Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

*Updated* Colts sign Stephon Gilmore (Merge)

Smonroe

11 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think of it like MAC and Pinter are guys that can give you competent play.  Pryor I'm a little less confident about.  And there is no doubt that Ballard will have to address the WR spot, despite what he says.....so I'm not concerned that a better WR than Pascal will be playing opposite Pittman come September.  Even if Ballard drafts a LT, OG, TE, they won't be ready early, so we might have to roll with the other three players, and they have shown to be at least competent. 

I wish I shared your confidence, however soft it is.  It all looks good on paper...until the ball's kicked in the air.

Assuming there aren't any more significant moves in FA/Trades, I'm sure they plan to draft at least 1 or 2 OLs.  All I know is that I have the same uneasy feeling I had last off-season about our offensive line.  I was cautiously optimistic about Fisher -- but it turned out the caution was more warranted than the optimism.

I'm all for upgrades at WR, too.  It clearly needs it.  But you don't have a passing game if you don't have good pass protection -- and it doesn't matter who your QB or receivers are.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Smoke317 said:

What were the terms & how are we looking on remaining cap space?  Do we have room to pick up another free agent?

We could easily raise another $25 M with restructures. And could even lower Q's salary for this year on a new contract with a signing bonus.
  CB could sign both J Landry and Mathieu to Gilmore $$ contracts.
  I don't expect either.
   Duane Brown for $8-9M ???  

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Imagine this on third down

Rodgers and Gilmore on the outside

Kenny in the slot

Darius roaming

Willis in the box

Mcleod and Blackmon in the backend

Yannick, Buck, Dayo, Kwity crashing the line.

I don't envy offenses

There'll be cannonballs if you do the Offense next

Excited Lets Go GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

What were talking about is how good he will be considering the changes that have happened since his prime.  Its football, so no rocket science is needed, just common sense.

Yeah so there isn't no "probably" in it when comparing him to rhodes because he's alot better than what we had period that's the common sense part

1 hour ago, icf said:

good signing at a position of need.

now hopefully Ballard with lean heavily on the offensive side in the draft.

Yes, but depth is a big concern in the secondary, and cannot be overlooked. Signing this guy is great, but if he gets injured, who's behind him?

Mixed feelings on this move. I'm glad Ballard is at least making some moves, but Gilmore has been injury-prone lately and nowhere near his prime. Still, we needed CB help and he's easily an upgrade from anyone we have. Hopefully this bodes well for a WR or LOT with that 2d round pick. 

23 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

There'll be cannonballs if you do the Offense next

Excited Lets Go GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Yes there's holes. I fully expect an offensive draft. Imo, we'll probably trade back to get more picks. Address LT first then work on WR and TE and possibly another RB to spell Taylor. 

Great signing. On paper, and I say on paper we look like a top 5-7ish team on defense now. Gilmore will be completely healthy once the season starts so I am not worried about his health. McLeod was at worse a above average addition - he is a solid S. I like Rodgers, Facyson, and of course Kenny Moore as well. Yannick will get us 10+ sacks, he just does that most seasons, Buck and Leonard are top 3 at their positions, and I think Paye will be better in year 2. This D should be able to give Matt Ryan plenty of opportunities to win games. Of course Taylor, Pittman, and Hines has to stay healthy for it all to click on offense. Our O.Line is good as long as Nelson and Kelly stay healthy but that LT position is iffy.

We still need 1 more WR to really make this a great offseason, I would love Landry here. We could then draft a LT and go BPA mostly in the draft at that point. 

25 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Yes, but depth is a big concern in the secondary, and cannot be overlooked. Signing this guy is great, but if he gets injured, who's behind him?

Gilmore, Rodgers, Facyson, Moore, Tell, Wilcox

51 minutes ago, masterlock said:

As of now Rogers, Moore, Tell. We are likely TODAY, as deep as any team out there. You people!

2 hours ago, Pat Curtis said:

Good signing.  He's great when there's no pressure on the QB and elite when the QB is hurried or hit.

Now that we've bolstered the Defense and ST's with trades and FA acquisitions, I hope they focus on the Offense in the draft in a couple weeks.  We also have to be tight on cap space as well I'd think?

The won't, It will be all special teams and the kicking game from here to camp!   :stir:

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Imagine this on third down

Rodgers and Gilmore on the outside

Kenny in the slot

Darius roaming

Willis in the box

Mcleod and Blackmon in the backend

Yannick, Buck, Dayo, Kwity crashing the line.

I don't envy offenses

Imagine this on third down. 

Ryan under center

Taylor in the backfield

Pittman double teamed

defense stacking the box

Sanchez putting on his helmet

:lol:

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

Imagine this on third down. 

Ryan under center

Taylor in the backfield

Pittman double teamed

defense stacking the box

:lol:

You think defenses didnt do that last year? How did that work out?

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Then we throw it to Hines in the flat on play action for a 20 yard gain :funny:

Not to rag on Carson, but I think it's common knowledge that Ryan has a lot better pre-snap (and post snap) awareness than Wentz did.  

I expect that play (dump to HInes) to come back to the arsenal big time.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Not to rag on Carson, but I think it's common knowledge that Ryan has a lot better pre-snap (and post snap) awareness than Wentz did.  

I expect that play (dump to HInes) to come back to the arsenal big time.

Me too, I expect to see a lot of Taylor and Hines in at the same time. Taylor can actually block well too. I can see Hines running out of the back field and downfield on many plays. Ryan is good at play action and short pass. I keep saying Hines is our ACE in the hole at making big plays. 

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

We could easily raise another $25 M with restructures. And could even lower Q's salary for this year on a new contract with a signing bonus.
  CB could sign both J Landry and Mathieu to Gilmore $$ contracts.
  I don't expect either.
   Duane Brown for $8-9M ???  

I would be surprised if we sign Brown after committing to Pryor and his new contract.  I am actually expecting a restructuring or two early next week.  Then I am expecting Landry to be flown in on Irsay’s jet and signing with the Colts.  I think there is a chance it could happen.  He needs to get Ryan another veteran weapon.  Hopefully next week is a big week for the offense.  Wishful thinking I know.  Lol

Just now, richard pallo said:

I would be surprised if we sign Brown after committing to Pryor and his new contract.  I am actually expecting a restructuring or two early next week.  Then I am expecting Landry to be flown in on Irsay’s jet and signing with the Colts.  I think there is a chance it could happen.  He needs to get Ryan another veteran weapon.  Hopefully next week is a big week for the offense.  Wishful thinking I know.  Lol

Irsay needs to bring this in for Landry Traveling On My Way GIF by NeighborlyNotary®- we can draft a LT with our 2. Landry would give Matt Ryan a nice weapon. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

The guarantee for one year is simply a stating of the obvious.  He is getting paid to start next year and play every snap that he can.  The back end $14m will be dependent upon how he plays this year, which I assume would require him to play very poorly to be cut.

I read somewhere that $14m was said to be Gilmore's market value presently. 

It seems like a pretty straightforward contract given the situation.

"The back end $14M"? Surely you meant the back end of the $14M?
  Is the $14M Fully guaranteed? I doubt it. 
  I would expect his salary is fully guarateed this season. Say $11.5.
  And $2.5M becomes guaranteed for 2023 if he plays 70%. 
   You posted some phooey about Ballard dumping FA vets for Dayo and Paye and that failed. NOT at ALL! We got younger, BOTH did about what one could hope for, but Ballard did get much less out of his young Veterans Lewis and Turay than he hoped. Perhaps if he kept those Old Players we might have crept into the playoffs. And we would be in much worse position today. It proved wise. JMO

With this move I think the defense is now stout.

defensive backs we have facyson, Rodgers, Moore, and Gilmore.  Can pick up depth in the draft

our line is looking stout with yannick, Grover, buck, and Paye who I think will have a great 2nd year jump.  Add in dayo and Lewis for depth on the ends and we’re looking good.

safties we have McLeod and Blackmon coming back from injury

linebackers could use some help but still solid

were definitely going with a offensive heavy draft.  If our pick isn’t a wr, it’s most likely a player we were high on and didn’t expect to drop 

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Yeah so there isn't no "probably" in it when comparing him to rhodes because he's alot better than what we had period that's the common sense part

Its been a common theme in this thread.  Gets derailed because I think of it as "probable" instead of "certain". 

Some weird stuff going on.  I think it has to do with Ballard love and the word "probable" doesn't validate it enough, so some find it offensive.  Just using common sense to understand where all of the drama is coming from.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

According to Spotrac, the draft picks as they stand now would account for less than $3.8M.  

Of course that would change depending on whether Ballard moves around in the draft.  

We only have about 10M left... gotta think they don't spend all of it, at least leave some for midseason moves if needed... 

42 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

"The back end $14M"? Surely you meant the back end of the $14M?
  Is the $14M Fully guaranteed? I doubt it. 
  I would expect his salary is fully guarateed this season. Say $11.5.
  And $2.5M becomes guaranteed for 2023 if he plays 70%. 
   You posted some phooey about Ballard dumping FA vets for Dayo and Paye and that failed. NOT at ALL! We got younger, BOTH did about what one could hope for, but Ballard did get much less out of his young Veterans Lewis and Turay than he hoped. Perhaps if he kept those Old Players we might have crept into the playoffs. And we would be in much worse position today. It proved wise. JMO

My math was wrong.  I meant the back end $9m.

Yes, we don't know how it is structured.  I'm assuming that a high part of that contract is going to read that a large portion is guaranteed this season, JMO.  Because of who our other corners are, we know that he's going to start and play every defensive snap this season, why not front load the guarantee?  Next season the guarantee should be less, but the earned salary portion might be slightly higher so that if Ballard dumps him for performance or availability, you're not guaranteeing money for a guy who isn't here....you've already paid a big portion of what you guaranteed this season when he was playing.  The back end $9m or so of the $23m has to be earned the second season.  This is my opinion about how it is structured.  I'm sure Ballard expects Gilmore to play well for 2 seasons, but he'll probably leave himself an out for next year by front loading the guaranteed portion.  

No, I never said any phooey about Dayo and Paye.   The guys who were supposed to take Autry and Houston's spots last year were Turay and Lewis, IMO.  Dayo wasn't on the starters radar because he was injured and even Paye was a rook. You can think of how Ballard was thinking about it any way you want, its a matter of opinion, but I always saw the noncommit to Autry and Houston as a signal for Lewis and Turay to step up last season.  That's what failed.

Edit:  I see you were referring to "phooey" about me saying "draft picks step up"  I didn't mean the rookies, I meant the guys previously drafted to be the long term answers at those positions. 

2 hours ago, masterlock said:

Yes, but depth is a better worry than what we had yesterday. 

Is there any reason why there haven't been restructuring yet, specifically Leonard's contract. Is there a reason to wait? Wouldn't it benefit both sides? Darius gets more guaranteed money, and we gain more space. I really would like Landry. 

1 minute ago, cbear said:

Is there any reason why there haven't been restructuring yet, specifically Leonard's contract. Is there a reason to wait? Wouldn't it benefit both sides? Darius gets more guaranteed money, and we gain more space. I really would like Landry. 

I think we will restructure a few players. At this point after the trade for Matt Ryan and the signing of Gilmore my patience level are back to normal now. I still think the most impactful move on defense may be the Yannick trade. We needed a pass rushing presence that can at least give us 10 sacks and a lot more pressure on QB's.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, our whole defense is pretty solid now. I'd like a depth CB like Cordale Flott or Alontae Taylor in the 4th round as a guy to develop, and maybe an EDGE as well in the 3rd or 4th. Other than that, we can probably go offense for the most part in the draft. Trade down a couple times and let Ballard do his thing.

All of a sudden, after one big signing, the defense looks much better and the draft seems doable. Gilmore isn't a 1st round pick by himself, but Gilmore, Matt Ryan, and Yannick for a 1st, 3rd, and Rock seems more even. That isn't even factoring in the swaps of draft picks and the extra 3rd that can turn into a 2nd next year. This is why I wanted a big FA signing like Gilmore. 

The Colts need to land a Pat Friermuth type weapon with that 2nd round pick. Greg Dulcich maybe? If they can do that alone, they are gonna be a very tough offense to stop. 

2 minutes ago, Goatface Killah said:

The Colts need to land a Pat Friermuth type weapon with that 2nd round pick. Greg Dulcich maybe? If they can do that alone, they are gonna be a very tough offense to stop. 

I agree with this but with Matt Ryan, Mo might have a break out year. When Ebron had Luck he looked like an all-pro.

16 minutes ago, cbear said:

No need to kick the bill to next year until we need to do it. 

I like the signing.  Adds quality to our defense.  I was thinking, he would be asking for a contract in the $10 - $15 million per year range and thought $12 mil per year would be a good signing. I heard Philly was his next choice to sign with. Not sure if Philly offered a little more but maybe he like the vibe in Indy, the quality of the organization and chance to play with a contender.  The AFC has a lot of good teams and Indy is one of them, a couple good teams will not make the playoffs in 2022.

I was just watching some 2021 highlights of Gilmore.  He has an int on Matt Ryan.   I seen the he was covering their blue chip #1 draft choice TE Kyle Pitts a lot.  Maybe Carolina's defensive gameplan was to put Gilmore, man to man on Atlanta's most dangerous receiver, even if he is a TE.  Gilmore has good size for a CB at 6-1, 202 lbs.

If we can restructure some contracts and add one more quality free agent, that would be great.  I'm already feeling pretty good, compared to our dire situation a month ago.  

3 minutes ago, Caffrey said:

I like the signing.  Adds quality to our defense.  I was thinking, he would be asking for a contract in the $10 - $15 million per year range and thought $12 mil per year would be a good signing. I heard Philly was his next choice to sign with. Not sure if Philly offered a little more but maybe he like the vibe in Indy, the quality of the organization and chance to play with a contender.  The AFC has a lot of good teams and Indy is one of them, a couple good teams will not make the playoffs in 2022.

I was just watching some 2021 highlights of Gilmore.  He has an int on Matt Ryan.   I seen the he was covering their blue chip #1 draft choice TE Kyle Pitts a lot.  Maybe Carolina's defensive gameplan was to put Gilmore, man to man on Atlanta's most dangerous receiver, even if he is a TE.  Gilmore has good size for a CB at 6-1, 202 lbs.

If we can restructure some contracts and add one more quality free agent, that would be great.  I'm already feeling pretty good, compared to our dire situation a month ago.  

Matty Ice is probably smiling somewhere, he is like, they just a signed a guy that picked me off :funny:

Archived