB, an outstanding WIL among other positions.  The direction of this team is a train wreck, but the talent is still above average, in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I am no worshipper for Ballard. Folks lol'd me when I criticized Ballard for some things through years... 

But... 

It's hard (for me) to blame Ballard on several things....

Coaching? Obvious Frank is bad. IMO, Irsay is at least 50% on that hire... 

Did Ballard push for JB, Rivers, Wentz, etc.. probably no. Likely Reich. 

And I think Rivers and Wentz, neither were bad, but both were handcuffed by Reich's scheme. 

We don't know, in terms of who is pushing things... 

I'd prefer to see Ballard with another coach, and grade.

Do you trust Ballard to make not just the coach pick but the pick for the next QB... lets say it requires a few future high picks? Do you trust him to spend our next 3 years' of premier picks on a QB? 

I think the moment you are not sure he's the guy is the moment you have to move on and not let him waste your resources and time. After 6 years I don't want to be giving him another chance to prove whether he's good enough of a GM to lead us where we want to go or not. At this point we should know where we stand with him. The worst position for us to be in is for him to need to prove himself, for us to need a new coach, new QB and other premier positions. This is a recipe for disaster. Decision makers on the hot seat make bad decisions to save their job. 

14 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

The OC would be a good start, he's being paid to "coordinate the offense" and calling plays should be a part of that - he can't possibly be as stubborn & unimaginative as Frank has been for years and often times in sports, a different voice is needed to shake up & right the ship.

Frank will get fired before he gives up playcalling.  Letting a OC who has never called plays start calling plays after starting 0-2 vs the Chiefs sounds like a disaster.

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Do you trust Ballard to make not just the coach pick but the pick for the next QB... lets say it requires a few future high picks? Do you trust him to spend our next 3 years' of premier picks on a QB? 

I think the moment you are not sure he's the guy is the moment you have to move on and not let him waste your resources and time. After 6 years I don't want to be giving him another chance to prove whether he's good enough of a GM to lead us where we want to go or not. At this point we should know where we stand with him. The worst position for us to be in is for him to need to prove himself, for us to need a new coach, new QB and other premier positions. This is a recipe for disaster. Decision makers on the hot seat make bad decisions to save their job. 

Actually I do. If it’s anything, I trust Ballard to do, it’s draft well.

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Seriously, forget the stats here, just look at those 5 names.  Say who? to each one of them.

I'm not defending Frank or Ryan, they each have their issues, but what offensive brain trust is going to make any lemonade out of those lemons?  They are back up quality players, period...and some even go to the PS frequently.

SlowMo Allie Cox

Granson

Dulin

Patmon

Strachan.

So we are depending on 2 other players that didn't make the game?

Isn't teams a 53 man roster?

1 minute ago, Maniac53 said:

So we are depending on 2 other players that didn't make the game?

Isn't teams a 53 man roster?

I get it.  I'm saying that looking at who played, its no surprise to me what happened.  If you want to project what would have happened with the other two players starting, well, you can look to last year....lol.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Exactly. You don’t have all pro players at every level but WR and TE only to lose like we do. No it’s on Reich. 

all I know is this, if I’m Irsay and somehow Reich made it on the plane to return tonight, I’m handing him a parachute, opening the door, and sternum kicking him right out the plane. That, or change the locks to facility before Reich lands. Something. Reich needs to go. Period 

Last straw IMO is the locker room is lost. 

Got to make a move. No choice. 

Let Fox or Gus come in, and kick butts.

If guys respond, great. If they don't, get rid of them. 

And start early (coach search)

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Actually I do. If it’s anything, I trust Ballard to do, it’s draft well.

I don't think I trust him with any of the high value positions. QBs, WRs, TEs... anything related to the pass-game has been underwhelming. pretty much his only hit is Pittman. That's in 6 years... 

1 minute ago, smittywerb said:

Frank will get fired before he gives up playcalling.  Letting a OC who has never called plays start calling plays after starting 0-2 vs the Chiefs sounds like a disaster.

He may not have ever called them at the professional level, but he may have for a high school or college team - nonetheless, it's part of his job description, Frank stinks at it most of the time and if our current OC can't or won't, we should replace him with someone who can.

29 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Can we get some players that are dogs. This is pathetic from Ryan.

"Show up and be ready"  Who does that fall on?  Players and Reich.  GM puts the people in place, Coach makes sure they're in place and ready.  We did not show up and we weren't ready.  The solution is simple.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

He may not have ever called them at the professional level, but he may have for a high school or college team - nonetheless, it's part of his job description, Frank stinks at it most of the time and if our current OC can't or won't, we should replace him with someone who can.

I agree, but we're doing this now?  Throwing him into the fire without having a full off-season and pre-season of calling plays.  Unless he's a gem that we've been hiding then it's going to be worst.  It may can develop into something if he's actually good, but then that's acknowledging the incompetence of Reich not relieving himself of play-calling duties. 

Just now, coming on strong said:

2020 he was really good last year he started to vanish in games .  this year he looks horrible he is getting no pressure

He isn’t worth 90 million. To think we didn’t draft a QB for him makes me mad. We would be on year 3 of that QB and would be on our way ahead of the game had they taken a QB.

1 minute ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

He was very good again today even though they lost. He almost pulled it off.

washingtons offensive line is much better at pass blocking and they have way better wrs .  put carson on this team today the score is the same .  its a talent and coaching issue colts better just hope for a high draft pick

19 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

It’s pretty sad when part of our discussions are what players need to play what positions; that speaks volumes about how bad the coaching is.

It's really confusing... can't understand his choices....

Personnel or game plans or play calls...

My personal favorite.... Doesn't practice back up Hoyer the whole week, then goes air raid vs Miami... 

confused-no.gif

Just now, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

It would just be interim until season is over.

we need frank to secure a franchise QB  next year .  cant have chances and lose out on the next herbert or mahomes .  i rather stink this year and get a franchise guy .  one year of pain is better than the frank reich false hope almost making the playoffs and having a old bandaid QB.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

washingtons offensive line is much better at pass blocking and they have way better wrs .  put carson on this team today the score is the same .  its a talent and coaching issue colts better just hope for a high draft pick

He was sacked 5 times 

We finally get a healthy Parris and Reich doesn’t use him lol.

16 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

Its not a defense of Frank, but why do so many think that Brady will be better?

Archived