Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Foles signing with Colts 5/23

CR91

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was definitely not on board with Foles when Wentz was the QB. Had no thoughts about him coming on as a backup, since Matt was signed because frankly, I didn't think he could be signed for what they inked him for. Having your #1 and #2 QB both with SB experience as a starter, is pretty rare. 

Enthusiastic thumbs up. 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

In two years we trade for Kirk Cousins. We will be the retirement home for all aging QBs. 

We all know this is a copycat league.  If we win the SB with Ryan one year after the Rams win with Stafford then trading for a veteran quarterback might be the new and quickest way to get a SB.  Other teams will follow.  If we just make the playoffs that strategy could become more prevalent.  Time will tell.

19 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Was definitely not on board with Foles when Wentz was the QB. Had no thoughts about him coming on as a backup, since Matt was signed because frankly, I didn't think he could be signed for what they inked him for. Having your #1 and #2 QB both with SB experience as a starter, is pretty rare. 

Enthusiastic thumbs up. 

I can't believe the complaints??????  Did these posters actually believe that Sam could hold the fort should Ryan unfortunately go down for a game or two?  It was a good pick up at a good price!

11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

We all know this is a copycat league.  If we win the SB with Ryan one year after the Rams win with Stafford then trading for a veteran quarterback might be the new and quickest way to get a SB.  Other teams will follow.  If we just make the playoffs that strategy could become more prevalent.  Time will tell.

There has already been a pattern with Brady  before Stafford.  I think most teams would rather take the vet. But that vet doesn’t come around that much. 

I will admit I didn't think it would happen especially since we rolled with Sam last year behind a QB known to get dinged up......but now that it has happened then I like the idea of having someone with game experience, a Super Bowl ring, and knowledge of the offense and the swagger to operate within it! Granted if he were never released by the Bears this may have not happened just as if the Falcons hadn't entertained Watson then we likely wouldn't have gotten Matt Ryan either.

So while these two moves were never likely "part of the plan" for this off-season, kudos for Ballard striking quick and being opportunistic, if not lucky!

19 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I will admit I didn't think it would happen especially since we rolled with Sam last year behind a QB known to get dinged up......but now that it has happened then I like the idea of having someone with game experience, a Super Bowl ring, and knowledge of the offense and the swagger to operate within it! Granted if he were never released by the Bears this may have not happened just as if the Falcons hadn't entertained Watson then we likely wouldn't have gotten Matt Ryan either.

So while these two moves were never likely "part of the plan" for this off-season, kudos for Ballard striking quick and being opportunistic, if not lucky!

Makes me wonder if Ryan hadn’t been available for a trade if they would of tried to trade for Foles. Rumor was it was going to be Winston but you never know.

6 minutes ago, TaylorTheStudMuffin said:

Makes me wonder if Ryan hadn’t been available for a trade if they would of tried to trade for Foles. Rumor was it was going to be Winston but you never know.

I'm thinking we would of signed Mariota, and we would of possibly drafted Malik Willis in the 3rd round to back him up for a year if Ryan was unavailable. That's my guess anyway.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Teams have been chasing SBs by trading for veteran QBs for decades. It normally doesn’t work 

6 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Bummed it was Morgan who was shown the door as he has that big arm but Coan must have flashed last week in camp so him and Sam battling for the 3 spot it looks like.

Coan has a strong arm, he's mobile, has produced against top level competition and in my opinion will make Sam expendable.

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Coan has a strong arm, he's mobile, has produced against top level competition and in my opinion will make Sam expendable.

Its possible, the coaches saw something they liked to give Morgan the pink slip so that bodes well for Coan imo.

37 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

except last year and kinda the year before

It wasn’t kinda the year before. Tom Brady was a free agent. Just like Peyton Manning was when he went to the Broncos. 

Teams usually are very competitive when they make a trade for a veteran QB but I honestly can’t remember it ever working for a championship besides last year.  It’s the exception. I say the Colts have the best chance followed by the Broncos with Wilson.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:13 PM, Solid84 said:

We needed a vet backup QB, but I can't say I'm thrilled about another Reich reclamation project.

The list of Reich's former people he knew coming to the colts never ends. Rumor is that there is a former Hot Dog vendor in san Diego when frank was there that he's interested in bringing to indy.  Lol

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Thats not going to be the issue here.  Everyone knows Ryan is the starter.  Foles as the backup isn’t going to threaten that.  There are reasons to be concerned about this move but this isn’t one of them.

I don't know if everyone knows that. If Ryan is less than sub par at the beginning and/or injured and Foles plays like he did in the super bowl, people will start to wonder.....including Ryan & Foles. Lol

Having said that, bringing in Foles is not bad, it's good. Having a decent proven backup QB is important. I just hope he can play at level higher than he has recently.  

40 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It wasn’t kinda the year before. Tom Brady was a free agent. Just like Peyton Manning was when he went to the Broncos. 

Teams usually are very competitive when they make a trade for a veteran QB but I honestly can’t remember it ever working for a championship besides last year.  It’s the exception. I say the Colts have the best chance followed by the Broncos with Wilson.

The common denominator is these older quarterbacks are still very productive in their later years and can win Super Bowls.  Can’t forget Rivers getting us into the playoffs either.  For me I think the door is open for more of these older quarterbacks to be traded to teams ready to contend for a super bowl.  It’s a definite path that can work.  Every team wants that young franchise quarterback but contending teams don’t have to go that route.  The fear that an older quarterback can’t produce is pretty much a stigma that has now been disproven.  The Colts would love that young franchise quarterback.  With any luck we can wait and grab the youngest Manning when he’s ready to declare for the draft.

Archived